Consumer Level Disney World of Wonder (WOW) vs. DVE Blu Ray - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 450 Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I understand the pixel flipper doesn't run over night, or even for one hour for you, but RB just said it only needs the amount of time needed to correct the stuck pixel. If it won't run 1 hour for you then run it for 30 minutes back to back...If you've run it for hours on end (manually of course) with no result isn't it about time to just cope with the fact that you have pixel that is beyond help?

Or

Maybe your luck is just ******.

Not that I should have to explain my wanting to use an app and have it work properly as advertised - and also what RB says is turning less and less credible the more he talks on the subject.... but I want to use the pixel flipper for its plasma anti-image retention abilities (as is advertised by the app itself even). To do so effectively requires periodic use for at least an hour at a time. Certainly disappointing to pay for something that has a brand name like Disney on it and have it not work with an equally big brand name, Sony. Ironically if I'd tried to use this app on my Sony overnight (as it suggests for tougher plasma retention) I would have ended up with tough plasma retention.

I don't understand why you think I've run it hours on end, as I've said quite a few times I've only managed to get it to run for 15-30 minutes on my screen and also tested it on a few other tvs that don't need it that have sony's hooked up to them....no way am I going to sit there and restart the bluray player every 30 minutes.

I get it, I have a bad product and I won't waste anymore of your reading time on that - I won't make that mistake again and will continue to recommend anyone with similar needs find an alternate product as this one is poorly made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 450 Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Everything I have said is accurate in every post I have made to date on this topic.

Here are the Facts.

* The WOW disc meets all BD Specifications.

* The disc was tested on Sony players by Testronic Labs.

* The Sony WOW disc works on all Sony BD Players we have tested with.

* The disc works on my Sony PS-3.

* If you are correct in stating it has an issue the BD Java Pixel Flipper, then it is a player issue and it is isolated to your specific model or models in that line.

* You only need to run the Pixel Flipper long enough to correct any burn-in or stuck pixels.

* Typically, one (1) hour ... or two (2) thirty (30) minute sessions in your case with your specific Sony Model ... should do the trick. Running for a few hours or longer will not hurt anything.

* If you run the Pixel Flipper and do not see a change in the stick pixel .... then you very well may have a dead pixel. The Pixel Flipper cannot bring Pixels back from the dead.

* You will find that all BD Java applications that run in memory will do this in your Sony Player model.

* This is a player issue and it is due to Sony's approach / design.

* Testronic Labs is the standard in the industry for BD Player compatibility and disc testing.

* Testronic Labs did a great job considering the fact that this is the only reported instance of any issue with the Pixel Flipper that we have had in over 2 years this disc has been on the market.

* The calibration features of the disc still work fine ... even in your Sony player model.

* You can make any recommendation you want ... I recommend you buy an OPPO.

Hope that info helps to clarify matters for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

So first you said you tested it on sony players, and now you say some other company tested it in general and can't confirm that they tested it on a sony player at all. I'm getting a partial sense of how a product gets released in the current condition from that alone.

Hard to see an issue if you don't run it just once on a Sony player for the length of time advertised as being effective (1hr - overnight). I don't know why you jump to the conclusion that its the screen saver either, the screensaver was disabled on all 3 models I tested. The sony player has an autostandby feature that stops spinning the disc if it detects no activity.

I agree its not a disc issue, imo its poor development and testing at the least. If tested right, you could at least advertise that you should not buy the product for use on a Sony player.

I stand by my recommendation to not purchase this disc if you use a Sony Player.

I would get your money back from that test company also.

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #423 of 450 Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for purchasing and using our products as well as the kind words.

We worked very hard to create this and bring it to market at great expense.

Not everyone appreciates this....which I why I will never produce another one ...! smile.gif

Thank you..smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post

RBFilms, I'd honestly say in my opinion you've accomplished your goals and this really is a great set of discs. Since I haven't played with everything out there, I can't legitimately claim best there as (as I simply don't know enough to judge that), but I can tell you I think it's a fantastic resource and in most cases better than other things I've used, so based on what I've seen, yes it is.

I do see what you mean about the filter being thicker and multiple layers, which is not the case with my Avia rectangular filter. I can certainly see why this would be superior, and I had no issue with the blue gel itself; my only issue was with the shape and limited viewing area (the "monocle" design), but I now see where you're coming from.

Point taken about adjusting color taking more time being possibly a good thing. As I said, my Avia settings were very close to the settings I arrived at with WOW, and the former was easier/quicker to arrive at, but it would make sense that WOW might be slightly more accurate given the higher quality blue gel and it taking more time on the minute adjustments. I certainly didn't feel any reason to go back to the Avia values, and in fact, after a few days of watching like this, I can say all told, my picture overall has never looked as good! There's quite a noticeable improvement from the already pretty good picture I was getting from an Avia-only calibration. I think the biggest difference was made by the advanced contrast pattern, but other things like the small color difference may be contributing also.

Understood that 3D is a new technology and you need to concentrate on your current product. I guess I'm just saying I wish (with future products; I know that's unrealistic now for this one) there was a mode to use the 2D patterns in 3D mode (not completely new specific 3D-related patterns). In other words, take the current color pattern and convert it so it displays correctly when the TV goes into its 3D mode. As far as I know, there's still no product on the market that does this.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond and the hard work on a product I'm sure I'll enjoy and keep using.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #424 of 450 Old 04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Not that I should have to explain my wanting to use an app and have it work properly as advertised - and also what RB says is turning less and less credible the more he talks on the subject.... but I want to use the pixel flipper for its plasma anti-image retention abilities (as is advertised by the app itself even). To do so effectively requires periodic use for at least an hour at a time. Certainly disappointing to pay for something that has a brand name like Disney on it and have it not work with an equally big brand name, Sony. Ironically if I'd tried to use this app on my Sony overnight (as it suggests for tougher plasma retention) I would have ended up with tough plasma retention.

I don't understand why you think I've run it hours on end, as I've said quite a few times I've only managed to get it to run for 15-30 minutes on my screen and also tested it on a few other tvs that don't need it that have sony's hooked up to them....no way am I going to sit there and restart the bluray player every 30 minutes.

I get it, I have a bad product and I won't waste anymore of your reading time on that - I won't make that mistake again and will continue to recommend anyone with similar needs find an alternate product as this one is poorly made.
I think your issue is a setting in your player. If you PM me your phone number, I would be happy to troubleshoot with you over the phone.
post #425 of 450 Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you DeWayne. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Quote:

I think your issue is a setting in your player. If you PM me your phone number, I would be happy to troubleshoot with you over the phone.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #426 of 450 Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=7106806
Quote:

So first you said you tested it on sony players, and now you say some other company tested it in general and can't confirm that they tested it on a sony player at all. I'm getting a partial sense of how a product gets released in the current condition from that alone.

Hard to see an issue if you don't run it just once on a Sony player for the length of time advertised as being effective (1hr - overnight). I don't know why you jump to the conclusion that its the screen saver either, the screensaver was disabled on all 3 models I tested. The sony player has an autostandby feature that stops spinning the disc if it detects no activity.

I agree its not a disc issue, imo its poor development and testing at the least. If tested right, you could at least advertise that you should not buy the product for use on a Sony player.

I stand by my recommendation to not purchase this disc if you use a Sony Player.

I would get your money back from that test company also.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #427 of 450 Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Pm'd my phone number and said that I doubt there's more to try than Sony suggested, but really if there's a setting on the Sony players please just post it here so everyone with a Sony player can benefit from the 'fix'. I've tried all settings in my player when I was dealing with this on my S590 and contacted Sony. If you have a suggested setting to try, I will test it for the benefit of others on my S590 but will not be going out of my way again to try it on the S390 or S370. As it is, I already am employing a more effective alternative.
post #428 of 450 Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Thank you for purchasing and using our products as well as the kind words.

We worked very hard to create this and bring it to market at great expense.

Not everyone appreciates this....which I why I will never produce another one ...! smile.gif

Thank you..smile.gif

You're just joking right?

Surely you aren't going to forgo profits just because a few people on the internet.

EDIT- I almost forgot.

Your company sucks major ass for shutting down Lucas Arts gaming division and laying off 150 people. I was really looking forward to Star Wars 1313. If it's really about cutting losses, tell Disney to stop spending $200 million on piece of trash movies like John Carter.

home theater addict
post #429 of 450 Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Bitter much?

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #430 of 450 Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Bitter much?

Yes. George Lucas sold his empire too early and to the wrong company. Why would you shut down every current SW project just to focus on the new movies? Which are sure to be horrible.

home theater addict
post #431 of 450 Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry for bumping this older reply, but i am frustrated with this whole Disney WOW experience. I purchased the BD 2 disc version recently and recieved it promptly via Amazon. I was excited to try out the "pixel flipper" utility as i have something close to burn in on my Samsung E6500 screen. The utility would run for about 20 minutes and shut off. Another poster on here says thats due to the SONY BD player and there's no way to turn on off the sleep feature. It thinks your utility is a "paused" screen. And shuts down. Therefore , i cannot run the disk for the 1hour mininum as suggested in the instructions much less over night. Very disappointing. SO, not to be detered, i ordered the DVD 2 disc version from Walmart (Amazon only offered used copies from 3rd parties) and received it this week. I planned on running the utility from my Xbox 360 which i can manipulate to stay on. Much to my bitter disappointment the DVD version doesnt come with Pixel Flipper!!! The main reason i even bought these discs was for the pixel flipper functionality and after spending a lot of money i cant get back, i still dont have that funcitonality. My Sony BD Player is Model # Sony BR S590. Reading through the thread i now see sony isnt the BD player to own mad.gif but what is everyone else running that are able to play this Disc, and 3d? I saw your recommend on an OPPO and while that may be a nice set, their $500 plus price tag is hard to get past. It would have been nice if somehwere on your disc you had a compatibility matrix so consumers can know if your code works on their players. The rest of the disc so far is excellent and combined with DVE and AVSHD 709 its a nice addition to geek out with. If i call Sony support, what can i ask of them to address this issue? do you know specifically why these players arent detecting activity? I dont care to point fingers and i just want to see if Sony can firmware fix this or is there a downloadable version somehwere i can rip to a DVD? thanks and i know some of this has been commented on in bits and pieces.
post #432 of 450 Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The player is good. One of the few that can stream dd5.1 from both Netflix and amazon. You can stream burnin apps and play loops from the Internet via your player, or burn them. The disc is a coaster though.
post #433 of 450 Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldiver View Post

The utility would run for about 20 minutes and shut off.

If you can hook up a PC, see my post for a free Pixel Flipper equivalent that will run as long you want it to:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100/720#post_23394469
post #434 of 450 Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:

The player is good. One of the few that can stream dd5.1 from both Netflix and amazon. You can stream burnin apps and play loops from the Internet via your player, or burn them. The disc is a coaster though.

MO assuming this was never resolved ?I have the exact same issue with my Sony player. Disappointing to say the least.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #435 of 450 Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the test team buddy! Next time they should pay us or let us beta. Unbelievable they didn't account for the largest manufacturer of blu ray players in the world, isn't it?!
post #436 of 450 Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

@RBfilms

Does Disney WOW come with Fleshtone test material? Thanks.

I read Disney suggests Miley's vma performance as a test for accurate flesh tones.
post #437 of 450 Old 09-06-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Welcome to the test team buddy! Next time they should pay us or let us beta. Unbelievable they didn't account for the largest manufacturer of blu ray players in the world, isn't it?!

Yes it is, I was able to get it to run for 30 minutes with the screen saver disabled but then the bluray turns off completely frown.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #438 of 450 Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM

I recently purchase the Disney wow dis and really like the results I got on my new set for basic controls ie brightness contrast color tint and sharpness. it is much easier to navigate and use than the hddvd copy of dve I had. in an attempt to get "more into" my hobby I have ordered an i1Display pro with calman 5 software. this may be a foolish question but here goes. does the wow disc have the appropriate test patterns I will need to do a proper greyscale gamma and cms calibration? I ask simply because ive been through the whole menu system and it seems to be missing a lot of the test patterns I remember seeing in dve and I suspect that it doesn't. I would like to get to the bottom of this now so that I can get a new test disc in time for when my meter arrives.
post #439 of 450 Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by denide View Post

does the wow disc have the appropriate test patterns I will need to do a proper greyscale gamma and cms calibration? I ask simply because ive been through the whole menu system and it seems to be missing a lot of the test patterns I remember seeing in dve and I suspect that it doesn't. I would like to get to the bottom of this now so that I can get a new test disc in time for when my meter arrives.
No, it doesn't. You can download a couple free ones right from these forums, just search for them. One of them is AVS HD 709.
post #440 of 450 Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

No, it doesn't. You can download a couple free ones right from these forums, just search for them. One of them is AVS HD 709.

I had a feeling that would be the case thanks. I will look in to the avs hd 709 details but as I only have a netbook right now it would probably cost more to purchase a dvd/bluray burner then it would for a new bd dve or spears & munsil bd.
post #441 of 450 Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I had a feeling that would be the case thanks. I will look in to the avs hd 709 details but as I only have a netbook right now it would probably cost more to purchase a dvd/bluray burner then it would for a new bd dve or spears & munsil bd.
If you have a way to play them via USB, you could do that. If you have to buy a new disc I would go with Spears & Munsil 2nd edition. They have the patterns that you'll need.
post #442 of 450 Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:

3 sony models later, same results. All firmware updated. S590, S390, S370. These 3 models have staggering amounts of reviews on amazon and clearly seem to be mainstream players.

Why don't you tell us which SONY models you have tested it on and it can complete the full 1hr cycle on?

I have the S590, and the pixel flipper works perfectly.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #443 of 450 Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I was finally able to get it to work on my Sony BDV7 by disabling the screen saver and auto shut off features loops endlessly now smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #444 of 450 Old 09-25-2013, 01:30 PM

funniest thing about all this is I spent an a afternoon at a friends learning how to properly burn and ISO to a dvd and have it play in my ps3 only to find a copy of avshd709 in the box with my colorimeter. hahaha
post #445 of 450 Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:

funniest thing about all this is I spent an a afternoon at a friends learning how to properly burn and ISO to a dvd and have it play in my ps3 only to find a copy of avshd709 in the box with my colorimeter. hahaha

Is that free to be bundled with commercial products?  Is it licensed?  (I hope).

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #446 of 450 Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Liked: 12
I have a Sony BDP-S5100 and it stops playing after 15 minutes I turned off the screen saver. There is no setting for auto shut off.
post #447 of 450 Old 02-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Is that free to be bundled with commercial products?  Is it licensed?  (I hope).
To be honest I'm not sure.when I looked over the products website again they are very vague about the disc and I even emailed calman to find out what they recommend and they said nothing about an included test disc to me in the response I received. Weird.
post #448 of 450 Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

This question for the Disney WOW creators, is there any data availible that would indicate of how an hour of the pixel flipper would correlate to actual tv viewing of mixed content ? Probablly a long shot but could one calculate the likely duration to remove IR or would it be a 1 to 1 ratio ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #449 of 450 Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Liked: 11
To the individuals that worked on this disc, Thank you! The blue filter alone is worth it. So quick and easy!
post #450 of 450 Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 PM

my TV, plasma, has IR, read the great reviews about the Disney WOW flipper and how it could possibly resolve IR issues .... found out tonight when I received the disc that because I have a standard sony blu ray player that I can't use the flipper over night.

VERY DISAPPOINTED! because I bought this mainly for the flipper assuming my standard sony player with the current firmware would work.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page