Consumer Level Disney World of Wonder (WOW) vs. DVE Blu Ray - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 450 Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thankx Transfix. So you're saying that in the Panasonic Blu ray player "Function Menu" > "Other Functions" > "Set Up", the "Audio" > "Digital Audio Output" the the "BD-Video Secondary Audio" has to be "Off" in order for the surround sound to function properly the way it was intended?

Is this just the case w/ this W.O.W. blu ray, or all blu rays & DVDs on the player?

I just the W.O.W. blu ray today as a gift & plan on using it soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 450 Old 12-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxhero View Post

thankx Transfix. So you're saying that in the Panasonic Blu ray player "Function Menu" > "Other Functions" > "Set Up", the "Audio" > "Digital Audio Output" the the "BD-Video Secondary Audio" has to be "Off" in order for the surround sound to function properly the way it was intended?

Is this just the case w/ this W.O.W. blu ray, or all blu rays & DVDs on the player?

I just the W.O.W. blu ray today as a gift & plan on using it soon.

Exactly and this goes for all blurays. I just rewatched Toy Story 3 and the full 7.1 dts master audio was ouput. What a difference. Panasonic should really make this clearer as I'm sure there are many others overlooking this and not getting their full audio experience. btw bd secondary audio is on by default :-/

When in Doubt...Go Flatout!
post #63 of 450 Old 12-26-2010, 05:00 AM

That's cool. See, if you didn't have this disc you may never have discovered you were not getting the full audio experience from your setup.... If you haven't already, I would post your finding over in the appropriate Bluray player forum

DJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
8.5% of the human population
post #64 of 450 Old 12-26-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So did the AVIA Disc function differently than the WOW disc?

As you stated, you found the problem with you player and the WOW disc now functions correctly. That is a good thing....

However, I am confused as to whether the other disc indicated the same problem or not. If you are not getting truly discreet sound, then both discs should indicate the exact same issue.

All of the Disney WOW World of Wonder discs, including the bonus disc entitled Visions, meet our very rigid and tough Digital Reference Standard.

I can still feel the pain of going through at least a dozen or more very detailed, lengthy, and expensive QC Tests before the WOW Discs were approved for release!

Even though the Disney WOW World of Wonder disc is easy and fun, we are very serious about our calibration, testing & evaluation patterns. The WOW discs feature the most detailed instructions and some of the best quality Professional A/V Tools available.

Thank you for being a customer..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfix View Post
i checked with avia ii as well as my receiver test tones and all is fine but when im running the speaker id,phase,etc i hear sound coming out of both surround left and back or right surround and back

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #65 of 450 Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Manufacturers all make different choices. Back in the day when I worked for DTS Entertainment, certain DVD Players shipped with the DTS Bitstream off. This made no sense as there is no downside to switching it on. What this meant is that certain Big Name brands of DVD Players would not play DTS Audio.

I always suggest going through EVERY menu on a piece of new gear and learning what you equipment is capable of...and how it is set from the factory.

I would go in and disable ALL of the "Auto Yuck" settings ... as my technician calls them ... on your HD Panel and check all settings on your BD Player and receiver as well.

The best sound and picture always comes form the minimal amount of processing required to be within spec.

A lot of the old school analog "straight wire" theories still apply to Digital in a different yet similar sort of way.

Quote:
Exactly and this goes for all blurays. I just rewatched Toy Story 3 and the full 7.1 dts master audio was ouput. What a difference. Panasonic should really make this clearer as I'm sure there are many others overlooking this and not getting their full audio experience. btw bd secondary audio is on by default :-/

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #66 of 450 Old 12-26-2010, 02:22 PM

All my discs are now outputting full audio specs. Avia II is only on dvd for the moment but it also was only outputting dolby digital and not dolby digital ex until I turned of BD Secodary Audio.

I too turn of all processing features. I like my equipment to give me the raw output. I had to dig through my bluray to find the culprit.

post #67 of 450 Old 12-26-2010, 03:34 PM

that's interesting. I have a Panasonic Blu ray player as well, & from the manual it said that Secondary Audio would be the films original audio, which i thought might be worse than the "Bitstream", but I will move it to Off instead of on.

I was wondering about the W.O.W. disc, how come it doesn't include a Red & Green film like the DVE HD Basics blu ray did?

I also think it might be helpful if the dvd was used w/ the top name brand tvs. (LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Visio) so it could distinguish & specifically identify what each each company calls each feature/function option.
post #68 of 450 Old 12-26-2010, 04:49 PM

does your tv have a rgb only mode? i just set my individual colors and tweak from there. no need for the film strips.

post #69 of 450 Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 PM

not sure what you mean exactly. I have Color, Tint, & Color Temperature Settings. Deep Color option, xv color,& RGB enhanced I believe.

I own a Panasonic TCP42S2 plasma tv & a DMP-BD65 blu ray player
post #70 of 450 Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxhero View Post

not sure what you mean exactly. I have Color, Tint, & Color Temperature Settings. Deep Color option, xv color,& RGB enhanced I believe.

I own a Panasonic TCP42S2 plasma tv & a DMP-BD65 blu ray player

just read your manual and it doesnt look like the option is there. it basically does exactly what the red,green,blue filters you get with the calibrations disc do, only its your whole tv screen. makes it easier to adjust.

post #71 of 450 Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

just read your manual and it doesnt look like the option is there. it basically does exactly what the red,green,blue filters you get with the calibrations disc do, only its your whole tv screen. makes it easier to adjust.

The colored filters that come with some home theater setup and calibration discs are for detecting color decoder errors, plus the blue filter aids in the adjustment of overall chroma level, and tint, on sets without a blue only mode built in. They should NOT be used for adjusting individual red, green, and blue bias and gain in color management systems. That requires sophisticated instrumentation and associated software.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #72 of 450 Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

The colored filters that come with some home theater setup and calibration discs are for detecting color decoder errors, plus the blue filter aids in the adjustment of overall chroma level, and tint, on sets without a blue only mode built in. They should NOT be used for adjusting individual red, green, and blue bias and gain in color management systems. That requires sophisticated instrumentation and associated software.

G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

actually on my set it is specifically used for calibrating. you set the appropriate channel and adjust color and hue as you would with the individual filters. my isf tech was the one who made me aware of the feature

post #73 of 450 Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Alan...I could not have said it better myself...

Quote:

G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #74 of 450 Old 12-28-2010, 11:07 AM

Got this for Christmas and I love it!
It is a perfect compliment to my other calibration discs like DVE and Spears and Munsil, and of course the great (and free) AVSHD disc.
Plus it has things on it that I used to have to carry around on seperate discs like the extensive bass rattle test that is like the one on Real Traps.
But the absolute best part is the reference clips from Disney movies.
I set up my sisters and her children's TVs and they are amazed afterwards when these clips show them just how great their TV's can look.
Maybe I overlooked it - but I was dissapointed that the short Goofy cartoon about Home Theater that I saw before "Up" at the movies was not there. It just seemed like these went hand in hand.
But everything else made up for it.

-Phil
Birmingham, AL
post #75 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just purchased this online and looking forward to see what it can do.
post #76 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgguy View Post

Just purchased this online and looking forward to see what it can do.

Does this mean that the AV Science Forum is devolving into Twitter?
post #77 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM

I recently got the Disney WOW Bluray and spent last night going through the entire disc. (When I say the entire disc I mean I went through basically EVERYTHING over about 3 hours, including the entire 2nd disc that only had reference quality material on it). I first set everything according to the Beginner settings and then moved to the Expert/Advanced settings (I don't quite remember how it was named).

Honestly, I have to say I didn't find that much was needed on my setup. I have a 1080P Sanyo projector displaying 110" in a dedicated media room (completely void of exterior light and is entirely painted in a non-reflective black).

The only setting that I changed to any real degree was brightness, which went +5 over default. Contrast was left at 0 (default) and Color and Tint were both set to +3 over default. Sharpness was tightened up slightly.

This is not to say the disc is not worth getting, because I found it to be quite informative and very easy to use, I just wish it got a bit more in-depth with calibration, but perhaps that is beyond what can be done without high-end calibration equipment. I plan to adjust my 42" LCD this evening using the disc.

Unless I'm wrong it seemed like the only real video calibration available was for Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color/Chroma and Tint/Hue

Is there any way to accurately set Red/Green/Blue and Gamma?

I saw the Gamma display, but should I attempt to "eyeball" the calibration to adjust the gamma so that the 2.2 field appears to be the one that blends into the background the best?

Also, it seemed like for Contrast and Brightness, regardless of how dark or bright the screen got, I could never see the items that were supposed to be invisible. It was ALWAYS invisible. What I ended up doing was adjusting each setting until I was just able to start seeing the +1% visible star or set of boxes.

Finally, if I went between the expert and beginner brightness/contrast calibrations it required different calibration, which was odd to me. If I set it according to the expert diagrams it was always considerably off from what appeared to be necessary for correct settings on the beginner diagrams.

I know this was a lot of text for my first post, but any comments and advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks
post #78 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Does this mean that the AV Science Forum is devolving into Twitter?

Hope not.
post #79 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 View Post

Also, it seemed like for Contrast and Brightness, regardless of how dark or bright the screen got, I could never see the items that were supposed to be invisible. It was ALWAYS invisible. What I ended up doing was adjusting each setting until I was just able to start seeing the +1% visible star or set of boxes.

Some devices automatically clip anything above or below BTB or WTW. What you did is correct if you can't see the BTB or WTW bars.
post #80 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 View Post

This is not to say the disc is not worth getting, because I found it to be quite informative and very easy to use, I just wish it got a bit more in-depth with calibration, but perhaps that is beyond what can be done without high-end calibration equipment. I plan to adjust my 42" LCD this evening using the disc.

Unless I'm wrong it seemed like the only real video calibration available was for Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color/Chroma and Tint/Hue

Is there any way to accurately set Red/Green/Blue and Gamma?

This is pretty much the case.

Once you try to start calibrating the whitepoint and do grayscale and gamma you need a colorimeter. I wouldn't say that needs to be "high-end" to do a better job than as the unit shipped.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #81 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Ok, thanks a lot...that explains why I couldn't see the Ideal Black or Ideal White on either of my images (Via my 1080P Projector or my 42" LCD). Makes me less concerned that I was doing something VERY wrong

Now my final question...

On the sharpness test, I found very little change in the "Text to Assist with Focus" or the "Sharpness Adjustment Box" on either my projector or TV.

With the projector I was able to see the actual grid layout of the image getting sharper or softer and set the sharpness according to the grid lines, but on my TV I really cannot see any change anywhere. Any tips on SPECIFICS to look for?

Thanks for the help....finished up my LCD tv other than the Sharpness and it took more adjustment than the projector.

This disc has been money well spent
post #82 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

This is pretty much the case.

Once you try to start calibrating the whitepoint and do grayscale and gamma you need a colorimeter. I wouldn't say that needs to be "high-end" to do a better job than as the unit shipped.

Any suggestions on where to look to pick one up?

I'm not one to not search, but by your post count you've been around the forum quite a while and could probably save me a lot of time if you knew something off-hand

Thanks.
post #83 of 450 Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I'm partial to spectracal, but I do also work there.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #84 of 450 Old 12-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Ha ha, ok.

I'll take a look at them
post #85 of 450 Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 AM

Does anyone know where to find the Disney WOW Blu Ray? It seems to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone know of any reputable sellers online or any brick and mortar stores that have this available?
post #86 of 450 Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by truz View Post

Does anyone know where to find the Disney WOW Blu Ray? It seems to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone know of any reputable sellers online or any brick and mortar stores that have this available?

I was able to get one last week at a local Barnes and Noble.
post #87 of 450 Old 01-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truz View Post

WOW! (pun inteneded) Looks like Richard has done too good of a job promoting the disc which he said recently that he was busy doing. Just did a search and seems like everyone is out of stock and looking at 7-14 day shipping date...
I also saw that a couple of my kids disney DVDs now come with some basic image calibration features on them. didn't check them out so not sure if its a sample from the WOW disc or not...

DJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
8.5% of the human population
post #88 of 450 Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 AM

For those who are in Canada Futureshop.ca has plenty in stock. For our American friends I'm sure you'll have little in the way of taxes and duties to pay, so it might be worth ordering it from here.

post #89 of 450 Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul355 View Post

I was able to get one last week at a local Barnes and Noble.

Thanks for the Tip! My local B&N didn't have em, but one about 20mins from me has them in stock. I actually just reserved it for In Store pickup, heading out in a little to grab it.
post #90 of 450 Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 AM

I'll be going through the calibration today with my panasonic tc-p50gt25, and have a quick question,

Should I be doing the calibration based off of a preset mode (like THX mode, which I think produces some nice results on it's own) or should I start the calibration from Custom mode? Does it matter?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page