Consumer Level Disney World of Wonder (WOW) vs. DVE Blu Ray - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 450 Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by truz View Post
I'll be going through the calibration today with my panasonic tc-p50gt25, and have a quick question,

Should I be doing the calibration based off of a preset mode (like THX mode, which I think produces some nice results on it's own) or should I start the calibration from Custom mode? Does it matter?
THX mode is global, effects all inputs. Also has limited adjustments and no pro adjustments. So any adjustment you do there will effect each input. Custom mode will be specific to each input and has full adjust-ability.
rdgrimes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 450 Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Newbie
 
bobv1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to follow up on a couple of FloydSummerof68 questions... (I have an Oppo 83 and Pioneer Pro-141FD)

1. I too struggled with the Sharpness adjustment. It's probably me but going from one extreme to the other didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Is there something specific I should be looking for?

2. I had had this system professionally calibrated previously so the ISF settings are there. The person who did the calibrations also calibrated the PURE mode. Consequently when I started the WOW calibration those settings were already there. Should I have 'reset' and started from the factory settings or does that matter?

3. Part of the calibration were the color temperature settings. Reading the comments I understand that these need special instrumentation. My question, perhaps obvious to others but not to me, is what effect these color temperature settings have on the color setting itself or indeed any other setting.

4. Finally, gamma. Once again I had difficulty getting the 2.2 to "blend" into the background nor did the instruction portion of this segment show it, to my eyes, blending in. Going from 1 to 5 the 2.2 bar just got marginally darker and lighter. Is there some other reference I could use other than blending in to the background?

Finally, thank you for producing this disc. I learned a lot.
bobv1.0 is offline  
post #93 of 450 Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Member
 
jake9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobv1.0 View Post

Just to follow up on a couple of FloydSummerof68 questions... (I have an Oppo 83 and Pioneer Pro-141FD)

1. I too struggled with the Sharpness adjustment. It's probably me but going from one extreme to the other didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Is there something specific I should be looking for?

Me too. The sharpness adjustment didn't react to my adjustments. I just thought it was my TV (Toshiba LCD HDTV).

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
jake9 is offline  
post #94 of 450 Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post

Me too. The sharpness adjustment didn't react to my adjustments. I just thought it was my TV (Toshiba LCD HDTV).

Sharpness adjustments really have no place in digital video. No 2 TVs are actually doing the same thing with respect to this "adjustment", and some of them do nothing at all. It's one of those marketing-based features that TV makers think has to be there.

The general consensus now days is that in the absence of any evidence to suggest otherwise, it should be set to "0". If you can demonstrate that a zero setting creates some softness in the test patterns, there's no harm in moving it up. Any setting that results in "ringing" in the patterns should be avoided. But by and large it should be at 0.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #95 of 450 Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Newbie
 
bobv1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for clarifying the Sharpness issue. I re-read an earlier post by you about black levels. I re-checked the calibration on my Oppo because I recalled the person who did the calibration mentioning that there was an "issue" between Pioneer plasmas and Oppo's. The only deviation off 0 was Contrast which was toned down 3 notches.

Curious, I reset it also to 0 and retried the WOW contrast/brightness settings. Suddenly the tests were much more meaningful and the settings more beneficial.

Thank you as well for the gamma reference in an earlier post. Now I know what to look for.

I just watched Red Cliff Part 1 in Blu-ray and I think it was my most enjoyable viewing experience ever.

I have to mention that I found the second disc in the WOW set somewhat disappointing. The first 3 features I could relate to and were wonderful. The rest, particularly the 'enhanced' clips, had absolutely no relevance to me. Can't recall the last time I saw parchment morphing into budding flowers or dessert scenes morphing into whatever.

Can't help but think that more 'reality' in these clips would have complimented the calibration experience.
bobv1.0 is offline  
post #96 of 450 Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Member
 
giraffejumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone having any issues with the "pixel flipper" pattern?
I think it just may be some kind of setting in my Panasonic plasma, maybe anti-burn in, but when it loads it looks as if it freezes up and then my screen starts fading into a much darker color.
My older 720p/1080i LCD shows a "scrambled" or "off air" analog channel with colors like I would expect it to look as it turns on and off all the pixels rapidly.
I see that same pattern on the plasma, except that it doesn't move, and then the fade begins.
What is weird is that on a couple of the "burst" patterns on Spears and Munsil it does this same kind of fade.

-Phil
giraffejumper is offline  
post #97 of 450 Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York / California
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Pixel Flipper on this disc is NOT encoded noise. It is an actual BD Java Application that takes control of each pixel and turns them on and off individually. Make sure you update your firmware on your player. The Pixel Flipper was tested with a variety of players.

Please update your firmware and if you are still having issues, then please provide us with the player make and model you are having issues with and we can test it.

best,

Rich



Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffejumper View Post

Is anyone having any issues with the "pixel flipper" pattern?
I think it just may be some kind of setting in my Panasonic plasma, maybe anti-burn in, but when it loads it looks as if it freezes up and then my screen starts fading into a much darker color.
My older 720p/1080i LCD shows a "scrambled" or "off air" analog channel with colors like I would expect it to look as it turns on and off all the pixels rapidly.
I see that same pattern on the plasma, except that it doesn't move, and then the fade begins.
What is weird is that on a couple of the "burst" patterns on Spears and Munsil it does this same kind of fade.

-Phil


Richard J. Casey



Disney WOW - World of Wonder


Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
RBFilms is offline  
post #98 of 450 Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Member
 
jake9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Sharpness adjustments really have no place in digital video. No 2 TVs are actually doing the same thing with respect to this "adjustment", and some of them do nothing at all. It's one of those marketing-based features that TV makers think has to be there.

The general consensus now days is that in the absence of any evidence to suggest otherwise, it should be set to "0". If you can demonstrate that a zero setting creates some softness in the test patterns, there's no harm in moving it up. Any setting that results in "ringing" in the patterns should be avoided. But by and large it should be at 0.

Mine was set at 50 (half-way point). I will try it at zero for a while. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
jake9 is offline  
post #99 of 450 Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Newbie
 
pretater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by truz View Post

I'll be going through the calibration today with my panasonic tc-p50gt25, and have a quick question,

Should I be doing the calibration based off of a preset mode (like THX mode, which I think produces some nice results on it's own) or should I start the calibration from Custom mode? Does it matter?

Did you (or anyone else with a TC-P50GT25) get good results from the calibration process?

Everything went well for me, except contrast calibration. With either the beginner or advance contrast calibration tools within WOW, I wasn't able to get anything close to an ideal setting. Aside from adjusting contrast, I tried playing with the brightness, and all other settings I could find. In beginner contrast cailibration (in a dark room), I could not adjust settings such that the right-hand vertical set of bars would be visible whatsoever (with contrast set to 0, 100, or anything between).

I also tried starting with the settings CNET used for their review of the model (forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-502107.html?tag=rvwBody), and got the same thing.

I'm trying to determine if the results I'm getting are a limitation of the TV model, a faulty TV, the source (doubt it), or user error.
pretater is offline  
post #100 of 450 Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Member
 
avswilier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All
New to PJs, and getting the WOW disc on Thursday. Would appreciate help on the following, after reading the WOW manual:

1) The WOW manual tells you to switch off all the special features. Does this include the Iris feature?
2) I have the Panasonic PT-AE4000U, and read that Cinema 1 out of the box is very good. Should I use this as the starting point?
3) I have 3 devices going into my PJ via 3 separate HDMI, i.e. PS3, eGreat Media Player and Sony DVD Player. The WOW disc is a Bluray, going through my PS3. If I do the calibration with my PS3 being the source, will this translate ok to the other devices, or do i need to calibrate 3 times, one for each source and then save the settings in a separate Memory in the PJ for each device?
4) I watch most of my movies from the eGreat, which has a mkv copy of my Blurays. Will the colors be the same as on the PS3 showing a Bluray?

Sorry about the noob Qs... new to this world, but enjoying it alot so far!!!
avswilier is offline  
post #101 of 450 Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York / California
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To the best of my knowledge, if you calibrate using a BD Player on a specific HDMI Input using a specific TV Mode .... the TV is calibrated with that BD Player on that input using that mode. Some BD Players have their own settings which can be adjusted so they are not all the same ... and the TV Modes will of course affect calibration as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Hi All
New to PJs, and getting the WOW disc on Thursday. Would appreciate help on the following, after reading the WOW manual:

1) The WOW manual tells you to switch off all the special features. Does this include the Iris feature?
2) I have the Panasonic PT-AE4000U, and read that Cinema 1 out of the box is very good. Should I use this as the starting point?
3) I have 3 devices going into my PJ via 3 separate HDMI, i.e. PS3, eGreat Media Player and Sony DVD Player. The WOW disc is a Bluray, going through my PS3. If I do the calibration with my PS3 being the source, will this translate ok to the other devices, or do i need to calibrate 3 times, one for each source and then save the settings in a separate Memory in the PJ for each device?
4) I watch most of my movies from the eGreat, which has a mkv copy of my Blurays. Will the colors be the same as on the PS3 showing a Bluray?

Sorry about the noob Qs... new to this world, but enjoying it alot so far!!!


Richard J. Casey



Disney WOW - World of Wonder


Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
RBFilms is offline  
post #102 of 450 Old 01-17-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York / California
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It sounds like you may have some "Auto Yuck" setting enabled. You may want to look deeper in the menus to see if any auto settings are enabled. You may also want to try changing the "TV Mode" you are trying to calibrate with. THX or Cinema Mode may work better.

Last but not least, check the settings on your BD Player. Many BD Players have settings in the menus that affect calibration.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pretater View Post

Did you (or anyone else with a TC-P50GT25) get good results from the calibration process?

Everything went well for me, except contrast calibration. With either the beginner or advance contrast calibration tools within WOW, I wasn't able to get anything close to an ideal setting. Aside from adjusting contrast, I tried playing with the brightness, and all other settings I could find. In beginner contrast cailibration (in a dark room), I could not adjust settings such that the right-hand vertical set of bars would be visible whatsoever (with contrast set to 0, 100, or anything between).

I also tried starting with the settings CNET used for their review of the model (forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-502107.html?tag=rvwBody), and got the same thing.

I'm trying to determine if the results I'm getting are a limitation of the TV model, a faulty TV, the source (doubt it), or user error.


Richard J. Casey



Disney WOW - World of Wonder


Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
RBFilms is offline  
post #103 of 450 Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Member
 
MikeMcM1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by truz View Post

Does anyone know where to find the Disney WOW Blu Ray? It seems to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone know of any reputable sellers online or any brick and mortar stores that have this available?

DVD Empire shows it as being back in stock for immediate shipment.

Mike

Follow Me On Twitter: ThatGeekGuy
Tech News, Great Buys, Reviews & More....
MikeMcM1956 is offline  
post #104 of 450 Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Member
 
avswilier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Richard
Firstly I would like to thank you for personally responding to my questions. It's very rare that an end user gets to talk to someone that was deeply involved in the creation of the calibration disc. Much obliged.

I would like to know if the blue filter is identical for both the DVD and Bluray edition of the WOW disc, as I am contemplating buying the DVD version. Also, besides the resolution difference, would my PS3 output the same basic contents using a DVD or Bluray as the source, such that the calibration would be close in both cases?

it's far easier for me to test both my TV and projector using a DVD, so might be inclined to use that instead of the bluray.

Thanks in advance for your help!
avswilier is offline  
post #105 of 450 Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Newbie
 
RubeDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, my WoW disc is on its way. I have a Sony 3D 55NX810 that I want to calibrate with this disc. This tv has a lot of features like: scene select, power saving, light senor, backlight, picture, brightness, color, hue, color temperature, sharpness, noise reduction, MPEG noise reduction, motion flow, cine motion, black corrector, adv. contrast enhancer, gamma, LED dynamic control, auto light limiter, clear white, live color, and white balance settings. So would I have to turn all of them off or just certain ones and would they have to stay off? I thought a tv having all these features is what makes it so great or im I wrong? If any could help me out on this, that would be great. Thanks.
RubeDawg is offline  
post #106 of 450 Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GeorgeAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,318
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeDawg View Post

Hi all, my WoW disc is on its way. I have a Sony 3D 55NX810 that I want to calibrate with this disc. This tv has a lot of features like: scene select, power saving, light senor, backlight, picture, brightness, color, hue, color temperature, sharpness, noise reduction, MPEG noise reduction, motion flow, cine motion, black corrector, adv. contrast enhancer, gamma, LED dynamic control, auto light limiter, clear white, live color, and white balance settings. So would I have to turn all of them off or just certain ones and would they have to stay off? I thought a tv having all these features is what makes it so great or im I wrong? If any could help me out on this, that would be great. Thanks.

You are a quintessential example of the modern electronics consumer. We all started like you, for the most part. You only need to turn certain features off. I'm not familiar with your particular set, but you can probably get guidance from TweakTV, CNET, or fellow owners in the LCD display section of the forum.

What makes a great TV is if it can make correct pictures according to video industry standards, and fits your needs and entertainment system installation characteristics. TVs are built pretty well these days, much to the credit of leaders like the Imaging Science Foundation, and their educational efforts over the years. The competition among TV manufacturers is fierce. Their marketing departments are pressured to come up with innovative ways to capture the attention of shoppers. Many resort to deceptive practices, or prey upon the misunderstanding of ignorant video consumers by offering options that actually distort the picture.

Most consumers have no idea how their TV picture is supposed to look. Marketing professionals love this. They can get away with all kinds of misinformation that might sound cool or desirable. An ignorant consumer is a pliable one. Be thankful you have found a community that offers some genuine education that can be sorted out from among the general BS that seems to dominate the consumer electronics market.

The Disney disc handles a lot of fundamentals every video consumer needs to know. You are on your way to actually understanding how to properly use the electronic devices you own. You would do well to also own 'Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics.' It covers many important issues the Disney disc does not. Another good program that has its own unique content is 'Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark.' You would benefit from owning all three titles, at least until someone produces a perfect program that covers all the fundamentals and the advanced stuff as well.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
GeorgeAB is online now  
post #107 of 450 Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York / California
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I get my best ideas from this forum...than you..

The BD and DVD Version of WOW are somewhat different. If you have an HDTV you really should be using the BD since DVD is HD and SD use a different color space standard and DVD is typically scaling images...which will not yield the best results when setting up an HD Flat Panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Hi Richard
Firstly I would like to thank you for personally responding to my questions. It's very rare that an end user gets to talk to someone that was deeply involved in the creation of the calibration disc. Much obliged.

I would like to know if the blue filter is identical for both the DVD and Bluray edition of the WOW disc, as I am contemplating buying the DVD version. Also, besides the resolution difference, would my PS3 output the same basic contents using a DVD or Bluray as the source, such that the calibration would be close in both cases?

it's far easier for me to test both my TV and projector using a DVD, so might be inclined to use that instead of the bluray.

Thanks in advance for your help!


Richard J. Casey



Disney WOW - World of Wonder


Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
RBFilms is offline  
post #108 of 450 Old 01-25-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York / California
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Blue Filter is the same since it is a pure blue we are trying to filter.

Due to color space and scaling, I would use the BD for any HDTV Panle or Projector.



Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Hi Richard
Firstly I would like to thank you for personally responding to my questions. It's very rare that an end user gets to talk to someone that was deeply involved in the creation of the calibration disc. Much obliged.

I would like to know if the blue filter is identical for both the DVD and Bluray edition of the WOW disc, as I am contemplating buying the DVD version. Also, besides the resolution difference, would my PS3 output the same basic contents using a DVD or Bluray as the source, such that the calibration would be close in both cases?

it's far easier for me to test both my TV and projector using a DVD, so might be inclined to use that instead of the bluray.

Thanks in advance for your help!


Richard J. Casey



Disney WOW - World of Wonder


Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
RBFilms is offline  
post #109 of 450 Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Member
 
avswilier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

The Blue Filter is the same since it is a pure blue we are trying to filter.

Due to color space and scaling, I would use the BD for any HDTV Panle or Projector.


Great advice! Bought the bluray version and thoroughly enjoyed using it. Movies look so much better now!
Thx so much for all your help.
avswilier is offline  
post #110 of 450 Old 01-29-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York / California
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Glad you are enying your optimized system...tell your friends...everyone should be Optimized...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post
Great advice! Bought the bluray version and thoroughly enjoyed using it. Movies look so much better now!
Thx so much for all your help.

Richard J. Casey



Disney WOW - World of Wonder


Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
RBFilms is offline  
post #111 of 450 Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Glad you are enying your optimized system...tell your friends...everyone should be Optimized...

Actually, you can't truly "optimize" your display with WOW. There is no way to calibrate grayscale, proper RGBYCM hues and saturations and gamma with this disc (and I would argue that these are THE most important aspects in display calibration", regardless of whether or not you have calibration equipment or not.

You can definitely adjust contrast and brightness with the given patterns, and the color and tint patterns are good for basic setup, but beyond that, this disc is extremely limited.

I tried calibrating my Epson 6100 with the WOW BD that I purchased. I then checked the results with ChromaPure and a Display LT colorimeter. Admittedly, the resulting image was watchable, but the gamma was off the map, grayscale was pretty poor, and the color gamut was way off.

Do I blame WOW for this? Hell no...

...because the WOW disc doesn't give a way to adjust these characteristics.

Nowhere on the disc are colorimeters or spectroradiometers and the like even mentioned.

I think WOW should have included 10-100 IRE windows, and Color patterns in it's Advanced section that would enable professionals and ambitious amateurs to use calibration equipment to accurately measure and calibrate their displays. These are things that DVE, and even the free AVSHD discs have. They have simple patterns (like on WOW) for folks who have no equipment so they can do a decent basic setup, but they also have advanced patterns for advanced calibrators.

Without advanced patterns for grayscale and correct RGBYCM color calibration, as far as I'm concerned, WOW is woefully incomplete. These patterns should have been included since you can't truly "optimize" your display without them.

Oh...and the WOW sharpness pattern is completely and utterly useless. The other patterns on the WOW disc are pretty darned good for what they do, but that sharpness pattern is easily the worst I've ever seen, and I've used Avia, DVE (dvd, HD DVD and Blu-ray), GetGray (DVD) and AVSHD (HD DVD and Blu-ray). All of these discs have sharpness patterns that completely put WOW's to shame. It is easily the weakest point of an otherwise decent (albeit, deficient) basic calibration disc.
Kilgore is online now  
post #112 of 450 Old 01-29-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Sharpness adjustments really have no place in digital video. No 2 TVs are actually doing the same thing with respect to this "adjustment", and some of them do nothing at all. It's one of those marketing-based features that TV makers think has to be there.

The general consensus now days is that in the absence of any evidence to suggest otherwise, it should be set to "0". If you can demonstrate that a zero setting creates some softness in the test patterns, there's no harm in moving it up. Any setting that results in "ringing" in the patterns should be avoided. But by and large it should be at 0.

This isn't always the case. Setting sharpness to 0 is not always automatically the right thing to do. My Epson 6100 is decidedly soft at 0. What's even more interesting is that if I use the Advanced Sharpness controls, I have Vertical and Horizontal Line Enhancement controls (-8 - +8 for each) and Thick and Thin Line Enhancement controls (0 - 20 for each), and I have them set to 1 and 2 respectively, and I get no ringing whatsoever. Any higher, I get ringing. Any lower, the image becomes softer.

BTW, with the WOW sharpness pattern, I can turn all the controls up to full and still not see the artifacts they describe. On any other patterns, I can clearly see ringing. With the controls on full, it's obnoxious. With the WOW pattern I just wonder what the hell I'm looking for.
Kilgore is online now  
post #113 of 450 Old 01-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Transfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just wondering if someone can chime in on the pixel flipper feature. I have a couple of stuck pixels on my 2month old plasma. I started running pixel flipper but turned it off after a bit because i was afraid it was going to cause burn in. is it ok to run this feature for an hour or so?

When in Doubt...Go Flatout!
Transfix is offline  
post #114 of 450 Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York / California
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Pixel FLipper turns on and off every pixel at the same frame rate of your display. This is designed to help reduce burn-in if anything...not make it worse.

The Pixel Flipper is actually a BD Java App on the Blu-ray DIsc. It is NOT simply encoded noise like I have seen on other discs. It is a true BD Java application.

The Pixel Flipper is dedigned to help pixels that are stuck. Unfortunately, even we cannot bring back pixels from the dead...only those that are in HDTV Limbo so to speak..

We have run this from 20 minutes to 12 hours depending on how bad the pixels and burn-in are.

If the Pixels are stuck and you run this for a decent amount of time...it should help. If they are dead, no amount of time will fix them. We have also seen improvements with Burn-In in many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfix View Post

just wondering if someone can chime in on the pixel flipper feature. I have a couple of stuck pixels on my 2month old plasma. I started running pixel flipper but turned it off after a bit because i was afraid it was going to cause burn in. is it ok to run this feature for an hour or so?


Richard J. Casey



Disney WOW - World of Wonder


Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
RBFilms is offline  
post #115 of 450 Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York / California
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Actually, there is a Gamma Target Test in the Advanced Tools.

However, we did not put Gray Scale Tests on this disc because the overwhelming majority of Consumers do not have the tools, knowledge, or skills to adjust these settings. We felt that adding them migh confuse or frustrate most consumers.

For those that want an actual ISF Calibration on their high-end HDTV or Projector ... that service ranges from $300 to $1,500 and is readily available.

For all others, especially those that only spent $500 to $1,200 on an HDTV Panel, the Disney WOW World of Wonder disc for $30 is a useful tool indeed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Actually, you can't truly "optimize" your display with WOW. There is no way to calibrate grayscale, proper RGBYCM hues and saturations and gamma with this disc (and I would argue that these are THE most important aspects in display calibration", regardless of whether or not you have calibration equipment or not.

You can definitely adjust contrast and brightness with the given patterns, and the color and tint patterns are good for basic setup, but beyond that, this disc is extremely limited.

I tried calibrating my Epson 6100 with the WOW BD that I purchased. I then checked the results with ChromaPure and a Display LT colorimeter. Admittedly, the resulting image was watchable, but the gamma was off the map, grayscale was pretty poor, and the color gamut was way off.

Do I blame WOW for this? Hell no...

...because the WOW disc doesn't give a way to adjust these characteristics.

Nowhere on the disc are colorimeters or spectroradiometers and the like even mentioned.

I think WOW should have included 10-100 IRE windows, and Color patterns in it's Advanced section that would enable professionals and ambitious amateurs to use calibration equipment to accurately measure and calibrate their displays. These are things that DVE, and even the free AVSHD discs have. They have simple patterns (like on WOW) for folks who have no equipment so they can do a decent basic setup, but they also have advanced patterns for advanced calibrators.

Without advanced patterns for grayscale and correct RGBYCM color calibration, as far as I'm concerned, WOW is woefully incomplete. These patterns should have been included since you can't truly "optimize" your display without them.

Oh...and the WOW sharpness pattern is completely and utterly useless. The other patterns on the WOW disc are pretty darned good for what they do, but that sharpness pattern is easily the worst I've ever seen, and I've used Avia, DVE (dvd, HD DVD and Blu-ray), GetGray (DVD) and AVSHD (HD DVD and Blu-ray). All of these discs have sharpness patterns that completely put WOW's to shame. It is easily the weakest point of an otherwise decent (albeit, deficient) basic calibration disc.


Richard J. Casey



Disney WOW - World of Wonder


Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
RBFilms is offline  
post #116 of 450 Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Transfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do i tell the difference between stuck and dead. One pixel is red and the other is yellow(ish)?

When in Doubt...Go Flatout!
Transfix is offline  
post #117 of 450 Old 01-30-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GeorgeAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,318
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post

Hey all!

So tomorrow I notice Disney's World of Wonder (WOW) is released on Blu-Ray. I just got a new plasma, and up until now have been using a very old version of Avia to calibrate (which has done great considering how old it is and being aimed at mostly CRT's/rear projections/etc.).

I'd like to update to something new, and have been holding off to see how this is. Basically I'm looking at either WOW or Digital Video Essentials Blu-Ray.

There appears to be only one review so far:
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Di...nder-WOW.shtml

What the review doesn't seem to say is which in his opinion does a better job for an average end-user.

Any thoughts? Anyone get to play with this title at all and have any impressions?

Hopefully post-release there will be some more reviews to look at.

Thanks!

In returning to the context of the original post, it should be noted that neither the Disney program, nor the Joe Kane Productions program includes all the test materials needed for a professional level calibration service. Both programs were designed primarily for non-professionals. They are by no means identical in format, navigation, structure, or test utilities. I find that the Disney program is best suited for the average consumer, who is new to HDTV and home theater. The JKP program is better suited for the video hobbyist who wants to step up to more technical depth. 'Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics' is an older program, but contains important fundamentals about system setup not covered by 'Disney World Of Wonder.' Neither program is perfect for every home entertainment system owner, but both programs offer sufficiently excellent, unique, educational features, to be in anyone's collection who is a regular participant in the AVS community.

Both companies are planning updated revisions to the programs. The recent emphasis in the consumer video market on 3D, necessitates 3D test materials of some sort be added to such a program, at minimum. Disney's recent approach to such a program is certainly more entertaining along the way. Their name alone should serve to introduce more video consumers to the concepts of better image and sound fidelity. An educated consumer will demand better quality from manufacturers, studios, and service providers. We all can certainly benefit from supporting such endeavors.

Not everyone who reads this section of the forum will devote the time, energy, and resources required to perform more complete calibration with instruments. I consider it worthwhile to promote less in-depth guidance and resources for such a video consumer who wants to optimize their viewing experience to a greater degree than they were previously able.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
GeorgeAB is online now  
post #118 of 450 Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Actually, there is a Gamma Target Test in the Advanced Tools.

However, we did not put Gray Scale Tests on this disc because the overwhelming majority of Consumers do not have the tools, knowledge, or skills to adjust these settings. We felt that adding them migh confuse or frustrate most consumers.

For those that want an actual ISF Calibration on their high-end HDTV or Projector ... that service ranges from $300 to $1,500 and is readily available.

For all others, especially those that only spent $500 to $1,200 on an HDTV Panel, the Disney WOW World of Wonder disc for $30 is a useful tool indeed.

How would including grayscale patterns confuse or frustrate consumers if they are put in the Advanced Section? Avia, DVE, etc. all include such patterns.

WOW is chock full of very detailed and descriptive explanations of HD technology that will fly over most peoples heads. Additional comments regarding advanced calibration would have been welcome, if only to say that such things exist. To think that people will be able to understand refresh rates, 3:2 pulldown, 60p/24p and the like, but will be confused and frustrated by discussions of grayscale and gamma, colorimeters and specroradiometers just doesn't cut it.

BTW, if your goal was to provide patterns for the average consumer to use to do a basic calibration, why did you include such a completely useless sharpness pattern? I'm reasonably experienced in display calibration, but that pattern confused the hell out of me. I spent 40 bucks on this disc, and it's going to sit on a shelf.

EDIT: I should also add that the AVSHD disk is FREE. I'm just saying that if you're going to argue that people don't want to spend $300+ on a pro calibration, they don't even have to spend $30-40 on WOW either. They can get the same result as WOW and spend nothing.
Kilgore is online now  
post #119 of 450 Old 01-30-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,106
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

BTW, if your goal was to provide patterns for the average consumer to use to do a basic calibration, why did you include such a completely useless sharpness pattern? I'm reasonably experienced in display calibration, but that pattern confused the hell out of me. I spent 40 bucks on this disc, and it's going to sit on a shelf.

EDIT: I should also add that the AVSHD disk is FREE. I'm just saying that if you're going to argue that people don't want to spend $300+ on a pro calibration, they don't even have to spend $30-40 on WOW either. They can get the same result as WOW and spend nothing.

Your last three posts haven't exactly been lovey dovey, Kilgore. Got a bug up your butt or is the result of an early happy hour? The bottom line is that WOW is not designed for GS and CMS so get off it.

You can't blame production companies for trying to make a buck off the HD boom while helping the novices get the most that they can from their displays. Even the Monster disc has a few things to offer. The moving "X" to aid in setting black level is very clever.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #120 of 450 Old 01-30-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GeorgeAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,318
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Yeah, and his disapproval of our former Vice President sounds a bit extreme, too.
GeorgeAB is online now  
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off