Calibrating Panasonic 50V20E - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-06-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
serafko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my attempt to calibrate V20. I have ColorMunki and I1D2, both enhanced by Spectracal. The I1 is almost 1 year old and is not very accurrate without beeing profiled to more accurrate spectroradiometer, so i get colormunki and take the profiling step. Please be so kind, and tell me what can i do to improve the calibration result. I think, that there is nothing to do in gamut section, for the result i think is excelent. Maybe there is something to do in grayscale and gamma. There is no visual colorization in grayscale ramp, and I am not using the TV in total dark ambient. I am stil learning how to make the best possible settings, so any sugestions is higly wellcome.
The first screen is result from CM, the rest is from profiled I1D2. For each input (SDHC, Xtreamer and BD85) there is a little different settings.
Thanks for reply.

 

Panasonic50V20E_CM_I1D2.zip 296.6162109375k . file
serafko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-07-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Since you're not using the TV in a totally dark room, you may want to see if you can increase the light output a bit. I usually use fL, but I think the 100 Y your readings give is somewhere in the low 30's in fL, which would be on the low side for anything but a totally dark room.
Your color, tint, gamma, etc look good. Hopefully the black level is set correctly; it's not really possible to tell that from the measurements.
How does the picture look to you?
Chad B is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
serafko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Since you're not using the TV in a totally dark room, you may want to see if you can increase the light output a bit. I usually use fL, but I think the 100 Y your readings give is somewhere in the low 30's in fL, which would be on the low side for anything but a totally dark room.
Your color, tint, gamma, etc look good. Hopefully the black level is set correctly; it's not really possible to tell that from the measurements.
How does the picture look to you?

I have set brightness control so, that the 17 bar from AVSHD709 brightness pattern is hardly visible. To be able to see 17 bar i must raise brightness for 2 clicks. My calibration is done in pro1/2 mode, and to get higher light level i must raise contrast from (default) 36 to 40 (exept xtreamer, where i use 45). Even if i use 60 (max) the light level dont rise over 110 c/m2. I am afraid to rise contrast that much, to avoid colorisation in highest ire.
Picture is god, but you're right it might be a litle brighter. If i would raise contrast control, that would affect gamma?
serafko is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 11-08-2010, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 293
It may get higher than 110 c/m2 if you were measuring very small windows, but the visual difference would be slight. With plasmas, window size matters quite a bit. If you want to find out, I'd suggest trying the small APL patterns on AVS rec 709. They come after the big APL patterns. The squares are tiny enough that they don't trigger APL on the plasmas I've tried them on.
Any way, if you push the contrast too high, you will either get discoloration or the gamma curve will start to deteriorate at the high end. But many times with plasmas the gamma deterioration is due to window size, not actually having the contrast set too high.
Chad B is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-08-2010, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
serafko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Chad.
I wil try raising contrast to the highest limit next weekend. If i will noticed discoloration, i will go down click by click. Discoloration in near white should be also visible in color separated gamma curve, first in red component, is that so? What will happened if i raise all 3 gain rgb in colour temp section. This should raise light level, but gamma? I am novice that's why so many questions.
serafko is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Yes, you are correct about the discoloration visible in the color separated gamma curve.
If you raise all 3 gain RGB it will be about the same as raising contrast, but in the Pannys I don't believe you'll be able to do that much if at all. Unless you've reduced them, the highest setting is already FC or FF, and it only goes to FF.
Chad B is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
serafko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have managed to made new calibration, following your advice. I have used APL Small Window patterns, and push contrast to 60 (limit). The result is much higher light level 132c/m2. I must again adjust grayscale and gamma (set to 2.4) from start, and raise main color setting up for 2 clicks. Chad, could you please tell me, why the main color settings must be raised, and why is so different result with APL small windows patterens. My probe was I1D2 profiled to ColorMunki less than week ago, so i didnt made another profile. Thanks for enlightening me, after every calibration i know a litle more. I am not satisfied with grayscale, but i am with gamut. Visualy picture looks ok to me. Please tell me what is your opinion.

Emil.

 

Panasonic50V20E_CM_I1D2.zip 296.6162109375k . file
serafko is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 293
That attachment looks the same as the previous one.
The color needing a 2 click difference is most likely due to the APL patterns.
It's still up in the air whether it's best to do a cal with APL patterns on a plasma. On some display types it is much better, but on others (like plasmas) it's slightly different but not decidedly better.
The fact that you can now get a higher light output is due to the ABL (brightness limiter) built into plasmas and the way it interacts with the smaller windows. You are actually getting a tiny bit more visible light output and punch, but it won't be as noticeable as you might expect given the number differences.
Chad B is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Member
 
grcass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I've also done calibrations on a V20 plasma. These TV's have some sort of stupid automatic dynamic brightness/contrast adjustments happening (you might of noticed it on dark scenes where the brightness of the blacks goes up and down). Unfortunately you can't turn it off. For this reason it is definitely better to use APL windows since the gamma will be measured incorrectly if using single windows. I've calibrated using the larger APL windows with good results.

Strange thing is that the larger APL windows are not triggering the brightness limiter, although the light intensity output of the larger windows is less than the smaller windows. That means that the automatic dynamic brightness/contrast adjustments things at the low end and high end. This automatic dynamic brightness/contrast seems to be there to give darker blacks and higher contrast in dark scenes, but to me it is just annoying. I'd rather have not so good blacks but at a consistent level. Grrrrrrr.

Cheers
Gary.
grcass is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
serafko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grcass View Post

Hello, I've also done calibrations on a V20 plasma. These TV's have some sort of stupid automatic dynamic brightness/contrast adjustments happening (you might of noticed it on dark scenes where the brightness of the blacks goes up and down). Unfortunately you can't turn it off. For this reason it is definitely better to use APL windows since the gamma will be measured incorrectly if using single windows. I've calibrated using the larger APL windows with good results.

Strange thing is that the larger APL windows are not triggering the brightness limiter, although the light intensity output of the larger windows is less than the smaller windows. That means that the automatic dynamic brightness/contrast adjustments things at the low end and high end. This automatic dynamic brightness/contrast seems to be there to give darker blacks and higher contrast in dark scenes, but to me it is just annoying. I'd rather have not so good blacks but at a consistent level. Grrrrrrr.

Cheers
Gary.

Hello Gary, do you perhaps have graphs of gamma measured with APL windows and single windows? I would like to see the difference between them. When I use small APl window and push contrast up to the limit, then calman report higher light level, but in normal program there isn't much higher.
serafko is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Member
 
grcass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serafko View Post

Hello Gary, do you perhaps have graphs of gamma measured with APL windows and single windows? I would like to see the difference between them. When I use small APl window and push contrast up to the limit, then calman report higher light level, but in normal program there isn't much higher.

No worries, I'll see what I can dig out - just give me a couple of days. From memory with the TV Gamma set to 2.4, the APL windows measured pretty close to 2.4 with slight differences between the large and small patterns. With the single windows the gamma measured about 2.2!

I have set contrast to 67 (out of 100) and I can notice a higher light output in normal programming if I start to increase contrast from there, although I haven't really tested above 80. Note that in the settings menu there is an 'eco' setting that when on will lower the level of the brightness limiter.

Cheers
Gary.

Cheers
Gary.
grcass is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Newbie
 
sanju1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Serafko,

Unfortunately, I am unable to open the .CDFX file.
I have a Panasonic Plasma VIERA THP50V20D
I use the Tata Sky dish for cable viewing as well as the Xtreamer Ultra 1 for viewing.
Please can you guide me on the best picture settings, both for viewing via the HD dish and via Xtreamer Ultra
Many Thanks.

Sanju
sanju1998 is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off