What is the best calibration disc??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the better calibration disc... Disney WOW or the DVE disc??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If you require complete test patterns for adjusting with instruments the gray scale, gamma, and color management, neither Blu-ray Disc title has all the patterns or guidance required. If what you mean by "calibration" is simply adjusting the user-level picture controls without instruments, either will do. The Disney title is more up to date, but lacks information and tests the Joe Kane Productions title provides. Each has unique features the other lacks. I recommend getting both.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #3 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Liked: 110
Greetings

The Spears and Munsil disc is also an excellent choice on the user control side of things. Some of the patterns are easier to use than the WOW or DVE disc.

regards
Domantas likes this.

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #4 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

The Spears and Munsil disc is also an excellent choice on the user control side of things. Some of the patterns are easier to use than the WOW or DVE disc.

regards

Highly recommended! Get all three. You will learn valuable information from each. There is no completely comprehensive program available. The cost of each is low enough to make owning all three easily affordable.
post #5 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 410
You Can See The Contents & Some Pictures From All Calibration Disks Available There:

http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/

See The Category Labeled As:

Check & Adjustment Blu-Ray Discs

astrochill likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #6 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

You Can See The Contents & Some Pictures From All Calibration Disks Available There:

http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/

See The Category Labeled As:

Check & Adjustment Blu-Ray Discs

Wow, that's a hell of a website! I've never seen that before, extremely useful.
post #7 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, It's Very Updated

I'm Still Searching The THX Calibrator Blu-Ray Disc. It's The Only Missing Disk From My Collection. Seems That is Available Free Only For The Participants Of The THX Certified Professional Video Calibration Program.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #8 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

You Can Buy These Calibration Disks There:

http://dvd.jsdvd.com/index.php?cPath=24&language=us

* Note: Prices in Taiwan Dollars, Do The Conversion & Check The Region Codes Of The Blu-Ray Disks before your order.

post #9 of 67 Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

After reviewing all these disk I have at my disk collection, I'm presenting you my new Calibration Disk that features the largest pattern collection that are available at any other calibration disk.

It can be used for LightSpace CMS users, for automated without user prompt 3D LUT Profilings: 10-Point Cube (1.000 Color Points) or 17-Point Cube (4.913 Color Points) and manual 1D LUT Calibration using CalMAN or ChromaPure Software using your bluray remote for navigation.

I'm working to update the site with more details asap.

More info are available here.

post #10 of 67 Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

For CalMAN Users, there available for the first time in calibration disk the ColorCheck SG, ColorChecker SG Fleshtones, 4 + 5 + 10-Step Saturations of 100% or 75 Ampliture, CalMAN Dynamic Range (Clipping / Clipping with Peak White) Chapters, Near Black Patterns (0.5-1-2-3-4-5%). 4+5+10-Step Luminance with 100% or 75% Amplitude. All these for CalMAN Patterns are generated under the same RGB Triplets as CalMAN Software Color Engine Requests! CalMAN Patterns will not work with other software.

There also a lot of Patterns for ChromaPure users (Saturation/Luminance/Color Checker) that are based to Data's Tom Huffman (ChromaPure) has provide me, with the exact RGB Triplets of ChromaPure Engine.

All chapter are based to the the order each software requests them wink.gif

The most important feature of the disk is that available for the first time in calibration history, someone can perform a 10-Point Cube (1.000 Colors) or 17-Point Cube (4.913 Colors) Automated! without user prompt to change each pattern with the remote, it wil require onlyy a single mouse click! no other user prompt until the end of that 1.000 / 4.913 Colors measurements.

This Automated System of the Disk Chapters is working only for profilings with LightSpace Software.

You will not need any external pattern generator for that, you actual source will be the used as a pattern generator and you will got the most accurate correction of your whole video signal chain..... A problem that all external pattern generators don't see! wink.gif

Just i have no time to describe all these features to my site.... I have limited free time at this moment. But I have start updating this page.

LightSpace DIP Mode intergration with my disk is explained here. (Post 74)

Here I'm describing why a calibration from your actual source you are using to watch your movies is more accurate from using the best pattern generator...

We live in an inaccurate world, from displays to meters to blu-ray players....

post #11 of 67 Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

For CalMAN Users, there available for the first time in calibration disk the ColorCheck SG, ColorChecker SG Fleshtones, 4 + 5 + 10-Step Saturations of 100% or 75 Ampliture, CalMAN Dynamic Range (Clipping / Clipping with Peak White) Chapters, Near Black Patterns (0.5-1-2-3-4-5%). 4+5+10-Step Luminance with 100% or 75% Amplitude. All these for CalMAN Patterns are generated under the same RGB Triplets as CalMAN Software Color Engine Requests! CalMAN Patterns will not work with other software.

There also a lot of Patterns for ChromaPure users (Saturation/Luminance/Color Checker) that are based to Data's Tom Huffman (ChromaPure) has provide me, with the exact RGB Triplets of ChromaPure Engine.

All chapter are based to the the order each software requests them wink.gif

The most important feature of the disk is that available for the first time in calibration history, someone can perform a 10-Point Cube (1.000 Colors) or 17-Point Cube (4.913 Colors) Automated! without user prompt to change each pattern with the remote, it wil require onlyy a single mouse click! no other user prompt until the end of that 1.000 / 4.913 Colors measurements.

This Automated System of the Disk Chapters is working only for profilings with LightSpace Software.

You will not need any external pattern generator for that, you actual source will be the used as a pattern generator and you will got the most accurate correction of your whole video signal chain..... A problem that all external pattern generators don't see! wink.gif

Just i have no time to describe all these features to my site.... I have limited free time at this moment. But I have start updating this page.

LightSpace DIP Mode intergration with my disk is explained here. (Post 74)

Here I'm describing why a calibration from your actual source you are using to watch your movies is more accurate from using the best pattern generator...

We live in an inaccurate world, from displays to meters to blu-ray players....

where is the near black feature in CalMAN 5? the grayscale data points don't include that AFAIK
post #12 of 67 Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

where is the near black feature in CalMAN 5? the grayscale data points don't include that AFAIK

You can open Gamma Level Editor Utility and enter these 8-Bit Video Level values:

16,17,18, 20, 23, 25, 27, 235.

After that make you own workflow page like the above picture of use that new set of levels to any grayscale page of your workflow. wink.gif

post #13 of 67 Old 10-31-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

You can open Gamma Level Editor Utility and enter these 8-Bit Video Level values:

After that make you own workflow page like the above picture of use that new set of levels to any grayscale page of your workflow. wink.gif

nice, I want to see the very low end performance on my S60 (I'm worried the very bottom end might be too red since I've upped the W/B low red control quite a bit to minimize errors around 20% to 40% or so)

on a black clipping pattern bars 17 and 18 are red only (red dithering only, no other colors present)... and 19 and up look gray
post #14 of 67 Old 10-31-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 326
As a long time user of the AVSHD disc I've switched to Ted's new offering. It has by far the largest variety of basic set up patterns as well as being the only disc that can work with LightSpace 3D LUT display profiles. The Blu-Ray Player > AVR > Display chain can now be calibrated with LUTs.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #15 of 67 Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
What were enthusiasts/hobbyists using in the CRT TV days? or was this only when your qualified professionals could calibrate…
post #16 of 67 Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

What were enthusiasts/hobbyists using in the CRT TV days? or was this only when your qualified professionals could calibrate…
The first calibration program available to videophile hobbyists was Joe Kane's 'A Video Standard' on laserdisc. That was followed by his 'Video Essentials' on laserdisc and DVD. Later, other programs came along on DVD, such as 'Avia Guide To Home Theater,' 'Sound And Vision Home Theater Tune Up,' and others. Calibration control options in consumer CRT displays were minimal. The advent of digital video opened the door for more detailed calibration options in consumer video.

G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #17 of 67 Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The available meters/software solutions were too expensive for Hobbysts/HT Enthousiasts. Calibration infos @ web was limited also.

post #18 of 67 Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

The first calibration program available to videophile hobbyists was Joe Kane's 'A Video Standard' on laserdisc. That was followed by his 'Video Essentials' on laserdisc and DVD. Later, other programs came along on DVD, such as 'Avia Guide To Home Theater,' 'Sound And Vision Home Theater Tune Up,' and others. Calibration control options in consumer CRT displays were minimal. The advent of digital video opened the door for more detailed calibration options in consumer video.

G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

This is a bit off-topic, but calibration of CRTs is also more involved. You have screen geometry and convergence issues to deal with that aren't a factor on digital flat panels. Setting contrast is more complex on CRTs: not only do you have the desired light output, display of WTW, and colorshifting to worry about, but there can be blooming and image distortion at high output levels. There was a pattern called "needle pulse" that was used to detect these.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #19 of 67 Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The available meters/software solutions were too expensive for Hobbysts/HT Enthousiasts. Calibration infos @ web was limited also.
In its day, the 'A Video Standard' laserdisc program claimed to provide test signals that essentially offered analytical tools previously sourced from approximately $10,000.00 in professional test instruments.
post #20 of 67 Old 11-02-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Release_Notes.png

Disk Release Notes has been added here.

post #21 of 67 Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Quote:

nice, I want to see the very low end performance on my S60 (I'm worried the very bottom end might be too red since I've upped the W/B low red control quite a bit to minimize errors around 20% to 40% or so)

on a black clipping pattern bars 17 and 18 are red only (red dithering only, no other colors present)... and 19 and up look gray

Because some users have asked me how to measure the 1,2,3,4,5% of their display using the 6-Step Near Black Chapter of my Disk, I will prepare for my disk users (Disk Copy / Digital Download) a special CalMAN 5.2 Workflow that will include pages for:

11/21-Step Grayscale
4/5/10-Step Saturation
4/5/10-Step Luminance
Dynamic Range
2/3/4-Point Grayscale
6-Step Near Black
Color Checker Classic/SG/SG Fleshtones.

These pages will make the Verify Calibration for any CalMAN user more friendly and reduce their time required for these operations.

I will let you know when it will be ready.

Only users who ordered the Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk will have access to this worlkflow.

post #22 of 67 Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only users who ordered the Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk will have access to this worlkflow.

As I promised, Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Users will receive these workflows in a few minutes.

post #23 of 67 Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 AM

Is the Spears and Munsil disc a good bet for a DIY attempt at calibration? I don't have any type of calibration tools or meters. Any other suggestions for a basic, step by step calibration for an LED panel?

Thanks
post #24 of 67 Old 11-27-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Thats a good disc but I think Disney WOW disc is more user friendly especially for novices.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #25 of 67 Old 11-28-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Thats a good disc but I think Disney WOW disc is more user friendly especially for novices.

He can start with AVS HD 709 (Free) and watch the tutorial videos and topics for the start. Calibration requires meter-software, calibration disks only prepare the display's before starting the measurements.

With a Disk you can set:

Brightness Pattern to set the Black Level (Brightness Control) of the Display; to prevent crushing of shadow details or raised black levels.

Contrast Pattern to set the White Level (Contrast Control) of the Display; to prevent color detail clipping up to peak white levels and above reference white level color shifts/discoloration.

Use Sharpness Pattern to prevent edge enhancement (halo/ringing effect) or soft contouring (blurring of the image details).

Use Color Clipping Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel.

Use a Grayscale Ramp to check which color temperature mode (normal/warm1/warm2 etc) of your display looks more neutral to your eyes.

But you can't set your peak light output, pefrorm RGB Balance of your grayscale, calibrate your Primary Colors (Hue/Saturation/Lightness), fix your gamma levels etc. for REC.709 without a meter/software and knowledge on how things work.

If the disk you will use have Colour Reproduction Patterns you can check your display's controls / various mode settings / enhancements of your display are not introducing problems or if they are broken and you have to leave them untouched to prevent new problems. (no smoothc color graduations, distortions, discoloration, clipping, banding, posterization, crushed shadow details, raised black levels etc.)
GeorgeAB likes this.

post #26 of 67 Old 12-07-2013, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Disney has a lot of pretty videos to expain how things works in display calibrations. smile.gif

post #27 of 67 Old 12-07-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Goofy content in the beginner section, in my opinion. Very entertaining approach to a subject that is difficult to absorb for many average consumers.
post #28 of 67 Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 AM

p8u7BO

post #29 of 67 Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourekaiche View Post

p8u7BO

This is possible only with LightSpace for Quick Profiling (141 Color Points), 10-Point Cube / Hybrid (1.000/1.012 Color Points) or 17-Point Cube / Hybrid (4.913/4.934 Color Points) since LightSpace measures each color point only one time.

I have added some example videos here.

You can say that using CalMAN / ChromaPure you can perform verification measurements of Grayscale/Saturation/Luminance using Semi-Automated way, if you leave the Chapter to autochange each color patch automatically every 10 sec. and only click with your mouse the single measure button for example 11 times for a 11-Step Grayscale.

post #30 of 67 Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah.volunteer View Post

Is the Spears and Munsil disc a good bet for a DIY attempt at calibration? I don't have any type of calibration tools or meters. Any other suggestions for a basic, step by step calibration for an LED panel?

Thanks

I did a basic calibration using v2 (latest version) of the Spears and Munsil disk last summer on my Panasonic 50GT50 plasma display. I found it quite effective and was stunned by the results of that at the time, and remain so to this day. I haven't touched the display calibration controls since. No need.

EDIT: Concurrent to that basic calibration of primary system monitor, was calibration of secondary system LED monitor (Samsung UE22F5000AK; UN22F5000AF is North American model equivalent) as well. Results of that calibration of secondary monitor was just as effective as it was of primary monitor.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu Ray Disc Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page