DVDO iScan Duo Potential Purchasing Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lately I've found myself greatly desiring the ability to control more of the aspects of the displays I try to calibrate, therefore I've been brought upon the DVDO iScan Duo video processor and would like some help with determining if it's truly what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I only have an i1 Display LT/2 colorimeter and I use HCFR for calibrations currently. I'm only an enthusiast, not a professional by any stretch.

I've been continually frustrated with the lack and limit of controls I could access on my displays and I really want to be able to dial in the grayscale, gamma, and colorspace for a change and that's how I happened upon the iScan Duo.

My question is a sort of multiple choice:

1. Should I forget the iScan Duo due to my non-extreme budget limits and purchase a Vizio XVT423SV LED-LCD HDTV and be happy with that.

Or

2. Should I purchase the iScan Duo and dial in my current display (and any potential future displays)?

Also, if I DO purchase the iScan Duo, and in the future I decided I wanted to buy a display, what qualities would matter in looking for a new display?

Based on my own presumptions, I would think I should only be searching for a display with superb black levels and sufficient light output and the features I want/need.

I assume the iScan Duo can NOT increase a displays black level or light output, that's why I assume I would look for those qualities in a new display.

I also presume based on that, that the color controls, greyscale tracking, or gamma tracking don't matter, since the iScan Duo would be able to do all this.

Sorry if this is too much to read, but again, I appreciate any help with these questions.

Am I correct in thinking that the iScan Duo can only "cut away" from the available controls and not add to them (such as deeper blacks, or brighter whites, or larger colorspace)?

sspears:
(Rules? Rules? In Television???? ÂThow shalt not oversaturateth red. ÂRGB shall be thy rod and thy staff; there shall be no other color space before thee.Â)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 03:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Additonal light output might be currently available on your display unless you are already clipping, and assuming your brightness is set correctly, you are, generally speaking, correct in your assumptions; especially in regards to the colorspace.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post

Lately I've found myself greatly desiring the ability to control more of the aspects of the displays I try to calibrate, therefore I've been brought upon the DVDO iScan Duo video processor and would like some help with determining if it's truly what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I only have an i1 Display LT/2 colorimeter and I use HCFR for calibrations currently. I'm only an enthusiast, not a professional by any stretch.

I've been continually frustrated with the lack and limit of controls I could access on my displays and I really want to be able to dial in the grayscale, gamma, and colorspace for a change and that's how I happened upon the iScan Duo.

My question is a sort of multiple choice:

1. Should I forget the iScan Duo due to my non-extreme budget limits and purchase a Vizio XVT423SV LED-LCD HDTV and be happy with that.

Or

2. Should I purchase the iScan Duo and dial in my current display (and any potential future displays)?This is what I did. I purchased a Panny S2 plasma, which has horrible gamma and no CMS. The Duo allowed the calibrator to dial in color on the set, further perfect grayscale, and actually get the Gamma where we wanted (from 1.9 to 2.2)

Also, if I DO purchase the iScan Duo, and in the future I decided I wanted to buy a display, what qualities would matter in looking for a new display?IMO, it's best to buy a display with a functioning CMS (some have a CMS, but it does not work properly) and either a good gamma, or gamma adjustment.

Based on my own presumptions, I would think I should only be searching for a display with superb black levels and sufficient light output and the features I want/need.

I assume the iScan Duo can NOT increase a displays black level or light output, that's why I assume I would look for those qualities in a new display.

I also presume based on that, that the color controls, greyscale tracking, or gamma tracking don't matter, since the iScan Duo would be able to do all this.As stated above, if you buy enough of a high end display, you probably wont need a Duo, but for mid grade and low grade displays, it does very very well. If you change displays, you just recalibrate the Duo and you are back in business, you are not limited by what controls you current display has. It also would most likely handle scaling of 480/720/1080 content to 1080p, better than a lot of displays

Sorry if this is too much to read, but again, I appreciate any help with these questions.

Am I correct in thinking that the iScan Duo can only "cut away" from the available controls and not add to them (such as deeper blacks, or brighter whites, or larger colorspace)?

I bought mine from my calibrator, Gregg Loewen. He's a reseller, and member here, and has a good darn price.

Just to give you some personal experience for that S2-

It was dialed in, and I recently put a Panasonic VT30 on order. There is no real need for the duo, with this set, so I sold the Duo and put that money in the display fund ($4K+). The PQ on the S2, after the Duo was removed (been watching it calibrated since Sept), has obvious degradation. A lot of that is the bad gamma that is no longer corrected, and then there is the innaccurate primary and secondary colors.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

IMO, it's best to buy a display with a functioning CMS (some have a CMS, but it does not work properly) and either a good gamma, or gamma adjustment.

This is what I'm wondering about mostly. Why would you need a display with a functioning CMS, and why would the gamma tracking of the display matter if you have the iScan connected to it?

I would think that as long as the display has a large enough colorspace (since I'm assuming you can "shrink" it, but not "expand" it, that it wouldn't matter about the display's CMS controls (or lack thereof) and that the gamma and grayscale tracking would be the same story (ie. display doesn't matter, because the iScan would do all the grunt work).

I hope I'm not missing something here.

While I would LOVE to get a really nice tv with a great CMS and all the calibration controls I need, I haven't found one anywhere near my price range and I'm WAY too scared to buy a display second-hand (paranoia).

Also, like I touched upon before, I think I'm becoming more convinced that having an outboard video processor might be more beneficial, since I could use it now and in the future or with any display (unless of course it breaks, etc.)

But if someone came in here and gave me good reason to think that the iScan's capabilities aren't as good as they seem, or that I'm missing some critical element which changes my calibration dreams, that might convince me to just go with a decent HDTV instead.

Unfortunately my budget is only around $1500 (and that's REALLY pushing it with the "boss" already), so I'm down pretty much to a choice between the tv I mentioned (which I think would be excellent alone), or getting the iScan and a "cheap" $500 plasma; namely the LG 42PJ350 (so that I can have a good size and deep(-ish) blacks, and enough light output for my needs).

Thanks for sharing your experience with the iScan and I think that'd be really great if I could get a good deal on the iScan from Greg or anyone else!

sspears:
(Rules? Rules? In Television???? ÂThow shalt not oversaturateth red. ÂRGB shall be thy rod and thy staff; there shall be no other color space before thee.Â)
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

This is what I'm wondering about mostly. Why would you need a display with a functioning CMS, and why would the gamma tracking of the display matter if you have the iScan connected to it?

You would not if you had an iScan. I decided I wanted to buy the VT30, which means I do not really need a Duo also in the chain, so I sold it. You plan of Duo and inexpensive display is a good one IMO, because any display in the $1500 range is going to have issues. You can buy both now, and next time you upgrade the Display, you will still have the Duo

IMO, the Duo allows you to spend half as much on a display and get great results. Now it will not help black level of the panel, but if the set has an incorrect gamma, just correcting that with the Duo does a lot IMO.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:

While I would LOVE to get a really nice tv with a great CMS and all the calibration controls I need, I haven't found one anywhere near my price range and I'm WAY too scared to buy a display second-hand (paranoia).
I have a Samsung L75A91 LaserVue with full CMS and 2 point GS. It's rather clunky and the results are okay at best.

Attachment 199169

Calibration is improved with the Duo.

Attachment 199170

When the Duo CMS Bypass is turned on and off there is a big difference in picture quality. This is my first VP and I'll never be without one again.

NoDuo.pdf 257.7138671875k . file

WithDuo.pdf 264.6748046875k . file

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator