Color spots on a Sony kd-34xbr960 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this HDTV. Space is not a problem so since it was economic we got it.

The problem is that it has some narrow color spots on the left (see attachment). On a blue background they look red. Watching movies the problem is difficult to be noticed but nonetheless: How can I fix it?

Some notes:
1) The previous owner dropped the TV during transportation some years ago and that create a huge dent in plastic in the upper left corner. He did not notice the problem with colors but I wonder if the accident could be the cause of the spots. Looking inside the TV, I cannot see anything wrong.
2) I tried to remove the left speakers in the attached picture but I did not see any change in the image.
3) The tube has white tape on both side of the screen but while on the right side it does not have anything under, on the left side it has two squares (magnets?) (see attachment). I would like to try to remove it but I am afraid to create a worse problem or/and I cannot stick it back.
4) I have the service manual but I do not have any equipment beside a simple multimeter and some screwdrivers.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Camicia
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 342
There's an adjustment in the service menu for it. The LANDING adjustment is divided up into 4 adjustments: one for each corner of the screen. Your set may benefit from adjusting the left top and left bottom landing.
Trouble is, the service menu can be dangerous. Try to read up on it and get good instructions. Your service manual should help here. Also, I think there may be a thread in the CRT forum about the service menu on this set; if so, try searching for the landing adjustment.
Be aware that fixing it with a blue screen may mess it up on a red screen; but you should be able to make a dramatic improvement.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will take a look.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

I found these 2 posts:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7174280
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5687363

I am not sure where to find a white/gray image... so far I used the input of the DVD player with not disk in it. I ordered a HDMI type D cable on Neweggs. When it arrives I will be able to use my phone to output on the TV.

It feels strange that it is the landing because of the shapes of the spots but I will give it a try as soon as I find and can apply a gray pattern.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks working with the landing settings fixed the color spots. I used pattern in a Sony Memory Card.
There are still problems with the image though. What was supposed to be a white point in the corner become 3 point (red, Green and Blue) that are quite apart from each other. Also there is some major overscan...

I wonder if adjustments inside are necessary.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like convergence... This can be improved but not eliminated. If the colors are separated side to side it is more likely to be fixable than if the colors are separated above and below one another.
Overscan can be brought down to 3.5% or so with no side effects if you know what you're doing. I've seen some sets that were messed up in major ways though by owners obsessed with eliminating overscan.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

The pixels colors are disaligned on something similar to the perpendicular to the diagonal of the scree in that corner. :-/ I am going to follow the sequence in the service manual in order to avoid that some fixes end up breaking some other things. It looks like the TV has plenty of control. I just wonder if I should start with the internal trimmer or leave that alone.

It also have problem problem with the pincushion.

When you say I've seen some sets that were messed up in major ways though by owners obsessed with eliminating overscan". What do you mean? How can you mess up the TV eliminating the overscan?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camicia View Post

The pixels colors are disaligned on something similar to the perpendicular to the diagonal of the scree in that corner. :-/ I am going to follow the sequence in the service manual in order to avoid that some fixes end up breaking some other things. It looks like the TV has plenty of control. I just wonder if I should start with the internal trimmer or leave that alone.

It also have problem problem with the pincushion.

When you say I've seen some sets that were messed up in major ways though by owners obsessed with eliminating overscan". What do you mean? How can you mess up the TV eliminating the overscan?

I'd recommend leaving the internal trim pots and magnet rings alone. Unless you really know what you're doing, you'll just cause yourself hours of frustration and could possibly make things worse.

Side effects of owners trying to incorrectly eliminate overscan on XBR960s and 970s: I've seen poor resolution caused by squeezing the pic with the MID3 controls, light border along the left side, pic "folding" in on itself, pic not reaching the edge of the screen, severe bending at the top, differences depending on what resolution is being used, etc.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page