3D LUT Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 145 Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I've spent some time browsing through this forum, and others also discussing calibration, and I can't understand why no one seems to be using true 3D LUTs for professional level calibration?

Ive looked at the various tools available and discussed here, and all seem to rely on the limited manual display adjustments.

With true 3D LUT systems now becoming a lot less expensive why are they not being used with a true profiling CMS system that generates 3D LUTs for close to perfect calibration, within the available gamut/contrast of the display system in use?

What brought this on was a discussion I had with an AVS Forum member who contacted me off-list to discuss calibration. It made me realise the large variation between the calibration system that seem to be used for prosumer applications, and the professional systems.

With so much money being spent on some amazing display systems it seems sad to then not be able to get fully accurate calibration.

Ther e is a lot of information on professional calibration requirements on the Light Illusion website.

I am very interested in comments on the use of 3D LUTs as I really can't see a way to calibrate accurately without them.

I should add that I calibrate a lot of display systems for professional operations, and this does include a fair bit of kit that is not necessarily intended to be professional - such as plasmas.

The kit I use is a good probe - such as Hubble/K-10/CS-200/PR-655/ with i1-Pro for some applications, and an i1-D2 for smaller LCD displays. (Plasmas require a good ono-contact probe). For profiling and calibration LUT generation I use our own LightSace CMS, with a LUT box, such as HDlink Pro for LUT holding.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seriously, is no-one interested in true calibration via 3D LUTs, as is the standard within the professional industry?

If there is interest I would be willing to look into building a 3D LUT box for home use...

What I would need to know is what are the most used player output formats, and display input formats? Display port? DVI????

Such a box, with a true 3D profiling system and probe, would give you near perfect calibration capability, depending on the display's underlying limits.

Would this be of interest?

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #3 of 145 Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd be interested in a standalone device (box) that allows me to fully adjust and calibrate the greyscale at at least 11 points, gamma at at least 11 points, and has a WORKING fully functional 3D CMS (color management system) for adjusting saturation, hue, and lightness of all primaries and secondaries.

I'm not too sure what a LUT would do. I presume you would connect your light meter, colorimeter, spectrophotometer, etc. to your computer or this suggested standalone device and then it would read and plot your current settings, where you could then go into the device and tell it where to take the adjustments to (the calibrated ideal), and it would automatically apply the differences.

This would be fantastic in theory. How is it in practice though?

Is there clipping and banding and distortion and video processing problems/introduced artifacts due to this processing?

I hope I'm not misunderstanding something. :P

sspears:
(Rules? Rules? In Television???? ÂThow shalt not oversaturateth red. ÂRGB shall be thy rod and thy staff; there shall be no other color space before thee.Â)
post #4 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
I believe the Video EQ Pro uses a 3D LUT to achieve calibration. There is a separate thread about this device, though support seems a little sparse, I've managed to get my HD350 setup very well using a rented i1Pro giving near 'perfect' dEs in greyscale and colour gamut.

However, due to the chance of a good deal I'm now getting the new Lumagen Mini3D to replace my Edge/VideoEQ Pro combo. One of the many reasons for this change is that I'll be able to do a closed loop calibration using Chromapure to control the test patterns and the settings in the M3D. There is also much finer control of various other controls such as aspect ratio and masking, but these aren't relevant to the calibration discussion. From your posts so far I get the impression that you believe that a 3D LUT is the best way to calibrate a display, so I wonder what you make of my 'upgrade'.

EDIT: Link to VideoEQ Pro: http://www.spectracal.com/newproduct...ZHYGMHPDQ&Mx=6

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #5 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The quick answer, and for an understanding of 3D LUT based calibration, see here:

http://www.lightillusion.com/cubebuilder.htm

All the info you need should be there - inlcuding a demo version of the software.
The LUT this system generates would then go into the LUT box.

It is a very simple, and very accurate system.

None of the other systems mentioned are based on 3D LUT calibration, and by default are no where near as accurate.

Feel free to ask questions.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #6 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh - and there are NO image artefacts with such a system - we use exactly this for professional calibration grading rooms - my main line of business.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #7 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the issue here is that products like Lumagen already have a strong following and offer great support. You'd be coming in as a 'new boy' so you have an uphill struggle convincing buyers that your system is better than what's already out there. If you follow the VideoEQ threads you'll notice that questions go unanswered for long periods which is also one of the reasons I'm moving over to Lumagen. If you don't provide the kind of support offered by firms like Lumagen, then buyers will quickly lose patience and you'll get a bad reputation. I'd imagine it takes some considerable investment of time and money to build up confidence, so not something you can achieve overnight.

There is a separate thread discussing how linear the Lumagen solution is compared to the built in CMS in the popular JVC projectors. The general concesious seems to be that the Lumagen is more than good enough, so it's going to be a hard sell convincing people that your product is superior to one that doesn't seem to have obvious issues. (A small hint that critising competing products doesn't come across very well, you have to win by your own merits IMHO). There are countless calibration reports posted using Lumagen VPs that show near 'perfect' results (ie dEs below what is considered detectable by the eye). Professional calibrators are very familiar with the existing products, so you'd have to convince them that learning a new process is worth their while. They'd have to be convinced that whatever your USP is that it would translate into quicker/more accurate end results than they currently manage.

Simply posting a link to your website isn't going to win over potential buyers either, you need to explain why your 3D LUT is better than what is offered by VideoEQ, Lumagen et al. I still don't understand what the difference is between what you do and what the VideoEQ does as that is refered to by them as a '3D LUT' as well. Simply saying that it isn't based on a 3D calibration might be obvious to you, but as your potential target market it isn't to me.

Pricewise, the VideoEQ after importing into the UK works out around £1000 IIRC so is your product something that would be comparable to this? How much is the software likely to be as products like Chromapure are available for around £100 IIRC or £240 if bought with a calibrated meter. It might be that in the professional market you can charge higher prices for these products and services, but in the consumer market price (unfortunately in some cases) seems to be king.

I hope that these comments/questions don't come across as too negative, just trying to give you some feedback from part of your target audience. You need to be prepared to answer these types of question when dealing with non professional end users, so I hope it gives you a feel for what we expect.

post #8 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I agree, and we already provide first-rate support - we have to for our professional clients.

As for explaining more abotu why true profile based calibration is better that I can do easily, but the website does explain it well.

The key is to usderstand that a 17x17x17 cube has 4913 individial control points within it, and this makes the claibration veyr, very accurate.

We profile by displaysing, one at a time the 4913 colour points (or a subset if time is an issue as 4913 colour profiling will take some hours).

The softwrae knows what colour it displayed for each point, and via the probe kmows what was measured - it will then make sa 3D LUT that transforms each point form what was measured to what it should be.

The is for full gamut and gamma, so is very accurate.

You do set the initial black and white levels seperately, as using a LUT for this is a poor workflow.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #9 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 AM

I can't speak for others but my main problem with "3D LUTs" and "4913 points on a cube" and most everything you're talking about make very little sense to me.

The Light Illusion website seems like it has information for sure, but I can't seem to find a basic synopsis on some kind of main page that tells me what a LUT is and why I need one.

I don't know if my earlier question was answered, but if I can get great calibration results from an external device and have full control over the greyscale, gamma, and color gamut, then I'd personally be willing to pay around $500 USD for something like that.

I don't want "extra" features or forced packages or anything like that.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm planning on buying an iScan Duo so that I can have those calibration options. The "problem" for me though is that in order to do that, I have to buy all the video processing technologies built in the device as well.

I think the video processing is great and I know I'll love it, but I don't want to HAVE to pay for it to get the features I want.

IF you can (in a VERY basic manner) show me how a 3D LUT or ANY device you can offer can provide me with just the calibration controls, then I'd be HIGHLY interested and way more than willing to pay.

sspears:
(Rules? Rules? In Television???? ÂThow shalt not oversaturateth red. ÂRGB shall be thy rod and thy staff; there shall be no other color space before thee.Â)
post #10 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I right in understanding that you do the measurements for this LUT rather than the customer? In this case you'd be coming to site to calibrate the display (especially in the case of a projector)?

I know how long it takes me to measure and adjust 11 point grayscale and 18 points in the CMS. I can only image that 4913 points would have to be done automatically or it would be very time consuming and liable to operator error if performed on a DIY basis. I can at least understand how measuring at many more points would increase the calibration accuracy, whereas with something like a Radiance you only measure and adjust at 11 points greyscale and 18 points on the CMS settings. Lumagen have hinted at being able to adjust at different saturations, but I'm not sure how likely this is. However, as I mentioned before those that have measured linearity of the Radiance seem to show that the dEs are within what our eyes can detect anyway. While these extra points in the 3D LUT would result in a more technically accurate result, I wonder if this would be visible on the display?

post #11 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This page, and the associated pages, may help with 3D LUT understanding:

http://www.lightillusion.com/usingluts-info.htm

The basic idea is that each point in the 3D cube (LUT) controls ALL aspects of that points colour - hue, saturation, brightness - input to output.

Therefore it can deal with cross-colour issues (red becoming too blue when green is changed) which is ver powerfull, as well as changing gamut (saturation) independently for each and every point, etc.

It is a totally automated process, and can either be done by user with the software (LightSpace CMS) and a good probe, or can be done as a service by anyone with LightSpace and a probe - and we have been approached by 'calibrators' to offer this service.

The LUT box would be a very simple and cheap box - with no additional capabilities, as they are not needed for this type of calibration.

As yet this is not widely available outside of the professional market, but if there is interest it would not take much to get this available (via the LUT box I mention).

There is a box presently available, but it's not ideal in that it has the wrong input options for home use, and therefore needs additional converters

Look up HDlink Pro.

Does this help further?

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #12 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that helps...apart from that I'm already commited to my new Lumagen Mini3D order. It's not an issue as I'm buying this for other purposes apart from pure calibration (anamorphic lens scaling, masking and general upscaling among others) plus I've been an ealry adoptor before and sometimes it's nice just to stick with something better known. However, I hope you do manage to get this product off the ground as if nothing else it will keep the existing options on their toes.

post #13 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 AM

I'm just feeling less intelligent with each new post here from you guys.

I tried reading the like you provided (Light Illusion) and I think I grasp some very small portion of it, but it's all so technically written that I don't fully understand.

With your device, could I control my greyscale, gamma, and colorspace and gamut?

What equipment/software would I need?

It seems I would have to buy your external box you're talking about developing and then I would also have to buy the Light Illusion CMS, correct?

How much would something like that sell for?

If you made a box, I know I would want one with PLENTY of inputs and outputs (composite, s-video, component, dvi-i/d, hdmi, etc.), or at least the "important" ones. It would be especially nice to be able to set different calibrations for each input/output.

I'd certainly pay for that device.

sspears:
post #14 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

The LUT box would be a very simple and cheap box - with no additional capabilities, as they are not needed for this type of calibration.

As yet this is not widely available outside of the professional market, but if there is interest it would not take much to get this available (via the LUT box I mention).

You have my attention. Is this in the ballpark?

LightSpace CMS - Main Component £449.00 UKP
LUT Box $500

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #15 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM

I hope this isn't an issue for me to post this on the forums (can't imagine why though...) but I want anything I bring up to be seen by anyone so that someone else may be able to chime in, or ask questions of their own.

I really want this system if it's affordable and reasonable and can truly do what I think it can. *crosses fingers*

------

"Hey Steve!

This (if you didn't already notice) is "Kamui" from the AVSForums and I've been messaging you (or someone from your company ["Light Illusion"]) on there.

I have to say that right out of the gate: If your customer service is anything like your response times now and your friendliness so far and your seemingly willingness to help; you'll go a very long way! I really do appreciate any help. I feel badly though about not knowing enough about what you've been discussing about 3DLUTs, etc.

From what I've seen from your site and from the software I downloaded, it looks like something I really want. I'm extremely interested.

My only "qualm" about the software so far is simply that the radio buttons on the top of the screen are a bit small and that means next to nothing. Haha. Seeing the 3D cube and being able to move it around was really fantastic and I think helped me understand better that you might be suggesting I could independently adjust all of those points if I wanted (R,G,B, at any luminance level charted) or simply do it automatically.

Also, being able to simply chart my current display and simply telling the software where I want it to end up and the software doing it automatically is an amazing concept.

Take a look at the DVDO iScan Duo video processor. If you had the inputs and outputs of that and the ability to seperately calibrate each of them... You'd have a HUGE winner on your hands.

If you're talking barebones for home theater... Have one HDMI 1.4 input and one HDMI 1.4 output.

I really hope this helps you and I especially hope this helps me, if it is indeed what I'm thinking it is!

Also, one last thing... Do you HAVE to have a highly accurate meter (I would think you would) to do this type of calibration?

I mean, what would happen if someone tried to calibrate this way with the (very popular on these forums) i1Display 2/LT colorimeter?

-Brian"

sspears:
post #16 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Liked: 10
I also have read through the website explanations but am still a bit confused as to how this all works. The information is still quite technical. I have a ColorMunki Spectrophotometer. It appears that your software doesn't support this meter. I have been learning calibration as a home enthusiast for the past 2 years. My learning curve remains very steep and I greatly appreciate the professionals on this site that have taken their time to help me and others like me to further our understanding of this trade. Calibration for me and I'm sure many others is a hobby. We enjoy learning and the do-it-yourself aspect. I'm certain that your audience includes many people like me with a significantly less than professional level of understanding. The sites of the other processors (Lumigan, iScan Duo, etc) are easier to understand how I would use their technology to achieve a better result. If the price point of your proposal is favorable, I would also be interested in hearing more about this technology and device. Please bring your presentation down to a more basic level so that we can understand it. What is the device specifications? How does it work? How do I control it? Cost? Etc. If your device was listed on Amazon or similar site, how would you list it, describe it, and sell it? Thanks.

-Mark
post #17 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1 View Post

Please bring your presentation down to a more basic level so that we can understand it. What is the device specifications? How does it work? How do I control it? Cost? Etc. If your device was listed on Amazon or similar site, how would you list it, describe it, and sell it? Thanks.

-Mark

Thanks Mark for succinctly saying what I was trying to get at. Haha. I agree with you 100% and am in exactly the same boat.

I can't see how it would make much sense to have a box around 500 but have to pay at least twice that for a supported meter.

I would think adding support for the i1D2, colormunki, spyder, chroma 5, and other less expensive meters would really launch this potential product.

Granted the level of accuracy wouldn't be near that of the more expensive meters, but the people who purchase these meters, do so with that understanding already.

I can't see any reason why support for these meters shouldn't be there.

sspears:
post #18 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 PM

Here's another e-mail snippet from Steve at Light Illusion:

"It would, in theory. be possible to manually change the points in the cube - but the difficulty in doing that really makes it next to impossible. The operation is fully automatic, which really is the only way to make calibration work correctly.

The one problem with HDMI is there is a large license fee for its use- that does make costs higher - but if that is what is needed, so be it.

I do use the i1-D2 a lot - great for LCD, but plasmas really need a non-contact probe due to their high noise level in the blacks.

Anyway, have a play with the demo and see what you think.
I look forward to hearing more.

And do feel free to post comments on the forum - good or bad!

Cheers,

Steve"

and my reply:

"I personally don't feel that HDMI is necessary. I would be equally happy with DVI-D/I. If you could keep the costs down by omitting HDMI, I'd personally be all for it, unless the cost wouldn't be much different.

I understand about the i1D2 meter and it's faults, etc. but I'm just suggesting that if you had support for it, you'd sell a LOT more of your suggested devices (to enthusiasts like myself) than if you didn't."

I'm extremely interested if this device is possible for a fair price that wouldn't cost me more than getting an iScan Duo. I personally want to pay for just the calibration features of the iScan and not the video processing, so in theory, this device would do that... Hopefully it's feasible and can be had for a decent/fair price.

sspears:
post #19 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, I can't answer all points now - I'm in India building DI suite (see here: www.lightillusion.com/home.htm) and it's now bed time, but I will try to put together a better proposal of what I think can work for home calibration requirements.

Please understand that I am 'feeling' the market right now - the present LightSpace system is aimed at professionals, and the LUT box is only just entering development (but we are doing it as professional users also require something like this).

We do already support the i1-D2. but the full LightSpace (as would be required for profile based calibration) is not cheap... I'm not sure if a 'home user' version is possible.

Do download the demo and have a play - it should help in understanding our approach to calibration. It is very different, but is also very easy.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #20 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

but the full LightSpace (as would be required for profile based calibration) is not cheap... I'm not sure if a 'home user' version is possible.

Maybe a limited license or limed featureset edition to the software aimed specifically at a home end user if that's possible.

A bundle package with the "Lightbox" :P and you're off!

Hopefully something is possible.

I just wish someone would make a purely "calibration box" for a fair price that's not part of a combination device (such as the iScan Duo and it's processing features).

sspears:
post #21 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:

but the full LightSpace (as would be required for profile based calibration) is not cheap... I'm not sure if a 'home user' version is possible.

Do download the demo and have a play - it should help in understanding our approach to calibration. It is very different, but is also very easy.

Do I interpret that to mean all of these options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Light Illusion Site View Post

LightSpace CMS - OPTIONS
LightSpace CMS - Main Component
(LUT Building, LUT Ripping, LUT Conversion, LUT Preview, 3D & 1D LUT Viewer, Manual LUT adjustment)

£449.00 UKP
LUT Burn-in - Option
(LUT Burn-in with Batch Processing, image size/format conversion, & LUT concatenation)

You must have the Main Component for this option to work

£249.00 UKP
Colour Space Conversion - Option
(Colour Space Conversion with LUT Concatenation - change a LUT's colour space)

You must have the LUT Burn-in option for this option to work

£249.00 UKP
Calibration Interface - Option
(Underlying Monitor calibration and set-up with real-time feedback; works with Hubble, Klein K-10, Minolta CS-200, PR-655/670, Sencore OTC1000, and EyeOne range)

You must have the LUT Burn-in & Colour Space Conversion options for this option to work

£599.00 UKP

= 1546 UKP = $2488 USD = YIKES

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #22 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 PM

If you could make a device that simply allows calibration (greyscale, gamma, gamut, etc.) and that was JUST the controls for each section, I would pay upwards of $500 USD for that device.

SURELY this can't be too complicated for designers. It's upsetting that this doesn't seem to exist in a working package.

I honestly don't care (sorry Light Illusion) if it's just 11 point adjustments of greyscale and gamma and a 3D CMS and not a 3D LUT setup with all the advanced calibration features you suggest a 3D LUT can provide.

I still haven't (in a very easy to understand) seen anything that suggests going from what we currently have (as enthusiasts) with the iScan's calibration options (for example) to the 3D LUTs would be a worthwhile "upgrade", worth the MUCH higher cost.

Please PLEASE, if you can design what I suggest, I know that myself and a TON of other people (at least on the forums) would pay in a heartbeat for this device.

sspears:
post #23 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If a supported probe was available we could do something like a limited time license (say three days) that would get you all the tools only when you need them???

Just thinking out loud...

Oh, and the name is Steve Shaw (better than calling me Light Illusion ;o)

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #24 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:

If a supported probe was available we could do something like a limited time license (say three days) that would get you all the tools only when you need them???

Just thinking out loud...

Oh, and the name is Steve Shaw (better than calling me Light Illusion ;o)

That would be fair, methinks, as long as the pricing was sane. :P

I like calling you "Light Illusion"... It's cool! Haha. But Steve, or Mr. Shaw if fine too. :P

sspears:
post #25 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Oh - and there are NO image artefacts with such a system - we use exactly this for professional calibration grading rooms - my main line of business.

The VEQ can operate this way , there was discussion of using the hdlink pro although this seems to have some format issues and didn't support hdmi the last time I checked ,and there are a couple of PC based systems that people have been using notably the Upsilon mixer and MadVR.

I have used 3dlut systems for years notably cinespace and the Kodak display manager.

Artefacts can be generated but its usually a function of the display not having enough contrast range to withstand the lutting.

The colormunki seems a cheaper option than the hubble or k10 to be honest and you can get good results with a spyder3 or D2, contact probes work fine on plasmas.

There was talk of building a lut box ( there are some individuals on here who can and have done so) however the hdmi licensing costs were prohibitive and rolling out a dvi version is likely to be problematic due to the 8bit nature. The software costs for lightillusion would seem to put it beyond the average home cinema enthusiast especially considering there are other mechanisms out there ( the upsilon mixer for example supports many more sensors including the colormunki and multiple color targets and automatic detection of content)

I am also currently in India supervising some hollywood and bollywood films. I am also just about to update the 3d lighting pipeline.

digital film janitor
post #26 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If someone wants to spend a bit of money on new toys there is a way to do true 3D LUT calibration now. It's not ideal as it requires two external boxes rather than the one we are looking at building, but it would work.

You would need the BMD HDlink Pro for the 3D LUT: $495
(http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/)

and the BMD DVI Extender to convert DVI to the HDSDI input the HDlink Pro uses: $395
(http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/dviextender/)

With access to a LightSpace CMS compatible probe, and the LightSpace CMS software, you would be good to go.

This really would get you true 3DLUT calibration - and cheaper than the VEQ.

Also, all the data on the VEQ box suggests it doesn't use true 3D LUTs. If it did it would not require separate LUT control for Gamma, Gamut, Grey Scale... But, I would be interested in it if it was capable of working with true 3D LUTs.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #27 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If someone wants to spend a bit of money on new toys there is a way to do true 3D LUT calibration now. It's not ideal as it requires two external boxes rather than the one we are looking at building, but it would work.

You would need the BMD HDlink Pro for the 3D LUT: $495
(http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/)

and the BMD DVI Extender to convert DVI to the HDSDI input the HDlink Pro uses: $395
(http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/dviextender/)

When I spoke to Blackmagic about this a few years ago there were concerns about rounding errors and sound sync going this route.

digital film janitor
post #28 of 145 Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rounding errors are unlikely to be visible with compressed images - and also likely to be very small.

You could also use the audio out from the HDlink Pro to prevent any sound sync issues, but as the delay through both boxes is tiny I don't see any problems.

I use the HDlink Pro a lot - have actually got one here at Annapurna Studios driving a Projectiondesign Cineo32 for DI grading.

I do a lot of film work - I've graded a number of Bollywood and Madras films in the last couple of years.

Where are you based at the moment - I'm In Hyderabad, but back to UK tomorrow.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #29 of 145 Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rounding errors are unlikely to be visible with compressed images - and also likely to be very small.

This is 8bit video and ideally needs to be passed around at 10bit or above to minimise the chance of posterising from a 3dluting process. Compression is besides the point. I was under the impression the hdlink pro would not accept 10bit 4:4:4 yuv input

Quote:

You could also use the audio out from the HDlink Pro to prevent any sound sync issues, but as the delay through both boxes is tiny I don't see any problems.

Getting 7.1 into a HDlink pro from consumer sources is yet another stage of complexity . I believe from memory you have to provide discrete 7.1 pcm to the convertor, You would likely have to go analogue first then into a convertor to provide the right sort of pcm to feed the BM chain. The guys at Blackmagic themselves told me this was likely to be a problem unless provision was made to resync the audio. This is something beyond most HC fans.

Quote:

I use the HDlink Pro a lot - have actually got one here at Annapurna Studios driving a Projectiondesign Cineo32 for DI grading.

I do a lot of film work - I've graded a number of Bollywood and Madras films in the last couple of years.

Where are you based at the moment - I'm In Hyderabad, but back to UK tomorrow.

The hdlink pro is a fine bit of kit for the money but it doesn't fit into a home cinema environment very nicely. It also misses some format handling that is required for home cinema , 1080p 24/23.976 over the dvi output for example . Although they may have updated it.

I considered it myself ( as I can profile and generate luts in cinespace) but blackmagic actually put me off the idea as it seemed lot of hassle to get integrated successfully and the audio delay seemed to be unsurmountable.

I'm in Mumbai at the moment (have been for over a month) , I spent 3 months in Hyderabad two years ago. I'm in the shadows fixing one hollywood film for the VFX supe on that and I'm the VFX supervisor on a couple of large bollywood films as well as sorting out some color pipeline stuff and giving the artists some theory lectures.

digital film janitor
post #30 of 145 Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The HDlink Pro is indeed 10bit (or more) based, and does all the required frame rates. I couldn't use it for DI work otherwise. I think they did a major upgrade a little while back.

To be fair, audio is an area I stay away from - but the lack of delay through these boxes should cause no problem. The box we intend to build certainly will not have a problem.

I designed the DI operation at FutureWorks, Mumbai, and was contracted to AdLabs (Reliance) for a couple of years helping design their new digital film operation. Last film I did in Bombay was as colourist on Drona - a very vfx heavy project - which I graded at FutureWorks.

If you want to have any colour/calibration discussion mail me directly - steve(at)lightillusion.com.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page