Connect HDTV to Laptop, windows 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to connect the converter to my laptop and tv using my converter that always worked fine (http://www.dinodirect.com/converter-vga-hdmi.html). Ever since I upgraded my OS to windows 7, I have had problems with the display (no display on TV at all).
I connected the HDMI/DVI cable, VGA/VGA cable, the audio cable, and the power cord. My computer (windows 7) recognizes that there is a second monitor connected. But the TV does not recognize the laptop. Is this a problem with Windows 7?
I thought that may be the unit had become faulty and bought a new converter. Same problem. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Sounds like you're getting no HDCP handshake between the TV and laptop. This is common. DVI is usually a "dumb" interface - there's no communication between sender and receiver on many DVI-connected devices. HDMI passes information back and forth between the display and source during the handshake phase. If the DVI end of the connection is "silent", the TV thinks there's nothing out there.

The easiest fix is getting a laptop with HDMI out rather than DVI. That's not the cheapest fix however.

You MIGHT be able to get images if you set the laptop to 1920x1080p and RGB 16-235 and manually set the TV to RGB mode. If the laptop doesn't support 1920x1080, you'll have to find a resolution that the laptop DOES support that is also supported by the TV... like 1280x720. If you try to send some intermediate resolution that the laptop supports, but the TV doesn't support, the TV is likely to just sit there and do nothing.

There's no guarantee that manually setting resolutions and modes will help though... the TV may remain steadfast in its need to see the HDCP handshake. If that happens, you may just have to deal with the fact that your current laptop and TV aren't going to talk to each other.

If the TV has a PC-type VGA connector, that should work without a handshake - but again, you still have to set the laptop to a resolution that your TV supports. Sometimes DVI laptops' resolution selections are for resolutions common in LCD computer monitors with no consideration for HDTV resolutions and your TV may not support anything BUT HDTV resolutions. So, again, there could be a permanent "block" between the laptop and TV you are using if they don't share at least one common resolution.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #3 of 3 Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Considering it worked before and does not work now, it would seem most likely to be a software or settings issue on the computer. You didn't mention drivers, and that's where I would start. Although windows does include some drivers with the install and updates, usually it's a good idea to install drivers from the hardware manufacturers, especially if you run into issues. A good place to start might be to see if the computer maker has a webpage that provides drivers for Windows 7. If not you can either look up what hardware your computer uses based on the model information, or http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html can give you information on the video hardware.

Note: Going to Accessories > System Tools > System Information in the menu may also work instead of the PC-Wizard software to identify video hardware, but I don't remember what the display item there under components shows with generic drivers and why I started to use PC-Wizard for identifying hardware.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page