AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi All,

I see CALMAN 4.2 was released today

http://spectracal.com/releasenotes.aspx?ID=21

Does anybody know if a 4.0 or 4.1 license works or is this cosidered a "major" change that you must pay for? I believe the license wil work. I hope so since my 4.1.1 package with enhanced i1 Pro is in the mail as I write this.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

The 0ne year thing always applies. 1 year of support ... or don't you read the terms of the software support?

If you got 3.8 within the previous year ... then you get 4.2. But if it is longer than one year ... then you have to pay the annual support cost and then you can upgrade and are good for another year of updates.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Liked: 10
The 4.2 beta had a few bugs. I would check the spectracal forum before upgrading to make sure this one won't have a bug that will bug you . They may have addressed them all by now.

Jim Ed
post #4 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
4.2 has a lot of nice refinements:

1. The meter profiling procedure is improved.

2. The program is a bit faster overall.

3. The workflows are more refined.

There are still some areas for improvement:

1. Gamut.

No RGB option. Calman only shows gamut information in HSL. This is fine for most people but not for me with my Radiance, which has RGB controls.

DDC controls are not easy to manipulate. I can use Calman's direct control feature to manipulate the Radiance in HSL. This works okay but it is hard to move the controls on my laptop screen to where I want them to be. It is too easy to greatly over/undershoot teh point that you want to hit.

Interactive/automated gamut control for the Radiance is not working in the current version. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Hue Display. In HSL, you have no way to know which direction hue has to be moved. Only the gross hue error is shown. I always guess wrong and move in the wrong direction for some reason. Chromapure handles this better.

2. No saturations measurement routine. A good calibration requires all the colors inside the CIE triange to be correct. There is no way to check these yet. I hear an upgrade is coming.

The good:

1. Automation. I was not a fan of automation. My mind is now changed. With a single press of the button, Calman controlled my Radiance and (after a few passes) I got a near perfect 21 point greyscale calibration at my chosen gamma. This is very impressive. I don't think I will want to go back to doing things the old way. As I mentioned earlier, gamut automation is not working for some reason. If it works as well, I will probably cut the amount of time I spend in a dark room by 70%.

2. Customization. I spent some time editing my workflows. I now have all the information that I want displayed in the way I want it. I cut out steps that I don't want. The default workflows are very good so this is probably not necessary for a lot of people. I like it.

3. Slickness. The software is pretty. The side menus are cool. Slickness is completely unnecessary but nice at the same time.

Affable Nitwit
post #5 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The reason I asked about 4.2 vs 4.1.1 is I bought a used copy of the software and an i1-Pro enhanced. The guy told me it is under a year, but he was not exactly sure by how much... so I hope I am under a year and can upgrade without a fee.

Lawguy. Thanks for the detailed information. I am really looking forward to the automated routines. I have a Runco Q-750i which can also be controlled by the software. I just wish they would allow the patterns to be controlled in the basic software vs just the pro that would be great.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #6 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

The reason I asked about 4.2 vs 4.1.1 is I bought a used copy of the software and an i1-Pro enhanced. The guy told me it is under a year, but he was not exactly sure by how much... so I hope I am under a year and can upgrade without a fee.

SpectraCal doesn't allow the resale/transfer of CalMAN Home, CalMAN DIY, CalMAN Enthusiast or CalMAN Expert.

Quote:
Only the Commercial license is transferable
The Commercial license may be sold, with proper notice to SpectraCal. The DIY License and the Expert License are not transferable.

From: http://www.spectracal.com/simplepage...IAQRWVNPKKQEWQ

This has always been their Policy.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #7 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

4.2 has a lot of nice refinements:

1. The meter profiling procedure is improved.

2. The program is a bit faster overall.

3. The workflows are more refined.

There are still some areas for improvement:

1. Gamut.

No RGB option. Calman only shows gamut information in HSL. This is fine for most people but not for me with my Radiance, which has RGB controls.

DDC controls are not easy to manipulate. I can use Calman's direct control feature to manipulate the Radiance in HSL. This works okay but it is hard to move the controls on my laptop screen to where I want them to be. It is too easy to greatly over/undershoot teh point that you want to hit.

Interactive/automated gamut control for the Radiance is not working in the current version. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Hue Display. In HSL, you have no way to know which direction hue has to be moved. Only the gross hue error is shown. I always guess wrong and move in the wrong direction for some reason. Chromapure handles this better.

2. No saturations measurement routine. A good calibration requires all the colors inside the CIE triange to be correct. There is no way to check these yet. I hear an upgrade is coming.

The good:

1. Automation. I was not a fan of automation. My mind is now changed. With a single press of the button, Calman controlled my Radiance and (after a few passes) I got a near perfect 21 point greyscale calibration at my chosen gamma. This is very impressive. I don't think I will want to go back to doing things the old way. As I mentioned earlier, gamut automation is not working for some reason. If it works as well, I will probably cut the amount of time I spend in a dark room by 70%.

2. Customization. I spent some time editing my workflows. I now have all the information that I want displayed in the way I want it. I cut out steps that I don't want. The default workflows are very good so this is probably not necessary for a lot of people. I like it.

3. Slickness. The software is pretty. The side menus are cool. Slickness is completely unnecessary but nice at the same time.

What is your impression about time lines for fixes for the issues you experienced (RGB option with radiance, Hue display, stauration and ddc controls) and in fact do you expect them to all be addressed?
post #8 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transendance View Post

What is your impression about time lines for fixes for the issues you experienced (RGB option with radiance, Hue display, stauration and ddc controls) and in fact do you expect them to all be addressed?

I don't know.

I think the Radiance gamut control issue will be addressed quickly because it apparently worked in the past.

Of the rest, the only one that I have heard for sure will be addressed is saturation measurments. I don't know when that feature is coming.

Many of these points are nit-picky and could be peculiar to someone with a Radiance.

Affable Nitwit
post #9 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The person I bought it from never registered or used the Calman He bought it as a pakage and only used the meter with the software from greta not from Calman. Either way I will findout today as it is sitting on my front step as we speek. Now I just have to figure out how to get out of work 4 hours early

Lawguy, I will let you know what my issues are with the 4.2 and see fi they line up or are diferent. We might be able to see if they Calman issues or device issues.

David

post #10 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

I don't know.

I think the Radiance gamut control issue will be addressed quickly because it apparently worked in the past.

Of the rest, the only one that I have heard for sure will be addressed is saturation measurments. I don't know when that feature is coming.

Many of these points are nit-picky and could be peculiar to someone with a Radiance.

If you flip the target deltaE formula to something other than deUV it should work right now. When 4.2 goes back up it will work with deUV.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #11 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

If you flip the target deltaE formula to something other than deUV it should work right now. When 4.2 goes back up it will work with deUV.

Great!

Too bad I won't have time to try it until the weekend. Work gets in the way.

Affable Nitwit
post #12 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Why did they pull the 4.2 release from the website (says "coming soon" now)? I downloaded it before they did and am now wondering if there are still serious bugs that need to be fixed.
post #13 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

Aside from they felt like it ... ... no doubt something serious enough (to them) to warrant it.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #14 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Why did they pull the 4.2 release from the website (says "coming soon" now)? I downloaded it before they did and am now wondering if there are still serious bugs that need to be fixed.

Yes, there were a couple of things that slipped by.

The quickest way to get answers to this is to go to the Spectracal forum.

There should be a re-release sometime today.
post #15 of 54 Old 03-07-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

It was an issue with the way we licensed meters, some peoples software wasn't working with their existing license.

It's back up now.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #16 of 54 Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's back up now.
Has this version fixed the Radiance issue?

Affable Nitwit
post #17 of 54 Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was able to get everything installed, however, I do not have a long enough USB "printer" style cable to be able to control the projector and have the i1-Pro read off the screen. That is tonights mission; get a new cable and do at least a 11 point grayscale, maybe even a 20. It will be fun to play around though.

Sotti, I have a Runco Q-750 do you recommend sticking with 4.11 or 4.2 right now?

Thanks

David

post #18 of 54 Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Has this version fixed the Radiance issue?
Yes it does.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #19 of 54 Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes it does.
Great. Thanks!

Affable Nitwit
post #20 of 54 Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well never having calibrated before, I must say even though 4.2 is "easier" to use I have a lot to learn about calibrating.

I used the automated calibration and had issues.

Can Calman 4.2 control my Oppo BDP-93? If yes it through USB

I could not get the software to adjust the gain and offset for the colors it was interesting. I will be doing a lot of reading and a lot of testing over the next week or so.

David

post #21 of 54 Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM

Sotti,

Is the 1 button control not available for Ethusiast users? I hope not, the reason I purchased way back when I went through the Major League tour last year was because of the that feature.
post #22 of 54 Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 PM

We tried auto Function with The new JVC X7 (RS50)
It seems that Calman workflow for LCos is way off
The new bulbe has a new coloure spectrum, Calman 4.2
reads blue way way wrong. Says it has a 40% loss.
Hope for an work flow update
post #23 of 54 Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers1 View Post

We tried auto Function with The new JVC X7 (RS50)
It seems that Calman workflow for LCos is way off
The new bulbe has a new coloure spectrum, Calman 4.2
reads blue way way wrong. Says it has a 40% loss.
Hope for an work flow update

I don't know what you did with CalMAN and your X7. I am owner of a X3 (= RS40) and have calibrated it with CalMAN 4.2 automatic and my Radiance. That worked absolutely perfect without problems ! Oh, and I have checked the result with Chroma Pure So I cannot understand the problem.

Sources: Panasonic BDT-110, Toshiba HD-XE-1, Vantage VT-1S
Video processing: Lumagen Radiance 2041
Calibration: Full LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5 Business Pro, Chroma Pure
Probes: X-Rite EODIS3 / C6 / Chroma 5 / i1 pro 2
Targets: JVC-X500, TX-P65VTW60
Sound: Yamaha RX-V2067
post #24 of 54 Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

Well never having calibrated before, I must say even though 4.2 is "easier" to use I have a lot to learn about calibrating.

I used the automated calibration and had issues.

Can Calman 4.2 control my Oppo BDP-93? If yes it through USB

I could not get the software to adjust the gain and offset for the colors it was interesting. I will be doing a lot of reading and a lot of testing over the next week or so.

To control a DVD player, you need the Infrared UIRT device attached to the PC you are running CALMAN from, it will act like your player's remote control. In the Source Settings, pick which of the supported DVD discs you are using with the UIRT, then you can select the player manufacturer.
post #25 of 54 Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tried that and it didn't work so good with my Oppo 83.

I then managed to get a video card with HDMI and when I got it all working, it was great. Although, with a ColorMunki and Calman 4.0, by the time it got done reading I had to reset my colormunki.

And then I wondered about the accuracy of the computer output as opposed to the using the DVD for reference source.

And the world turns...

Having a buddy hit the remote for the next reference signal works.
post #26 of 54 Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 PM

thanks for the info
post #27 of 54 Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf181user View Post

Sotti,

Is the 1 button control not available for Ethusiast users? I hope not, the reason I purchased way back when I went through the Major League tour last year was because of the that feature.

same here..........with my earlier calman4 i could do the one button iterative
calibration with my DVDO Duo, but sometimes the calman optimization algorithm went off into space and pinned the settings (clearly a bug).

with the latest 4.2, it seems (unless i missed something) that the one button
functionality for enthusiasts is no longer there...............on the other hand, the new adjustment capability up/down for individual levels is so easy that i got a great calibration quickly and was able to nail the adjustment easily and quickly.

i guess my question, since i went with the enthusiast license, is what capability do i have now beyond the home license and if, without the one button auto-calibrate feature, the upgrade is worth it. (yes, i should know this but the MLB road show and my purchase was a while ago now, and i haven't had a chance to revisit the home/enthusiast issue)

on the other hand, i quickly and easily got a great calibration, so i am very very pleased with the calman/duo combination.
post #28 of 54 Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM

well, my 4.5 year old JVC 56" lcos bulb went pop friday night and a new bulb assembly will be here tomorrow.
after i let it age a while and burn in, i'll get to see how different the CMS settings are for an 'aged' bulb versus a new one. i assume i'll need sunglasses
after the slow decline in output from the now dead bulb. it is a real tribute to the duo/calman combo that i could correct such an old declining bulb into near perfect color calibration.
post #29 of 54 Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 PM

How to profile chroma 5, using RGB xyY ?
Is there a calculation on Calman ?
On Chromapure i only input the RGB reference data and Target data,
On Calman there is only XYZ and xyY ?
post #30 of 54 Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Profiling is a very sensitive process.

We have a profiling tool in the application. Simply use the profiling tool and let it perform the measurements and setup the profile.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page