Spears and Munsil vs Disney's WOW? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-03-2011, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ERuiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello guys and gals,

I should be receiving my Mitsubishi HC4000 projector next week and now I'm looking for a good calibration suite.

Which one would you guys recommend between the Spears and Munsil and Disney's WOW?

Thanks!
ERuiz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Michael TLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Greetings

Both are straight forward and geared to the user controls and nothing more. IF you want to do more calibration than this ... then look elsewhere.

Some of the verbal instructions on the WOW disc are wrong.

The patterns on the S&M disc for brightness and contrast are more precise.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Michael TLV is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Member
 
thegreatagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post
Greetings

Both are straight forward and geared to the user controls and nothing more. IF you want to do more calibration than this ... then look elsewhere.

Some of the verbal instructions on the WOW disc are wrong.

The patterns on the S&M disc for brightness and contrast are more precise.

Regards

Can you tell us what verbal instructions are wrong on WOW?
thegreatagent is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
stang323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatagent View Post


Can you tell us what verbal instructions are wrong on WOW?

bump
stang323 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
stang323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
bump!
stang323 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Amber Ale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Took me a bit to track this down, remember reading it way back when (Nov. 2010) Link.
Amber Ale is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,697
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

Hello guys and gals,

I should be receiving my Mitsubishi HC4000 projector next week and now I'm looking for a good calibration suite.

Which one would you guys recommend between the Spears and Munsil and Disney's WOW?

Thanks!

Why not try the AVS freebie? Other than this disc I only use the DVE disc for the restaurant scene and the Monster/ISF disc for the 3 faces.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
buzzard767 is online now  
post #8 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Try AVSCH Disk For Free To Do A Basic Set Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness.

If You Want Something More Advanced Buy Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-Ray Disk.

I'm Always Using It To Check:

-PLUGE Low Pattern (See If It's Visible To Your Display A Chessboard At The Background. That Chessboard Is Made Of Reference Black (16) & First Step Above Black (17) Boxes.

- Chroma Multiburst Pattern (Use It To See Which Of Your Blu-Ray Colour Output (RGB, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4) Is The Best For Your Setup Preventing The Multiple Conversions Throu Your Displayy.

- Luma & Chroma Zone Plate, Chroma Upsampling Error, Clipping Patterns

- Montage Video (Check The White Clipping & Details In Clouds, Shadow Details @ Trees ect.)

There Avaiable A Lot Of Interesting Instructions There:
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/articles.html


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Try AVSCH Disk For Free To Do A Basic Set Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness.

If You Want Something More Advanced Buy Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-Ray Disk.

I'm Always Using It To Check:

-PLUGE Low Pattern (See If It's Visible To Your Display A Chessboard At The Background. That Chessboard Is Made Of Reference Black (16) & First Step Above Black (17) Boxes.

- Chroma Multiburst Pattern (Use It To See Which Of Your Blu-Ray Colour Output (RGB, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4) Is The Best For Your Setup Preventing The Multiple Conversions Throu Your Displayy.

- Luma & Chroma Zone Plate, Chroma Upsampling Error, Clipping Patterns

- Montage Video (Check The White Clipping & Details In Clouds, Shadow Details @ Trees ect.)

There Avaiable A Lot Of Interesting Instructions There:
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/articles.html

AVS 709 is good, Spears and Munsil good to with free Q and A with Stacey Spears one of the co-creators of the disc. He will answer any questions you have in a very timely manner.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Michael TLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Greetings

Stacy is a man ...

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Michael TLV is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

Stacy is a man ...

regards


65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #12 of 16 Old 04-24-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
AVS709 is my favorite.

I helped my dad dl it though and his player is one of the blu ray players that won't play it. You wouldn't have that problem with the other 2 discs or even with Digital Video Essentials HD Basics.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
ben_r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bumping this thread. Anything new to add? Im leaning towards the AVS 709 and the Spears & Munsil one myself. Thought the Spears & Munsil would come with my Oppo BDP-93 but it appears it doesnt.

ben_r_ is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 08-10-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

Bumping this thread. Anything new to add? Im leaning towards the AVS 709 and the Spears & Munsil one myself. Thought the Spears & Munsil would come with my Oppo BDP-93 but it appears it doesnt.

You can never have enough Test Discs smile.gif

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
WiFi-Spy is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 08-10-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
when is the new Spears & Munsil disc coming out?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #16 of 16 Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
ben_r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

You can never have enough Test Discs smile.gif
Thats seriously the conclusion Im coming to...

ben_r_ is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off