Information Display Measurements Standard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

First there was the FPDM. (Flat Panel Display Measurements Standard )

Then there was the FPDM2. (Flat Panel Display Measurements Standard - Version 2.0)

And now, coming very soon is the IDMS --> Information Display Measurements Standard

Stay Tuned....

http://icdm-sid.org/ (for the latest status updates and background info)

ICDM Home Page
(International Committee for Display Metrology)

The ICDM is a committee in the display industry's most prestigious and prolific organization, SID (Society for Information Display), part of the SID Definitions and Standards Committee.

The ICDM is working to produce the first standard ever for SID, the ICDM Information Display Measurement Standard (IDMS) to solve the needs of the display industry to have a single top-notch reference standard for how to measure and characterize displays.

What's Happening
We're almost there! The ICDM Standard is being finalized now.

We are in final committee review for ratification of the document. It will be out in a few more months, before the end of 2011.

We are working on the ICDM IDMS (Information Display Measurement Standard).Final Draft Version 1.0 is released for ICDM internal committee review.

The ICDM Display Measurement Standard will be released in 2011 -- over 500 pages of pure display metrology fun!

-nony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update -

A meeting of the ICDM was held on May 17th at the SID meetings venue to flesh out the final review process, ratification procedures, voting eligibility, and timetables leading up to the release.

-nony
post #3 of 19 Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Information Display Measurement Standard - (IDMS1) has just been publicly released, and is available immediately as a free download.

Press Release - http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/groundbreaking-display-measurement-standard-to-launch-at-display-week-155914845.html

Download site - http://www.icdm-sid.org/ (ICDM home site)

It is also available from the SID website - http://www.sid.org/ICDM.aspx

-nony
post #4 of 19 Old 06-07-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 324
wow, just skimmed through it and that's some heavy duty metrology geekness. Some very interesting patterns too, I'd like to get the "image-signal black" one, are they available? I didn't see a link at their website.

-----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It seems none of the patterns, or the example scoring sheets, are available. I've been looking it over for better ways to evaluate displays, to see what I'm missing that this covers, but I really need a hard copy as trying to read this is driving me crazy on the PC.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #6 of 19 Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

It seems none of the patterns, or the example scoring sheets, are available. I've been looking it over for better ways to evaluate displays, to see what I'm missing that this covers, but I really need a hard copy as trying to read this is driving me crazy on the PC.
Smackrabbit,

A limited number of first-run hard copies were available for sale at the SID Membership booth @ Display Week 2012. They arrived on Wednesday (6/6), and are probably gone by now, in which case you can purchase a copy at the SID online bookstore. Additionally, a suite of software tools will be forthcoming.

Kindly provide your comments, feedback, and requests here - icdm_support@sid.org. They will be well received. You may also want to consider ICDM membership, if you are so inclined.

-nony
post #7 of 19 Old 06-07-2012, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

wow, just skimmed through it and that's some heavy duty metrology geekness. Some very interesting patterns too, I'd like to get the "image-signal black" one, are they available? I didn't see a link at their website.
zoyd,

Anything that is obviously missing, should be forthcoming shortly.

As is excerpted from the downloads section -

ICDM Public Downloads

The ICDM standard, the IDMS1 (Information Display Measurement Standard) was released May 31, 2012. It is the definitive display measurements standard from the ICDM (International Committee for Display Metrology).

This site is the home for the downloads for the ICDM standard and related items.

Currently download available here is the IDMS1 (Information Display Measurements Standard), version 1.03a, accessible per the link below. Later, you will find additional support materials and items.

On this site we plan to include test patterns to support the standard, reporting templates, and other utilizes to help you use the IDMS.

The IDMS is copyrighted by the Society for Information Display (SID). © SID, 2012

-nony
post #8 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Please don't get me wrong, but as we run a professional calibration company (with our own CMS system for use in post-production, where film and tv programs, etc are graded) what does this have to do with calibrating displays for the use of watching tv. films, etc???

I can see nothing here that is relevant to this industry - or am I missing something?

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #9 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

what does this have to do with calibrating displays for the use of watching tv. films, etc???

I can see nothing here that is relevant to this industry - or am I missing something?
Which segments of industry do you think this standard is meant to serve?

On an unrelated note - Goldcrest Post is just a few blocks away from me. Have you checked out their DI facilities?

-nony
post #10 of 19 Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

zoyd,
As is excerpted from the downloads section

I got a reply from the project saying the patterns won't be available for a couple of months.

-----

post #11 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

zoyd,
As is excerpted from the downloads section

I got a reply from the project saying the patterns won't be available for a couple of months.
My mistake, sorry.

-nony
post #12 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
On an unrelated note - Goldcrest Post is just a few blocks away from me. Have you checked out their DI facilities?

Ha!

I'm actually helping them build a new DI facility in their Soho office (UK) and previously helped set-up their NY facility a few years back.
I know them as a post-production operation very, very well.
(The owners are actually friends - in a business sort of way)

Both the Soho and NY facilities use LightSpace CMS for their calibration biggrin.gif

Small world!

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #13 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Which segments of industry do you think this standard is meant to serve?

Sorry, it looks to me to for screen manufacturing...
There is little that is relevant to final use calibration IMHO.
A lot of the items to be measured cannot be controlled post manufacturing, so are of not relevance.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #14 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My mistake, sorry.
-nony

no prob. 1920x1080 size patterns from the previous edition can be found on Ed Kelley's site Download the file NISTDP02_1920x1080.zip There are also some synthetic face grading patterns and nice pictures of Colorado.

-----

post #15 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Some of the data is useful for me in reviewing displays, as it gives a stricter set of standards for a display to try to meet, but for general calibration I don't find too much use in it.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #16 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some of the data is useful for me in reviewing displays, as it gives a stricter set of standards for a display to try to meet, but for general calibration I don't find too much use in it.

Agreed. A better way of saying what I was trying to say!

biggrin.gif

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #17 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, so it's an interesting read at the very least for me. EBU Tech 3325 is also a good quick read for doing reviews I found, though it means I'm not going to have to create some new calibration patterns to use, and write some Python scripts to create these graphs from the data I get. The main thing I need to review is how they do ANSI measurements and trying to recreate that here, which is a huge, huge, huge pain to get it right. I've been tempted to create a custom projection screen to measure that, but I'm not sure if that would work or not.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #18 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

Quote:

I know them as a post-production operation very, very well.
(The owners are actually friends - in a business sort of way)
As I see from imdb....

-nony.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

My mistake, sorry.
-nony

no prob. 1920x1080 size patterns from the previous edition can be found on Ed Kelley's site Download the file NISTDP02_1920x1080.zip There are also some synthetic face grading patterns and nice pictures of Colorado.
A nonfinalized version of MAPG (Motion Artifact Pattern Generator) is already in the public domain (per Ed Kelley).

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1189064/the-official-lg-55lhx-owners-thread/2220_60#post_20937163

You can PM me, or contact Ed if you want to get hold of a copy.

-nony
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page