AVS Forum banner

X-Rite's Revolutionary New Colorimeter

165K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  PSUHammer 
#1 ·
X-Rite has developed a new and I think ground-breaking colorimeter, the i1 Display Pro III, which most will probably refer to as simply the Display 3.

It is not simply an update to the Display 2. It is a completely different design with an unprecedented price/performance ratio.

For a full review and online demos, see the ChromaPure web site .

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 /forum/post/20599010

I have a broken i1d2. Does it count in the EU?

I bet it will be cheaper to order it from a US webshop than buy it here with the rebate (if there is a rebate anyway...).

No rebate has been advised the EU. Prices look pretty comparative in the EU, once you take into account import duty, VAT etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/20599036

Ask here .

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20600525

the colormonkie advert says display 3! very intresting...

The new ColorMunki Display is the same meter as the i1 Display Pro. The difference is all in the software (in a similar situation that the i1LT and i1D2 were previously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD /forum/post/20601202

New ColorMunkie is a Light Edition of the New i1Display 3 with less features and has 5x slower readings than i1Display 3. It's A Colorimeter compared with the Old ColorMunkie witch was a Spectrophotometer.

'less features' only in the software.

The 5x slower readings is also a software based adjustment. In Tom's review he mentions speed, and that ChromaPure have slowed the speed at the darker end to improve repeatability from the meter. Maybe Xrite have slowed the ColorMunki via the software to make the i1 display Pro sound more appealing?

Anyway both are mute points if used with ChromaPure or another third party software they will be controlling the speed of the meter.

I hope that helps.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ /forum/post/20601313

'less features' only in the software.

The 5x slower readings is also a software based adjustment.

X-Rite Talking About a 5x Faster Reading @ Hardware There:

http://www.xritephoto.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=251

Using some Developer Programs you can see if it's the same hardware inside of both meters or by posting some test reports.

If both meters share the same hardware and gives the same color reading accurancy and the same speed in ChromaPure then its useless to buy the i1Display 3. I will be a better choice the i1ColorMunki Display with -30% less cost. (269$ vs. 189$ Store Retail Price)

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD /forum/post/20601595

If both meters share the same hardware and gives the same color reading accurancy and the same speed in ChromaPure then its useless to buy the i1Display 3. I will be a better choice the i1ColorMunki Display with -30% less cost. (269$ vs. 189$ Store Retail Price)

If you are using the non-Pro version of ChromaPure and purchase the $189 meter won't you get stuck paying CP a license fee?

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcushman /forum/post/20601602

When I called X-Rite they said the name on the new i1Display 3 was changed to i1DisplayPro. The following link announces the new units.
http://www.xritephoto.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=251

Yes, Check That Products Part Codes:

i1Display 2

Part #: EODIS2

i1Display Pro

Part #: EODIS3

#57 ·
Hi All. I got to use one of these last night coupled with Chromapure auto calibrate and my Lumagen Radiance XS.

Whole calibration of a EE Vango LED projector took less than 15 minutes and the auto calibration of grayscale, gamma and primary and secondary color targets took less than 6minutes or so.

Had one minor glitch at 100% white that Tom is addressing. Had to manually set this.

That's it.

OK. AVS has partnered with Chromapure. Go to the AVS store site and please buy it from there. The Chromapure stuff is all up there and the new probe will be up today. When you buy it from us, everything is handled by Tom and the whole procudure is just like you bought it from his site but your purchase helps support the forum.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/20601626

If you are using the non-Pro version of ChromaPure and purchase the $189 meter won't you get stuck paying CP a license fee?

ChromaPure Standard comes with support for one meter included in the purchase price. Support for each additional meter is $100.

If both meters are the same at the hardware view, as Ricky mentioned above . Then:

i1Display 3 + ChromaPure Licence Add-On = 269$+100$=369

i1ColorMunki Display + ChromaPure Licence Add-On = 189$+100$=289

If there is a -30% Difference for the same results then i will go for the iColorMunki Display. Added X-Rite Software are useless when you are operating these meters with ChromaPure.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD /forum/post/20601687

ChromaPure Standard comes with support for one meter included in the purchase price. Support for each additional meter is $100.

If both meters are the same at the hardware view, as Ricky mentioned above . Then:

i1Display 3 + ChromaPure Licence Add-On = 269$+100$=369€

i1ColorMunki Display + ChromaPure Licence Add-On = 189$+100$=289€

If there is a -30% Difference for the same results then i will go for the iColorMunki Display. Added X-Rite Software are useless when you are operating these meters with ChromaPure.

I use CP Pro so licensing is not an issue.

What you lose by purchasing from other than CP are the internal profiles and tri stims aren't flexible like spectros, although perhaps Ricky will add the profiles to his UK sold meters. That would be nice.

According to CP, displays other than the LCD variants are read quite accurately by the D3. When I receive my D3 I'll test and report the effectiveness of the LCD presets with CCFL & LED Samsungs. If the presets are even close to the readings from an i1Pro profiled D3 I might consider selling the i1Pro. I'll have to give the Chroma 5 away, though, as they have suddenly become nearly without value. CP has removed them from the site.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/20601817

I'll have to give the Chroma 5 away, though, as they have suddenly become nearly without value. CP has removed them from the site.

Chroma 5 costs about 500-600$ in retail but it was an OEM X-rite meter. If it was available as a retail then its price i think should be around 1000$.

Many companies used that Chroma 5 OEM meter with another name as Progressive Labs C-5, Sencore CP6000 ColorPro with increased price also.

How is possible now a so lower cost Retail Device (D3) of the same company, which is Retail Product, can outperform a More expensive OEM product and also have similar reading speed & low light reading as X-Rite Hubble (3400$), outperforms some times the color accurancy of Xrite i1PRO (900$),

With Only 269$?

I think someone can start posting some test of D3 vs. reference devices to see what is happening. It's really strange. If all these about D3 performance are true when i think D3 will be the most succesfull sales product in calibration history. DIY's will be millions , lol

#61 ·
An increase in technology. Period.

I expressed an interest in buying a Hubble awhile back to a guy in England who is as close to X-Rite as CP, SpectraCal, etc. He said to hold off because he had a meter under a non disclosure agreement and thought I might want to be patient. He answered an email today and verified that the NDA meter is the D3. He saved me a ton if the D3 performs. We'll know soon enough.

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD /forum/post/20602199

Toshiba 55ZL1 Direct LED-TV Auto-Calibrate System With D3

What if this is simply the same kind of "calibration" that the SpyderTV does, with adjustments done directly to the set via DDC? Then it's no bargain at all, IMHO.

EDIT: It appears that the calibration is more in-depth, with grayscale, gamut, and gamma parameters checked and adjusted. But it also appears that the unit is meant to work with certain high-end Toshiba sets that feature a particular 3D LUT containing reference standards that the TV checks the meter's readings against and then develops corrections so the set's output matches those standards. See here:

http://eu.press.toshiba.eu/en/downlo...pril_2011.pdf?

#64 ·
I`m a noob to chromapure, i`m sure the software is excellent; however i`d like to know if x-rite have improved their software for the i1 display 3.

If chromapure can access all the hidden features of colormunkie turning it into a i1 display 3 then it makes sense to get the colormunkie and chromapure as it alot more affordable.

My questions are:

does chromapure turn the colormunkie 5x faster?

Can chromapure with colormunkie enable White Point, & white luminanc to Custom or Measured?

Can chrompure enable colormunkie display 3 for tone respnse (1.8, 2.2, 3.0, sRGB)

I really want to buy one in the next few days so my choices are i1pro display 3 without chromapure or i could get colormunkie display 3 with chromapure standard.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/20602249

What if this is simply the same kind of "calibration" that the SpyderTV does, with adjustments done directly to the set via DDC? Then it's no bargain at all, IMHO.

I think it just might possibly be the first consumer TV with internal 3D LUT hardware ---- check this out:

http://thegadgetsite.com/2011/04/tos...l-recognition/

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20602262

Can chromapure with colormunkie enable White Point, & white luminanc to Custom or Measured?

Can chrompure enable colormunkie display 3 for tone respnse (1.8, 2.2, 3.0, sRGB)

I really want to buy one in the next few days so my choices are i1pro display 3 without chromapure or i could get colormunkie display 3 with chromapure standard.

These features differencies are only available using Xrite iProfiler Software included with the meters.

ChromaPure has not that software limits, its operating the meters using 100% of each meter features.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD /forum/post/20601987

Chroma 5 costs about 500-600$ in retail but it was an OEM X-rite meter. If it was available as a retail then its price i think should be around 1000$.

Many companies used that Chroma 5 OEM meter with another name as Progressive Labs C-5, Sencore CP6000 ColorPro with increased price also.

How is possible now a so lower cost Retail Device (D3) of the same company, which is Retail Product, can outperform a More expensive OEM product and also have similar reading speed & low light reading as X-Rite Hubble (3400$), outperforms some times the color accurancy of Xrite i1PRO (900$),

With Only 269$?

IMHO, trickle down technology from high end units (like the Hubble) and marketing it as a consumer device where the manufacturing volumes will be hundreds of times higher is certainly helping keep the price low.

What suprises me to some degree is HOW low they've priced it. They could have doubled the MSRP and it would have still sold well in certain market segments like A/V and Home Theater. Not so much for the PC/Mac monitor and photography crowd probably though.

Kal

#74 ·
Will this unit work with front projectors. I just have a front projector and have no use for other applications. I also just have Calman 4.2. I don't really have the need to upgrade that either. Spectracal made it sound like it would not. They are having a special edition made for them with enhanced tables. Their unit will be called a Chroma 6 and retail for approximately the same amount as a current Chroma 5.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro /forum/post/20603163

Will this unit work with front projectors. I just have a front projector and have no use for other applications. I also just have Calman 4.2. I don't really have the need to upgrade that either. Spectracal made it sound like it would not. They are having a special edition made for them with enhanced tables. Their unit will be called a Chroma 6 and retail for approximately the same amount as a current Chroma 5.

Do you have a web link?

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro /forum/post/20603163

Absolutely. Both off the screen and off the lens.

Edit: no comment on the pricing except to say that what you suggest is too high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.