AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

Derek,

I got my C6 as part of the trade-in. No carrying case, tripod extender, or the NIST certification. Should they have been included? The tripod extender is the most important of the three.

Louis

The C6 trade-in program was just for a C6. We do sell all of our tripod adaptors/extenders separately.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1402 Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:GRiFFiN:. View Post

If I screw it on a tripod should the cable from the meter be at:
The top?
The bottom?
The left?
The right?

With the design of the D3/C6 it does not matter what orientation you use, whatever is the most convenient.

Derek

post #1113 of 1402 Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Liked: 10
I just read the entire thread and its stated in 2 places that it should be positioned in a specific way and not tilted only changed to the side to not read from its own shadow. So this is not true?

Do I get the same readings in whatever position and whatever tilt?

I'm detective John Kimball!!
I'm a cop you idiot!!
Now, I'm going to ask you a bunch of questions... and I want them answered immediately.
-What's your question Sir?
-Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
post #1114 of 1402 Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:GRiFFiN:. View Post

I just read the entire thread and its stated in 2 places that it should be positioned in a specific way and not tilted only changed to the side to not read from its own shadow. So this is not true?

Do I get the same readings in whatever position and whatever tilt?

Paraphrased from Tom Huffman: Don't "tilt" the meter vertically, only horizontally - this is to avoid reading inside the meter's shadow on a front projector's screen. The only way to find out for yourself is to try both ways and measure it.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #1115 of 1402 Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Paraphrased from Tom Huffman: Don't "tilt" the meter vertically, only horizontally - this is to avoid reading inside the meter's shadow on a front projector's screen. The only way to find out for yourself is to try both ways and measure it.

Well Yes that goes without saying you don't want the meter to see it's own shadow. But how the meter is attached to the tripod does not matter. Also if you have a high gain screen you will need to experiment with placements and angle.

Derek

post #1116 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

May be it's old news but I just noticed that this Calibration hardware test got updated with i1Display Pro and BasICColor Discus results and they evaluated more ColorMunki units since last time I checked.

My conclusion of this presented data (which is still limited in the number of the tested units and displays but I think it's enough to give us a good assumption about real world performance... at least I don't have any better sources of this kind of information - do you...?) is that I should NOT use a ColorMunki or i1Pro spectro to profile an i1d3 (retail, OEM, whatever...) colorimeter because the absolute accuracy of these cheap spectros is up to four times worse than an i1d3 with generic corrections (EDR files supplied by X-Rite or OEMs).
(Of course, a CM/i1Pro is still a better idea if you don't have EDR files for the specific display type, for example you want to measure an OLED prototype and such curiosities, or even ambient light for photographic tasks --various and sometimes mixed light sources with highly varying spectra-- but not for common LCDs and PDPs...)

What do you think? (I think I will buy an i1d3 in a few days and keep around the CM for some time but I probably won't use it anymore for common displays.)

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #1117 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

May be it's old news but I just noticed that this Calibration hardware test got updated with i1Display Pro and BasICColor Discus results and they evaluated more ColorMunki units since last time I checked.

My conclusion of this presented data (which is still limited in the number of the tested units and displays but I think it's enough to give us a good assumption about real world performance... at least I don't have any better sources of this kind of information - do you...?) is that I should NOT use a ColorMunki or i1Pro spectro to profile an i1d3 (retail, OEM, whatever...) colorimeter because the absolute accuracy of these cheap spectros is up to four times worse than an i1d3 with generic corrections (EDR files supplied by X-Rite or OEMs).
(Of course, a CM/i1Pro is still a better idea if you don't have EDR files for the specific display type, for example you want to measure an OLED prototype and such curiosities, or even ambient light for photographic tasks --various and sometimes mixed light sources with highly varying spectra-- but not for common LCDs and PDPs...)

What do you think? (I think I will buy an i1d3 in a few days and keep around the CM for some time but I probably won't use it anymore for common displays.)

read this

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/01/do-cali...-stim-devices/
post #1118 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I am trying to profile my i1pro against my Colormunki on a Dalite High power. Does this screen make profiling extremely difficult? I.E. if I dont read from exactly the same angle and the same spot with both meters, am I running a big risk of throwing off the profle? Or does the different brightness each meter might read from slightly different locations not matter much? Obviously though the brightness can vary a great deal in a matter of inches, or less. So is that a problem, or is the difference in brightness of the image not something we have to worry about in a profile?
post #1119 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I am trying to profile my i1pro against my Colormunki on a Dalite High power. Does this screen make profiling extremely difficult? I.E. if I dont read from exactly the same angle and the same spot with both meters, am I running a big risk of throwing off the profle? Or does the different brightness each meter might read from slightly different locations not matter much?

Put on a 100% white pattern and adjust the meters to where they detect the highest luminance.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #1120 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Will calman let me measure luminance while I am trying to profile? Or so I need to have both meters set to their positions BEFORE starting the profile process? I was setting up my Colormunki, letting it get its profile readings, and then trying to "eyeball" setting the I1pro in the same spot.
post #1121 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

I am trying to profile my i1pro against my Colormunki on a Dalite High power. Does this screen make profiling extremely difficult? I.E. if I dont read from exactly the same angle and the same spot with both meters, am I running a big risk of throwing off the profle? Or does the different brightness each meter might read from slightly different locations not matter much?

The screen will send you for a loop.
I do not have a spectro to profile with but when I set up my C6 I follow this process.

Put the meter in a position with height and angle as close to what you see from your seat.
display a 100% pattern and take a gray scale reading with constant read.
Adjust the angle of the meter to get the highest Y_ and the lowest DeltaE.
Lock it there and do your calibration.

If you follow this process with both meters I think you will get what you are looking for.

NOTE: very slight movement of the meter make a difference.
ALSO From what I have read about profiling A Colorimeter, there will be a FOV difference between the 2 types of devices. The Spectro will probably need to be father from the screen than the colorimeter but I do knot remember by how much. This data was read in the Spectacal forum related to the C6.

Good luck and I hope this helps
post #1122 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Were all of his tests based on tables for colorimeters on a single display? I know nothing about the reviewer but that article does make me worry about the accuracy of my Colormunki vs just a vanilla i1pro. Should I be?
post #1123 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Using a D3Pro with Calman a Xenon light source is not an available choice for my FP. What error is introduced using the uhp bulb setting?
post #1124 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Were all of his tests based on tables for colorimeters on a single display? I know nothing about the reviewer but that article does make me worry about the accuracy of my Colormunki vs just a vanilla i1pro. Should I be?

You can find this information in the article: They used LCD displays with different back-lights including standard gamut CCFL and wide-gamut LED. And they used the colorimeters with their default factory corrections, they didn't profile them against their reference spectro.

Speaking about this:

I didn't say the i1d3 can not benefit from corrections against a reference grade spectro (like a Jeti or a Konika Minolta instrument ;;; either by calculating the corrections by comparing the spectral sensitivity curves saved in the i1d3's firmware and the spectral measurements of the display device --how X-Rite intended it and supplies some *.EDR files for some display technologies--, or directly profiled using a matrix correction, ignoring the factory calibration of the colorimeter -which is still not a bad idea if you profile against a lab quality spectro).

But this colorimeter seems to be more accurate on usual displays with it's generic corrections than a CM or i1Pro spectro. So, may be it's not a good idea to create correction tables for an i1d3 using a CM or i1Pro (either based on the factory spectral sensitivity characteristics + spectral measurements or directly with a matrix).

Of course, It would be nice if people with Jeti and Konika Minolta spectros would share their spectral readings from the displays they measure and we could use that data to create corrections for the i1d3 colorimeters (utilizing the spectral sensitivity curves in the firmware).
But I think it's not a right approach to create this data using i1Pro or ColorMunki spectros because they do not seem to be accurate enough for this task.

I was a big fan of the colorimeter profiling when I had an i1d2 and a ColorMunki. But the i1d3 seems to be a game changer. It looks like it's more accurate (at least on the usual display technologies which you have high quality EDR files for --or similar embedded corrections in the OEM softwares like CalMan, ChromaPure, etc) than these cheap spectros (which do not sensitive to differences between display technologies but are far from their way more expensive brothers overall...).

post #1125 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm.. ok... well crap.. -- I have been going along blissfully for a good while now thinking my Colormunki was quite good and certainly good enough for the range I can afford. I cant see myself ever spending more than $1500 for calibration gear, and there doesnt seem to be anything better below that range (i1pro spectro of course is better than the Colormunki, but that review says its still not good enough).

BUT.. I think I have seen nothing but praise for the i1pro for the last couple of years as a "go to" meter for all but the highest dollar calibrations.... so this surprises me.

Does anyone question these poor readings from the Spectros, or is that data agreed upon as accurate?
post #1126 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

read this

Hmm. I read this more carefully and it really takes the things into a different light. The dE'76 values here are off the scale with some displays (the SpectraCal C6 looked just as bad as an i1d2 in Ethan's test).

Do you have a similar test between a reference spectro and an i1Pro or a CM?
EDIT: Sorry, I realized the "i1 Beamer" is basically an old i1Pro.

Quote:

Hmm.. ok... well crap.. -- I have been going along blissfully for a good while now thinking my Colormunki was quite good and certainly good enough for the range I can afford. I cant see myself ever spending more than $1500 for calibration gear, and there doesnt seem to be anything better below that range (i1pro spectro of course is better than the Colormunki, but that review says its still not good enough).

BUT.. I think I have seen nothing but praise for the i1pro for the last couple of years as a "go to" meter for all but the highest dollar calibrations.... so this surprises me.

Does anyone question these poor readings from the Spectros, or is that data agreed upon as accurate?

I always knew my ColorMunki has some deviation but I thought it's somewhere between dE2000 1.0 and 2.0, not around 4.5 (I mean statistically...)

What surprises me even more is that Ethan got so good results with the i1d3 but the above mentioned test showed us how easy it is to find displays where the C6 (a tweaked i1d3) gets way too far from the truth.

May be the right approach is to create custom EDR files with an i1Pro or CM and use them with the firmware files. This can theoretically give you a better assumption about the display's spectral characteristics than an EDR file from X-Rite for general display types but it does not forcefully aligns the two meters like a matrix. (The only software I know which allows this is ArgyllCMS.)

post #1127 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

You can find this information in the article: They used LCD displays with different back-lights including standard gamut CCFL and wide-gamut LED. And they used the colorimeters with their default factory corrections, they didn't profile them against their reference spectro.

Speaking about this:

I didn't say the i1d3 can not benefit from corrections against a reference grade spectro (like a Jeti or a Konika Minolta instrument ;;; either by calculating the corrections by comparing the spectral sensitivity curves saved in the i1d3's firmware and the spectral measurements of the display device --how X-Rite intended it and supplies some *.EDR files for some display technologies--, or directly profiled using a matrix correction, ignoring the factory calibration of the colorimeter -which is still not a bad idea if you profile against a lab quality spectro).

But this colorimeter seems to be more accurate on usual displays with it's generic corrections than a CM or i1Pro spectro. So, may be it's not a good idea to create correction tables for an i1d3 using a CM or i1Pro (either based on the factory spectral sensitivity characteristics + spectral measurements or directly with a matrix).

Of course, It would be nice if people with Jeti and Konika Minolta spectros would share their spectral readings from the displays they measure and we could use that data to create corrections for the i1d3 colorimeters (utilizing the spectral sensitivity curves in the firmware).
But I think it's not a right approach to create this data using i1Pro or ColorMunki spectros because they do not seem to be accurate enough for this task.

I was a big fan of the colorimeter profiling when I had an i1d2 and a ColorMunki. But the i1d3 seems to be a game changer. It looks like it's more accurate (at least on the usual display technologies which you have high quality EDR files for --or similar embedded corrections in the OEM softwares like CalMan, ChromaPure, etc) than these cheap spectros (which do not sensitive to differences between display technologies but are far from their way more expensive brothers overall...).

Funny look at the article my Micheal Chen who also has access to great equipment:

His result is don't trust the tables in the meters, use a spectro, even an i1 Pro matches much more closely than the Tables in the upgraded C6.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #1128 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Funny look at the article my Micheal Chen who also has access to great equipment:

His result is don't trust the tables in the meters, use a spectro, even an i1 Pro matches much more closely than the Tables in the upgraded C6.

Well, yah. May be the displays what Ethan used were accidentally very close to those what X-Rite measured to create the supplied EDR files.

Does CalMan plan to support a similar i1d3 handling what the X-Rite software and ArgyllCMS do (load EDR files or measure a display spectra and compare it with the spectral sensitivity characteristics saved in the i1d3 firmware instead of compiling a matrix by comparing direct measurements from both sensors)?

post #1129 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, yah. May be the displays what Ethan used were accidentally very close to those what X-Rite measured to create the supplied EDR files.

Does CalMan plan to support a similar i1d3 handling what the X-Rite software and ArgyllCMS do (load EDR files or measure a display spectra and compare it with the spectral sensitivity characteristics saved in the i1d3 firmware instead of compiling a matrix by comparing direct measurements from both sensors)?

We do load custom edrs for the C6 where we have a license from X-Rite to do so. For the basic i1 Display Pro we use the facotry EDRs.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #1130 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We do load custom edrs for the C6 where we have a license from X-Rite to do so. For the basic i1 Display Pro we use the facotry EDRs.

Yes, but guess i can't:
1: create custom EDR files with a spectro using CalMan
2: load external EDR files (created by CalMan or any other software which is capable of creating them)
3: at least use the same procedure on-the-fly (no EDR files are involved but the temporally used correction is calculated by comparing the firmware sensitivity data and the recently supplied spectral measurements)
...with any kind of i1d3 hardware (retail, OEM, C6).

I understand if 1 and 2 faces license problems (you could call them *.dsc and use a slightly different file format ) but what about 3?
I guess you are free to load the data from the firmware any time and use the algorithms (I guess the current matrix correction sits on the top of a generic EDR based correction anyway). The only difference is that you don't read from EDR files but from the temporal memory. It's not as forceful as a matrix profile...

It would be nice to save EDR files. Not only you don't need to bring the spectro with you if you already have an EDR file for the particular display model you want to work with (ok, it works with matrices as well...) but 2: You could share them online (you don't need to use a spectro at all if the particular displays in on the online database ; this file contains display data only, the particular i1d3 hardware isn't involved - unlike with a matrix profile...).

I wonder why X-Rite builds and profiles every i1d3 units this carefully if they stop the display characterization with a few generic EDR files. I though there will be a lot of downloadable EDR files on X-Rite's site by now.
Well, not for TVs but for most of the professional monitors like the EIZO CG and NEC PA lines. Those manufacturers could easily supply the necessary data for an EDR file without any additional work on their side. But I am sure manufacturers like Panasonic and Samsung also have this data for their TVs as well. They must measure the displays (not individually every units but every models) with a decent spectro at least once to set up the factory default service menu parameters...

post #1131 of 1402 Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder why X-Rite builds and profiles every i1d3 units this carefully if they stop the display characterization with a few generic EDR files. I though there will be a lot of downloadable EDR files on X-Rite's site by now.
Well, not for TVs but for most of the professional monitors like the EIZO CG and NEC PA lines. Those manufacturers could easily supply the necessary data for an EDR file without any additional work on their side. But I am sure manufacturers like Panasonic and Samsung also have this data for their TVs as well. They must measure the displays (not individually every units but every models) with a decent spectro at least once to set up the factory default service menu parameters...

Yes! This would be awesome! I imagined the C6 as a device that could have hundreds of profiles.. at least for the popular specific projectors and displays... Obviously spectracal cant own all of them but surely there is a way to get a profile on many... ??
post #1132 of 1402 Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes! This would be awesome! I imagined the C6 as a device that could have hundreds of profiles.. at least for the popular specific projectors and displays... Obviously spectracal cant own all of them but surely there is a way to get a profile on many... ??

We can and do add additional display support for the C6 with each release of CalMAN. In the last release we added support for the Sharp quad pixel. With further testing we have found a couple of classes of White LED LCD, standard gamut and wide gamut so we will be adding those in the next CalMAN. I think that will put us up to 15 EDR's variations so far.

We have many more we are working on, OLED, Crystal LED, Xenon, etc

This is why we say the C6 is field upgradable.

Derek

post #1133 of 1402 Old 02-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

The retail i1d3 is also field-upgradable, X-Rite designed it that way.

I appriciate if the C6 is characterized more carefully and I can understand if you decide to make these additionally supplied display specific EDR files available for the C6 only.

But the retail i1d3 sensors also have the same type of factory calibration and could equally benefit from additional EDR files.

The main reason I want the freedom to load my own EDR files in CalMan that I wish to create those files with ArgyllCMS which can extend the accuracy of my ColorMunki with it's Adaptive integration time measurement mode.

But I think now I can understand why you won't allow this: you wish to keep this functionality for the C6 and limit the retail/OEM sensors to the very few generic corrections.
I am not happy about this but I understand business is business...

post #1134 of 1402 Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I imagined the C6 as a device that could have hundreds of profiles

The C6 needs and has (¤ correct me if I am wrong ¤) only one profile: his own spectral sensitivity characteristics (it's a hard job to build, you need a special light generator, various tiles, not „only” a lab spectro...).

But it needs various display spectra profiles to work (every different backlight+LCD panel combinations, every different plasma panels, every different projector designs - not to mention the projector+screen combo if you wish to measure the screen and ypu should... etc... etc.. --- if you want really good absolute accuracy...).

The EDR file is easier to create, you just measure a few color patches on a display panel or a screen with a spectro (but preferably with a reference grade spectro which is not cheap...).

post #1135 of 1402 Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm re-visiting this thread and remembered being really confused on which version worked with what software? Is there a chart that shows Calman, CP, HCFR, etc and the compatability for the OEM, retail versions?

thx

bob
post #1136 of 1402 Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

I'm re-visiting this thread and remembered being really confused on which version worked with what software? Is there a chart that shows Calman, CP, HCFR, etc and the compatability for the OEM, retail versions?

thx

bob

CalMAN supports both.
CP supports OEM.
HCFR supports none.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #1137 of 1402 Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

CalMAN supports both.
CP supports OEM.
HCFR supports none.

Thanks,

That simplifies it!

I assume CP w/ OEM is the most cost effective way to use the D3?

bob
post #1138 of 1402 Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Thanks,

That simplifies it!

I assume CP w/ OEM is the most cost effective way to use the D3?

bob

Not sure what you mean by cost effective but CalMAN DIY with a D3 OEM is the least expensive of all your options $395 vs. $419-440.

Also with CalMAN DIY you can add other meters like a Spyder4, D3 Retail, etc... without having to get another license from us.

Derek

post #1139 of 1402 Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

CalMAN supports both.
CP supports OEM.
HCFR supports none.

HCFR will support OEM and retail D3 and ColorMunki soon
post #1140 of 1402 Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

HCFR will support OEM and retail D3 and ColorMunki soon

If you follow software long enough you start to realize a release date of soon can mean years.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page