AVS Forum banner

X-Rite's Revolutionary New Colorimeter

165K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  PSUHammer 
#1 ·
X-Rite has developed a new and I think ground-breaking colorimeter, the i1 Display Pro III, which most will probably refer to as simply the Display 3.

It is not simply an update to the Display 2. It is a completely different design with an unprecedented price/performance ratio.

For a full review and online demos, see the ChromaPure web site .

See less See more
#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20607728

Ok ive have just placed my order for the Chromapure 2.2 standard software with upgraded Colormunki display 3 as found on chromapure.co.uk

Thanks for the link, I think I will order it from here.

I saw this advertisements of the Spyder colorimeters:

Quote:
This meter is upgraded (within the UK) with the same procedure described in the Chroma5pro information. This means the meter ships with tables for LCDs, LEDs, CRT, projector, plasma when used with ChromaPure.

Two questions:

- Do you offer sensor-unique correction matrices for the ColorMunki display as well?

As much as I understand, this product has it's own factory measured unique (reliable quality) spectral response curves in it's firmware. So, may be the unique matrices are not necessary anymore and it will be enough to have generic corrections for the individual display models. (For example every CMD user will be able to use a "Panasonic G30 spectral measurements" file because the software will be able to compare this with the curves from the firmware (and we can assume that every G30 has the same phosphor gamut with negligible variances only).

- If there are corrections (either generic display model or sensor-unique) then can I access them in simple, human readable text format to use them outside of ChromaPure? (Assume that I bought the sensor from you...)

(I don't have any ChromaPure licenses because I simply don't need any software like that. Don't take it wrong, but I probably still prefer the open-source command line tools even if ChromaPure would be entirely free. I just like ArgyllCMS better than anything else...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20608530

Thxs Tom, thats great news)

Is it you or me who misunderstand that information? I think it is actually a bad news for us. (You have to pay more to access the faster measurement mode with any software, X-Rite or third-party)

#104 ·
The X-Rite names for this family of colorimeters are

ColorMunki Display (retail)

i1 Display Pro III (OEM professional)

I only sell the i1 Display Pro III, but this posed a naming problem. I have always distinguished stock meters from meters I individually calibrate by a PRO suffix. I couldn't very well call the specially calibrated version of the new meter the i1 Display Pro III PRO.

So I have have settled on just Display 3 or Display 3 PRO, which I think is simple and straightforward. Other vendors may choose to call it something else entirely.

#105 ·
Ok i`m a bit noobish ive ordered the colormunki thru chromapure.co.uk+ chromapure 2.2 standard

Can you clear up an issue do do with HTPC.

I dont own a duo or a lumagen etc, I just got a HTPC which i plug my projector into the HDMI port.

Is chromapure just for generating reports? or does it give me access to change my color levels, gamma, secondary primaries etc

My projectors functions are basic, and need color adjustments done thru PC software.

This otherguy says

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k
Hmm.. I hope you aren't misunderstanding what Chromapure can do.. Chromapure's sole purpose in life is a measurement tool using the meter for input. It can't calibrate a projector unless you will be using a video processor such as the Lumagen Mini 3D which now works with Chromapures auto calibration process. Nor does it run on the HTPC as a replacement for a CMS/Gamma controls, etc. This is just a measuring application.

it's only going to give you results based on how far off the projector is from a D65 baseline. It is then up to the end user to make the appropriate changes in the projectors software.

As I outlined earlier, there are several critical areas that have to be adjusted in order to achieve a correct display calibration. If the display doesn't have those features, then you cannot adjust those settings.

In other words, if the color space is a mile off of REC709 standards and you don't have a 6 axis CMS to make adjustments, you'll be left with a pretty chart from Chromapure showing you how far off your projector is...
Is chromapure suitable for HTPC? i was under the impression it was.. yikes, otherwise do i need additional software or a product to calibrate my HTPC projector? do i need to save up for a duo or lumagen?

#106 ·
ChromaPure is a nice GUI which helps you easily adjust your hardware OSD settings (like white point, gamma, gamut and other possible HDTV calibration controls).

The bundle software helps you to adjust a limited number of basic hardware OSD settings (luminance and white point at 100%) and creates a LUT for your VGA card (to precisely adjust the overall white balance and TRC) and also an ICM profile to use it with CMS softwares (used togother with the embedded iCM profile of the content or similar things like that...) for 3D color corrections.

#108 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman

I only sell the i1 Display Pro III, but this posed a naming problem. I have always distinguished stock meters from meters I individually calibrate by a PRO suffix. I couldn't very well call the specially calibrated version of the new meter the i1 Display Pro III PRO.

So I have have settled on just Display 3 or Display 3 PRO, which I think is simple and straightforward. Other vendors may choose to call it something else entirely.
Can a ColorMunki Display be upgraded into the PRO version for $125?

#109 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U
Can a ColorMunki Display be upgraded into the PRO version for $125?
Thats what i have just ordered today

1 x ChromaPure Version 2.2 Standard & ColorMunki Display Pro (bought from chromapure UK as i am from england etc)

Also thxs janos for your explaination

#110 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk
Thats what i have just ordered today

1 x ChromaPure Version 2.2 Standard & ColorMunki Display Pro (bought from chromapure UK as i am from england etc)

Also thxs janos for your explaination
don't see that option in the US

#112 ·
Hmm you know i ordered my colormunki pro today..

seems theres an issue..

"Dear all,

There may be an issue with the support with the Colormunki within ChromaPure. We are trying to establish the problem with Xrite in the UK, USA and EU. This is not something that had previously envisaged. We had previously been informed that they were the same meter, and it is only when the production samples appeared that the issue arose. I am going to speaking to Xrite again in the morning, and will keep you informed, and dependant on the outcome, any of you with outstanding orders will be offered the chance to upgrade to the i1Display Pro (for the price difference), or receive a full refund.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards

Ricky

#113 ·
I just had a lengthy discussion with X-Rite, and here's what I learned.
  • There are actually 3 versions of this meter--ColorMunki, i1 Display Pro III retail, and an i1 Display Pro III OEM.
  • The ColorMunki and Display Pro retail are for the retail market only and are designed to work with the included X-Rite software for monitor profiling.
  • The retail versions will NOT function in ChromaPure or any other vendor's software other than X-Rite. Only the OEM version will work because the code in ChromaPure includes a password for enabling it.
  • The retail and OEM versions of the i1 Display Pro are otherwise identical.
  • If you want to use this meter with ChromaPure, then you have to obtain the meter from ChromaPure directly, one of my partners (e.g. AVS), or another OEM vendor. Versions of this meter obtained in the retail market will not work.

This is why some in the U.K. got meters before I did. What they have are apparently the retail versions, which, if I understood this correctly, won't even work with ChromaPure. The OEM meters won't be released for another 3 weeks or so yet.

I hope this clarifies things.

#114 ·
EDITED

Oh nice. "It was too lovely to be true..." There is always a catch.

I think it will also make it more difficult (if not impossible in reasonable time with the available resources) to get it work with ArgyllCMS.

Why the hell they did it...? Why can't I use at least the PRO version with any third-party softwares???

#115 ·
It is not a bug at all. X-Rite intentionally engineered it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666
Is it a software or a hardware related bug?

If the first ColorMunki Display hardwares are defective then we can't be sure when it will be safe to order one from random webshops.

#118 ·
I`m still about confused about chromapure 2.2

theres a bunch of people telling me different things some say chromapure generates reports only, and it wouldnt be suitable for my projector as my projector controls have only; brightness, contrast, saturation and has no other whiteness, blacklevels to access

Others are saying chromapure does full colour managment, so i`m guessing you can alter settings within chromapure to get an optimal picture.

Is the LUT file generated though the x-rite softwares, then after i would have to use chromapure? or can i ditch the x-rite software and calibrate my projector using just chromapure

My projector has no advanced CMS controls to access and really need the color managment through PC to run my projector. I have an ATI 5750 with HDMI port and use my PC as a HTPC. Curently my projector is running a bit blue.

Ive tried powerstrip, but it suxs i was hoping chromapure with the i1 display 3 would get me lovely pc colours.

Sorry if it seems ive asked this question before, but i cant seem to get a definitive answer.

Help plz!

#119 ·
Except for controlling some external signal generators and video processors, CP doesn't "do" anything. Along with a color analyzer and test patterns it allows you to measure and report your display's performance. It makes no actual adjustments. It doesn't create LUTs or profiles.

The only way that it would help with a display with little or no calibration controls would be in concert with a DVDO Duo or Lumagen Radiance video processor.
Quote:
I`m still about confused about chromapure 2.2

theres a bunch of people telling me different things some say chromapure generates reports only, and it wouldnt be suitable for my projector as my projector controls have only; brightness, contrast, saturation and has no other whiteness, blacklevels to access

Others are saying chromapure does full colour managment, so i`m guessing you can alter settings within chromapure to get an optimal picture.

Is the LUT file generated though the x-rite softwares, then after i would have to use chromapure? or can i ditch the x-rite software and calibrate my projector using just chromapure

My projector has no advanced CMS controls to access and really need the color managment through PC to run my projector. I have an ATI 5750 with HDMI port and use my PC as a HTPC. Curently my projector is running a bit blue.

Ive tried powerstrip, but it suxs i was hoping chromapure with the i1 display 3 would get me lovely pc colours.

Sorry if it seems ive asked this question before, but i cant seem to get a definitive answer.

Help plz!

#121 ·
Quote:
Or a Video Eq device that works with Calman 4.2+. Video Eq is an inline HDMI device that allows you to have color management for devices such as yours that don't allow access to calibrate. May be a service menu though. For the price of the Video EQ Pro, you would be better suited to get a video processor that allows for color management. I personally have the Radiance XE 3D, but the DVDO is a decent VP. I believe the DVDO costs are less than the Radiance. If you can spring for the Lumagen I highly recommend it.

If for some reason you are only using your projector with a HTPC (and nothing else). I believe Calman has a piece of software that stays resident on your PC to calibrate the settings coming out of HTPC. Believe it's called CalPC. Haven't played with it much. Perhaps Chromapure has something like this. If you have other sources, then disregard this as it will only affect the HTPC.

#122 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman

Perhaps add the distinction/explanation to the bottom of your review so that individuals don't buy the wrong version and get stuck wasting their money/time. Might cut down on confusion and questions.

I gather from this information that you used the OEM version for your review?

#123 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC
Or a Video Eq device that works with Calman 4.2+. Video Eq is an inline HDMI device that allows you to have color management for devices such as yours that don't allow access to calibrate. May be a service menu though. For the price of the Video EQ Pro, you would be better suited to get a video processor that allows for color management. I personally have the Radiance XE 3D, but the DVDO is a decent VP. I believe the DVDO costs are less than the Radiance. If you can spring for the Lumagen I highly recommend it.
Thxs Jim appreciate the advice yeh a radiance or duo would be great. I`ll look into the Video EQ thanks for explaining its an HDMI device. I had heard Video Eq mentioned before but is hard to search, i have some good clues to go on ,, cheers !

#124 ·
Quote:
Thxs Jim appreciate the advice yeh a radiance or duo would be great. I`ll look into the Video EQ thanks for explaining its an HDMI device. I had heard Video Eq mentioned before but is hard to search, i have some good clues to go on ,, cheers !
Or CalPC which can help you calibrate both the TV and the computer

#125 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti
Or CalPC which can help you calibrate both the TV and the computer
Ah yeh thxs but i need it for projector.

*A note for all you software developers

There isnt hardly any decent PC software around that has full CMS contol. Powerstrip is probably the closest but it still suxs.

I`m sure the HTPC market is growing expedentially, & with 1080p projectors becoming more affordable, there a gap here for some good professional full PC based CMS calibration software!

Just hope the i1 display 3 with the x right software is enough.. until i can afford a lumigen radiance (sometime never ...lol)

#126 ·
Tom, do you know if the upcoming OEM version of D3 will include & can run the x-rite software (iProfiler) that is available with D3 retail version?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.