post #181 of 1402 Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

How am I supposed to interpret the Plasma/CRT section of this chart by Spectracal that compares the C6 to the i1Display; particularly the lack of a check next to 'Plasma'?

SpectraCAL i1D3 OEM has a Single Table for both Plasma and CRT.
ChromaPure i1D3 OEM has Plasma Table.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Tom
I have both the i1Pro and the Chroma 5 Pro that I have bought from u with Chromapure Pro
Can I just buy the i1D3 OEM and profile it against the i1Pro or would a Display 3 PRO have some advantages against the OME even if I profiled it against my i1Pro

PerS
post #183 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 AM

Has anyone seen any technical details such as dE, repeatability and usable luminance range for this product published by xrite?
post #184 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 AM

Liked: 12
Ok, I can see that SpectraCal wants me to join their family, with their D3 package deal.

What advantages, if any, can the ChromaPure w/D3 package offer someone moving from HCFR and Display2/LT for the additional $100?

My question is from the perspective of someone who wants to get the most out my new plasma display by calibration. I have ControlCal in hand to adjust the panel.
post #185 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Being this a non contact device what is the maximum distance I can place the i1Pro from a target?
post #186 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
What advantages, if any, can the ChromaPure w/D3 package offer someone moving from HCFR and Display2/LT for the additional $100?
I suggest you give my updated FAQ: Which meter is right for me? a read to learn more about the Display 2/LT and Display 3 (aka 'i1Pro Display PRO III') differences, and generally where the Display 3 sits in reference to the other popular meters out there.

Kal

Editor:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Founder:

|

post #187 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
I suggest you give my updated FAQ: Which meter is right for me? a read to learn more about the Display 2/LT and Display 3 (aka 'i1Pro Display PRO III') differences, and generally where the Display 3 sits in reference to the other popular meters out there.

Kal
Thanks Kal,

I have seen your FAQ. Very nice summary. I am committed to the D3 right now. But the choice between CalMan and ChromaPure is what I am working through.
post #188 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Kal
Does this new meter still have issues with ambient drift when used in contact mode? Also, does it still need a 30 min warm up on the display? Is there internal temperature compensation built-in like with the Chroma 5?

post #189 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

It seems there is no temperature compensation but you can use it in non-contact setup to avoid the temperature drift.

The sensor acclimatisation is a good idea to avoid the fluctuations during the calibration (it provides a smoother grayscale) but it's even better to keep the sensor temperature close to the standard room temperature which the instrument was calibrated for in the factory (still smooth grayscale and possibly more accurate readings during the calibration).

My workaround was that I profiled the warmed up colorimeter with a cold spectro but it's still safer to keep the colorimeter at the room temperature...

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #190 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I asked Tom of ChromaPure and he doesn't remember seeing anything about temp compensation in the SDK (software development kit) so it likely doesn't exist. Not really needed however as you can use it in non-contact mode like janos666 mentioned. That's likely why they dropped the temp compensation feature for this meter.

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #191 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

The SDK doesn't need to mention it if it's a fully automated hardware level thing.

For example, some people think the main IC in the i1d2 may have some kind of internal temperature correction (which is not as good as a full temperature compensation solution but better than nothing and completely transparent).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #192 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

this was told to me directly by Joshua Quain late this afternoon.. that "the OEM i1 Display requires the Colorimeter Add-on" ..... which is also the requirement for the Chroma 5.

I'll bring that table up immediately to Joshua and post with the appropriate correction after his reply....

I haven't receive a reply from Josh but I did see that Derek posted in regards to this at their Forum.

it looks like the Colorimeter Add-on (though Derek wrote "tristim add-on") is required as Joshua stated but for the time being, SpectraCal is including the Add-On for with the OEM i1Display Meter only.

Good Deal!

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #193 of 1402 Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

I haven't receive a reply from Josh but I did see that Derek posted in regards to this at their Forum.

it looks like the Colorimeter Add-on (though Derek wrote "tristim add-on") is required as Joshua stated but for the time being, SpectraCal is including the Add-On for with the OEM i1Display Meter only.

Good Deal!

I'm glad I placed my order today then!

post #194 of 1402 Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Could someone please explain the non contact method a bit more. If I use my tripod with the meter, I anticipate it will be sitting out about 1 foot from my display. Is this proper? How far from the display should the meter be when used? A link to a picture of this meter being used in the non contact fashion would be helpful. Thanks.

-Mark
post #195 of 1402 Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Same question here.....
post #196 of 1402 Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 216
It is just a lens collecting light. The closer the probe is to the screen, the smaller the area from which the light will be collected. If you are using window test patterns, the probe should be close enough so that it is not collecting light outside of the boundaries of the test pattern.

1-2 feet should be fine.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #197 of 1402 Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the quick answer
post #198 of 1402 Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Has anyone received the i1Display3?
post #199 of 1402 Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagp View Post

Has anyone received the i1Display3?

I pre-ordered SpectraCal's C6 version. I was told mid July. So... soon.
post #200 of 1402 Old 07-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

I pre-ordered SpectraCal's C6 version. I was told mid July. So... soon.

What is the benefit of the C6 over the iDisplay3Pro for ChromaPure (aside from the software)

I'm looking to get one of these to just calibrate my tvs (most importantly my new 59D7000) around my house and for a few of my friends/

I'm still not sure how to choose between CalMan and ChromaPure, but that's a whole separate issue.

I'm also not sure if I need the calibrated one or not.

I also understand that the Pro models extra tables will only work with their respective software, but like if I got the iDisplay3 OEM from calman, and then decided I wanted to try ChromaPure, would that meter work? Could I then later get it calibrated by either if I liked one better than the other?
post #201 of 1402 Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
The C6 is different hardware from X-Rite, with a different part number, it's more than just profiles.

It will natively be more accurate than an OEM i1 Display Pro and then it will the additional calibration tables to increase accuracy on a variety of display types.

What X-Rite is telling us vendors is that our OEM meters from them are locked to our access codes. So a SpectraCal meter will only work with SpectraCal software, and we will be unable to provide support for anyone else's meters, since we will not have their unlock codes.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #202 of 1402 Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

I currently own Calman 3.7.

I am not confortable with the new Calman 4 user interface... I don´t really get it... so I am going to try Chromapure.
post #203 of 1402 Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just so there's no confusion, all i1 Display Pro III's, regardless of which vendor they are purchased from and regardless of which configuration in which they are sold, and regardless of how they are named, will have the same lens, the same diffuser, the same filters, the same form factor, the same photo-sensitive diodes, and the same core firmware.

The only differences will be with respect to packaging, labeling, extra accessories, and any corrections provided to improve accuracy. These corrections can be stored on the meter's EEPROM or in the vendor's software. The vendor may also choose to password protect their meters so they may not be used by other software packages.

As a matter of policy, ChromaPure does not and will never lock their OEM meters so they may not be used with other software. We will be happy to support any OEM i1Display Pro III, regardless of which vendor from which it was purchased, unless that vendor's policies prevent this.

Finally, the corrections provided in our PRO configuration are stored in the license file and processed in the application. No change is made to the meter itself.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #204 of 1402 Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

The C6 is different hardware from X-Rite, with a different part number, it's more than just profiles.

It will natively be more accurate than an OEM i1 Display Pro and then it will the additional calibration tables to increase accuracy on a variety of display types.

What X-Rite is telling us vendors is that our OEM meters from them are locked to our access codes. So a SpectraCal meter will only work with SpectraCal software, and we will be unable to provide support for anyone else's meters, since we will not have their unlock codes.

I'm confused?
The way I read SpectraCal's web info compared to X-rite info on the new meters it sounds like the i1 Display from SpectraCal is the New Colormunki hardware and the C6 is the i1 Display Pro... Or are you saying X-Rite made a third piece of hardware just for SpectraCal that only they sell that is the C6 which is another 5x faster than the i1 Display Pro speeds?

I was under the impression that an OEM Colormunki was not available for third party software?

I would like to place an order myself but the options available from SpectraCal on the new hardware sound a bit strange to me.

Any help with clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.
Example can you post the X-Rite part numbers for the meters in each package?
post #205 of 1402 Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:

It will natively be more accurate than an OEM i1 Display Pro

What is the accuracy in terms of dE for those?
post #206 of 1402 Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpuZapper333 View Post

Any help with clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.
Example can you post the X-Rite part numbers for the meters in each package?

Since it's saturday and I'm not at the office I can't get the part numbers, but the OEM i1 Display is the OEM version of the standard X-Rite i1 Display Pro.

The C6 is uplevel hardware not available elsewhere, currently.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #207 of 1402 Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrih View Post

What is the accuracy in terms of dE for those?

We'll have specs when we get finial hardware from X-Rite.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #208 of 1402 Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Just so there's no confusion, all i1 Display Pro III's, regardless of which vendor they are purchased from and regardless of which configuration in which they are sold, and regardless of how they are named, will have the same lens, the same diffuser, the same filters, the same form factor, the same photo-sensitive diodes, and the same core firmware.

The only differences will be with respect to packaging, labeling, extra accessories, and any corrections provided to improve accuracy. These corrections can be stored on the meter's EEPROM or in the vendor's software. The vendor may also choose to password protect their meters so they may not be used by other software packages.

Quote:

This does not sound congruent. It appears that the ChromaPure expert is saying something different from the Spectracal expert. So what is the correct answer? What different hardware is being offered and how does this change things? The way the information is being presented is confusing a number of people.
post #209 of 1402 Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1 View Post
This does not sound congruent. It appears that the ChromaPure expert is saying something different from the Spectracal expert. So what is the correct answer? What different hardware is being offered and how does this change things? The way the information is being presented is confusing a number of people.
I tried to be as specific as possible. If someone claims that their version of the OEM i1 Display Pro III--however named and labeled--has "different hardware", then you should request similar specifics. I have read no reference to anything specific in this regard other than accessories (e.g., carrying case and tripod extender).

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #210 of 1402 Old 07-09-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1 View Post
The way the information is being presented is confusing a number of people.
It is patently obvious that as usual there is an intent to do so. Good old fashioned FUD is being planted far and wide.

The pet cat relationship between X-Rite and SpectraCal is once more in evidence. It is hard to figure who is more deserving of disdain for the way this is being handled.. X-Rite or SpectraCal?

Just another blank signature.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page