i1 Display 3 /i1 display Pro X-rite software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-25-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The manual that comes with the i1 display 3 suxs.
The training videos dont really get in depth about projector calibration, so was wondering if people have found techniques to get better calibration.

In particular, i wanted to know where the reset button is!

i had to use powerstrip to activate my displays default settings, before being able to try again an x-rite calibration again.

Apparently the i1 display 3 is an amazing product, so surely the x-rite software of such an expensive device can do what it promises and offer a professional projector /LCD image.

I`m sure chromapure software is an amazing 3rd party software, but that costs extra money.
iTS UPTO US to point out its flaws in the i1profiler program so x-rite can make us a decent patch.. and actually make the software usable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-25-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk View Post

The manual that comes with the i1 display 3 suxs.
The training videos dont really get in depth about projector calibration, so was wondering if people have found techniques to get better calibration.

In particular, i wanted to know where the reset button is!

i had to use powerstrip to activate my displays default settings, before being able to try again an x-rite calibration again.

Also is there a way to continue to build up and expand your ICC profile, i.e drop multiple pictures to create multiple patch tests+ keep adding extra colors from the panatone manager, thus improve accuracy.

The calibration test is fast, but i really would like it to be more indepth analyzing more colours.

& what does the trending function do? and how to use it.

I hate to say it, but you would benefit from an ISF training class. Especially one that uses the software you plan to use to get hands on training with your software of choice and different display types. Perhaps an AVS forum member that is both generous and has spare time could share some basic instruction. I recall you purchased from ChromaPure, so perhaps contact Chromapure and see if they have training video's etc.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-25-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ah Thxs Jim,
i had orginally ordered the colormunki Pro (chromapure calibrated) with chromapure software,then found out chromapure would be useless without a DVDO Duo or Lumagen Radiance, as my projector has basic controls only just brightness, contrast, & colour saturation.

So in the end i changed my order & just got the i1 dispay 3 with x-rite software, and decidedto ditch the chromapure software until one day when i can afford to get a DUO or lumagen.
post #4 of 24 Old 06-25-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

x-rite errors

Ive used this i1 display 3 with xrite software just once this morning when it was delivered, and now its evening time and dark outside to finally get my projector calibrated, this x-rite software is giving me errors!

Failed to set Luts from profile: C \\windows\\system32\\spool\\drivers\\color\\ProjectorD.icm

i`m gonna have to register the meter and join the technical supprt i guess

I even did a system restore to before i installed the x-rite software..& still not working...
post #5 of 24 Old 06-25-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

After a few attempts i figured out the trick, seems a bit buggy but if u save the workflow before u create the profile there a chance it may work after a few times.

One of the side effect of i1 display 3 after i did my displays was that when i preview a picture in a small window it looks very dark, even if i stretch it it looks dark, but then if i enable it full screen or slideshow it looks correct.. its a bit of a strange program,
post #6 of 24 Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

I hate to say it, but you would benefit from an ISF training class. Especially one that uses the software you plan to use to get hands on training with your software of choice and different display types. Perhaps an AVS forum member that is both generous and has spare time could share some basic instruction. I recall you purchased from ChromaPure, so perhaps contact Chromapure and see if they have training video's etc.

This may give you the basic information you need to get started:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #7 of 24 Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

This may give you the basic information you need to get started:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Link is dead.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Sent this to tech support, outlines my issues with the i1 display3 software.

I recieved my i1 display pro on friday, the x-rite software is having a problem sometimes in creating the LUT file.

I have windows 64 bit ultimate, i7 core quad core, with ATI 5750 graphics card.

With the issue, i even did a system restore to before i installed the software to no avail,

so far ive managed to complete a 119 color patch test and a 2,000 colour patch test & succesfully create an ICC profile, however the majoity of the time it fails to create it resulting in a:

Failed to set Luts from profile: C \\windows\\system32\\spool\\drivers\\color\\ProjectorD.icm.

The profile does getmade, as i can see the 3d graph and LUT graph, however the before and after may fail to respond and show results showing the same failed to set Luts message.

Also another side effect of the (rare)successful creation of an ICC, was that when i preview a picture from i.e desktop or my documents etc. the oreview windows looks very dark even if i stretch it it looks dark, but then if i enable it full screen or slideshow it looks correct.. its a bit of a strange.

When attempting to do the 9,000 colour patch test, after the measurements had completed, i tried to save the work flow to file, before creating the ICC profile, and the program crashed giving me the following message:

runtime error!
Program Crogram files (x86)\\X-rite\\iprofiler\\iprofiler.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

On another minor note trying to import a custom picture color patch from pantone to iprofiler created a file but the patch it displays is one color being black on all panatone custom pics!. if i click the black patch within iprofiler the program crashes.

Exporting proper panatone color patches was succesful so at least that function works..

Please advise me i really wish to get my new purchase functioning perfectly & finally calibrate my 1080p projector.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Are you running windows Vista or Windows 7? I think both have ultimate versions.

You can try to run the application in compatibility mode to see if the problems continue.
Just right click on the program executable and select properties then Compatibility, then run this program in compatibility mode for windows XP.

See if that helps.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ah thxs, i`m running win 7 64 bit Ultimate. i havent tried compatability yet.. may give it a go.
Coincidently only today they have posted a new update of the x-rite i1 profiler software

i havent tried it yet. I am downloading it now!

its wierd tho as today i had a reply from x-rite and they never mentioned there was an update instead they suggested i uninstall ATI catalyst lol

With catalyst unistalled i managed to do a 3180 colour patch fine! but 3900 & 6,000+ patches and it comes up with
runtime error!
Program Crogram files (x86)\\X-rite\\iprofiler\\iprofiler.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Hopefully i can calibrate the whole pantone colours (20,000+colours) once the software is stable!

I hope this update works better than whats on the disc.
will give it a go
post #11 of 24 Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Ah Thxs Jim,
i had orginally ordered the colormunki Pro (chromapure calibrated) with chromapure software,then found out chromapure would be useless without a DVDO Duo or Lumagen Radiance, as my projector has basic controls only just brightness, contrast, & colour saturation.

So in the end i changed my order & just got the i1 dispay 3 with x-rite software, and decidedto ditch the chromapure software until one day when i can afford to get a DUO or lumagen.

Just a warning to those considering buying the X-Rite Display Pro III (Display 3 for short) now and later buying third party calibration software. You need to be aware that the retail version of the Display 3 can only be used with the X-rite software (i.e., it is hardware locked to only work with their own software). The same is true for the new Colormunki sensor. An OEM version of the Display 3 is scheduled to be begin shipping in mid-July, from sources such as ChromaPure, that is not hardware locked and will work with third party software, e.g, ChromaPure.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #12 of 24 Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

yes that it a good point people should be aware of,

I have opted for no chromapure software as you need a good CMS projector for it or a DVDO duo or a Lumagen Radiance which i cant afford.

I wanted to explore the x-rite software, as clearly the hardware is a "technological revolution" and really x-rite should be able to have good software to get above reasonable results.

For the die hard enthusiasts searching for perfection, yes it involves spending money. but for people who want a reasonable decent picture and on a budget; the x-rite software SHOULD deliver what it says on the product box...... well thats the theory...
post #13 of 24 Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

The x-rite update didnt work at all for me

The measurements seem to be quicker is the only positive i can say about the update. a 140 min calibration was reduced to 100mins.

However as i cant save the ICC profile at all. Thows back the same errors

Looks like i had better luck with the install disc, but them i`m back to slower measurements for a small chance the program will create an ICC.

On the plus side i manage to make a 3240 color patch before trying the dreadful update.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

OK i found the problem.

Perhaps my projector is too wierd as its 3 LCD & 3 LED.

For some reason i1profiler cant process my measurments and make an ICC profile if i use D65.

When i selected native instead of D65 it works fine!
I tried D65 a number of times and always fails, but when i select native it works perfectly!
post #15 of 24 Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
that is good news SMJ

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #16 of 24 Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

OK i found the problem.

Perhaps my projector is too wierd as its 3 LCD & 3 LED.

For some reason i1profiler cant process my measurments and make an ICC profile if i use D65.

When i selected native instead of D65 it works fine!
I tried D65 a number of times and always fails, but when i select native it works perfectly!

Are you manually adjusting the projector to D65?

You should calibrate the hardware as much as you can, the less work you have to do in the software LUT the better.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #17 of 24 Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Are you manually adjusting the projector to D65?

You should calibrate the hardware as much as you can, the less work you have to do in the software LUT the better.

Thxs, yeh i`m hoping to get the service code for my projector soon, and will hopefully have access to the advanced controls.. at the moment i only got basic brightness, contrast and saturation.

On the plus side i managed to a 4812 colors patch test at native illumination. looking really good!
post #18 of 24 Old 07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Link is dead.

Looks alive and well to me. Sorry you're having trouble. Try Google with "Greyscale for Dummies."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 24 Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I have opted for no chromapure software as you need a good CMS projector for it or a DVDO duo or a Lumagen Radiance which i cant afford.

That is not true. You don't need a projector with a built in CMS, or a DVDO Duo or a Lumagen to use ChromaPure (or any other calibration software for that matter).

My projector does not have a CMS nor do I own either of the video processors listed and there's no way I would not use software such as ChromaPure to do a greyscale calibration on my projector.

All 3 of those items can be beneficial of course (how much is dependant on many factors), but what you wrote above is not a requirement to using ChromaPure (or any other calibration software).

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #20 of 24 Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
^ Agreed. A proper greyscale is probably the most important factor from my (novice) perspective. Once greyscale is correct, the picture can be made to look pretty good with some simple adjustments of the main color control. Not as good as a full CMS mind you, but significantly improved.

I've seen large improvements with my old Sony VW40 projector and with my new Panasonic VT30 plasma simply by adjusting greyscale in the SM and tweaking the color control by eye for a few hours using tons of different real-world material until flesh tones look "right". Doing this, I've ended up with a color value several points below what discs like S&M and DVE tell me it should be set at when using the blue filters. On both of these devices color was way too saturated at that level and it was readily apparent in most flesh tones.

EDITED TO ADD:
Also note that both of these devices had noticeably inaccurate greyscales out of the box in their most accurate mode (i.e. warm 2 on the Panasonic). On my Panasonic, "warm 2" was too warm and "warm 1" was too cool. This was apparent with most material before I ever hooked up a meter to measure. When the color temp is off just a few hundred degrees, a big difference can be seen in the resulting picture. For example, "warm 2" made everything a tad too red and "warm 1" made everything not quite red enough. They were each probably somewhere around 6000k and 7000k respectively instead of the 6500k goal. When I finally hooked up a meter, my suspicion was confirmed - blue was around 7-8% too low across the 30-100 IRE range while red and green were reasonably accurate (using "warm" mode in the SM which equals "warm 2" in the user menu). Boosting the blue drive in the SM alone made a significant improvement in the resulting picture (I had already properly set the main color control to reduce over-saturation on my display).

So no, I don't think that a CMS or video processor is necessary to see PQ improvements. Basic greyscale balancing combined with tweaking the "user" controls (contrast, brightness, color) can go a long way on their own based on my experience.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Looks alive and well to me. Sorry you're having trouble. Try Google with "Greyscale for Dummies."

Or just try the link in kal's sig (he's the author ).

post #22 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Im having issues as well and have been banging my head on the table over the past 5 days trying to get a successful calibration. I have used the i1Display 2 in the past and it worked great. (friends) With the new i1Display Pro, I keep getting a consistently wrong calibration. My photos all look dull and the reds are desaturated. Whats bad is if I fix the reds on the photo and post it on the web and I download it on a computer that isnt calibrated, the photo is oversaturated with red. I have tried almost every single configuration possible with the new calibrator and it never gets it right. I contacted xrite and they replied telling me to reset monitor to factory default and run the i1Profiler with Auto Display Control on. It still yielded same bad results. I know the i1Display 2 was correct because I tested on many monitors of all sorts and the photos all looked relatively the same with slight variances in temperature. Anyone know what I am doing wrong or a suggestion that would help me get this working?? The new calibrator is very consistent. Its just that its consistenly wrong!
post #23 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 07:27 AM

I have just started to use the i1profiler software with an older i1 Pro, the results have been very good but I would like to find better documentation on what starting points are best for this software and how to get the best results? I have been using the ADC mode for my initial tests and found the large patch set gave me the best display profile so far.

photojunky, I was surprised to hear X-rite suggest to use the ADC mode as the HELP in the program said to set the contrast and brightness manually first?

This is right out of the Help section of the program.

For a higher quality profile, X-Rite recommends that you adjust your display hardware settings to the ideal conditions prior to making your profile.
By enabling the Adjust brightness and contrast checkbox, i1Profiler will guide you through the process of setting your display color controls to the ideal condition.

I would think this points you to skip to the adjust brightness and contrast section, set manually first and then go back and use ADC to calibrate. So far I have not tried this but just using ADC on its own I have had different results based on the initial display settings when I started the calibration. Should one always start with the factory settings or will running the manual calibration more than once yield a more accurate calibration?

I would like to know a proper sequence to follow to get the best results as for me I have never seen the factory defaults as the ideal conditions!

What order of steps are other iProfiler users finding are the best?
I look forward to your suggestions.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yeh i kept getting errors when trying to do D65, but if i use native setting it works.

The best soloution which i`m exploring to get the max out of i1profiler is to watch your video, HD content and then take a screen capture/snapshot of the offending scene.

Crop the image so you just got the part that looks bad.
& continue to collect snapshots from other sources.

make sure i1profiler is running before you use pantone color manager.

Choose make a new pallette & give it a name.
Now you can drag a multitude of pics onto the new profile, and it will extract the colors from the images

when you have a few pics added & ready then export them to i1profiler. ( make sure i1profiler is running or the exported file will be corrupt)

In i1 profiler, you can add your new pallette when adding spot colors, and then hopefully your ready to go.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page