Calibration for LG 55LW5600 (Passive 3D LED/LCD) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3 part post.

1.) I just purchased 2 LG 55LW5600 Passive 3D sets and wondering how much of a difference calibration will be for these TV's.

Both of these TV's will be in rooms with quite a bit of sunlight coming in.
Most of the viewing will be 2D (3D only on RARE occasions)
We'll be sitting 10-12 feet away from the TV's in both rooms
I'm by no means a videophile so I don't think I'll notice slight changes

I never had my older 51 inch RPT (Sony KP51WS510) calibrated, but was never thrilled with the picture either.

2.) There are quite a few calibrators out there. If I do the calibration on these TV's, what qualifications/experience should I make sure the one I choose has for these new Passive 3D LED/LCD Sets? Should I make sure he has direct experience calibrating passive 3D TV's?

3.) How much should I expect to pay for calibration on 2 of these TV's? Multi-calibration discount ?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrllc View Post

3 part post.

1.) I just purchased 2 LG 55LW5600 Passive 3D sets and wondering how much of a difference calibration will be for these TV's.

Both of these TV's will be in rooms with quite a bit of sunlight coming in.
Most of the viewing will be 2D (3D only on RARE occasions)
We'll be sitting 10-12 feet away from the TV's in both rooms
I'm by no means a videophile so I don't think I'll notice slight changes

I never had my older 51 inch RPT (Sony KP51WS510) calibrated, but was never thrilled with the picture either.

2.) There are quite a few calibrators out there. If I do the calibration on these TV's, what qualifications/experience should I make sure the one I choose has for these new Passive 3D LED/LCD Sets? Should I make sure he has direct experience calibrating passive 3D TV's?

3.) How much should I expect to pay for calibration on 2 of these TV's? Multi-calibration discount ?

Thanks!

1. Here's a link to a calibration review from another LW5600 owner. He is very enthusiastic; everyone's results and perceptions are going to be different, but you get the idea. Even to a non-videophile, there should be a noticeable improvement.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20556368

2. Check owner references; happy customers are one of, if not the most important thing to look for. They should also use a spectro as a meter. They should calibrate the 10 point wb/gamma adjustment and the partial CMS adjustment.
IMO, passive 3D calibration experience is not required. Passive 3D calibrates pretty much like active 3D, though light output is much stronger. The glasses should be put over the meter to calibrate 3D mode.

3. Many if not most calibrators offer a multi set discount.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300

Why I don't publish settings
Review index and rankings
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

Also ask yourself if you want someone to just come in and do it ... and then leave ... and not really explaining much to you.

That's called giving a guy an answer ... problem is ... he doesn't understand the question. So if you don't understand why the calibrated image is supposed to be better ... what good is it to you? Answers without understanding ... are answers without meaning ...

It kinda matters.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #4 of 7 Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM

Anyone have any settings they like and want to share?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulInParkSlope View Post

Anyone have any settings they like and want to share?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906
post #6 of 7 Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I found this quote interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

...If you believe swapping settings is of value to you, go right ahead. The purpose of this thread is to inform practitioners of the methodology that the place to engage in this activity is best done in the threads dedicated to specific makes and models of their display device. This thread is also an attempt to dispel the misunderstanding that swapping settings is a substitute for genuine display calibration. Such practice has no place in this section of the forum. If it is encouraged, only confusion will result, as well as unrealistic expectations, and the unwanted burden of inappropriate thread traffic.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

Thanks, I do appreciate the help since I am not as familiar with this place as the long timers are. But didnt I do exactly what you say in bold above? I'm in the thread dedicated to my make and model. And while I understand copying isnt perfect, it is a starting point as others have said.

And I would love to try a DVD Calibrartion tool, but
a.) With Movies on Demand everywhere, I don't even own a DVD
b.) does a DVD calibration even help me with my Cable STB? Based on what I read in that other thread, I would say you agree that it doesnt

What I need is a cable TV channel that helps me calibrate. I would even "pay for view". But I dont really know of one. Do they exist? Maybe this is next great unexplored frontier for you Calibration professionals.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulInParkSlope View Post

I found this quote interesting...

Thanks, I do appreciate the help since I am not as familiar with this place as the long timers are. But didnt I do exactly what you say in bold above? I'm in the thread dedicated to my make and model. And while I understand copying isnt perfect, it is a starting point as others have said.

And I would love to try a DVD Calibrartion tool, but
a.) With Movies on Demand everywhere, I don't even own a DVD
b.) does a DVD calibration even help me with my Cable STB? Based on what I read in that other thread, I would say you agree that it doesnt

What I need is a cable TV channel that helps me calibrate. I would even "pay for view". But I dont really know of one. Do they exist? Maybe this is next great unexplored frontier for you Calibration professionals.

Your post fits within the bold section you highlighted from my quote. However, as with many misapplications of isolated data in public forums, you ignored the complete context of the thread. Please go to the LCD owner's sub section of the forum to seek the swapping of settings: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=166

Yes, copying others' work is a starting point. So are the factory defaults. Neither condition is reliably accurate for your specific display, in your individual viewing environment conditions, with your chosen signal source devices.

Studying an optical disc tutorial program will provide an education on the basic behavior of displays, the various picture adjustment controls, and expose the viewer to more correct image content. The user will get a general familiarity with how a video image should appear. That education will better enable adapting to general image adjustment requirements for other signal sources and video programs by eye. Simply swapping settings doesn't provide an education.

I don't agree that studying a calibration disc would not help you adjust your display for your cable box. You misunderstood what I said in the linked thread. To be more clear, let me say that the behavior of an optical disc player will not be identical to a cable set top box, nor will the test signals on the disc be identical to cable TV programs. However, as I stated in the previous paragraph, there definitely is benefit to investing in the practical education that disc tutorials provide.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread