Display calibration with A/V Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2011, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am new to this but by reading this forum and searching the web I kind of have an idea of how to calibrate my display.
Most of the display let you have different settings per source, this is nice but what if you use a A/V receiver ?

The display only has one source, the receiver, and it is the receiver that has multiple sources.

How could I calibrate sources differently with this setup ?

Thanks for your insights.

P.S.
The hardware in question is:
Onkyo TX-NR709 / Samsung 46D6100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylane View Post
Hi,

I am new to this but by reading this forum and searching the web I kind of have an idea of how to calibrate my display.
Most of the display let you have different settings per source, this is nice but what if you use a A/V receiver ?

The display only has one source, the receiver, and it is the receiver that has multiple sources.

How could I calibrate sources differently with this setup ?

Thanks for your insights.

P.S.
The hardware in question is:
Onkyo TX-NR709 / Samsung 46D6100
Most projectors have multiple (some only two) user settings that you can save.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 218
The days of needing different calibrations for different sources are (mostly) over. Modern digital video sources don't have the range of variation that used to exist with analog video. It has been a long time since I ran into, say, a Blu-ray player and cable/satellite box that needed separate (different) calibrations. You only need to insure that each source has the right settings and is not altering the video being sent out. Games are not "calibrated" unless they are THX certified (in which case they will match Blu-ray) as there's no color standard for the gaming industry. So using the HDTV standard is the only real alternative because you don't know if the next game is going to be accurate (THX) or some random "standard" used by the game company.

If you are still running an old VCR and laserdisc player... all bets are off. But you'd have to put known-accurate analog video into the VCR (say from a video signal generator with analog video output capability) and own a laserdisc with accurate test patterns.

And in your case, the AVR would have to have separate grayscale calibration controls for each input. I've never seen that from an AVR, however (at least not so far). Otherwise, there's no way to do separate calibrations for separate source components with everything connected as you have them connected now.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #4 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM

Liked: 10
That Onkyo supports separate calibration settings for each input to the receiver, by the way.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 164
You'd want to do absolutely as much calibration as possible in the display it's self.

If you need to do per input tweaks in the reciever, then you can do that if need be.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page