Sharp AQUOS Quattron 52" 1080p 240Hz LED HDTV (LC-52LE832U) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, This is the TV I ordered and should be receiving it next week. First off, I hope I'm posting this in the right area as this stuff is kind of new to me so forgive me if this is the wrong area.

Anywho, It's VERY hard to find reviews on this set, I have no idea why but the little reviews I have found have been very good. Anyone else have this set? I purchased this from Futureshop and took advantage of a sale and nabbed it for just under $1,500. It's a 240Hz set as well at 52". I also paid for a professional calibration which I didn't even know existed but the guy told me I have to leave my TV on for 100 hours before he can start the process which he'll make an appointment for 30 days after pickup. From what I've read everywhere on the net television sets usually STINK out of the box so in the meantime I still want to get a half decent picture quality. Anyone have any calibration setting for this particular HDTV so I don't have to screw around for days trying to get a picture that's decent? It would be a HUGE help for me.

Also, If anyone has any impressions on this set I'd like to hear them as well. Right now I'm using a 32" Samsung 720 60Hz set so I can imagine this set would be an improvement at the very least.

Thanks for your time guys,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I just calibrated an 830U last night. It has potential- colors were beautiful after calibration. It's flaws are typical LED things like cloudy blacks and poor off axis performance.
I also reviewed the 732U here on AVS.
For a quick fix until calibration, "auto" mode is quite watchable.
Make sure you watch this set directly on axis.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks man,

So the 830U and 832U are pretty similar I take it? I live in a one bedroom apartment so it's not like I have a HUGE choice other than to be on axis lol. I have a couch placed about 6-7 feet away (I'm having this TV professionally mounted to my wall which will spin/turn) and another couch on the left hand side of my living space. Both couches together make an "L" shape. I was kinda worried about bleed-in and all that jazz since it is an edge-lit LED screen but from what I hear it's not too much of an issue with this TV. We'll see I suppose..

Long story short, even on the 830U the settings should match up with the 832U? Or is 830U just the series of 830's in general? If Auto mode looks half decent out of the box that would save me some hassle lol.

Thanks,
post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Well, I don't know for sure about all the models, but there's a strong family resemblance between the 830U and the 732U. Also, the 734U 240Hz model looks and calibrates nearly identically to the 120Hz 732U, depending on how you set the 240Hz processing.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #5 of 6 Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 226
In general, all similar models in a manufacturer's product line are the same TV under the hood. The only differences are software/firmware programming, circuit boards that have "missing" components not needed when a feature is not present, and maybe some minor cosmetic differences. That doesn't mean Sharp Quattron and non-Quattron models are essentially the same, but it does mean that all the Quattron models are essentially the same inside.

There's just not enough money in making and selling TVs to make 5 or 10 (or 30!) unique models that are really different products. As a manufacturer you MUST make your TVs relatively similar and differentiate them with content/features in very simple, low-cost ways.

The point being... what works for one Quattron model (from the same model year) will very likely work for another Quatrron of the same model year.

BUT - there's the inevitable issue that not every circuit board or power supply or panel is precisely identical to the next one on the production line... performance-wise. It is incredibly expensive to make 10,000 circuit boards that measure identically in every parameter (or panels or power supplies). The cost of TVs and profit margins simply won't support making every sub-assembly perfectly identical from a performance standpoint. That means that "identical" models won't have "identical" performance. And THAT means that you can't copy settings from one TV and get the same results with a different TV. And copying settings isn't "calibration".

You said your calibration is scheduled for for 30 days after the purchase/delivery... that's probably a good idea UNLESS your dealer has a longer exchange period. Many retail outlets will replace a defective TV within the first 30 days but SOME may have a 60 day or 90 day replacement policy. My recommendation is that you not have a calibration done until the replacement period has expired. Because if your TV is replaced, your calibration is gone and you'll have to pay (again) to calibrate the replacement TV.

The whole point of a professional calibration is to find the best settings for YOUR unit. You can't get that any other way. The TV will be adjusted to be as good as it can be made -- which may not be perfect. Different brands and models have different capabilities and limitations and different end results regarding how accurate the TV is after calibration.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA --
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #6 of 6 Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys!

I've purchased a 4 year warranty with the TV and with the calibration I get an extra free one with my retailer just in case something messes up. The guy broke me a deal and said he'll calibrate my TV for $100 because I got a package deal but my buddies keep on saying I got ripped off, who pays for a calibration and all this crap and meanwhile their HDTV's look like crap. lol

I'm already spending the money, might as well get it done right.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page