Any tips on the Sharp Elite? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
M probably going to be calibrating on in about a week and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it yet?

Picture without sound is surveillance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 347
There's a calibration guide PDF over on the ISF forum, if you have access there.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

There's a calibration guide PDF over on the ISF forum, if you have access there.

Is that the one that pertains only to the isf modes? If so it is also available on the THX site.

THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #4 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Okay I'll have to post this quick but later I'll post a full write up.

I took a first crack at calibrating the elite today.

First off I have real problems with how sharp service menu access works on all sharp TVs.

Good black level

CMS is still in sharp's format but the level if control is nothing short of amazing!

Since this was going to be a store demo I was shooting for a slightly brighter then home overall brightness

Bright: 30 something
Contrast: 80

Gamma was flat at every level. I went with a gamma of 2.0

Back light read at 40FtL

White balance was more of a problem... The 10 point was showing promise at first... But clipped very very bad at 60IRE!!!

Then I found that if you accidentally press back too many times on the remote you lose all your calibration work and need to start over.

This happened at about 10pm and I had been working since 9:30am do I threw in the towel.

I'll take another crack at it on Tuesday and plan to post some screen shots then.

Wish me luck.

post #5 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Wow, that sounds challenging. Did you have local dimming on while calibrating? Full fields or windows? I like full fields and/or LD off for LD sets.
Good luck, hope the next attempt goes better!

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #6 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

LD off
Windows
BTW menu navigation no linger affects the readings.

post #7 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Which mode did you cal? I did thx with reasonably good results. Gamut under 1.5dE. Wb 2pt worked ok but the 2 points did not reign in the other points as well as some other tv's. I found that the 10pt controls were not helpful. Gamma flat at 2.2. I did cal with ,local dimming on low. With it off, the panel looked about 25%.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

ISF day
10pt worked save for the 60ire
Above that it got wonky

As I said I was doing this for a show room and wanted it to still compete with the TVs in torch mode.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Stay out of isf for time being. Problem reported on another site that gamma flat until about 60 ire then drops. Fix being asked for from sharp. All other modes ok.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's funny as I had an almost perfectly smooth gamma with absolutely no spikes or extreme dips.

post #11 of 14 Old 09-21-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've posted this review previously on another forum but thought I'd post it here as well.

4 hours of calibrating and now taking my time writing this and wow!!!

Sharp's Elite TV is a major player. Very good black levels as many have stated before. 120Hz processing is smooth and relatively free of artifacts. The glossy finish on the screen virtually disappears when viewing content (a big + in my book).

As with most displays I turned the other enhancements and corrections off, noise reduction and the like

The CMS on the elite is spot on as was gamma control. I was calibrating this display for a retail location and so was forced to serve two masters in a manner of speaking. On the one hand I have an obligation to the store. Most of us know that a retail environment is not an ideal viewing condition to start with to add to that a this display will have to go toe to toe with the un-calibrated store demo mode displays to capture the lay consumers' attention; in short the TV must be bright and bold!

Next is my obligation to myself, my craft, and to set a true expectation to my potential customers. So they know what to expect when I come to calibrate a display for them. Often times I've been simply floored my customer expectations due to interactions at the store or from some half @$$ed Internet research. These misconceptions can range from people thinking- calibrations making SD content look like HD', to magic' TV repair, to the assumption that I am just going to adjust the color and contrast and call it a day. And don't forget my favorite... 'I don't know, the salesman just said I needed to get it calibrated'... needless to say I wanted this calibration to accurately Represent what I do and how good I am at it.

To accomplish this I needed to make this display bright like 40+ lamberts with a gamma above the dim room recommendation of 2.2. I settled on a gamma of 2.0

The new Elite is clearly a Sharp display, and like every other Sharp display I've ever encountered the hue on green and saturation on blue were off. Thanks to the elite's CMS control I was able to reign in these discrepancies with ease. I was able to get hue, saturation, and luminance all well within spec like .5% TOTAL variance across all primary and secondary colors.

Sharp utilizes 3 individual sets of control in their color management system' (CMS). Each of these sets offers adjustments to the sets primary and secondary colors, Red/Blue/Green & Cyan/Magenta/Yellow. They are as follows.

Hue:
Which slides the selected color towards one of it's neighboring colors, primary towards secondary and secondary to primary.

Saturation:
This is literally how much color is present in that color.

Value:
How intense the color is / or how bright it is.

The elite TV takes this control to a new level. Often times CMS controls on other TVs are inaccurate or offer limited or clunky manipulation of the color. The new Elite is truly a model of how a CMS should work! Saturation pushes and pulls color away from and towards white. Hue pivots the selected color clockwise/counter clockwise using white as the axis. Value raises and lowers the colors luminance (think of this as a vertical version of hue. Only instead of shifting the color you're changing it's luminance) again with white as the axis.

Now for the bad...
First as I said before I truly have issues with how one has to access Sharp's service menu. In my opinion any service menu that requires you to physically unplug the TV from the wall is a flawed system. This will particularly be a nuisance to any calibrators presented with this TV mounted over a fireplace.

Next, and understand I own an LCD and commonly recommend them to friends and family, this is still an LCD screen. Black levels are drastically affected by viewing angle. I would not hang this or any other LCD screen over a fireplace without a proper tilting mount or even an articulating one.

Last time I tried to wrangle this display I was thwarted buy an extremely bad anomaly at 60IRE. The screen literally was a milky yellow with all other levels of a waterfall pattern showing a good D65 balance. I once again encountered an issue with white balance; this time at 50IRE. I was able to figure out a work around of sorts. 10-40IRE controls worked just as expected then 60-90IRE functioned with controls from 50-80IRE on the set. Try as I might I could not reign in or even effect much of any change at 50IRE.

The 50IRE issue was unmistakable to the trained eye but fortunately giving me a blue error this time, and a much less pronounced error, so it was much less noticeable then if it had been a green or the same yellow error as before.

--
It is my understanding that we can expect a firmware update to come out soon and hopefully that corrects the errors in white balance I encountered. Also I am not going to discount that this could be an issue with this specific display. When the store puts out the 60 I'll test that theory. All and all I am quite impressed with the TV as a whole. The image was very stable with little or no fluctuation from my meter except at extremely low IRE (10/20) and around 50 where I encountered the flaw. Colors were spectacular and motion fluid but natural, defiantly an amazing display indeed and one that will challenge other manufacturers to rise to meet them. Is it worth the $$$$? Is it better or on par with the Kuro? Well that's not my place to say.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
No new info???

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #13 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Where can I get the calibration guides from ISF or THX for the Elite?

My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [
]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [
]
post #14 of 14 Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

No new info???

Missed this earlier but check Here

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page