Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
There is a very nice guy who has been posting in display threads recently. In his signature area he discloses that he works for BB or Magnolia, I don't recall which. We engaged in a PM discussion about some of BB's policies and training. All along, from reading many of his posts and from our PM discussion, I assumed he was a local Magnolia sales person who was very interested is his field. When our discussion ended and we agreed to disagree, he pointed out that he thought I just didn't like BB, and that I probably had figured out that he worked at corporate headquarters. He was wrong about both points. I dislike some of BB's policies, especially what they did to Magnolia after they purchased them, and I had no idea that he worked for corporate. redface.gif
post #93 of 113 Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

I have never heard of ANY ISF trained calibrator getting a patch from ISF when they complete the class...this must be a BB thing.

Just my $.02
RayJr

Must be, not sure wether the ISF hands it out, or wether GS corp give it out once ISF confirms you certified.
post #94 of 113 Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

Do you by any chance work for Magnolia?

RayJr
I have never heard of them, and have no idea of who they are and where they are, without googling them.
post #95 of 113 Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

How do you happen to know so much about BB's policy in regard to GS calibration? Some of what you know about BB policy seems to disagree with the information that BB provided to curiousdude in an earlier post -- thirty minutes to one hour calibration visits.

As a new member at AVS, and as a professional calibrator, you should take advantage of the opportunity to post your business contact information in the thread that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post. Also, if any of your customers are members here at AVS, have them post their comments about your work in the relevant owner's thread for their display model. If they or you let me know where their comments are posted, I'll be sure to include them in the "owner's comment" thread linked in my signature area. AVS is a good source of "word of mouth" comments about calibrators. biggrin.gif

P.S.; There is nothing wrong with encouraging customers that are not members to check out AVS. I've always assumed that anyone that would want to have their display professionally calibrated would also be interested in AVS.

Well, like I said in an earlier reply: "I don't work for GS, but know many GS guys in my line of work, and theres good and average tradesmen everywhere. GS are my competitors, but I choose to embrace them, talk to them and ultimately get on with them, as we are all working for the same goal. Life's too short for name calling. (Note I am not saying *you* are name calling, just saying in general)."

When we happen to be in the same coffee shop together, we shoot the breeze, exchange ideas, talk shop. Sure they are a competitor. But there's more than enough TV's in this world for everyone. I've known some for a while, and they all seem to be nice people with a passion for what they do. Maybe my town is an exception, I have no idea.

If I was a plumber, would I think any differently of other plumbers? Not really. All of us are working to the same goal, right? smile.gif Working in retail sales years ago, with competitors across the road, we would visit each other and have a laugh. Companies are companies, but people are still people.
post #96 of 113 Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:

A brand new member with an interest in calibrations done by BB which competes with him, thats interesting.

It would be interesting to know what an ISF certification stands for other than spending time in a weekend course and getting a badge to prove that you are someone was there. As far as I know, ISF does not certify any defined level of competence. That doesn't mean that the don't. It just means that in the years I've spent here at AVS, I haven't encountered anything suggesting a minimum level of competence required to achieve ISF certification.

After reading all of kiltedscotsman posts, it seems that he joined us this month for the sole purpose of defending his competitors at "BB/Geek Squad".

Admirable. rolleyes.gif

For the record, I'm not necessarily *defending* anyone. I give them the benefit of the doubt because I also would like the same done to me. Also, I believe that as a community, infighting, name calling and slandering isn't professional. I'm not saying anyone here does it, just a general point. I have worked in sales and marketing for over 33 years, buildings often opposite direct competitors. I never, ever slagged off the competition to customers, vendors or suppliers. You never know whom you are talking to, and at the end of the day, for what?

Runnng 2 video game shops in the UK and had Virgin and another competitor on the same street within 200m, it was a tough market. But I knew everyone, they knew me, and I was never too proud to call up a competitor to see if they had X or Y game in stock as we were sold out, because the CUSTOMER comes first, and I knew they did the same for me, so it was a wash at the end of the day.

What does ISF stand for? Well, without the ISF itself here defending itself, lets put some perspective. When I did my level 1+2 course, and then the written and oral exam (more a grilling) from Bob Fucci the ISF chairman, you do get certified, if you pass the test. (If Bob isn't available, apparently you talk to Joel Silver)

Now, not sure what it was like for other people doing ISF, maybe it's changed over the years. But when I did it, Bob himself rings you up on his dime all they way from Florida, and talks to you for an hour, and essentially keeps asking you questions until HE thinks you are ready to go out and do it in peoples homes. I must have talked to him 5 or 6 times, boy he sure is thorough.

You're right: " ISF does not certify any defined level of competence." It doesn't. In the same way that passing a driving test makes may or may not make you a good driver. The ISF teaches you how to drive. If you learn to drive, but you are still a lousy driver, that's the drivers, fault, not the examiner. Much in the same way that one can learn to drive and become a championship rally driver, you can also learn to drive and forget how to paralleled park.

True, it's no secret that the THX course concentrates more on consumer education, but then again, it's a $1600 (I originally put 5k, not sure why I thought it was that much haha but I was wrong so...) odd course in a city you usually can't get to. The ISF course is cheaper. Does that make it 'worse'? I don't think so.

To me, getting to talk to Bob Fucci (he really is a lovely guy to talk to) was an honour. The passion the man has for his trade is evident.

Maybe people could ask the ISF themselves, but I believe it isn't the ISF's job to police the 'drivers' it teaches. To expect it to do so I think is rather unfair. If one falls into bad calibration habits after getting ISF certified, blame oneself, not the teacher.

"A bad workman blames his tools."

*edit* Forgot to answer all of htwaits points. "Tired, my brain is."
post #97 of 113 Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedscotsman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

As a new member at AVS, and as a professional calibrator, you should take advantage of the opportunity to post your business contact information in the thread that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

Also, if any of your customers are members here at AVS, have them post their comments about your work in the relevant owner's thread for their display model. If they or you let me know where their comments are posted, I'll be sure to include them in the "owner's comment" thread linked in my signature area. AVS is a good source of "word of mouth" comments about calibrators.
biggrin.gif

P.S.; There is nothing wrong with encouraging customers that are not members to check out AVS. I've always assumed that anyone that would want to have their display professionally calibrated would also be interested in AVS.
When we happen to be in the same coffee shop together, we shoot the breeze, exchange ideas, talk shop.
You should take advantage of the AVS suggestions I made about getting your customers to post here and getting your contact information into the "Calibrator Location" thread. Give it a try. It's free. smile.gif
post #98 of 113 Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

$5000 for a THX course ... that's news to me ...

$1999 for the course ... off by $3001 ...

The difference between the ISF and the THX programs is a bit more than the $200 that separates the cost of the classes. The philosophy is different, the amount of gear in the class is different, the amount of hands on time is different, the oversight of calibrators is different ... the instructors are different. Someone recently described the THX class as the get your hands dirty class while the ISF class was the grey poupon class.

THX certifies people ... and those that pass are listed on the THX site. Go to the ISF site to look for names of the BB calibrators and you find nothing but a bunch of store locations. so again, how do we know who gets sent to the people's homes. The ISF site is no help here.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #99 of 113 Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I believe it isn't the ISF's job to police the 'drivers' it teaches. To expect it to do so I think is rather unfair. If one falls into bad calibration habits after getting ISF certified, blame oneself, not the teacher.
Are you implying that an inexperienced BB employee coming out of a BB run ISF class has good habits that might be lost over time? smile.gif

I've never taken any sort of calibration class and I'm not a "do it yourself calibrator". I assume that a beginner, coming out of an ISF short course would be ready to start learning a craft. Everything I know about driving tests indicates that there has to be a level of competence demonstrated before one gets a license to drive. At least I've done that. If it exists, I don't know of any such requirement before one receives a certificate indicating which ISF class was completed.

Someone, maybe in another thread, made the observation that we hear from dissatisfied customers a lot more frequently than happy customers. In general that seems to be true. In the case of owners who write about their experiences having their displays professionally calibrated it seems to be the reverse. If you read the posts that have links in the thread that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post, you will be bored out of your mind. eek.gif

One explanation for that amazing approval rate here at AVS might be what Chad B wrote about how he conducts his calibration sessions. Chad's approach to his customers exactly matches what I've observed from the AVS related calibrators that I've met or had the pleasure to watch work.

Since I started the thread August 19, 2006, there has been only one mad as hell customer. In fact I devoted the third reserved post to him. The only thing it takes to get a report into the thread is the AVS user name of the calibrator that did the work. Because the BB calibrators are anonymous at AVS I had never linked to any posts about them. Recently I changed my mind and started a list of links to posts about BB calibrations. That list is at the top of post number two which is dedicated to flat panel displays. The discussion in this thread has been so interesting to me that I've put it's link into the list too. smile.gif
post #100 of 113 Old 03-22-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

$5000 for a THX course ... that's news to me ...

$1999 for the course ... off by $3001 ...

The difference between the ISF and the THX programs is a bit more than the $200 that separates the cost of the classes. The philosophy is different, the amount of gear in the class is different, the amount of hands on time is different, the oversight of calibrators is different ... the instructors are different. Someone recently described the THX class as the get your hands dirty class while the ISF class was the grey poupon class.

THX certifies people ... and those that pass are listed on the THX site. Go to the ISF site to look for names of the BB calibrators and you find nothing but a bunch of store locations. so again, how do we know who gets sent to the people's homes. The ISF site is no help here.

Regards
Michael, I stand corrected, I was way off, In fact a quick look at the thx site gives me a cost of $1600, so even cheaper. Not sure why I had the figure of 5 grand in my head, must have been confusing it with something else. redface.gif

Anyway, the next ones on the calendar is in Germany and China, so I suppose, if one was to be pedantic, including the cost of flight and hotel, quick expedia search gives me about $1600, plus a car, and I am probably looking at about 3 grand wallet damage, but still 2 grand off my 5k loony moment figure. biggrin.gif Going from the reason why there isn't individual people listed for ISF folks on the site as far as GS is concerned, we can only speculate, but I would assume it logical that a company that size would have folk coming and going all the time, promoted, changing jobs, moving cities, mat/pat leave blah blah, so I am betting it's logistical more than anything.

Also, as far as I can gather, the ISF just doesn't have the resources the THX organisation has. I would be interested to know who has the most employees, ISF or THX? ISF has Bob Fucci, Joel Silver and some others listed on the site. How many does THX have, and how big a building is it?

For the record, when I did the ISF thing, the whole class did get hands on with equipment. But then again, it was familiar to me anyway, as I had been previously playing around with the software and equipment of my own as a hobby for the few years prior.
post #101 of 113 Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:

You should take advantage of the AVS suggestions I made about getting your customers to post here and getting your contact information into the "Calibrator Location" thread. Give it a try. It's free. smile.gif
I'd love to, but I am very wary of posting my personal information online. My FB profile is locked down as it is, and any other 'online presence' is nil, am invisible to google searches and I like it that way.

Being a Brit, maybe it's a cultural thing, but in general we are very private people. smile.gif
post #102 of 113 Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:

Are you implying that an inexperienced BB employee coming out of a BB run ISF class has good habits that might be lost over time? smile.gif

I've never taken any sort of calibration class and I'm not a "do it yourself calibrator". I assume that a beginner, coming out of an ISF short course would be ready to start learning a craft. Everything I know about driving tests indicates that there has to be a level of competence demonstrated before one gets a license to drive. At least I've done that. If it exists, I don't know of any such requirement before one receives a certificate indicating which ISF class was completed.

Someone, maybe in another thread, made the observation that we hear from dissatisfied customers a lot more frequently than happy customers. In general that seems to be true...

"Are you implying that an inexperienced BB employee coming out of a BB run ISF class has good habits that might be lost over time? smile.gif "

Nope! But I am outright saying that *anyone* who does a course, be it thx/isf can be good bad or indifferent, and can be lost over time. People are only human. I have generally found, with the GS guys I talk to, they all actually *wanted* to get into it, and enjoy it. Are they competition? Yes. Does that bother me? No. Theres more than enough tellys to go around. Do I think that if they make mistakes, they are doing it on purpose? No. I think we have to give human beings more credit than that.

"Someone, maybe in another thread, made the observation that we hear from dissatisfied customers a lot more frequently than happy customers. In general that seems to be true." That was probably me, I mean...the squeeky wheel gets the grease. The opposite is true. My Grandma used to say, "the more you do for people, the less thanks you get".

The angry punter in the big box shop raging at the minimum wage sales guy gets the most attention.

"...that there has to be a level of competence demonstrated before one gets a license to drive... I don't know of any such requirement before one receives a certificate indicating which ISF class was completed. " Yep, there is. I had to do a written exam, send it to Bob Fucci and Joel Silver, then I had to talk with Bob for an hour, over and over until he was satisfied that I knew my stuff. Let me tell you, Bob sure doesn't let you off lightly.

Maybe the driving test was a clumsy analogy. Perhaps, I dunno, more like a course at university, where you have a written test, say, in chemistry. The written exams demonstrate that you understand chemistry. You go out in the world knowing how chemistry works, but it doesn't teach you how to make polymers. You have to apply the theory to practice. This is true in so many lines of work:

Marketing, Sales, Accountants, Textile technology bla bla. So why isn't ISF doing a whole other class of over and over practical lessons until you can do it blindfolded? I have no idea. Maybe one should ask them. Why don't accountants or marketing degree graduates have to demonstrate that they can do sums and come up with 50 marketing slogans before they can get work? Maybe they should?
post #103 of 113 Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Personally I get all types of customers.

Quote:

GS are my competitors

Quote:

I'd love to, but I am very wary of posting my personal information online. My FB profile is locked down as it is, and any other 'online presence' is nil, am invisible to google searches and I like it that way.

Being a Brit, maybe it's a cultural thing, but in general we are very private people. smile.gif

This GS thing is really not the important part here....what is really important is.....how are you getting "all types of customers" with out putting your information out there.."Advertising"?

This is MARKETING GENIUS...Please do tell.

RayJr
post #104 of 113 Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

The THX class is broken up into two parts. Level 1 - $599 and Level 2 - $1599. Taken together, the cost is $1999. If a person already has ISF under their belt, the cost for Level 1 is waived, although they must still attend the class. No one has been able to demonstrate to us yet that they can should be able to skip the Level 1 class.

Classes are offered both domestically and internationally. While the next classes are overseas, private classes are available domestically. It is no harder to fly to Calgary or Maine then to Orlando or Minneapolis.

Not listed on the ISF site? you are now just making excuses for them. It isn't that hard to add a name onto a website. Takes seconds. Add 50 names .. takes 30 min ... an hour ... 80% of the names listed on the site may no longer be active in the industry and they are still there.

What does the size of the office building have to do with anything?

Just making this stuff up along the way.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #105 of 113 Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

How can you be that private and run a business? A business web site and a business email address don't need to compromise your personal security. When you joined AVS you compromised your personal privacy to anyone with the skill and motivation to find you. Now we are getting into my field of experience. wink.gif
post #106 of 113 Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

But I am outright saying that *anyone* who does a course, be it thx/isf can be good bad or indifferent, and can be lost over time.
I can't think of any reason to disagree with your statement. I don't think it's relevant to a discussion of the overall competence of BB's calibrators who probably come and go at a fairly high rate.
Quote:
People are only human. I have generally found, with the GS guys I talk to, they all actually *wanted* to get into it, and enjoy it.
I'm sure they did want to get into it. I have this image, that you've created in my mind, of a pleasant little coffee shop full of you and BB calibrators talking about the meaning of life at BB.
Quote:
Are they competition? Yes. Does that bother me? No. Theres more than enough tellys to go around. Do I think that if they make mistakes, they are doing it on purpose? No. I think we have to give human beings more credit than that.
OK. You run a business that can be found only through word of mouth, and there are so many people with "tellys" in your neighborhood, with owners seeking calibrations, that it keeps you and some unknown number of BB calibrators busy -- except for the time you spend together in a local coffee shop.

If anyone has even hinted that BB calibrators mess up their customer's calibrations on purpose, I agree that they are mistaken. I can believe that BB calibrators could do poor work because of management pressure or lack of interest and lack of continued training. The whole story of how Magnolia Audio-Video was purchased by BB, and then obliterated by corporate BB policy, makes it easy for me to understand how they could take a good idea and mess it up. wink.gif
post #107 of 113 Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Not to kill the back and forth here, but just to reply to the thread topic, my "experience" was terrible with BB calibration. I put experience in quotes because unfortunately I was not around at the time of the calibration, I only got the see the end results. However, I did ask my roommate to ask a couple questions which I wrote down and also time the calibration. Long story short, the calibration was approx 50 minutes and looked horrible. I'll stick with THX Brightroom in the mean time.

STORY:
I have a 65" VT50, which was calibrated by I believe Blaine was his name, from Cedar Rapids, IA (my apologies if I'm breaking rules posting his name). First thing I had my roommate ask is if he could unlock the ISF-Night/Day modes. He said those modes don't exist on this tv. The other questions I had asked were basic things like will you calibrate 2pt or 10pt wb and a request to calibrate to 2.2 gamma (not 2.3/2.4 as i like it a little brighter since my room isnt close to pitch black even at night). Apparently the whole time he was raving about how great the THX presets looked and basically made it sound like he wasn't going to get a setting as good as those. Whether that was an assumption on my end or what he may have meant, it was the reality none the less. He crapilated custom mode and basically colors on the screen were dead, seemed lifeless, people looked like zombies. Blacks were a definite grey even in the brightness of my room. Image was flat, etc. IIRC (i reset the settings) brightness was jacked up to like a 78 and contrast down to a 72ish. I've never seen anyone put the brightness setting above the contrast level (numerically) on a panny TV, nor any tv for that matter. Total calibration time between arrival and leaving was approx 50min. Before he had left, I made specific instructions to ask for a copy of the calibration results. I wanted to compare his results with THX preset results and others calibration results. He claimed he would email both myself and my roommate the results (he wrote down our emails), but said first they had to be submitted through corporate. We still have not received the email, nor do we intend to.

Basically, my suggestion with best buys calibration would be to only get it done if it's FREE like mine was and don't take any special time off of work for it. They'll probably be awhile out before it gets done also. I had to wait over a month (my tv was already 2 months old when I made the phone call, so the break in time they require did not cause the delay). It's waaay too big of a hit or miss service to risk losing $250 over.

post #108 of 113 Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Not to kill the back and forth here, but just to reply to the thread topic, my "experience" was terrible with BB calibration. I put experience in quotes because unfortunately I was not around at the time of the calibration, I only got the see the end results. However, I did ask my roommate to ask a couple questions which I wrote down and also time the calibration. Long story short, the calibration was approx 50 minutes and looked horrible. I'll stick with THX Brightroom in the mean time.

STORY:
I have a 65" VT50, which was calibrated by I believe Blaine was his name, from Cedar Rapids, IA (my apologies if I'm breaking rules posting his name). First thing I had my roommate ask is if he could unlock the ISF-Night/Day modes. He said those modes don't exist on this tv. The other questions I had asked were basic things like will you calibrate 2pt or 10pt wb and a request to calibrate to 2.2 gamma (not 2.3/2.4 as i like it a little brighter since my room isnt close to pitch black even at night). Apparently the whole time he was raving about how great the THX presets looked and basically made it sound like he wasn't going to get a setting as good as those. Whether that was an assumption on my end or what he may have meant, it was the reality none the less. He crapilated custom mode and basically colors on the screen were dead, seemed lifeless, people looked like zombies. Blacks were a definite grey even in the brightness of my room. Image was flat, etc. IIRC (i reset the settings) brightness was jacked up to like a 78 and contrast down to a 72ish. I've never seen anyone put the brightness setting above the contrast level (numerically) on a panny TV, nor any tv for that matter. Total calibration time between arrival and leaving was approx 50min. Before he had left, I made specific instructions to ask for a copy of the calibration results. I wanted to compare his results with THX preset results and others calibration results. He claimed he would email both myself and my roommate the results (he wrote down our emails), but said first they had to be submitted through corporate. We still have not received the email, nor do we intend to.

Basically, my suggestion with best buys calibration would be to only get it done if it's FREE like mine was and don't take any special time off of work for it. They'll probably be awhile out before it gets done also. I had to wait over a month (my tv was already 2 months old when I made the phone call, so the break in time they require did not cause the delay). It's waaay too big of a hit or miss service to risk losing $250 over.

That is horrible, especially on a great set like the Vt50, did you complain to Best Buy that unacceptable.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #109 of 113 Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

No, I'm not really the complaining/confrontational type, but i'll rant on a forum. I basically expected a terrible outcome anyway after my research, I was just hoping to be one of the lucky "hits".

Another thing that he said that threw me off was about my blu-ray player(s). Now I don't think he's actually right on this as I got the vibe by what my roommate said and the results of the calibration that he is probably wrong, but I'm curious. He asked which bluray player i use in my setup, my PS3 or Panasonic DMP-BDT320. Now I know the PS3 is a great player, but I figured a player like the BDT320 would be easily be just as good as it nowadays. I also use the Panasonic because the PS3 cannot do 3D and 7.1 at the same time. He made a comment that the PS3 is a better player and I should use that. Any truth in this? Also to note, my PS3 is the old original launch fatty.

post #110 of 113 Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:

No, I'm not really the complaining/confrontational type, but i'll rant on a forum. I basically expected a terrible outcome anyway after my research, I was just hoping to be one of the lucky "hits".

Another thing that he said that threw me off was about my blu-ray player(s). Now I don't think he's actually right on this as I got the vibe by what my roommate said and the results of the calibration that he is probably wrong, but I'm curious. He asked which bluray player i use in my setup, my PS3 or Panasonic DMP-BDT320. Now I know the PS3 is a great player, but I figured a player like the BDT320 would be easily be just as good as it nowadays. I also use the Panasonic because the PS3 cannot do 3D and 7.1 at the same time. He made a comment that the PS3 is a better player and I should use that. Any truth in this? Also to note, my PS3 is the old original launch fatty.

Not sure about that sorry

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #111 of 113 Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Not true. I have a fat PS3 and a BDT220. When I first got the 220 I thought it produced a better picture than the PS3. Now I'm fairly certain there's no visible difference. (There may be in terms of upscaling but I never watch DVDs.) Once in a while I'll have to use the PS3 if I come across a disc that the 220 won't play for some reason (dirt, scratches). The PS3 is able to power through anything. Usually I use the 220 though, primarily because of convenience I guess.

Based on my experience, in terms of picture quality when playing BDs, they're the same.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #112 of 113 Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

It's impossible to exaggerate how wrong this GS person is. Try this. Go to any of the OPPO Blu-ray threads and ask the same question about Blu-ray performance. Any of the Beta testers that are active there will tell you that any difference between the ($500 - $1,200) OPPO players and those in the $100 and up range is very hard to see even if your display has been calibrated by one of the very good calibrators active here at AVS. To justify the difference in price, other OPPO characteristics have to be important.

All a Blu-ray player has to do is translate the data on a Blu-ray movie sourced (1080p) disk and send it on via HDMI to the display. There are some cheaper players that introduce minor errors, but they are very hard to detect with normal source material. I enjoy our OPPO, but that's not why I bought it and the other two OPPO players that preceded it. biggrin.gif

Willieconway's experience is clear indication of the same conclusion. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #113 of 113 Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

It's impossible to exaggerate how wrong this GS person is. Try this. Go to any of the OPPO Blu-ray threads and ask the same question about Blu-ray performance. Any of the Beta testers that are active there will tell you that any difference between the ($500 - $1,200) OPPO players and those in the $100 and up range is very hard to see even if your display has been calibrated by one of the very good calibrators active here at AVS. To justify the difference in price, other OPPO characteristics have to be important.

All a Blu-ray player has to do is translate the data on a Blu-ray movie sourced (1080p) disk and send it on via HDMI to the display. There are some cheaper players that introduce minor errors, but they are very hard to detect with normal source material. I enjoy our OPPO, but that's not why I bought it and the other two OPPO players that preceded it. biggrin.gif

Willieconway's experience is clear indication of the same conclusion. Enjoy. smile.gif

I think it has been demonstrated that the PS3 produce pretty zro dE color and greyscaleclose to zero error not something that could be said about a lot of others that were looked at. Even the OPPO I have read was not perfect as a sgnal generator. The Panasonic 220 and 210 have also been shown to produce virtually perfect ouptut.

Just another blank signature.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page