$600 budget. What Cal package would you choose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got a new sammy 59D8000 plasma that has a whole 2 hrs on it. I'm going to leave it alone until i get about 100 hours on it. I figure with that much time, i should have the proper calibration package in my hands.

If you were to choose an entry level cal system for $600, what direction would you go and why?

I know between Calman and Chromapure are the favs, but i'm having a hard time deciding.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 323
For $575 you can get ChromaPure with the Display 3 "Pro" meter. The D3 is fast, reads very dark levels, and with the included offsets is quite accurate with a wide variety of displays. The software is well laid out and relatively easy to learn.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

for $575 you can get chromapure with the display 3 "pro" meter. The d3 is fast, reads very dark levels, and with the included offsets is quite accurate with a wide variety of displays. The software is well laid out and relatively easy to learn.

+1
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
ChromaPure and D3 Pro, I could not agree more!

I have a Chroma5 Pro but the D3 Pro blows it away. The speed, stability and lowlight handling of the D3 Pro is very impressive. ChromaPure is a beginner's delight due to the simple interface but it also has tremendous depth.

Hook it up to a Radiance or a DUO at some point and you have pure magic with the auto-calibration feature. It is all Tom ever promised and then some.

I know I rant a lot, but one the D3 Pro and ChromaPure I have nothing but raves. What is exciting is that ChromaPure gets better all the time and it still keeps its clean simple interface.

The money I have spent on ChromaPure Pro, the D3 Pro and the DUO are the very best video investments I have ever made..... and believe me I have spent (wasted) a lot of money over the years. It took awhile for all this to come together but it has and I am very happy. I am also finally really happy with my display. It now does what I hoped.

It was Tom's early assesment and understanding of just what the DUO was and could be that got me to buy one. The DUO took a long time for the firmware to mature. Tom's auto-calibration support took longer than the early estimates but that is software. He was right and he can be counted on. The maturity of ChromaPure and the D3 Pro as a low cost system is just a fantastic value. It works and works well. It will not leave you frustrated.

The great part is this stuff is already insanely great for the money and ChromaPure is a work or art in progress. If Tom adds a little PC monitor support along the way I can't imagine what would make me buy any version of Cal-Man.

Just another blank signature.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 AM

Liked: 20
Venomous. Send me an email and I will send you the juicy details, actually its a bit less than the price quoted.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Thanks for your input guys, decision made. Mark, ill email you shortly.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page