VideoEq Lutbuilder & Calman figuring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I`m using an Home theatre PC, My projector has no CMS, its a chinese 1080p LED/LCD

I initially bought the x-rite i1display 3 retail using the i1profiler which improved the picture alot, but still not perfect.

In i1profiler i was unable to get a d65 calibration properly oftening leading the program to crash, the only result i got in i1profiler was by changing the d65 setting to projectors native white point. The problem is the white point is running blue.

I then got a Videoeq, then bought the spectracal oem I1display3 to use the automatic interactive feature with calman 4.

Loading up Interactive Videeq workflow, i did the measurements etc, then when i get to rgb interactive part and attempt to drag the white lines to the yellow bars, calman + videoeq begins and starts making the picture turn purple and peach.

Calman 4 assumes i have a projector CMS as it asks me to make adjustments to the display which sucks and cant seem to calibrate & move the white point correctly for the video eq.

I have the data collected from the calman readings, could an experienced videoeq enthusiast be able to plot the data for me with lutbuilder and get me calibrated?

current settings

i had tried power + video 16 -235 etc i was advised to give srgb a go, and pc levels.

I set automatic prompts for calman pattern generator

Here are the results of how the projector is at the moment.As you can see the white point is wey off

so from left to right i took greyscale readinga. At this point i have not dragged the bars

I bring up the calman pattern generator 90 grey onscreen then drag the 90 white bar to the yellow line.
The i1display3 & videoEQ make calman click noises adjusting the level and then the screen turns white to yellow to pinky peach.
I move on to 80, 70, drag the white bars to yellow line and the picture gets worse making artifacts.

Its been suggested to me to use a standalone bluray player etc which i dont have, so i tried the xbox 360 and played mp4 files of the calman windows tests but didnt make much difference, the only difference was the picture didnt turn purple/yellow until i got onto the 60 bar.

Turning to lutbuilder

Default screen of lutbuilder

On lutbuilder i attempting to move the white point into the yellow, it made the picture a little better after the adjustment. So saved to videoeq, and run calman to do a white reading , yet calman tells me the white point is still blue and looks as though it hasnt moved at all

How can i get the video gamut colors to look like the calman precal readings?
I cant understand why calman cant input into the videoeq with the current readings,so i have somwhere to start from.

The xrite profiler software was much cleverer than calman and video eq as at least the picture improved a little, but with this setup picture got steadily worse.

Would a Color enthsiast be able to plot the data coloums rows values into something i can input into videoeq.
All the measurments are here, hopefully someone clever can help me out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 174
What CalMAN license do you have?

You should be able to at least connect to the videoEQ inside calman and use the DDC controls there.

We also have an interactive add-on that allows you to simply drag and drop data in the charts and let CalMAN figure it out.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 68
What display type did you set in the meter settings page? A wrong selection here could skew your results.

Also note how far inside the gamut triangle plot Red is. If it is truly that badly out of spec, the VideoEQ may not be able to help you. It can help pull Green and Blue back to their corners, but can't push Red out that far without the chance of introducing severe color distortion, as you've already seen.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #4 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The projector gamut is pretty out of whack. It would be tough to dial in and even if you can get it close, I suspect if you measure at 25%, 50%, 75% saturation, it will might not be linear. Can you find out if the projector at least offer an option to dial in RGB cut/gain?
post #5 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

What CalMAN license do you have?

You should be able to at least connect to the videoEQ inside calman and use the DDC controls there.

We also have an interactive add-on that allows you to simply drag and drop data in the charts and let CalMAN figure it out.

I got the DIY (home) licence with interactive add on + meter add on tristim

Yeh i didnt know what DDC is, i`m new to the videoeq calman experience. Ive got the PDF calman manual from the website the manual is called "a practical guide to video calibration with calman V4"

Using PDF search within the document for DDC yieled no results.
So i searched for "direct Control" and there only one mention of it, which one sentence in the paragraph labelled step 11.

Documentation seems pretty thin.

Anyways so I searched on the web, and got some partial clues from various forums leading me to assume to load up standard interactive workflow

So here what do i do.the only thing i see to change/drag here is the box called HSL. i wouldnt know what to set here

It says if i click next it will update my videoeq, so should i quit after this page and load up lutbuilder, then load data from videoeq into lutbuilder perhaps?

i leave HSL untouched for now & move onto next page to see whats next...

There is box called RGB gives me options to change/drag the values. Once again i have no clue what to type or which setting to use, nothing else here seems to be draggable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

The projector gamut is pretty out of whack. It would be tough to dial in and even if you can get it close, I suspect if you measure at 25%, 50%, 75% saturation, it will might not be linear. Can you find out if the projector at least offer an option to dial in RGB cut/gain?

I dont think this projector has that option its pretty basic contrast brightness, saturation etc
Yeh its an ugly affair, anything better that what i have now is a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

What display type did you set in the meter settings page? A wrong selection here could skew your results.

Also note how far inside the gamut triangle plot Red is. If it is truly that badly out of spec, the VideoEQ may not be able to help you. It can help pull Green and Blue back to their corners, but can't push Red out that far without the chance of introducing severe color distortion, as you've already seen.

I selected LCD front projector facing screen.
That Red Hmm yeh game over?

SO is it game over? if its not gonna be near perfect then i should probably give up,

if a VideoEq with 1024 point calibration cant fix this, then maybe its time to stop... or am i being a dramatic noob...advice please?
post #6 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Set @ Defaults your Operating System Color Profile from Control Panel and run a grayscale+gamut run again.

Maybe something with your pc output is wrong.

Use a Bluray player with AVSHD Disk to see if you are getting better results.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ted I dont have a standalone bluray player, however i did use a different source. I put the AVSHD full 1080p mp4 files onto a usb disk and played the calman windows through my xbox 360 which can play DVD-HD

Here are the result from xbox 360 source

Going back to the Home Theatre PC, i decided on an alternative method and use the native white point .ICM file configuration from Xrite i1profiler i made previously, then go into the calman videoeq with a partially calibrated display.

here are the result for the i1profiler

Both the xbox and the xrite began to change to yellow, and peach/pink around the 60 - 70 ish

to give you an example of the x-rite iprofiler settings this is what i had before i purchased the videoEq and calman.
Heres some screenshots

Black chromacity is too chroma

A Lovely Girl

The i1profiler makes the picture seem redish/yellow, this is probably the peach/yellow issues thatthe calman 4 + video eq cant handle when it does its calibration
post #8 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Is there any other picture mode you can select such as dynamic, standard, warm, cinema etc? Try to do a reading for each mode and select one that had the closest to D65 color temp. If I'm not wrong, this is a LED projector using Epson LCD panel from China, right?
post #9 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk View Post

I got the DIY (home) licence with interactive add on + meter add on tristim

Yeh i didnt know what DDC is, i`m new to the videoeq calman experience. Ive got the PDF calman manual from the website the manual is called "a practical guide to video calibration with calman V4"

Using PDF search within the document for DDC yieled no results.
So i searched for "direct Control" and there only one mention of it, which one sentence in the paragraph labelled step 11.

Documentation seems pretty thin.

Anyways so I searched on the web, and got some partial clues from various forums leading me to assume to load up standard interactive workflow

So here what do i do.the only thing i see to change/drag here is the box called HSL. i wouldnt know what to set here

It says if i click next it will update my videoeq, so should i quit after this page and load up lutbuilder, then load data from videoeq into lutbuilder perhaps?

i leave HSL untouched for now & move onto next page to see whats next...

There is box called RGB gives me options to change/drag the values. Once again i have no clue what to type or which setting to use, nothing else here seems to be draggable.

I dont think this projector has that option its pretty basic contrast brightness, saturation etc
Yeh its an ugly affair, anything better that what i have now is a bonus.

I selected LCD front projector facing screen.
That Red Hmm yeh game over?

SO is it game over? if its not gonna be near perfect then i should probably give up,

if a VideoEq with 1024 point calibration cant fix this, then maybe its time to stop... or am i being a dramatic noob...advice please?

Another thing to consider is creating a custom gamut based on your projector's primaries. CalMAN allows you to do this, and it will calculate the right blend of your primaries to reach your desired whitepoint and will figure the correct secondary color locations in the process.

If you want to try this, change the video card to its default (pre-Profiler) profile first, and set the VideoEQ to Preset 1 (essentially a passthrough) to make sure you're getting an accurate undoctored read of the PJ's native primaries.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #10 of 26 Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

Is there any other picture mode you can select such as dynamic, standard, warm, cinema etc? Try to do a reading for each mode and select one that had the closest to D65 color temp. If I'm not wrong, this is a LED projector using Epson LCD panel from China, right?

Yes it has some different modes, such as dynamic, warm and cool etc, but it suxs as all it does is overide brightness contrast and saturation levels settings wih its own values i.e default is 50 brightness 50 contrast 50 saturation.
dynamic mode sets the same levels to 55 55 55 and overides the user setting.

Yeh its Chinese PJ called the CRE X1000 3led/3lcd it uses the epson D7 panels, Mstar chip+ luminus pt 120
i
Quote:

Another thing to consider is creating a custom gamut based on your projector's primaries. CalMAN allows you to do this, and it will calculate the right blend of your primaries to reach your desired whitepoint and will figure the correct secondary color locations in the process.

If you want to try this, change the video card to its default (pre-Profiler) profile first, and set the VideoEQ to Preset 1 (essentially a passthrough) to make sure you're getting an accurate undoctored read of the PJ's native primaries.

Thanks Roy, this was to be my next question

"How to configure it using native white point reading"

yes i reset the windows color ict file to default.
Ok so what now exactly?

1, press preset modes button on videEq
2. then load up Video Eq interactive workflow?
3. Take the calman windows readings etc
4 eventually it should take me to the screen below

*pic is recyled example, i`ll attempt the actual calibration when it gets dark here in a few hours

5 And then starting at 100 working left, drag the white lines to the yellow bar and let the video eq & calman do its interactive adjusting and now it will know to use the native white point instead?

Yeh i`m new to using calman 4 and videoEQ so let me know if this is what i need to do or choose another setting workflow or bring up someother function or setting i may have missed. thxs

SMJ
post #11 of 26 Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

I still have a half answered question been niggling away at me.

DDC direct control.

I`m a total novice with videoEq, however lutbuilder seems pretty good if i knew what to do.

1. How come if i drag the HSL values box, the dots on calman gamut dont move? do they move? perhaps i didnt drag the values far enough to see a change?
Just want to know if the dots within gamut on the above picture are supposed to move when adjusting HSL

2. When i click next, calman makes the adjustment and is supposed to write to the videoeq? so how come if i quit calman and load lutbuilder and read from the VideoEq the gamut triangle within Lutbuilder application looks untouched & doesnt match the same color scheme as the calman.

I.e the blue corner on the calman looks more prominant, whereas on lutbuilder the blue is tiny. green is also a different shade.

Perhaps it does change it, and maybe i didnt change the values in direct control enough to effect it?
post #12 of 26 Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still have a half answered question been niggling away at me.

DDC direct control.

I`m a total novice with videoEq, however lutbuilder seems pretty good if i knew what to do.

1. How come if i drag the HSL values box, the dots on calman gamut dont move? do they move? perhaps i didnt drag the values far enough to see a change?
Just want to know if the dots within gamut on the above picture are supposed to move when adjusting HSL

2. When i click next, calman makes the adjustment and is supposed to write to the videoeq? so how come if i quit calman and load lutbuilder and read from the VideoEq the gamut triangle within Lutbuilder application looks untouched & doesnt match the same color scheme as the calman.
I.e the blue corner on the calman looks more prominant, whereas on lutbuilder the blue is tiny. green is also a different shade.

Perhaps it does change it, and maybe i didnt change the values in direct control enough to effect it?

Note that above the HSL (and RGB values on the grayscale page) sliders, there's a gray check box. This is to send the "save" command to the VEQ, which won't update the values you put in until that's done. The Interactive routine knows when CalMAN's adjustment and autosave to the VEQ is done, but when you do it manually via DDC (HSL and RGB sliders), it has no idea when you're done, so it waits until you click the gray box.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #13 of 26 Old 10-20-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it has some different modes, such as dynamic, warm and cool etc, but it suxs as all it does is overide brightness contrast and saturation levels settings wih its own values i.e default is 50 brightness 50 contrast 50 saturation.
dynamic mode sets the same levels to 55 55 55 and overides the user setting.

Yeh its Chinese PJ called the CRE X1000 3led/3lcd it uses the epson D7 panels, Mstar chip+ luminus pt 120
i

Thanks Roy, this was to be my next question

"How to configure it using native white point reading"

yes i reset the windows color ict file to default.
Ok so what now exactly?

1, press preset modes button on videEq
2. then load up Video Eq interactive workflow?
3. Take the calman windows readings etc
4 eventually it should take me to the screen below

5 And then starting at 100 working left, drag the white lines to the yellow bar and let the video eq & calman do its interactive adjusting and now it will know to use the native white point instead?

Yeh i`m new to using calman 4 and videoEQ so let me know if this is what i need to do or choose another setting workflow or bring up someother function or setting i may have missed. thxs

SMJ

OK, to set up a custom gamut in CalMAN, set the video card profile and VEQ as I mentioned earlier. Use test patterns to set brightness, contrast, color and tint as you normally would.

Now open CalMAN. On the second page, when you see the "Create Profile" screen, click once anywhere under those words to bring up a narrow light blue box around it. Now go to the upper right corner and select the "Properties" tab. You should see a dropdown menu entitled "Chart Type". Select "Gamut Target Editor", and the Create Profile tool should become the Gamut Target Editor tool. Click the Persistent Gamut button, and a list of CalMAN's preset gamuts will appear. Select one that already uses your desired whitepoint (D65, for instance) so you don't have to bother with inputting those coordinates manually. Don't worry, you'll rename it to your chosen gamut name in a second. Click "Copy Gamut".

In the "Current Gamut" field below, you'll see the name of what will become your new gamut. Change this to whatever you want and that you will be able to remember next time you use CalMAN. Down close to the bottom, check "Prompt for Pattern Changes". When you're ready, click the "read" button for Red, then for Green, then for Blue, following the prompts. CalMAN will measure your primaries and calculate the correct target levels of red, green, and blue for the desired whitepoint and each secondary color. Good luck!

PS: To make things simpler since you're using an HTPC, you could just stick to the profile you've already built with I1Profiler. But try the CalMAN/VEQ combo as well and see which gives you better results.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #14 of 26 Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thxs Rolls-Royce for the clear instructions, i was able to get a better result.
Still need to play with the settings and try a few combos

Also managed get lutbuilder to read the calman configs of native white point reading and load into the VideoEq.
I can now see the new lutbuilder data.

Making progress,

SMJ
post #15 of 26 Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

The other night after rolls royce advice, i managed to figure it out, i`m not exactly sure what i did, but managed to make some progress.

I was very tired at the time, and managed to do the interactive grayscale (see below)

Things were going nicely, the grays were working themself out fast.
Then when i got to the next page i lost concentration towards the end of that section and accidently displayed blue when prompted for the yellow, messing up the calibration.

I was tired so stopped there, and shutdown calman.
Even though i had messed up i wanted to view the results in lutbuilder so ran it>> read from videoEQ and the data loaded nicely into the lutbuilder.

Q1. I saved using lutbuilder>> file save as, and then reset the videoeq.
Only when i went to import the file i had saved, i loaded it and there was nothing saved to write to the videoeq.
The graph from video eq was loaded into lutbuilder fine. How come lutbuilder didnt save?,

The next evening i was confident i knew what i was doing as the night before i managed to do greyscale first time.
Only, it didnt turn out so... and wasted that night unsure about what steps/ settings i had used the night previously.

Issues i need cleared up.

Q2 when making the gamut profile taking a white reading is the 1st step?
Or is it only the red, green blue that i need to read

Q3. In Video Eq Preset mode, once ive made the new gamut profile copy with the new white , red, green blue reading, do i need to switch the VideoEq into custom mode and press the custom button, or do i continue the calibration in preset mode?

Q4 in one of the grayscale sessions, i found that some of the white bars to yellow line were unmovable, leaving 3 out of 10 that could be dragged. It only happened once, but i`d like to know how to avoid that predicament. which mode had i accidently enabled?

Q5 Are there any prompts i can safely cancel?
i.e in gamut window, i dragged the red dot its box, and after a few prompts for red 75% it got very close to the box, but not quite, so i did the next prompt for red 75% and the dot moved the opposite way making the red 75% calman window nearly black.
Should i have canceled the prompt when the dot was close near the target? or should i have let it continue taking red 75% as black color in hope it corrects it self with more prompts?

the same question is for grayscale prompts also, as sometimes its takes too long and the bars barely move, yet it still prompts me for the same greyscale window.

Q6 Gamut luminance must be dragged to the zero line?
I presume it is, but wondered as the greyscale window makes you drag it to a yellow line, so i expect to see a yellow line to drag for gamut luminance.
post #16 of 26 Old 10-22-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Issues i need cleared up.

Q3. In Video Eq Preset mode, once ive made the new gamut profile copy with the new white , red, green blue reading, do i need to switch the VideoEq into custom mode and press the custom button, or do i continue the calibration in preset mode?

Q4 in one of the grayscale sessions, i found that some of the white bars to yellow line were unmovable, leaving 3 out of 10 that could be dragged. It only happened once, but i`d like to know how to avoid that predicament. which mode had i accidently enabled?

i.e in gamut window, i dragged the red dot its box, and after a few prompts for red 75% it got very close to the box, but not quite, so i did the next prompt for red 75% and the dot moved the opposite way making the red 75% calman window nearly black.
Should i have canceled the prompt when the dot was close near the target? or should i have let it continue taking red 75% as black color in hope it corrects it self with more prompts?

the same question is for grayscale prompts also, as sometimes its takes too long and the bars barely move, yet it still prompts me for the same greyscale window.

I presume it is, but wondered as the greyscale window makes you drag it to a yellow line, so i expect to see a yellow line to drag for gamut luminance.

Looks like you're making progress!

Q2 It's been a while since I did a custom gamut, but if you use an existing gamut as your starting point like I suggested, you don't need to do a White reading, only for Red, Blue, and Green. After you make the profile, turn Prompts off so you don't have to keep clicking OK to do readings.

Q3 After creating the profile, switch the VideoEQ to the Custom slot you want to use before starting measurements. That way, you can do interactive grayscale/gamma and gamut (Presets don't have CMS).

Q4 I'm not sure what's going on there, honestly.

Q5 The Red going from light to dark is entirely normal. CalMAN starts high then goes low and uses those readings to narrow in on the correct settings. Turning off Prompts before starting the actual calibration will help keep things from becoming confusing. And sometimes it takes several minutes for a single color or grayscale point to be adjusted, so don't give up.

Q6 Gamut luminance should be dragged to the Zero line, yes. In the case of primaries, this is more critical than hue or saturation. I still like to get secondaries as close to zero as possible, but only after getting their hue correct.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #17 of 26 Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No you should leave the white point at D65.

Quote:

The custom gamut is only for setting the targets inside CalMAN, the videoEQ doesn't really know about this at all.

Quote:

Don't know why that would've happened. You can try disconnecting ant reconnecting to the videoEQ or setting the layout to a different number of datapoints and back.

Quote:

You can always hit cancel at any time.
I usually like to let the interactive get me close and then maybe fine tune the last few clicks by hand.

Quote:

Nope 0 is the right spot here.
It's just sort of an inconsistency here in that we don't draw the a target line since it's at 0.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #18 of 26 Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thxs to sotti & rolls royce for the instructions i`m able to get thru a calibration alot quicker now, tho still havent found sucess in getting good colors. I fear this chinese PJ is too out of whack to produce a good result. I`ll continue tinkering but i think you are correct about the red being too far off, as when doing the gamut window section when dragging the red into into box,the red was having a ping pong match for over 5 mins going from dark red to dark blue and couldnt correct itself, i had to hit cancel.

I`ll try a few other combos on htpc then atempt on the xbox again.
Otherwise i may have to wait till after xmas and send the PJ back to china & demand they sort the colours out on their poorly calibrated PJ.
post #19 of 26 Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I need to add a bit to simply cancel out when you try to oversaturate.

Their is simply nothing you can do to move your red any closer to rec709 red.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #20 of 26 Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thxs to sotti & rolls royce for the instructions i`m able to get thru a calibration alot quicker now, tho still havent found sucess in getting good colors. I fear this chinese PJ is too out of whack to produce a good result. I`ll continue tinkering but i think you are correct about the red being too far off, as when doing the gamut window section when dragging the red into into box,the red was having a ping pong match for over 5 mins going from dark red to dark blue and couldnt correct itself, i had to hit cancel.

I`ll try a few other combos on htpc then atempt on the xbox again.
Otherwise i may have to wait till after xmas and send the PJ back to china & demand they sort the colours out on their poorly calibrated PJ.

Are you using your new custom gamut when you calibrate? If not, you should be. In Settings, look in Options/Target Options at the Gamut Target drop-down list. If your custom gamut isn't there, it wasn't saved properly. If it is there, select it. You will see a new gamut triangle matching what was read for the primaries and what you speciied for the target whitepoint. This is what you should be adjusting to since it's so far off from the Rec 709 and 601 primaries.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #21 of 26 Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are you using your new custom gamut when you calibrate? If not, you should be. In Settings, look in Options/Target Options at the Gamut Target drop-down list. If your custom gamut isn't there, it wasn't saved properly. If it is there, select it. You will see a new gamut triangle matching what was read for the primaries and what you speciied for the target whitepoint. This is what you should be adjusting to since it's so far off from the Rec 709 and 601 primaries.

Yep i have that part figured out, i take red, green blue reading only leaving edit white point alone etc, and select the new gamut profile from the options menu etc

At this point i havent moved any white bars to the yellow line.

For 100, the white bar is already at the line so i leave it untouched. (in a previous session i tried to move the red bar to the line, but after a few calman noises the red didnt budge)

When i move the 90 white bar to yellow line, the colors for grey begin to turn cyan and the whites take on a peachy yellow colour.

(above) this is what it looks like after i have moved all the white bars to the yellow line.

As you can see the gamut above, this is the result of the greyscale calibration.In the picture i havent touched gamut luminance yet.

Ive spent alot of most evenings calibrating and have become used to the interface. However most attempts have led to this similar result.
The end result of this particular caibration leaves whites looking like a badly gone wrong spray tan leaving whites looking pumpkin.

i bring up the 75%`s
results are:

Green looking green gray
Blue is crimson red
cyan looking blue green
magenta looking plum purple
yellow looking grey yellow

The only occasion i saw the greyscale working gradually darkening the picture without distorting the colors for each bar was my 1st attempt, but think i took a white reading + red, green blue accidently
Even then i`m still unsure which settings i used and have been unable to replicate it so far.
post #22 of 26 Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you get the projector to D65 at all without using the VideoEQ? It makes the VEQ's job a lot easier if the display is first set to the desired whitepoint using its own controls.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #23 of 26 Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

1stly does anyone at spectracal speak chinese?

I sent CRE (whom manufacture my projector) an e-mail about how badly calbrated their defaults are, and sent them a picture of how far out the points are.

They replied:

I have showed the picture about gamut to our chief engineer , he is curious about the calibration equipment .

can you tell us the model no and the brand name of the equipment ?

Thank you so much . thanks for your good suggestion and e-valuation on helping us to go ahead.

This would be a great opportunity for spectracal to get in contact with them and advise them on calibrating their projectors.
Because i dont know how large their company is, i adviced them to get the c6 + calman package.

here is a the letter i replied with.

Hi Hans
The calibration equipment I am using is for PC computer + also available for mac, the software is called Calman 4 by spectracal. +the USB meter is called i1display pro which is used to take measurements. my meter is shown in the attachment
Calman software is used by home users + also professional calibrators worldwide
Here is description of the software http://store.spectracal.com/calman-overview
Their best priced meter which gives best accuracy is called the "C6" http://store.spectracal.com/calman-s...tracal-c6.html which i think would be ideal for your company. the link has the c6+calman software package.
It is very important to have the x1000 displaying the correct colors, if you can fix the colors & calibrate correctly the x1000 will have a perfect picture.
D65 HD Rec709 is the industry standard for HD colorspace

The primaries and the D65 white point of Rec. 709 are:
標準の光D65
x y z
R 0.6400 0.3300 0.0300
G 0.3000 0.6000 0.1000
B 0.1500 0.0600 0.7900
xn yn zn
White 0.3127 0.3290 0.3583

Xn=0.950450003147125; // xn/yn=0.3127/0.3290
Yn=1.00;

Zn=1.08891701698303; // zn/yn=0.3583/0.3290

chinese webpage http://homepage2.nifty.com/studio_AU...Color/cie.html
i`m not exactly sure on the technical aspect,hopefuly you can employ or get your technician to study into the subject.
Perhaps you can hire a Freelance professional calibrator for one afternoon to work with your technician.
Having the colors properly calibrated will give the perfect picture & improve your reputation for superior projector.
Please keep me upto date on this color issue.

I hope i explained it ok and is accurate, but really would be good to have someone explain to them about industry standard D65 HD rec 709

Cause i cant find the D65 setting on this at all! please help them so i can have a good calibrated projector, Amen.
post #24 of 26 Old 10-25-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

scratching my head to figure a way to get to 65k, i resorted to using powerstrip.

I had to experiment, for a few mins, dragged the temperature on the powerstrip bar down to 2400k and took a calman temperature reading with an acceptable 64.5 to 65k!

The only thing is that its made the screen light green yellowish.
Not sure what to do now... i may have to fix the yellow with powerstrip 1st before running a calman session.

The i1profiler cant help here as it overides powerstrip and resorts back to default before it takes its readings.
post #25 of 26 Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

scratching my head to figure a way to get to 65k, i resorted to using powerstrip.

I had to experiment, for a few mins, dragged the temperature on the powerstrip bar down to 2400k and took a calman temperature reading with an acceptable 64.5 to 65k!

The only thing is that its made the screen light green yellowish.
Not sure what to do now... i may have to fix the yellow with powerstrip 1st before running a calman session.

The i1profiler cant help here as it overides powerstrip and resorts back to default before it takes its readings.

Please don't get too hung up on a 6500 K reported color temp. 6500 K can range from magenta to green and still be 6500K. D65 is a particular color of white ( x and y coordinates of .3127, .3290 to be at D65).

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #26 of 26 Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Its not perfect but alot better that it was before!

I did the greyscale 100-0 and let the colors distort like they had been doing before to where the whites go orangey pumpkin then on the next page i did gamut luminancy reduced them all, then went back to the grayscale page and dragged the 100 white bar to the yellow line.

That trick fixed the whites, which gave a bright picture side effect. I decided to lower brightess on my display which fixed the greyscale and proceed to color gamut.

One of the previous problems i had was when moving the red, it could never get to the postion it was or near the target. So ignored red and only did green, blue, cyan, magenta.

Things were looking decent, until i moved the yellow, i couldnt exactly remember where the default yellow postion was so had to move back roughly where it had been in the green rather than towards its target.

Anyways the contast/brightness has improved on video picture,+ colors tho very slightly redish are looking more natrual.

This is best picture ive had so far.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page