To Calibrate or not Calibrate? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 95 Old 11-28-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, newbie here, I'm debating whether I should get my XBR55HX929 calibrated or not. I've read the benefits but I have to consider my budget. I found this local calibrator http://www.coastcalibration.com/ and I was wondering if you guys can give your opinion if he is legit just by looking at the site. The site says they currently have a $199 special but I don't know what kind of calibrating they will do. The 3D calibrating sales pitch part sounds enticing since I have a 3DTV.

What can I expect from a proper calibration? How long do they have to spend calibrating the TV? After calibrating the TV and I'm not satisfied, can I reset my TV back to it's factory settings myself? What's the worst thing the calibrator can do and what can I do to avoid or if i get a bad experience? Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

Hello, newbie here, I'm debating whether I should get my XBR55HX929 calibrated or not. I've read the benefits but I have to consider my budget. I found this local calibrator http://www.coastcalibration.com/ and I was wondering if you guys can give your opinion if he is legit just by looking at the site. The site says they currently have a $199 special but I don't know what kind of calibrating they will do. The 3D calibrating sales pitch part sounds enticing since I have a 3DTV.

What can I expect from a proper calibration? How long do they have to spend calibrating the TV? After calibrating the TV and I'm not satisfied, can I reset my TV back to it's factory settings myself? What's the worst thing the calibrator can do and what can I do to avoid or if i get a bad experience? Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A licensed ISF Calibrator will take between 3 /4 hours to calibrate 2 HDMI inputs Average Price east coast tri-state area 300 to 400 and when your calibrator is done and you don't like the settings they will adjust to your satisfaction. They as natural and true image with proper saturation of color not exactly what you would call pop most owners complain that the picture looks flat/dull.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #3 of 95 Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Greetings

Of course a Best Buy guy is an ISF calibrator too and they will take about 80 min to do the job since that is all the time they get.

This is not best buy of course, but there is no time limit on calibration by a professional.

A sony set like yours could easily be calibrated in under 30 min ... and the quality is exactly the same as someone that took 4 hours.

It can come down to what you want out of a calibration. Some will just do the job ... send you away ... and then presto chango ... it is done.

Others will take a long time to educate you through the entire process so you understand what it is they are doing and why they do what they do.

What do you want out of it? Answers you don't understand ... or answers that you do understand. It matters. Probably bet you will be getting answers ... but none of the explanations for that price point.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #4 of 95 Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Coast Calibration is great... no worries.

Nobody can tell you what to expect (I presume you mean in terns of what you'll see when the calibration is done). Different people are more or less tuned in to image accuracy and will be more or less impressed with the final result. What you get most from calibration is knowing that your display has been adjusted to be the most accurate than it can be. And some settings in your TV (like gamma) can't be set by eye... they need to be measured to see which one produces the most reasonable/correct end result.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #5 of 95 Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hello, newbie here, I'm debating whether I should get my XBR55HX929 calibrated or not. ...Thanks.

I'm not sure if I can put the link to my Web site in here, but here are a couple of things to think about (in my Blog):

------------------------------------
First of all, you’re here because you love home theater. So do I – that’s why I do this.

But I don’t want just any old home theater experience – I want it to be the best home theater experience I can get for my hard-earned bucks. It doesn’t mean it’s going to be the best home theater in the world, because I can’t afford the best equipment in the world.

So what does it mean? It means I want my equipment to be set up, adjusted, and working the way it needs to work to give me the best experience I can get with my equipment. I’m sure you do, too, or you wouldn’t be reading this, right?

How distracting is it to you to not be able to see something you know you should be able to see in the shadows, or see something that’s not quite the ‘right’ color you know it should be? If you’re anything like me, little things like that will snap you out of the home theater experience faster than a bucket of cold water thrown in your face while you’re asleep!

Now think about this: would it be worth the pennies per viewing hour that calibration costs if even ONE thing is corrected by calibration that wasn’t correct before like black level, white level, grayscale, color, tint, sharpness, picture size and aspect ratio, etc., so it wouldn’t annoy you ever again?

Well I’ve got really good news – professional calibration will correct ‘em all – and then some! A life saver for us picky, picky home theater enthusiasts, isn’t it? I think so.

Obviously, I can’t answer the question of whether professional video calibration is worth the expense for you. Only you can answer that one. Am I biased about the benefits of professional video calibration? Sure! But I wasn’t born that way – I had to see it for myself. :-)

--------------------------------------------------

The other experience I've had is that many Sony HDTV owners (my clients) have been very disappointed in the out of the box (OOB) performance of their TVs - UNTIL THEY HAD THEM CALIBRATED! After calibration they have a really terrific picture.

Just some food for thought. Hope it helps.

Best,
Greg

All High Def LLC

ISF Certified
THX Certified Professional Home Theater 2
post #6 of 95 Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
To answer this question for me it is yes. I have a used 720p projector that I spent $500 on which included a new lamp and remote. After lots of reading on this older model (2005-6) it was clear that it needed to be calibrated since the OB gray scale was not even close.
After almost 1000 hours of use I was finally able to get around to hiring someone to calibrate it. The image was MUCH better and the cost was $425.. Seems silly to spend just about as much on a calibration as the projector was worth doesn't it? It was worth every penny.
Now with 2000 hours on the projector I know it needs to be retweaked. It still looks wonderful, but from what I know about projectors and reading the forums it has changed and probably a lot.
Rather than pay someone, I have invested in a good quality meter and software and will preform the adjustments myself.. cost this time is MORE than the first but I will be able to do this every few hundred hours keeping my image fidelity accurate. Since the last calibration I have purchased a small flat panel display for the wife in her kitchen. This particular LG has full controls for ISF calibration so I will get to do that display as well.
So is it worth it.. depends on if you care to view to view the image as close to how it was meant to look.. Is it worth buying the tools.. not sure yet, mine have not arrived yet but I think I will really enjoy the new hobby!
post #7 of 95 Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:

What can you expect? Expect a more accurate picture, plus the documentation to demonstrate how your TV behaved prior to correction versus after. A "proper" service should also include explanations from the calibrator about what he is doing and why. The service should also include addressing issues relating to the entire video system. In other words, the calibrator should check your other connected signal source devices, as well as viewing environment conditions. This should all result in your understanding of video image quality to be more complete.

How long should it take? It depends on how your entire video system is composed and how readily you comprehend the calibrator's explanations.

You can reset your system after the service if you are not satisfied. Write down all the picture menu settings values prior to the work.

If your calibrator provided a "proper" service, there is no "worst thing" involved. An improper service might include rendering your TV inoperable, or any other thing imaginable.

Tips to avoid a bad experience would include demanding multiple references, and/or contracting with a well known and thoroughly proven company like Lion AV, etc.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #8 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I'm finally jumping the gun and getting my TV calibrated, this Saturday. It will take the calibrator about 2 to 3 hours and only charging me about $200 and no it's not from the Geek Squad, hehe. It's from that website I mentioned from my previous post. This is the first time I'm getting a TV of mine calibrated and hopefully it's worth it. Wish me luck!
post #9 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Question, after my TV is calibrated, do I still have to adjust the picture settings to my liking? Or does the calibrator will figure it our for me or will he just merely suggest a good picture settings?
post #10 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Question, after my TV is calibrated, do I still have to adjust the picture settings to my liking? Or does the calibrator will figure it our for me or will he just merely suggest a good picture settings?

No, you don't change your picture settings after a calibration. The final settings he arrives at should be ideal for your entire display chain and environment.
post #11 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

No, you don't change your picture settings after a calibration. The final settings he arrives at should be ideal for your entire display chain and environment.

Thank you for clearing that up.
post #12 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM

After calibration from a good calibrator your set should be as close to the proper specs as possible. It's up to you to decide whether or not you like it. A decent calibrator should ask you how you like the picture after he's done.

If you tell him it looks dull or whatever and you'd prefer it to be different he should be willing to tweek it to your preference.

If you don't like the proper calibration, I'd just copy the values over to another input or user setting and have him tweek one of them, that way you still have a reference picture setting. Who knows, it might grow on you after awhile?

If he's going to charge you for an additional input then I'd just copy them over and tweek the settings once the guy left.

post #13 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

There's no point paying $200 for a calibration then adjusting settings to your liking. You may as well save the $200 and adjust it now.

You may find that after calibration the image seems dull especially if your display is oversaturated by default, so don't be surprised. Once you've watched it for a while (at least give it a few days) then you'll find going back to the vivid factory settings looks bad. On the other hand, if your TV is fairly accurate to start with, then you may not notice huge changes (my newest TV was pretty close just put into 'Theatre mode' for example).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #14 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

What can you expect? Expect a more accurate picture, plus the documentation to demonstrate how your TV behaved prior to correction versus after.

I'm speaking from a small town, no great human video calibrator within 400 mile perspective, but can't you do this with a good VP? I know it's a much larger up front investment but can't you achieve great calibration by investing in a VP like the Lumagen Mini-3D?
post #15 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe2 View Post

I'm speaking from a small town, no great human video calibrator within 400 mile perspective, but can't you do this with a good VP? I know it's a much larger up front investment but can't you achieve great calibration by investing in a VP like the Lumagen Mini-3D?

You would still need the calibration equipment to get any results from the VP. The processor can fix color and gamma and grayscale but it has to have someone telling it what the target is and if it's correct. Autocalibration will get you there but that is a sizable equipment investment as well.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #16 of 95 Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe2 View Post

Not without a companion investment in the proper instruments that can verify the effect of changes made to the image by an outboard processor such as you describe. Calibration to video standards cannot be done by eye.
post #17 of 95 Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

So today I got my TV calibrated. The owner of the company is the one that actually calibrated my TV, an older gentleman who seems to have a lot of experience, ISF and THX certified even with the latest TV. He brought out his laptop, a small device, hooked it up on his laptop and then from the small device to the TV via HDMI. And then he stick another small instrument in the middle of the TV screen and then fired up a program from his computer. He basically had all this test patterns shown on the TV and monitor the results on his laptop. I thought he's going to go to Sony's service menu of the TV but he says it's not necessary.

He played with the picture settings and turned off the extra features except for Cinemotion and LED dimming, he said all the extra features are not needed. He spent a lot of time in the White Balance settings and then that's it. Let me tell you this, the settings he came up with is not what I expected. It's way off compared to what suggested here and even the CNET or HTM reviews suggested. I had some doubt on the picture setting he came up with, I thought it would give me a Vivid picture especially the White Balance settings, you would not believe the numbers he came up with those settings if I told you.

And so after he's done calibrating and I looked at the picture, I WAS SURPRISED. So far it looks good! It had the natural picture I'm looking for and at the same time it has that 'POP' I'm also looking for. It's not dull looking and not Vivid, just about right. I was happy with my previous settings before getting calibrated but I always felt like something is missing but this time it's like I found what I'm looking for.

I haven't tried playing video games yet but he says just copy over his settings and it'll be ok to use it. The 3D produces great picture also with his settings except of course for the backlight which you cannot change. No ghosting or crosstalk. So far everything's good, we'll see in a couple of days if anything changes, you may never know, I might like it now but tomorrow could be different. I wish I could share my calibrated picture settings with you but he asked me not to and it wouldn't make sense because even if you copy my settings, if your TV is not calibrated and with a different room environment, it would not produce the same result. And so I'm glad I got the TV calibrated and for me definitely worth it.
post #18 of 95 Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Any update on your set
post #19 of 95 Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamekiller View Post

Any update on your set

So far so good, my set is better than ever! I cannot believe the difference calibration makes on a TV. So I definitely say it's worth it.
post #20 of 95 Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 AM

Buy blu ray Disney WOW calibration disks for $35....Its not as good as a pro but nearly as good for a fraction of the price.
post #21 of 95 Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlong View Post

Buy blu ray Disney WOW calibration disks for $35....Its not as good as a pro but nearly as good for a fraction of the price.

I have and used the DVE calibration disk before my pro calibration and it's not even close. I was happy with my DVE calibration settings but the pro calibration is the best. The picture settings is pretty close between the two when it comes to the brightness, color, picture settings but when it comes to the White Balance settings of my TV, totally made a lot of difference. The calibration disks wasn't really able to help me figure out my White Balance settings and so until calibration discs can help you figure out the White Balance settings, I say go with pro-calibration. I'm happy I did the pro-calibration and it's definitely worth the $200 I paid for the pro-calibration, especially for a $3,000 TV.
post #22 of 95 Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:

I have and used the DVE calibration disk before my pro calibration and it's not even close. I was happy with my DVE calibration settings but the pro calibration is the best. The picture settings is pretty close between the two when it comes to the brightness, color, picture settings but when it comes to the White Balance settings of my TV, totally made a lot of difference. The calibration disks wasn't really able to help me figure out my White Balance settings and so until calibration discs can help you figure out the White Balance settings, I say go with pro-calibration. I'm happy I did the pro-calibration and it's definitely worth the $200 I paid for the pro-calibration, especially for a $3,000 TV.

Well I heard that Disney WOW (Worlds of Wonder) was better than DVE Essentials. Also Spears & Munsil is decent too although more complicated than Disney. The Disney brand has the highest average reviews on Amazon (4 1/2 stars).

I think people should try the HD calibration disks (prices range $20-$35) before blowing $200-$400 for a pro to come into your home.
post #23 of 95 Old 12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

In so far as setting up the basic controls such as brightness and contrast can make a marked difference if the display is poorly setup from the factory. So some owners may find that this level of adjustment gives enough of an improvement to satisfy them.

However, that's not to say that a full calibration won't give a further improvement and a disc (and eyes) alone can't help set gamma, greyscale and colour gamut. In particular I find that having gamma set properly really brings the best out of a display, so some kind of meter and software is required for this. There isn't a disc on the planet that would allow you to (correctly) adjust gamma without a calibration sensor and software.

post #24 of 95 Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

In so far as setting up the basic controls such as brightness and contrast can make a marked difference if the display is poorly setup from the factory. So some owners may find that this level of adjustment gives enough of an improvement to satisfy them.

However, that's not to say that a full calibration won't give a further improvement and a disc (and eyes) alone can't help set gamma, greyscale and colour gamut. In particular I find that having gamma set properly really brings the best out of a display, so some kind of meter and software is required for this. There isn't a disc on the planet that would allow you to (correctly) adjust gamma without a calibration sensor and software.

No one said that a calibrater couldn't fine tune it more...but is it worth the much higher costs. Considering one could get a "bad calibrater" and you end up not liking the picture anyway...OR...You have your tv a long time and need further "recalibrating" (and money spent) due to wear/usage...OR...You try a calibration disk...then try a ISF calibrater...then notice you dont even see a big difference in the end....

These are all posibilities.
post #25 of 95 Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

THX certified even with the latest TV

I dont think he was THX Video Certified.

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #26 of 95 Old 12-16-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No one said that a calibrater couldn't fine tune it more...but is it worth the much higher costs. Considering one could get a "bad calibrater" and you end up not liking the picture anyway...OR...You have your tv a long time and need further "recalibrating" (and money spent) due to wear/usage...OR...You try a calibration disk...then try a ISF calibrater...then notice you dont even see a big difference in the end....

These are all posibilities.

As I said, some users may be satisfied with just using a disc (and may as well make it the free AVS HD709 disc IMHO as it has basic patterns that I still use prior to performing a full recalibration even today). Fine, if that floats your boat and of course it saves you the money. There are lots of possibilities as you say, but speaking as someone who has calibrated all the displays in my house, it's obvious which I prefer. I can even compare a basic 'eyes and disc' only setting to my full 'perfect' version ( I even rented a more accurate probe for this) by using my processor's different memories and I know which I prefer. At some point if you try it then you can judge if it's worth it, but I admit it could be a leap of faith for some, but the OP seems happy enough after this expense.

I learnt to do calibrations myself from here and AVforums, renting a more accurate probe when I doubted the cheaper one I bought and feel it was worth it to me (as the OP has also posted from his professional calibration). As I said before I find that gamma is most important to me and even my cheap and less accurate (for greyscale and colour gamut) i1D2 does a decent job of measuring luminance so it's results for gamma can be trusted even now. For me just the gamma adjustment alone would be worth it as I can definately see the improvement; brighter scenes have the depth and don't look 'flat' and shadows have detail but not noise through gamma being set correctly...something you just can't do by eye. Of course as I'm more concerned with my projector's image this tends to need recalibrating more often than a TV would (which all seem to still be OK). This is where the DIY calibration wins out IMHO as I can recalibrate as and when I feel it's needed as the lamp ages.

post #27 of 95 Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Well I heard that Disney WOW (Worlds of Wonder) was better than DVE Essentials. Also Spears & Munsil is decent too although more complicated than Disney. The Disney brand has the highest average reviews on Amazon (4 1/2 stars).

I think people should try the HD calibration disks (prices range $20-$35) before blowing $200-$400 for a pro to come into your home.

Thinking that spending money on professional calibration is blowing the money, is not a popular opinion on AV Science Forums. This is not the AV Cheapskates-Don't-Know-Any-Better forums.

I've seen Amazon "reviewers" TRASH the video quality of a Blu-ray disc because they had their Sharpness control set to Max. Are those the sorts of opinions that are actually worth anything?

You just wasted $14 by paying more for WOW than Digital Video Essentials costs. They both do exactly the same thing. But DVE has more information about how HDTV works and more patterns that are useful for those who want to explore things beyond the basiscs... like the pixel phase pattern that's not present on WOW -- it shows whether the TV can really display all the detail in 1920x1080 images or not (many LCD products cannot). On Amazon, few "reviewers" (probably NONE) have used DVE, Spears & Munsil, and WOW so you're not going to get any opinions that actually matter. Nor are the reviewers knowledgeable about HDTV in general... they wouldn't know the difference between a good result and a non-good result. I'm not saying they wouldn't get a good result from WOW, I'm saying they wouldn't know the difference between a good result and one that's not good (unless the 'non good' result was pretty horrible).

Because this is AV Science you're going to get a lot of people here who actually know what they are talking about. These forums are a better source of useful information than Amazon reviews. You really don't want to use the opinions of people who aren't subject matter experts to help you make decisions about home theater in general or video displays or setup discs if you are at all serious about getting the most out of your home theater... which is the whole point of the existence of AV Science forums.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #28 of 95 Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

This is where the whole question gets dicey. As the pricing for displays has come down dramatically, the price of calibration might more wisely be invested in the next level up display. For example on a plasma, $300 more might take you to panel with a THX mode or it might take you up a size. I am not promoting THX mode. I am just saying the better panels often have deeper blacks, better out of the box calibrations and decidely better image quality.

No set is going to be perfect calibrated or not.. Personally I would have to calibrate if the controls to do so are accessible.. but for many consumers $300-$500 takes one a huge notch up in either display quality and or size. The better panel might produce a very nice image uncalibrated, better in a number of ways than a calibrated lesser display. At the very least it is an interesting thought exercise. As panel prices continue to dip $300 begins to make a big differetiation in what you are buying. If you already own it and like the look of a calibrated display then it is clearly worth it.

Projectors with UHP lamps are another issue, the calibration is pretty ephemeral.

Just another blank signature.
post #29 of 95 Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@doug...

+1...

lol... "av cheapskates-don't-know-any-better forums"... that was good...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #30 of 95 Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Thinking that spending money on professional calibration is blowing the money, is not a popular opinion on AV Science Forums.

You speak for the whole forum?? I'm sure a lot of people would like to hear about reasonable alternatives to having some ISF/THX or whatever overpriced pro come into your home and tell you what you should and shouldn't like.

Quote:

This is not the AV Cheapskates-Don't-Know-Any-Better forums.

Well this isn't the ISF "pump up your own profession" board either. Because people want to use other solid methods of calibrating their own displays (for a fraction of the price) doesn't make them cheapskates...it just makes them more smart and prudent with their money. BTW, I own a 55 inch VT30...that wouldn't seem to be a tv for a "cheapskate" now would it?

Quote:

I've seen Amazon "reviewers" TRASH the video quality of a Blu-ray disc because they had their Sharpness control set to Max. Are those the sorts of opinions that are actually worth anything?

I believe their opinions have value. Its up to the individual to determine which reviews carry more validity than others. Amazon reviewers help people make smarter decisions with their money

Quote:

You just wasted $14 by paying more for WOW than Digital Video Essentials costs. They both do exactly the same thing.

Better to waste $14 than HUNDREDS on a pro calibration that may or may not have a noticable affect in picture quality. Plus if you did any reading at all you'd realize the DVE and Disney do have differences.

Quote:

On Amazon, few "reviewers" (probably NONE) have used DVE, Spears & Munsil, and WOW

Wrong again...There are reviewers that have tried the different disks.

Quote:

so you're not going to get any opinions that actually matter. Nor are the reviewers knowledgeable about HDTV in general... they wouldn't know the difference between a good result and a non-good result.

People are not a ignorant as you'd like to believe. With the vast amount of information on the internet consumers are definately more educated and know what they want. Plus if it's like you say and they wouldnt know a good PQ from a bad one then what is the point of bring in some "pro" calibrater...they wouldnt know the difference anyway...correct?

Quote:

I'm not saying they wouldn't get a good result from WOW, I'm saying they wouldn't know the difference between a good result and one that's not good (unless the 'non good' result was pretty horrible).

You make my point for me. Most people probably wouldn't notice a difference between a Disney WOW calibration and a professional calibration...so why pay the extra hundreds??

I think people should try calibrations off the internet and/or get a calibration disk because ISF/THX calibraters seem overpriced and opinionated. I bet if you had ten "pros" come into your home and do a calibration you'd get ten different results...so what is the point? Then on top of it they'd probably tell you how wrong you are for your likes and dislikes because they are "professionals" and your opinion doesn't count. Well ((NEWS FLASH)) everyone has different tastes in what a PQ should look like...they arn't wrong for what they like!
Closed Thread Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page