The "Cool" Movie Mode "Technical Manipulation" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Greetings Calibration Colleagues,

I have tried the Warm1 and Warm2 color tones for the movie mode on my Samsung plasma. These tones were slightly too dark for my preferences. Also, standard mode didn't seem right and dynamic mode, a/k/a torch mode, was simply too bright.

Then I read in this forum that the movie mode can be brighten by simply changing the color tone to normal or cool.

I changed the tone to cool for my movie mode. If you are calibrating with a colorimeter, etc., RGB levels will be 90% for reds and 120% for blues, with green level at 100% as reference.

My settings, gamma graph, and rgb graph for my PN50B450 are as below:

movie mode
cell light 8
contrast 88
brightness 49
sharpness 20 [30 when blu ray adjusted to 1080i]
(per service manual, use 720p signal on a 720p pattern)
color 51
tint 51/49
Gamma 0
native color space
cuts Red 24 Green 25 Blue 41
Gain Red 34 Green 25 Blue 24
Screen Fit
All other enhancements off [edit note: make sure to maintain the same options when switching to cool tone. For example, changing to cool tone will change the black hdmi level to normal from low. You may have to change it back to low]

Target gamma is 2.4

The picture is slightly lighter and more pleasing.

As always,
Vincentfam

Attachment 229643

Attachment 229644
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
While you might find the picture brighter and more pleasing, using the term calibration for this would be incorrect. With a calibration you are after a reference standard, so that you see what is on the source material as it was intended to be seen. If you want to adjust it to your liking, then you should do that as the point of all of this is personal enjoyment, it's just incorrect to refer to something done this way as calibrated, when the graphs indicate it's really far off target.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

While you might find the picture brighter and more pleasing, using the term calibration for this would be incorrect. With a calibration you are after a reference standard, so that you see what is on the source material as it was intended to be seen. If you want to adjust it to your liking, then you should do that as the point of all of this is personal enjoyment, it's just incorrect to refer to something done this way as calibrated, when the graphs indicate it's really far off target.

Let's be clear. There is more than one "point of all of this." Please review the opening post in this "sticky" thread from above:
'Display Calibration: Root Fundamentals'
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021933
In the context of the video industry standards and practices, it is the authentic art or message that is to be presented for enjoyment, not some distorted version of it.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Dear Learned Colleagues,

I agree that I improperly use, and thus misused, the term calibration, of course after reviewing many online dictionaries. As a correction, I propose the following in lieu of the term calibration:

"I believe I have manipulated the picture quality initiated by the display manufacturer by use of an eye one display Lt colorimeter and hcfr software resulting in a picture that deviates from reference standards, which nonetheless provides a picture quality that is personally pleasing."

Perhaps I should have simply used the phrase "technical manipulation" rather than calibration, but "technical manipulation" is not a term of art used in this field either.

Thank you for your comments. They are appreciated.

As always,

Vincentfam
post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 172
A more appropriate way to put it would be this;

"I believe I have manipulated the picture quality initiated by the display manufacturer by use of an eye one display Lt colorimeter and hcfr software resulting in a grossly exaggerated picture that deviates from reference standards, which nonetheless provides a picture quality that is personally pleasing."

post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

touche, mon ami!

At the least, did my gamma graph look decent?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The proper way to me would be "I adjusted the settings how I like it, and here are graphs showing a massive blue push and a dE that is off the charts." It should also go in the owners thread for the TV model and not in the Calibration forum.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #8 of 8 Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

It should also go in the owners thread for the TV model and not in the Calibration forum.

Yes, that's where this post/thread belongs. Calibration is about getting as close to a reference standard as possible. This thread is about setting the white balance to a personal preference while still using a meter and calibration software.

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page