Audio Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I cannot seem to find a dedicated place here for Audio Calibration just like the Display Calibration. I'm a noob when it comes to it and I'm looking to hire professional audio calibrator, is there a particular certified people I should look for? Is there a website also to look for certified audio calibrator just like the ISF and THX sites? Sorry for posting in the wrong place , can somebody point me to the right direction? I'm looking for an audio calibrator in San Diego, California area. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HAA certifies people to do audio calibrations. You may find their website at homeacoustics.net/Home.asp
post #3 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

I cannot seem to find a dedicated place here for Audio Calibration just like the Display Calibration. I'm a noob when it comes to it and I'm looking to hire professional audio calibrator, is there a particular certified people I should look for? Is there a website also to look for certified audio calibrator just like the ISF and THX sites? Sorry for posting in the wrong place , can somebody point me to the right direction? I'm looking for an audio calibrator in San Diego, California area. Thank you.

Audio calibration is a lot more involved than that for video. For one thing, in video, you are (or should be) calibrating to defined standards, while in audio I'm not aware of any published standards. Also, in audio, there are more external factors that need to be taken into consideration than in video. In video, the color of the room and its lighting are things that must be taken into consideration. OTOH, in audio, the size and shape of the room, its floor covering or lack thereof, items in the room such as furniture and people, speaker position, number and size of doors and windows, etc., all impact the results.

Umr (Jeff Meier) here on the forum does the kind of calibration you seek, but he's not in SoCal. You may also want to check with forum member Rayjr. He's in Palmdale and is a certified Audyssey Pro installer but may be able to help you out regardless of your equipment.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #4 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all for the response, I will go check them out.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

Audio calibration is a lot more involved than that for video. For one thing, in video, you are (or should be) calibrating to defined standards, while in audio I'm not aware of any published standards. Also, in audio, there are more external factors that need to be taken into consideration than in video. In video, the color of the room and its lighting are things that must be taken into consideration. OTOH, in audio, the size and shape of the room, its floor covering or lack thereof, items in the room such as furniture and people, speaker position, number and size of doors and windows, etc., all impact the results.

Umr (Jeff Meier) here on the forum does the kind of calibration you seek, but he's not in SoCal. You may also want to check with forum member Rayjr. He's in Palmdale and is a certified Audyssey Pro installer but may be able to help you out regardless of your equipment.

I am in CA today and will be in SoCal again in February. I would run from Audyssey Pro if you want good sound.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I am in CA today and will be in SoCal again in February. I would run from Audyssey Pro if you want good sound.

Oops! I shoulda said, "not based in SoCal"...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I contacted my TV calibrator, didnt realize hes HAA certified also. He's been to my apartment and when I asked him if he can calibrate my A/V receiver and this is his response. "You should leave all the audio adjustments at factory default and allow the "auto calibrate" program to adjust the speaker array. Those do a very good job, and the space you have does not lend itself to true acoustic calibration because it doesn't have 4 walls. So the "auto calibrate" will do the best job of adjusting for that area."

I have a Sony STR-DN1020 A/V receiver and I did use the auto calibrate feature of the receiver and quite satisfied with the auto calibration but I'm just curious if I can get a better result from a professional calibration.

So UMR do you agree with my calibrator's assessment? I do live in a 1 bedroom apartment and what he said kinda made sense but what do I know, so before I set up appointment with you UMR let me know if you agree so I don't have to waste your time coming over to San Diego. Thanks
post #8 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My experience with auto calibration on Sony is poor. I redo them frequently. Other problems can also exist that these products will not resolve.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page