UN55D7000 - New to the game - Sorry if this is in the wrong section - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good evening,

I just purchased a UN55D7000 and need help calibrating the best quality picture. I'm mostly a live sports and movie guy. My living room is well lit with white walls. TV about 10 ft from couch.

I've read a bunch of threads about different approaches to this. Some look decent but are in movie mode and that seems to lack pop. I've also seen threads regarding setting night/day calibration. Is this a bad idea for a beginner? Can it brick my tv?

I have no other calibration equipment other than the internet and a pair of eyes. Any help with basic settings would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Also, what are the best manual 3D settings???

Thanks in advance,
Drew Miller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Download, burn and use the AVS 709 Disk to start with, you should see good results just getting your brightness and contrast set correctly.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiller357 View Post

Good evening,

I just purchased a UN55D7000 and need help calibrating the best quality picture. I'm mostly a live sports and movie guy. My living room is well lit with white walls. TV about 10 ft from couch.

I've read a bunch of threads about different approaches to this. Some look decent but are in movie mode and that seems to lack pop. I've also seen threads regarding setting night/day calibration. Is this a bad idea for a beginner? Can it brick my tv?

I have no other calibration equipment other than the internet and a pair of eyes. Any help with basic settings would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Also, what are the best manual 3D settings???

Thanks in advance,
Drew Miller

Welcome to the forum. What you seek is in another section of the forum titled: 'LCD Flat Panel Displays': http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=166 . Using the search function will help you find other owners of your make and model of TV. There usually is no shortage of folks eager to tell you what their picture settings are and how much they like how their TV looks.

You appear to be the victim of a wide spread persistent myth among home entertainment hobbyists. Copying settings is not display calibration. You were correct in suspecting you were in the wrong part of the forum. This "sticky" thread from the top of this section of the forum explains why:

'Sharing display menu settings?'
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906
Old 12-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for pointing out where to look for information here. I'm considering buying this TV also. But why would another area of the forum be different than here? The whole concept of a forum would seem to be a place to share discussion on such topics.

I would hate to think this is yet another forum with self appointed gestapo police.

There is way too much of that kind of exclusive cronyism on the net already!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX2011 View Post

Thanks for pointing out where to look for information here. I'm considering buying this TV also. But why would another area of the forum be different than here? The whole concept of a forum would seem to be a place to share discussion on such topics.

I would hate to think this is yet another forum with self appointed gestapo police.

It isn't cronyism at all. What this forum section is about is using tools to make your display as accurate as it can be. If that's what you want to do, you'll find plenty of help, unless the issue happens to be one that no one has run into before. Think of it like a home brewer's forum. Sure, chances are they know where to buy a cheap sixpack, but that isn't why they're there.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
the disney WOW disc is pretty darn good for a DIYer. its very intuitive and is very helpful. the avs709 disc is a little more advanced, but this forum is awesome for getting assistance if its needed.

welcome to the forums!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX2011 View Post

Please be aware of the topic headings for the various sub sections of this forum. They are subject titles to guide readers to the discussion areas that apply to specific subject matter. In a 'Farming' forum, all the sections would pertain to farming. However, if you want information about growing apples, wouldn't it be better to devote your attention and comments to the sub section titled 'Fruit?' You are in the right general forum about audio and video science, and the right section discussing display devices, but the wrong sub section about calibrating displays. Swapping picture menu setting values is not display calibration, regardless of what many may think or say to the contrary. Therefore, such discussion is best carried out in the sub section where fellow owners of a specific make and model of display engage in this behavior.

The fundamental purpose of the AV Science forum is for the sharing of information via public discussion. It's unusual here to be accused of brutal police tactics for simply correcting misunderstanding or guiding someone seeking information to the right location.

Please explain more fully what you meant by the term "exclusive cronyism." I'm not clear on what you are referring to.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Download, burn and use the AVS 709 Disk to start with, you should see good results just getting your brightness and contrast set correctly.

Wow, thanks for that info! This is the kind of practical information a person can use. I've downloaded and burned the disc. It really has a great video explaining things also without trying to "sell" anything under a ruse of providing helpful information. I don't have a TV that can benefit from it;s use as of yet, but will be purchasing one soon. so I am gathering helpful input before the purchase. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Please be aware of the topic headings for the various sub sections of this forum.

The fundamental purpose of the AV Science forum is for the sharing of information via public discussion. It's unusual here to be accused of brutal police tactics for simply correcting misunderstanding or guiding someone seeking information to the right location.

Please explain more fully what you meant by the term "exclusive cronyism." I'm not clear on what you are referring to.

Oh, I think you've explained and verified exactly what I wanted to know.

Tags
Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread