Calibrated Samsung LN46A850 - AVS Forum
Display Calibration > Calibrated Samsung LN46A850
avsform1's Avatar avsform1 07:28 PM 01-05-2012
Attached is a ChromaPure report calibration of a Samsung LN46A850. The Pre calibration was done with TV controls only Post was done with a DVDO DUO. Color calibration barely changed, thus the CMS on this set was spot on. I was surprised that the grayscale with the TV with only 2pt controls cleaned up so well. Grayscale with the DVDO had a significant change for 10%(not shown) 20 and 100%. Gamma was also improved. Note that the post was done with AutoCal. Also here prior to the calibration the Gamma across the scale was decent. I actually went in later and cleand up the gamma for 10, 20, 70, 80 and 90. Over all PQ was great with the TV controls, with the help of the DVDO it was even better. Movies Like Harry Potter, which are pretty dark, had very nice PQ after the calibration.
LL
LL
LL
LL

Lowry's Avatar Lowry 07:54 PM 01-05-2012
Very nice! The DVDOs are great processors. I did an autocal with one through CalMan before. They offer a lot of bang for the buck. Great job and glad it turned out good for you.


Lowry
avsform1's Avatar avsform1 09:08 PM 01-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowry View Post

Very nice! The DVDOs are great processors. I did an autocal with one through CalMan before. They offer a lot of bang for the buck. Great job and glad it turned out good for you.


Lowry

Thanks Lowry!
Yes they are nice VP's, wish I had one for all of the set. Wish I had one for every set I own. This hobby is getting very addictive as well as expensive! But seeing the after affects, it worth it!
Smackrabbit's Avatar Smackrabbit 09:09 PM 01-05-2012
What levels did you calibrate using the two point grayscale? I haven't used the DVDO but with the Lumagen Radiance I believe you are to target 30 and 100 instead of 30 and 80 to give the processor maximum flexibility with the grayscale. I ask since you mention there was a large dE at 100 to fix though I welcome anyone to correct me as I'm not 100% certain.
Michael TLV's Avatar Michael TLV 09:25 PM 01-05-2012
Greetings

If one figures they will use multi-point grayscale ... then 30/100 are usually the better places to start. Don't get that massive change in all the gamma values when you peg 100% to start out.

regards
avsform1's Avatar avsform1 09:29 PM 01-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

What levels did you calibrate using the two point grayscale? I haven't used the DVDO but with the Lumagen Radiance I believe you are to target 30 and 100 instead of 30 and 80 to give the processor maximum flexibility with the grayscale. I ask since you mention there was a large dE at 100 to fix though I welcome anyone to correct me as I'm not 100% certain.

I used 30 and 80% for the 2pt controls on the TV. The DVDO cleaned up 100% to 1.4. Pre DVDO calibration yielded a great picture!
avsform1's Avatar avsform1 07:20 PM 02-23-2012
Took you TLV and Smackrabitts advice. This time with a Radiance using 21pt grayscale> The PQ is "CRAZY" beautiful. Watch LROTR Return of the King, the seen where the Nazgul attacks Baramir after the defeat at Osgiliath and they are riding back to Minus Tirith, it is so clean the CG is so noticble!!! Also there were parts in the movie where there was very light rain show and other parts that had clouds, that I had never seen before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

I used 30 and 80% for the 2pt controls on the TV. The DVDO cleaned up 100% to 1.4. Pre DVDO calibration yielded a great picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

If one figures they will use multi-point grayscale ... then 30/100 are usually the better places to start. Don't get that massive change in all the gamma values when you peg 100% to start out.

regards


LL
LL
avsform1's Avatar avsform1 05:55 PM 03-01-2014
Revisited my LN46A850 with 2 years of experience. Or was it luck? I would say 10% luck and 90 percent tenacity. It would have to say it pays to keep reading and practicing. I was able to qet the results with out using any processor at all! It is now my over best luck display in the home. I thought about selling it and put the money towards something new, but after these results it will stay in my office for a very long time. I've never been able to get these kind of results with 2pt WB and CMS. I am not sure about the newer Samsungs (maybe series specific) with my old A850 Sammy the CMS is spot on.


Tags: Samsung Ln46a850 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Up
Mobile  Desktop