Calibration Settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sharp Aquos Quattron 920un and looking for calibration settings. I am considering purchasing a calibration kit as I want to get the best pic out of my screen but figured I'd reach out here first. I tried some that have already been posted in other forums but I'm not 100% satisfied. Settings for gaming, sports and bluray would be appreciated if anyone out there was able to get quality that blows them away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson_420 View Post

I have a Sharp Aquos Quattron 920un and looking for calibration settings. I am considering purchasing a calibration kit as I want to get the best pic out of my screen but figured I'd reach out here first. I tried some that have already been posted in other forums but I'm not 100% satisfied. Settings for gaming, sports and bluray would be appreciated if anyone out there was able to get quality that blows them away.

More helpful if you go to "Display Devices " main forum page; look for lcd displays.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Using another's calibration settings is hit and miss, as you've seen. The basic reason is that the mfr tolerances vary from tv to tv as well as the conditions under which the tv was calibrated. You're best to get a calibration disk such as AVD HD709, DVE, Spears and Munsil, etc and perform and Accurate Picture Adjustment yourself. It's not a calibration unless you use meters but it can result in a definite improvement in pq and close to an actual calibration.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Using another's calibration settings is hit and miss, as you've seen. The basic reason is that the mfr tolerances vary from tv to tv as well as the conditions under which the tv was calibrated. You're best to get a calibration disk such as AVD HD709, DVE, Spears and Munsil, etc and perform and Accurate Picture Adjustment yourself. It's not a calibration unless you use meters but it can result in a definite improvement in pq and close to an actual calibration.

Thanks for the timely response. Do you know anything about the Spyder 3tv calibration products? Seems like my only option is to do it myself which I would rather do than pay someone to come in and have to get someone in later on when I purchase another display.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topic moved to proper forum.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Thanks for the timely response. Do you know anything about the Spyder 3tv calibration products? Seems like my only option is to do it myself which I would rather do than pay someone to come in and have to get someone in later on when I purchase another display.

Unfortunately I do not so someone else will have to handle that question.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
Quote:

Learning to calibrate on your own is a great way to potentially save money over time if you have the time to learn, however keep in mind that a professional will have gear much more expensive and accurate than what you would most likely buy as a DIY'er. Case and point, the Spyder 3tv is a relatively inexpensive probe, but its accuracy is hit or miss by a wide margin, and it may or may not play nicely with your display. It really depends on your budget - i.e. what you're willing to spend on your own gear/calibration vs hiring a pro - and how often you plan on buying/calibrating new displays.

Another option to consider is buying just the software and then renting a better probe only when you want to perform a calibration; this would give you access to a much more accurate probe at a small fraction of its regular price.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

Another option to consider is buying just the software and then renting a better probe only when you want to perform a calibration; this would give you access to a much more accurate probe at a small fraction of its regular price.

where can you rent a spectro?
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Here's one source that is quite reliable: http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?page_id=15

Larry
post #10 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I believe SpectraCal also rents the ColorMunki spectro as well.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

I believe SpectraCal also rents the ColorMunki spectro as well.

Only for their Calman customers I believe.

Also for the Wilson you can look into the free calibration software called ColorHCFR in this forum. Download it - its a bit antiquated but should be good for a beginner and you can order instead of the Spyder3 - order the Display2LTwhich is a much better meter and can be had at the same or close to the same price if you search on ebay.

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #12 of 12 Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Many options that I'll need to consider. Thank you for the assistance.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page