Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hi,

I've been using HCFR with AVS709 and a Display2Lt for a long time.

I just purchased a Eye One Pro for a great price and hope to add that to the mix.

(I suppose I may mention I also have a LUX meter but I don't know if I'll be using that much.)

I have a dedicated laptop and HCFR runs swell and I have no problem there.

Mostly what I concerned about is I don't see much information on using the EyeOne Pro. Seems most how to guides are detailed with regards to the use of colorimeters.

Any advice or tips for adding the Eye One Pro to my current routine?

Edit- I'm planning on "profile"-ing the Display2Lt using the EyeOne Pro and then I plan to do colors with the EyeOne Pro and lower end gray scale reading with the Display2.... Does that sound like a good plan?

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reading and thinking my current plan for work flow will be...

Set Projector (Sony VW60) to known defaults.

Measure Primaries and Secondaries (and white) with the Eye One Pro.

Re-measure with the display2 and make correction matrix.

Tune with Display 2 till I think it's good.

Make final measurements with the Eye One.

(Maybe measure gamma using the Lux meter)

I may scrap the Display2 colorimeter but from what I've read it makes a good companion to the Eye One Pro.

-Brian
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Reading and thinking my current plan for work flow will be...

Set Projector (Sony VW60) to known defaults.

Measure Primaries and Secondaries (and white) with the Eye One Pro.

Re-measure with the display2 and make correction matrix.

Tune with Display 2 till I think it's good.

Make final measurements with the Eye One.

(Maybe measure gamma using the Lux meter)

I may scrap the Display2 colorimeter but from what I've read it makes a good companion to the Eye One Pro.

-Brian

I think you do your read first with the i1pro then in the Parameters you can check off itt as References (main screen where the data populates), then do a File ->New, change to your display2 and then go to advance and xyz coordinate and computer conversion and now your display2 is really the eyeone with maxtrix conversion..put your i1pro away for now.

Dont get rid of the display2 - i jut got the i1pro myself and the combination of both will set you at ease that you will never need to update for a long time. The i1pro simply last a long time - in fact - Calman says they have yet encountered one they have certified out of spec.

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've heard they work well together and I'm thankful I'll have them.

Can't wait 4 the i1 now. It's rev D.

Bet my display2 is still working pretty well. Seems to work well and I keep it in sealed Tupperware with silica gel packs.

-Brian
Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Brian,

Here's a detailed method for doing the profile.

1. Set up HCFR for the Pro meter and do a normal sensor black level calibration (Measures/Sensor/Calibrate...)

2. Run the primary colors and the white windows reading the data with HCFR set up for the Pro meter. Save the run as something like "pro meter calibration.chc"

3. Set up HCFR for the LT (same as the D2) meter and do a normal sensor black level calibration (Measures/Sensor/Calibrate...)

4. Perform a new run for LT -- this time for the primary colors and the white windows reading the data with HCFR set up for the LT meter. Save the run as something like "LT meter calibration.chc"

5. Display the Pro results on your computer and check the "Reference measure" box in the upper right hand corner.

6. Display the LT results and click Advanced/XYZ coordinates adjustment matrix/Compute conversion matrix from reference document.

7. You will be asked if you want to apply a correction to your LT readings, Click yes.

8. Click Advanced/XYZ coordinates adjustment matrix/Manually edit XYZ conversion matrix...

9. The conversion matrix will be shown. Save it with a name like "LT calibration matrix 01-17-2012"

Done. That's it. Your LT color sensor is corrected to be the as close as possible to the Pro.

N.B. Now when you use HCFR with the LT, make sure that the correction matrix is loaded. If not, load it using the same steps as in item 8.

Larry
Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the detailed guide.

I experimented with the making of a matrix before so I know that's the correct method.

I imagine doing this with my projector will make a good matrix for the projector and I will want to go through the same process with my plasma screen because I think the resulting matrix will be different.

Thanks Again for the information.... I should have the meter within the week and it can't be soon enough. I finally get a chance to use HFCR and my various displays to the full capability.

=Brian
Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Thanks for the detailed guide.

I experimented with the making of a matrix before so I know that's the correct method.

I imagine doing this with my projector will make a good matrix for the projector and I will want to go through the same process with my plasma screen because I think the resulting matrix will be different.

Thanks Again for the information.... I should have the meter within the week and it can't be soon enough. I finally get a chance to use HFCR and my various displays to the full capability.

=Brian

have fun - but dont take it too far - some people get to the point they can even sit down and relax - enjoy a movie without being over critical of the calibration - there is a time for that and time to just watch..I stopped calibrating for a while and it took some time to detox from wanting to retweak so much...glad I am pass that..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I'm pretty good at relaxing and I do know just what you mean.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the i1 Pro.

I loaded up HCFR and since I had recently tuned with my Display2 things were close.

Red was over in the grey.
Green was undersaturated in the CMS.

Couple of tweaks and I had pretty data.

BUT ... the greatest thing is it's data I actually believe in.

I popped in a movie and I just accept the display as accurate and it's such a peace of mind.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the i1 Pro!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I got my i1Pro today. I followed the instructions here to profile the i1D2. I then ran g/s and p/s with the profile loaded, and compared the reading the i1Pro took and the profiled i1D2. Looking at the charts, there is a vast difference between the 2 meters. Have I done something wrong?

The only thing I was not sure about was in the meter configuration, for the i1Pro I chose i1Pro, and for the D2 I chose i1display LCD.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did you load the matrix correction?

There is a little checkbox for adjust XYZ or something like that in the lower right hand corner of the HCFR window.

When I first tried it,.... I didn't think the profiling notion worked.

Eventually though.... I realized it was working great.

I still can't believe it when I recheck with the i1pro and get the same readings I got with the D2. (Or ... Very close... like 2% here and there.)
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

I did load the matrix file from the advance menu before taking the readings. The i1pro set looks very close to the original readings without the profile loaded (from 30 to 100). My d2 has a lower red reading than the i1. The readings from the profile run with the d2 are not even close as you can see in the charts above.

Since this, I have profiled the d2 on my 151, and the profile for the plasma is very close. For some reason the LCD (LN40D550) and the i1 are not playing nice when trying to profile the d2.

I have noticed the i1 is every bit as fast reading as my d2 (I thought I read it was far slower), and other than the red level, the 2 meters agree from 30 to 100. The LCD for some reason has issues when trying to profile the d2.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah,

My i1 is pretty fast too.

You must have Rev D,... it's faster than the earlier revisions.

It's pretty tempting to use the i1 pro for everything. It's such a nice meter.

-Brian
Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Once the D2 has been profiled to the i1, and the D2 is used for gray scale, which meter should be used for the gamut?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Ok guys, I just won a i1pro off of ebay for $290. I don't have a colorimeter yet, so is the D2 good enough or should I spring for the D3 pro? The D2 is cheaper and if that will be good enough, hopefully I can save. I know the display pros offer extra but I actually don't want to go over $600.

The question I have is about the HCFR. Will I benefit more from getting a Calman or Chromapure? I'm completely new to this. This will be my first ever attempt at calibrating any of my 10+ projectors. I have the JVC RS55 now.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I see that Chromapure doesn't bundle to i1pro with any display pro colorimeters. I'm guessing the display pro is not needed, just the standard display, if I am correct?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I see that Chromapure doesn't bundle to i1pro with any display pro colorimeters. I'm guessing the display pro is not needed, just the standard display, if I am correct?
That's right. If you have an i1Pro 2 for profiling, all you need is the standard i1 Display Pro, which you can obtain on the retail market. If requested, we can also sell one as part of the package.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO