Eye-One Display2 or LT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EmilG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan on using it to calibrate my TV only, no computer monitors.
If I use HCFR is there any difference between the Display2 and LT?
I understand that the included software is different but I don't plan on using it.

Thanks
EmilG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
For HCFR there is no difference.
Brian Hampton is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EmilG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted verification.

Thank You!
EmilG is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
richlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilG View Post

I plan on using it to calibrate my TV only, no computer monitors.
If I use HCFR is there any difference between the Display2 and LT?
I understand that the included software is different but I don't plan on using it.

Thanks

get the cheaper one..LT I think..same pod different software

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

richlo is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EmilG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The LT should be arriving on Friday, then the fun will begin !
I looked over HCFR and it sure seems like it's got everything that anyone would need for a good calibration.

Thanks
EmilG is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Safe to assume you've read this guide several times...

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

-Brian
Brian Hampton is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EmilG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Safe to assume you've read this guide several times...

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

-Brian

Only once... so far .
EmilG is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Once is fine for some people.

I need to read it several times or maybe I just like reading it over again.

Kal says he based the guide on this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Which also makes great reading.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EmilG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Once is fine for some people.

I need to read it several times or maybe I just like reading it over again.

Kal says he based the guide on this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Which also makes great reading.

-Brian

Thanks, another bookmark for me!
EmilG is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
derekjsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mukilteo, WA
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Last of the X-Rite Display2's http://www2.spectracal.com/shared/we...e58448d3c7d90b

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
derekjsmith is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
mjodotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Last of the X-Rite Display2's http://www2.spectracal.com/shared/we...e58448d3c7d90b

Is this a good combo package to get started with home TV calibration or are the newer meters significantly better?
mjodotcom is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Member
 
chambery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using an i1Display LT, trying to calibrate my Samsung PN64D550 plasma.

Started with the 2 Pt WB before I consider hacking the service menu to access the 10 Pt WB controls and advanced CMS.

Using a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, the HD AVS709 disc, the meter and the CHCFR software, I get terrible grey scale readings using the 2 Pt white balance settings. I need to turn Red gain and offset to 50, the highest settings, and Blue gain and offset to 39 and 30 to get the best possible measured red results in greyscale. Blue and Green are right at 100%. but Red is no better than 90% on any greyscale % step. I left Green gain and offset untouched at 25 per the "Dummy" instructions. Then I tried lowering the Greens and that brought the Reds into line, but I lost Brightness levels. So I reset the Greens to 25.

With these extreme red settings, watching content the PQ is too red with skin tones and solid blacks showing a definite red tinge. I tried lowering contrast which did raise Red readings per the instructions but at the expense of the overall PQ, so I returned to the original contrast setting.

Based on the results, I must 1) have a bad meter (brought new and factory sealed but the "no longer manufactured" date is May 2011 and these meters are said to need periodic re-calibration usually annually) or 2) I'm using the meter wrong. The meter does adheres to the screen on its own, because when hanging it with the weight, it flushes to the screen and creates a suction without any pressure applied. This may have an adverse effect but the instructions indicated to let the meter adhere. I calibrated the meter per the instructions at the beginning of the session. I have the display type set to Plasma vs. LCD. I believe I am following the instructions properly, although I have not advanced beyond Part 7: How does your greyscale look now?

I am doubtful that going to the 10 Pt will overcome this problem if the 2 Pt is so far out of whack.

As noted before, the PQ looks excellent (although I think a tad too cool) just using the HD AVS 709 disc to calibrate with the user menu controls and leaving all white balance settings at the default of 25.

Settings are Warm2, everything off, etc., all the suggested base settings, prior to calibration with the meter and software.

Can anyone offer any observations based on your experience with the meter, software, setup and instructions? It seems most were able to make everything work to your satisfaction.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
chambery is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
bruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambery View Post

Using a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, the HD AVS709 disc, the meter and the CHCFR software, I get terrible grey scale readings using the 2 Pt white balance settings. I need to turn Red gain and offset to 50, the highest settings, and Blue gain and offset to 39 and 30 to get the best possible measured red results in greyscale. Blue and Green are right at 100%. but Red is no better than 90% on any greyscale % step. I left Green gain and offset untouched at 25 per the "Dummy" instructions. Then I tried lowering the Greens and that brought the Reds into line, but I lost Brightness levels. So I reset the Greens to 25.

With these extreme red settings, watching content the PQ is too red with skin tones and solid blacks showing a definite red tinge. I tried lowering contrast which did raise Red readings per the instructions but at the expense of the overall PQ, so I returned to the original contrast setting.

I don't think it's out of line to make large adjustments to the grayscale to get it to behave. I would carry on and finish all the color setups, rather than stopping as you said you did. Forget about the 10 pt if the color temp graph looks OK and do all the color setup and see if the red problem goes away.

Quote:


Can anyone offer any observations based on your experience with the meter, software, setup and instructions? It seems most were able to make everything work to your satisfaction.

I recently used the same test equipment as you and did both my LED displays. One was fairly well behaved, but the other had extreme blue in the gray scale setup that required turning down the adjustment it's full swing.

bruce
bruce is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off