Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Equipment:

Samsung LCD LN40D630
Samsung BD D5700
Motorola DVR QIP7232 s (FiOS)

The BD and DVR are directly connected to the TV via HDMI cable.

So, I've done a bunch of reading here over the last month since I got the new TV, and have previously done a DIY adjustment with the 709 disc (w/ mixed results). I figured, with well over 100 hours now on the TV, and a better understanding of calibration in general, I'd go back at it.

I turned off all adjustments on the BD player and the DVR, and all adjustments on the TV. I started with the Movie setting and Warm 2.

The basic settings went fine. It was when going through some of the Misc. Patterns that I noticed some variations that couldn't be easily adjusted with Color/Tint.

Specifically...

RGB all flash well below 235 w/ Misc. Pattern A4.

The variations really show up with Misc. Patterns B1 and B2.

For B1, the following settings were needed to get the 'ideal' for each of RGB:

Blue - Color 50, Tint 50/50
Red - Color 54, Tint 50/50
Green - Color 30, Tint 42/58

For B2, the results were similar. Blue was good at a Color setting of 50, but Red was good at a Color setting of 54 and Green was good at a color setting of 32.

As can be assumed, some of the colors seem off when watching TV and BDs. Reds can seem to "pop" a little but too much, bright yellows can look florescent, blond/brown hair can sometimes be tinted yellow, and some other colors such as orange and purple can appear a bit soft.

So, I'm wondering if some of the more advanced 'DIY' adjustments (such as Color Space, White Balance, 10p White Balance, etc.) can help to balance the BGR so that they are not soo out of kilter, and how I might look to make those adjustments. Or, if that isn't possible w/o advanced equipment, any recommendations on adjusting contract/brightness/color/tint, etc. to better balance colors?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

Color Space / White Balance and 10 pt WB all need instrumentation to do correctly. A probe and software to run the probe.

for hardware, preferably a spectrometer of some sort ... versus the tri-stim colorimeters (which can be reasonably close or well off depending on the TV.)

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page