Is this a bad projector or bad design? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm posting this here in hopes someone can help me improve the picture on my recently purchased Viewsonic pro8200 projector.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of highlight detail. Skin reflections are abnormally white, lacking detail, almost posterized.

The knock on this projector, as well as all these entry level 1080p projectors is the poor black level and when I bought that I thought I could live with that, since my last projector was an older LCD and the black levels weren't all that great on it.

I've tried to calibrate the projecter using eyeone display 2 and HCFR. I can get reasonable color temperature, and the picture looks nice, except for the lack of highlight detail and what I would call a compressed dynamic range.

When viewing a graduated gray scale, I can't lower the contrast to the point that there is a distinction between the 90% and 100% levelswhich is what I assume the graph is showing.

My question isis this likely a defect of this projector or just the way these entry level projectors have been designed?

I can live with colors not being exactly true and gray blacks (though I would like shadow detail in exchange for elevated black levels)but these blown out highlights bug me.

Would lowering the overall saturation help? I also don't want to mute the picture to the point that the colors become dull.

I had set the Brightness to 39 and the contrast to 12 when the grayscale was measured. (Default is 49, 48).

Thanks for any advice.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
This sounds like a levels mis-match, sending PC levels do a display device expecting Video levels. Check your source settings.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Greetings

Sometimes a wrong gamma setting might cause this too. Film versus graphics for instance. Check that.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You should check the Projector section here for the thread on the Pro 8200.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'll check the settings on the Panasonic BD player, but I don't think their is much there other than RGB regular and enhanced, and I have it set to regular and how it treats dark levels the choice is lighter or darker and I have it set at darker.

I have mentioned this on the pro8200 thread on the projector forum. Just thought the folks that frequent this forum might have some ideas why the output basically ends at 90%, since it was my understanding that white levels continue beyond 100%.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have the Pan. BD65 player. You want to set your player to "lighter" and re-calibrate. And also, set the player to "Normal" not cinema.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you can set the Panasonic to YCbCr instead of RGB then I would recommend that as otherwise the descriptions of the RGB modes aren't sufficient to know if it's normal levels, expanded levels, or convering between the two. Also make sure Enhanced Chroma is disabled, and it's in Normal mode. Both of those change the decoding.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #8 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

If you can set the Panasonic to YCbCr instead of RGB then I would recommend that as otherwise the descriptions of the RGB modes aren't sufficient to know if it's normal levels, expanded levels, or convering between the two. Also make sure Enhanced Chroma is disabled, and it's in Normal mode. Both of those change the decoding.

I guess that's why we should read the user's manual. Enhanced Chroma is on by default, and it's accessed using display, but only while the player is playing.

In this case, the projector seems to prefer RGB Standard.

Everything is fine now.

Thanks for all your help.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page