[CalMAN v4.5.0] Need some help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[This has already been posted on the official SpectraCAL boards, but I figured it'd increase my chances to get an answer if it was posted here as well]

Hello,

one year ago I used CalMAN 3.7.0 and my i1 Monitor meter to calibrate my Pioneer plasma (model PDP-LX6090), and got ruler-flat gamma and greyscale tracking in both ISF-DAY and ISF-NIGHT modes. Yesterday evening I decided to check my calibration and see if some tweaking was warranted after one year had passed and video settings had changed on my bluray player (OPPO BDP-83SE). I used the same i1 Monitor meter, plus a brand new i1 Pro a friend of mine bought a few months ago and lent me so I could check whether mine was still accurate (it was); CalMAN 4.5.0; ControlCAL 1.50; and the latest HDMV version of the AVS disc burnt to a BD-R.

My first problem was with pre-cal capture: it does not allow me to manually select a stimulus level and perform a single reading on it. All I get is the "play in parenthesys" button, which I'm quite uncomfortable with. My meter reads faster than I can skip patterns, thus making it an unsuccesful and frustrating process. Is there any way to enable single readings on manually selected stimuli? I see the same applies to the post-cal capture screen.

Second, I am unable to track gamma. Although the "Select gamma" screen does allow for single readings ("play" button with no parenthesys), it doesn't allow me to manually select the stimulus level I'm measuring, leaving CalMAN perpetually stuck at 0 IRE. This way, I could not check gamma on my Kuro neither with v. 4.3.1 nor with v. 4.5.0. Is there a way to manually select the stimuli in the "Select gamma" screen? Is it possible to add the gamma luminance chart to it (it would be pretty handy to see both charts simultaneously)?

Third, what appeared to be perfectly linear readings in CalMAN 3 look significantly worse in CalMAN 4. The greyscale tracking graph never looks perfectly linear even when all dEs are way below 1; I reckon it is scaled to expose small errors? I was kinda frustrated to see the graph look constantly bad even with dE76 figures that low, and I didn't know which one to believe. It also took me a while to understand that the greyscale tracking graph now also shows gamma behavior; even though higher stimuli (60 - 100 IRE) didn't need much tweaking both in terms of greyscale and gamma, the lower end appeared to be significantly worse than I had seen in CalMAN 3, excessively sensitive to small changes in gamma settings, and almost impossible to clean unless linearity was sacrificed in the upper end of the greyscale (which is unusual for a 9G Kuro). When higher stimuli were flat on the 0 line, lower stimuli were at about -8. Touching the gamma controls in ControlCAL to tweak 10 - 50 IRE (one notch each) would put them at +1. That's a whopping difference for just a one notch adjustment!

Thanks in advance to anyone who'll help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HOLY CRAP YES. I had the EXACT same problem, with being unable to manually select individual stimulus levels. I literally spent two hours troubleshooting it, and nearly gave up. I have the exact solution for you, it involves adding a new element to that page of the workflow. I'll give you all the gory details once I get back to my main office.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 'Tool' you're looking for is the "Source Slider" tool. On the left side of the screen in Calman, you'll see an option for "Tools". If it's not expanded, click on it to expand the Tools selection. Then you'll see a graphic of a white triangle under the number 90. That is the Source Slider tool. Click on it to add it to a workflow. Right click on it to change it's properties.

It sounds so simple, but most workflows trick you into thinking that the source slider is part of a chart because the way the elements in the layout are positioned. It is not. The source slider is a separate element.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You can turn off the auto scaling of any chart by right-clicking the chart and selecting properties. On the properties pane on the right, un-check "Auto Scale".

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot to the both of you. Tomorrow night I should be able to work on my plasma again and try what you suggested.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
nice! thanks for this info Zandar!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

ZandarKoad: thanks to your suggestion I could finally make use of the pre-cal capture, post-cal capture and select gamma parts of the workflow! You'd think it wouldn't take much to a SpectraCAL employee to provide such a simple solution to my problem, yet my thread on the SpectraCAL boards remains unanswered...

Turns out my gamma was indeed ruler flat; at this point I have no idea as to the pattern followed by the greyscale tracking curve. Even when gamma tracks perfectly linear that curve is slightly oblique for no apparent reason.

I'm also at a loss as to why my ISF-NIGHT mode now exhibits a fair deal of non-linearity I can't seem to fix...
Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev666il View Post

ZandarKoad: thanks to your suggestion I could finally make use of the pre-cal capture, post-cal capture and select gamma parts of the workflow! You'd think it wouldn't take much to a SpectraCAL employee to provide such a simple solution to my problem, yet my thread on the SpectraCAL boards remains unanswered...

Turns out my gamma was indeed ruler flat; at this point I have no idea as to the pattern followed by the greyscale tracking curve. Even when gamma tracks perfectly linear that curve is slightly oblique for no apparent reason.

I'm also at a loss as to why my ISF-NIGHT mode now exhibits a fair deal of non-linearity I can't seem to fix...

We do have multiple ways to provide support and watch forums both here and our boards. I try to answer as much as I can, but when the community answers first I usually don't intervene unless I can add something special, or to correct misinformation.

In fact your post sparked a conversation yesterday about why we pull so many buttons off of workflows. Your issue can even be frustrating for me. When I'm working on testing new features and the layout I'm on has had items removed for "ease-of-use" I find it incredibly frustrating.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer