New guy here, sorry if it has been posted before, got couple of questions. plasmahdtv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i recently got my Panasonic TC-P46st30
when i got it two days ago, i opened it the White glove delivery service went smooth. okay here are my questions.
1.) whats a 100 hour break in period?
2.) when i was playing halo 3 yesterday on xbox 360 (hdmi) when the screen goes dark i see like green little pixels jumping around moving very quickly. is this normal because its new?
3.) ive heard of d-nice calibration settings? where do i find this to use?
4.) yesterday i also saw pink and green pixels moving rapidly, same questions as #2
help me please , is the pixel thing going on because i have breaked in for 100 hours? so far ive had 5 hours of use in 3 days.
thank you guys so much if this has been asked before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM

1.) Those are know as "dead pixels". bad bad...defective unit
2.) Break in period is to let the internal electronics heat up and then normalize to a certain temperature and operating level. Much like a car engine that is best performing after 10,000 miles or so.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Some answers:

1) The break-in period isn't as big of a deal with a plasma now. Previously the first couple hundred hours were more prone to burn-in than later in life. Some people would run them at no more than half brightness and contrast, with rotating patterns of slides for 100-200 hours to get past this point quickly. With moderns plasmas this isn't really much of a concern.
2) Are the pixels just slightly green when up close, or very green from a distance? Do you have another HDMI cable you can test with?
3) You can look in the owners thread for your plasma for the settings other people use, but since sets have different tolerances, and people have different viewing environments, there is virtually no chance you can use the same settings on your display and get the same results.
4) See #2

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwor View Post

1.) Those are know as "dead pixels". bad bad...defective unit

I thought "dead pixels" were stuck, either on or off. If they are jumping around or moving during very dark scenes wouldn't it rather be the TV failing to properly display blacker than black?
post #5 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Some answers:

1) The break-in period isn't as big of a deal with a plasma now. Previously the first couple hundred hours were more prone to burn-in than later in life. Some people would run them at no more than half brightness and contrast, with rotating patterns of slides for 100-200 hours to get past this point quickly. With moderns plasmas this isn't really much of a concern.
2) Are the pixels just slightly green when up close, or very green from a distance? Do you have another HDMI cable you can test with?
3) You can look in the owners thread for your plasma for the settings other people use, but since sets have different tolerances, and people have different viewing environments, there is virtually no chance you can use the same settings on your display and get the same results.
4) See #2

Well I'm using a Bellini hdmi 1.4 with Ethernet cable. I can see from about 3-4 feet. It's horrible But yeah

Attachment 236096
LL
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page