65VT30, the agaony and the ecstasy :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I finally figured out what my issue is (o.k., besides the obvious ).

First my issue is this, on certain scenes, especially news broadcasts, on faces I would see a metallic like highlight on cheekbones and other intense areas, otherwise the picture was incredible. I'd go to bed late at night after a marathon calibrating session happy. When I turn it on in the morning, pow, there are the highlights again . I did some measurements and noticed that when first turned on it seems to have an abundance of red but that balances out after a while but after watching again I started to see the the metallic highlights again. I was seeing this with my dE's of 2 or less and gamma within .05 of 2.2 and luminance within a few percent, so the calibration was as far as my eyes could discern was right on.

Yesterday after watching my 3rd or 4th set of "final settings" , I started thinking about the gamma again. I remembered how out of the box settings had a tendency to let the gamma go lower at higher IRE's, even the THX setting. I also thought the gamma adjustment is pretty heavy on the negative side (lower gamma) at higher IRE's.

Hmmm, maybe this is the issue?
If what I'm calibrating with is incorrect then my result would be incorrect.
I'm using the AVS HD 709 patterns for HCFR - windowed. Messing around earlier I tried the APL patterns and noticed the gamma went the other way at high IRE's, too high.
Hanging around in the back of my mind was when checking with my S&M dvd on the Clipping pattern, I would never get the full range of concentric boxes unless I turned down the contrast to some inordinately low number like 50.
So I thought let me remove all my gamma compensation and see where it would go. I figured the picture would get pretty light and washed out.
It did get a bit brighter overall but didn't get washed out and the metallic highlights (which I've learned to despise) were not there, not even this morning, the picture still looks great!!!

I read the peak intensity of a plasma does depend on much of the screen is lit but APL patterns take care of this.
I'll be calibrating tonight with APL patterns and see what the result is.
I think I read that a highly regarded calibrator likes the Calman APL patterns which are available from AVS HD 709, I'll try them.

I never give up, I'm so close to that incredible picture for all scenes, hopefully I'll be doing my final, final settings (for at least a couple days)!
This is fun stuff!

Here's my last settings before my revelation!

02-01-12 76,53,41 Color.zip 4.0673828125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip 02-01-12 76,53,41 Color.zip (4.1 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilG View Post

I think I finally figured out what my issue is (o.k., besides the obvious ).

First my issue is this, on certain scenes, especially news broadcasts, on faces I would see a metallic like highlight on cheekbones and other intense areas, otherwise the picture was incredible. I'd go to bed late at night after a marathon calibrating session happy. When I turn it on in the morning, pow, there are the highlights again . I did some measurements and noticed that when first turned on it seems to have an abundance of red but that balances out after a while but after watching again I started to see the the metallic highlights again. I was seeing this with my dE's of 2 or less and gamma within .05 of 2.2 and luminance within a few percent, so the calibration was as far as my eyes could discern was right on.

Yesterday after watching my 3rd or 4th set of "final settings" , I started thinking about the gamma again. I remembered how out of the box settings had a tendency to let the gamma go lower at higher IRE's, even the THX setting. I also thought the gamma adjustment is pretty heavy on the negative side (lower gamma) at higher IRE's.

Hmmm, maybe this is the issue?
If what I'm calibrating with is incorrect then my result would be incorrect.
I'm using the AVS HD 709 patterns for HCFR - windowed. Messing around earlier I tried the APL patterns and noticed the gamma went the other way at high IRE's, too high.
Hanging around in the back of my mind was when checking with my S&M dvd on the Clipping pattern, I would never get the full range of concentric boxes unless I turned down the contrast to some inordinately low number like 50.
So I thought let me remove all my gamma compensation and see where it would go. I figured the picture would get pretty light and washed out.
It did get a bit brighter overall but didn't get washed out and the metallic highlights (which I've learned to despise) were not there, not even this morning, the picture still looks great!!!

I read the peak intensity of a plasma does depend on much of the screen is lit but APL patterns take care of this.
I'll be calibrating tonight with APL patterns and see what the result is.
I think I read that a highly regarded calibrator likes the Calman APL patterns which are available from AVS HD 709, I'll try them.

I never give up, I'm so close to that incredible picture for all scenes, hopefully I'll be doing my final, final settings (for at least a couple days)!
This is fun stuff!

Here's my last settings before my revelation!

I just bought same set on weekend. Playing with settings also but little frustrating as I was use to my past DLP set. My eyes are trying to adjust to new colors. I wasn't overly impressed with factory settings. Mind sharing some of yours I could try?
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartin View Post

I just bought same set on weekend. Playing with settings also but little frustrating as I was use to my past DLP set. My eyes are trying to adjust to new colors. I wasn't overly impressed with factory settings. Mind sharing some of yours I could try?

'Sharing display menu settings?'
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906
post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartin View Post

I tweaked the Service Menu settings to get Warm2 closer for THX so my settings won't work very well.
I'm looking to calibrate in Normal soon.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page