Oppo as a signal Generator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read some very good things about Oppo brand Blu-Ray players, mostly from this article: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/techn...roduction.html.

I know a few guys here were going to run some tests on their own Oppos, to see if they could verify the results. My question is, if the Oppo is as perfect as the article is claiming, couldn't an Oppo (along with the AVSHD709 disc) be used as a poor man's pattern generator to accurately calibrate any HDMI / Component / Composite input on a Display? I mean, it's average dE is either 0.0 or 0.1 based on their data...

It would mostly be used as an incremental step towards purchasing a real pattern generator of course, since $300-$500 (Oppo) is a lot easier to swallow than $2500 - $5000 (VideoForge).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandarKoad View Post

I've read some very good things about Oppo brand Blu-Ray players, mostly from this article: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/techn...roduction.html.

I know a few guys here were going to run some tests on their own Oppos, to see if they could verify the results. My question is, if the Oppo is as perfect as the article is claiming, couldn't an Oppo (along with the AVSHD709 disc) be used as a poor man's pattern generator to accurately calibrate any HDMI / Component / Composite input on a Display? I mean, it's average dE is either 0.0 or 0.1 based on their data...

Yes it absolutely could.

We do have our western digital base generator:
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer...-dpg-1400.html
It comes with the ir blaster and is a bit faster that disc based players.

But if a piece of hardware has been compared to reference equipment in a lab and compared within tolerances then it would do the job.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The Oppo is as perfect as claimed, though since I'm the one that ran it through the testing you're just taking my word for it. Other players have done through and not done nearly as well, but you can use the Oppo as a source. It's not going to be as fast or easy as a dedicated pattern generator, but it will work.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Wouldn't the PS3 also work as a pattern generator? At $250-$300, it's even cheaper than the Oppo.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The PS3 is accurate in YCbCr with Superwhite enabled and in RGB Limited mode. There are a couple caveats to this:

- only YCbCr 4:4:4 is supported and not 4:2:2. If you need 4:2:2 for any reason the PS3 can't do this
- RGB limited clips BTB and WTW which can make a calibration harder.

You can also use the Panasonic BDT-210 or read our other recent Blu-ray reviews to see which players pass data correctly.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Wouldn't the PS3 also work as a pattern generator? At $250-$300, it's even cheaper than the Oppo.

The Oppo is a superior player though. When you set it to Source Direct and HDMI Auto, it passes the signal unscaled directly from the disk in whatever format your display expects...RGB Video or PC, 4:4:4, or 4:2:2.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

The PS3 is accurate in YCbCr with Superwhite enabled and in RGB Limited mode. There are a couple caveats to this:

- only YCbCr 4:4:4 is supported and not 4:2:2. If you need 4:2:2 for any reason the PS3 can't do this
- RGB limited clips BTB and WTW which can make a calibration harder.

You can also use the Panasonic BDT-210 or read our other recent Blu-ray reviews to see which players pass data correctly.

Looks like my new player of choice is that Panasonic BDT-210. It lacks the output versatility, but it's data pass through is flawless according to the aforementioned review. Oh, and it's only $130 brand new versus $350 for a used Oppo. $500 for a new Oppo.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Hello,

I have the Panasonic BDT-310 and also want to have the player pass through the video signal flawlessly (I only watch Blurays). I've read the Secrets review of the BDT-210 and know you need to keep the display mode to Normal and have the Chroma Process set to Off, but there are other video settings that I am not sure what the values should be to have the video output to be bit perfect. I've set the video settings to:

Under Settings - TV/Device Connection:
* HDMI Colour mode: YCbCr (4:4:4)
* Deep Colour Output: Automatic
* Contents Type Flag: Off (if I set this to Automatic, my TV changes the picture mode to Cinema which is not calibrated)

When video is playing, Under Display - Picture:
* Mode: Normal
* Progressive: Auto
* Chroma Process: Off
* Detail Clarity: Off
* Super Resolution: 0

I've also set High Clarity Sound to On (I have the sound bit-stream to the receiver, and know this setting is unrelated to video)

Are these the correct settings to use to pass through Bluray video output correctly?

Many thanks for all of your kind help!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page