Problem after calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, been lurking for awhile. I purchased a Sharp TV (lc-60le633u) from best buy for 1200 bucks and they said I could get it calibrated for $50. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the money but it was only 50 bucks so I went with it. I had read on here all the advantages and was looking forward to it. The tech who did the calibration was very knowledgeable and finished in a little under an hour. I do have to say I was happy with the way I had set it up and the calibration made it a tad better. Its been two months now and I have started noticing the blacks are horrible. For some reason blue shows up and it is really annoying. I know I can call the tech back since he said it was good for a year which I will be doing soon. I just wanted some input on what I should let him know, or what to expect him to do. I will try and upload photos. Let me know if I am just crazy and it is a normal pic please. Thanks for any input and advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 04:17 AM

I would not call back the guy who did a $50 calibration in under an hour to fix any problems... I would ask for a refund and look elsewhere... And I would review the meaning of the word "calibration."
post #3 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
So when the person left, the TV was fine?
And no one has touched any thing in any of the settings?
And the issue is the same on all input...I.E. Cable box, BR payer, game console..etc etc?

You need to perform basic trouble shooting before you call anyone. Calibrations settings don't just change on their own so if all was good, and now it is not, you most likely have some other problem..

How is your system configure from source to TV, do you use a receive to switch input devices or are all the device plugged into a different input on the TV. The more info you can provide the better.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 413
It's hard to tell from those screenshots, but that blue posteurization looks like it could be caused by too heavy a hand on the grayscale cut controls (if it's a TV problem and not a source problem, that is). In the advanced pic adjustments, what are the R/G/B white balance controls set at?

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #5 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

I have a Denon Avr-1912 receiver that everything goes into with my hdmi out going to tv. I did not have the receiver when calibration was done and tech said it should not make a difference when i add it. He did say that constant unplugging of the hdmi wires could cause settings to be lost which has not been done, just once to add receiver. Also, I did notice this before I added the receiver. Color setting have not been adjusted after he set everything. The only times I have noticed this blue is on HD netflix and live HD tv. I will try going into a different hdmi port on tv since he calibrated all ports.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Just checked my settings and not sure what any of this means but the c.m.s -hue, saturation, and value are all set at zero. The only ones that i remember were adjusted by him were backlight +14, contrast +31, brightness +4, color +2, tint +3 and sharpness +3. I know he was using a machine and he showed me how off my colors were and was adjusting from that I assume. Does anyone think the c.m.s settings were at one point adjusted and I lost the settings by unplugging the hdmi to add receiver? Thanks for input.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 413
BB normally doesn't even touch advanced controls like CMS; with them sometimes they don't even adjust grayscale. I just did a Poneer 5020 that was supposedly calibrated by them and grayscale wasn't even touched. Of course with that TV in order to do grayscale you have to have ControlCAL software, which I don't think they have.
Your brightness setting of +4 looks highly suspicious to me. With these Sharps, if all dynamic contrast enhancements are turned off as they should be and the proper picture mode is used, brightness is normally best at either 0 or +1.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #8 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Those setting were from the User mode setting which is how he left it. I can change modes to movie, dynamic, and a few others and those numbers move slightly. The first time I noticed this was during Iron Man 2 streaming with the netflix app on my tv. I just thought that the netflix movie was bad since I was streaming it. But having seen it on my regular programming yesterday with the Grammys, I am worried it will be on most programs with dark colors. Tv looks fine with normal shows and blue rays though.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update. Apparently the techs started checking other TVs and pretty much every TV they checked ranging from Dynex to Samsung, LED's, to Plasmas were doing the same thing. So I was told it was not due to the calibration and that the TV was not the problem. Basically, I am out of luck and would have to speak with a manager if I want to try and exchange it. Wonder if anyone else TV does this. The test was going to Netflix and playing Iron Man 2. At the start of movie when he lands on stage, it is noticeable. Also on Time Warner Palladia channel, it pretty much always looks like this when someone is performing. If anyone does test this, and it does not have this problem, please let me know the TV, so I can have options with exchanging it. Thanks in advance!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I can't imagine this is correct, as that type of posterization usually entails something is wrong with grayscale or gamma or a similar setting. I'll try to test this out on a couple displays here in the next day or so with Iron Man 2. Any specific scene that has the issue, or just the opening scene?

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #11 of 11 Old 02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaothewise View Post

Just a quick update. Apparently the techs started checking other TVs and pretty much every TV they checked ranging from Dynex to Samsung, LED's, to Plasmas were doing the same thing. So I was told it was not due to the calibration and that the TV was not the problem. Basically, I am out of luck and would have to speak with a manager if I want to try and exchange it. Wonder if anyone else TV does this. The test was going to Netflix and playing Iron Man 2. At the start of movie when he lands on stage, it is noticeable. Also on Time Warner Palladia channel, it pretty much always looks like this when someone is performing. If anyone does test this, and it does not have this problem, please let me know the TV, so I can have options with exchanging it. Thanks in advance!

What city/state are you in, there may be some DIYers here that are near to you and be willing to take a look at it for you.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page