HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #271 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Perhaps also related, when I pull up a saved file I have to have a meter plugged in to access certain menu items (like changing reference or gamma calculation). Same problem with two files open and one meter, one file is fine and the other wants a meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
quick question.

do you guys unplugged your meter and put it back in the box after you done measuring?

i was too tired last night and just left my i1d3 memter opened and plugged in.
post #273 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

ahh..thanks. good to know, i'll try that tonight.

btw blue, what are you calibrating? mind posting some results?

I am calibrating a Panasonic 65ST30 plasma. I could post some files (and I did early on in this thread, I believe, of my first calibration pass). I'm having two problems right now which make me feel like my results are unreliable:

1. The readings on plasma right now are unstable. My measurements jump around quite a bit after I get to 50 IRE. I also have some instability at 70 IRE.

2. My plasma is new, and I'm still trying to get a handle on the best way to calibrate gamma. ABL is kicking in and causing havoc. That, coupled with issue #1 makes my gamma reading bounce all over the place.
post #274 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

quick question.

do you guys unplugged your meter and put it back in the box after you done measuring?

i was too tired last night and just left my i1d3 memter opened and plugged in.

I would recommend putting it away most of the time. Fortunately, the i1d3 has sealed optics, so it isn't nearly as much of an issue as with the i1d2, where you really wanted to keep it in a ziploc bag.
post #275 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

both rgb levels and color temp looks much better. but gamma took a huge dive. what gives?

To help with setting your gamma correctly (and primaries and secondaries when/if you're ready to go that route), I recommend using the spreadsheet developed by AVS member stereomandan and explained in the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1111066

Hopefully you have the controls to boost luminence (Y) properly.

Good luck!
post #276 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post

To help with setting your gamma correctly (and primaries and secondaries when/if you're ready to go that route), I recommend using the spreadsheet developed by AVS member stereomandan and explained in the following post:

Hopefully you have the controls to boost luminence (Y) properly.

Good luck!

yes, i am following that exact guide. I do have brightness control for primariy and secondary colors.
post #277 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I recommend using the spreadsheet developed by AVS member stereomandan and explained in the following post:

I also use stereomandan's spreadsheet as part of my calibration process. But I'd rather not have to.

Given that JohnAD is asking us what's needed in HCFR, perhaps we could all post what we use the spreadsheet for, and he can work it into HCFR eventually.

I use it to calculate targets for 75% saturations, and to plot saturation readings on the CIE graph with targets (targets are not available in HCFR). So I mainly use it for CMS work. I find that existing HCFR functionality works fine for grayscale and gamma.

@JohnAD - thanks for taking on this project!
post #278 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

I also use Dan's spreadsheet as part of my calibration process. But I'd rather not have to.

Given that JohnAD is asking us what's needed in HCFR, perhaps we could all post what we use the spreadsheet for, and he can work it into HCFR eventually.

I use it to calculate targets for 75% saturations, and to plot saturation readings on the CIE graph with targets. So I mainly use it for CMS work. I find that existing HCFR functionality works fine for grayscale and gamma.

+1. if this could be built into HCFR Fork, it's a BIG bonus.
post #279 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also use Dan's spreadsheet as part of my calibration process. But I'd rather not have to.

I use it to calculate targets for 75% saturations, and to plot saturation readings on the CIE graph with targets. So I mainly use it for CMS work. I find that existing HCFR functionality works fine for grayscale and gamma.

I believe that was requested at the beginning of this thread. If not, I'm with you - that would be a great feature to add.

Can you point me to Dan's spreadsheet? I'm not familiar with it.
post #280 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you point me to Dan's spreadsheet? I'm not familiar with it.

I'm referring to the same spreadsheet you linked above - I'll edit my post to clear that up
post #281 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I don't recall my plasma having any issues, bouncing around 50ire. Was this with free measures?

So I have done all my work with the iD2. Which is a few years old.

How do I get a calibration/offset file for it? Is this done by someone running their good meter whilst checking mine at the same time? I am curious at what is required.

Or should I jump in with colormunki or iD3?
post #282 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm referring to the same spreadsheet you linked above - I'll edit my post to clear that up

Haha...sometimes I'm a bit dense...
post #283 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

I don't recall my plasma having any issues, bouncing around 50ire. Was this with free measures?

This is an issue a few of us have noticed with the i1d3 and plasma screens in the newest iteration of HCFR.
post #284 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also use stereomandan's spreadsheet as part of my calibration process. But I'd rather not have to.

I use it to calculate targets for 75% saturations, and to plot saturation readings on the CIE graph with targets (targets are not available in HCFR). So I mainly use it for CMS work. I find that existing HCFR functionality works fine for grayscale and gamma.

+1 If this and the new meter support are the only additional features added I'd be happy.

John, I'm ready to test this weekend, will post results when the new version is ready
post #285 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

This is an issue a few of us have noticed with the i1d3 and plasma screens in the newest iteration of HCFR.

Sorry, a i1d3 issue, not hcfr. I am with you now.
post #286 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

stupid question guys, but i just can't figure out how to mount my i1d3 on a tripod.

when i mounted it, it's pointing upward. i am not taking measurements of my ceiling. lol

how do you mount it on a camera tripod and have it pointed at the screen?
post #287 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Sorry, a i1d3 issue, not hcfr. I am with you now.

I don't think it's really a problem with the i1d3 or HCFR individually. It's the way the drivers interact with HCFR.
post #288 of 4098 Old 03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

stupid question guys, but i just can't figure out how to mount my i1d3 on a tripod.

when i mounted it, it's pointing upward. i am not taking measurements of my ceiling. lol

how do you mount it on a camera tripod and have it pointed at the screen?

You need a 3 way tripod mount which allow you to flip the head a full 90 degrees. When you're using it with a camera, it allows for both portrait and landscape orientation.

If your tripod is for photography, it'll generally be a 3 way mount. If it's for film, it'll be a 2 way mount (since you usually only pan and tilt).
post #289 of 4098 Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I hadn't used HCFR in a while, and one nice feature would be an option to skip the 0% reading, or to just reuse the reading from a previous run. It's somewhat pointless to measure 0% with each grayscale run.
post #290 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:

ok guys.

had a chance to play around tonight.

first, here's my setup.

system: windows 7 64bit
pj: epson 8100
screen: 90" gray paint
meter: i1d3 (20" from screen, below center and tilted up)

1) i plug the i1d3 into the USB port and Win7 recognizes and showed up in 'device manager'

2) launch hcfr, select the proper settings and i1d3 also shows up as a meter.

follows are screen shots of my gray scale measurements. you guys help me interpret the results, they look pretty bad to me (based on my limited knowledge).

I have an 8350. If they are similar, I found that the first-level menu "skin tone" setting is a killer. In graphing its behavior, it appears anything other than "0" acts as increasingly horrid red cut / green boost.

The choice of "color temp" used as the start point makes a difference too. General consensus seems to be "start at 7000." Picture mode of choice is "Natural, " which is where I took this data set. I need to look at Cinema.

With all data reset to default, I graphed each temp to observe where R and B (which had distinct slopes in their data) intersected or crossed the G data (which was really pretty flat!) at 50 (arbitrary but seems logical). I ended up at 8500 as a base. Or was it 8000? Anyway, I ended up with a "symetrical" gain-offset set, for example Green stayed essentially "0 / 0", Blue offset +15 Blue gain -15, Red offset -2 Red gain +2. It really tamed a lot of humps/dips in my graphs. I cringe at the amplitude of the big blue numbers, but that's the best I could get in "Natural" mode.
post #291 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 AM

Has anyone tried the new driver for the Spyder3?

I have been trying to update the driver as stated in the wiki to test but have had no luck.

Windows 7-32bit keeps telling me that the driver is not signed and therefore will not use it.
post #292 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxTurbo View Post

Has anyone tried the new driver for the Spyder3?

I have been trying to update the driver as stated in the wiki to test but have had no luck.

Windows 7-32bit keeps telling me that the driver is not signed and therefore will not use it.

I always thought Windows gave you the option to use the drivers anyway, even if they weren't signed. It's been a while since I've had that problem so all I can suggest at the moment is to try an online search for details but it could just be a setting that needs changed.
post #293 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyCrusader View Post

I have an 8350. If they are similar, I found that the first-level menu "skin tone" setting is a killer. In graphing its behavior, it appears anything other than "0" acts as increasingly horrid red cut / green boost.

The choice of "color temp" used as the start point makes a difference too. General consensus seems to be "start at 7000." Picture mode of choice is "Natural, " which is where I took this data set. I need to look at Cinema.

With all data reset to default, I graphed each temp to observe where R and B (which had distinct slopes in their data) intersected or crossed the G data (which was really pretty flat!) at 50 (arbitrary but seems logical). I ended up at 8500 as a base. Or was it 8000? Anyway, I ended up with a "symetrical" gain-offset set, for example Green stayed essentially "0 / 0", Blue offset +15 Blue gain -15, Red offset -2 Red gain +2. It really tamed a lot of humps/dips in my graphs. I cringe at the amplitude of the big blue numbers, but that's the best I could get in "Natural" mode.

Thanks. Being complete new to this, I just follow the Epson Calibration Guide on this forum to keep things simple. After some practice, I will try your method and see what shows up. I did some more calibration last night with the Natural mode and things looked much better, but still need a bit more fine tuning.
post #294 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

a few more shots of my calibration with HCFR Fork. so far, i haven't found any other issues. the application runs pretty smoothly.

post #295 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

i haven't found any other issues. the application runs pretty smoothly.

I agree that the updated meter support is very similar to the old version when I tried my i1pro. One area where the previous version is preferable is that if you click new you do not need to recalibrate the meter each time on the old version. Otherwise I thought the Argyll support was a considerable improvement to a rather good freeware program.
post #296 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

i did not calibrate my i1d3 before taking new measurements. is calibration needed? if yes, how do i calibrate the meter?
post #297 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

a few more shots of my calibration with HCFR Fork. so far, i haven't found any other issues. the application runs pretty smoothly.

Wow! Great improvement.
post #298 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

i did not calibrate my i1d3 before taking new measurements. is calibration needed? if yes, how do i calibrate the meter?

There is no need to calibrate the i1d3. HCFR should let you know if you have a meter that requires calibration.
post #299 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! Great improvement.

Thanks. It did took me a few late nights. I still need to play with it a little more.
post #300 of 4098 Old 03-11-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl View Post

There is no need to calibrate the i1d3. HCFR should let you know if you have a meter that requires calibration.

Good to know. Thanks
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page