HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #3151 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Excellent thanks! It will be interesting to see how well this works. On these Sharp televisions game mode has the least amount of motion interpolation but it has two point scale adjustment instead of 10 points. So I might get into trouble.

If you don't have 10pt. WB and only have 2pt., then you're going to be very limited in the control you have with RGB and Gamma settings. You basically can only set 2 points on the scale (a high and low point). You need to pick the high and low point that needs the most adjustment and use those two to start with. On my Samsung I would use my Offset to set the low level and the Gain to set the high level. That will also impact the points around those two points, but not nearly as much as having a full 10pt. WB control. I use the 2pt. WB to get me to the best starting point to start adjusting 10pt. WB. You won't be able to do that, so you'll have to simply do some 2pt. adjustments and experiement with which two points (high and low) that give you the best overall results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

If you don't have 10pt. WB and only have 2pt., then you're going to be very limited in the control you have with RGB and Gamma settings. You basically can only set 2 points on the scale (a high and low point). You need to pick the high and low point that needs the most adjustment and use those two to start with. On my Samsung I would use my Offset to set the low level and the Gain to set the high level. That will also impact the points around those two points, but not nearly as much as having a full 10pt. WB control. I use the 2pt. WB to get me to the best starting point to start adjusting 10pt. WB. You won't be able to do that, so you'll have to simply do some 2pt. adjustments and experiement with which two points (high and low) that give you the best overal results.

That makes sense. If I could defeat motion interpolation in MOVIE mode on the Sharp, that would give me a 10pt wb control. But hopefully I'll find a reasonable compromise in GAME mode with the 2pt WB control, since it has the least motion processing of all modes. Thanks!

Build Thread:
post #3153 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That makes sense. If I could defeat motion interpolation in MOVIE mode on the Sharp, that would give me a 10pt wb control. But hopefully I'll find a reasonable compromise in GAME mode with the 2pt WB control, since it has the least motion processing of all modes. Thanks!

I've been a Samsung guy for a long time, so I'm not familar with your set. I don't know how bad the interpolation is in Movie mode, but I'd fully calibrate both modes and decide which trade-off to settle on. Me personally, would take some interpolation and a perfectly set gray scale and gamma (the most important part of all of this in my opinion) over the alternative. But then again I don't know how bad the interpolation actually is on your set. I would definately get both modes calibrated as best you can and choose which one you like the best.

post #3154 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:

Cool. Clearly user error on my part! biggrin.gif

I'll try again. Obviously I have the right driver(s) since I was able to use version 2....

....so it's likely a case of having not put it in the right folder or something.

EDIT: Just looked at my probe's box. It says Eye 1 Display LT. Maybe that's why!

version 3 using new drivers and meter handling code described here.
Quote:
And I'll infer from your response that I'm likely to find version 3 easier to use, in terms of figuring out which adjustments to make in the CMS controls. I could do it with version 2, if I sit there with a print out of what official rec 709 spec and compare values and experiment with which control impacts which value and in what direction, of course, but if I can avoid that trial and error a bit, that's great.

version 3 has the same real-time displays as version 2 so you need to know which way your controls move each calibration point in xyY.

-----

post #3155 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Liked: 18
Hi

@zoyd: I'm confused about the various versions and forks of HCFR.

In the OP of this thread, it states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

The latest HCFR “Fork” has been taken up by Zoyd – and can be found here;-

... which points to the "HCFR-zoyd" project here https://sourceforge.net/projects/zoyd000.u/files/downloads/ with a latest version of 3.0.5.2 dated 2013-10-24.

However in your current sig you point to the "hcfr" project here http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/files/Windows/ which has a latest version of 3.1.0.5 dated 2014-01-15.

The latter was, according to the OP, also the "original" fork by JohnAd:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Original Post

I've started a fork of the HCFR code at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/

So, what is the relationship between the two projects?
Are they both 'live' projects?
Does this thread 'support' both forks?
Is there any plan to merge them?

I've previously been using version 3.0.4.2 from your fork - which fork/version should I be using now?

Thanks
Roland
post #3156 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The OP needs to be updated.

JohnAd started the fork of HCFR project and created the main fork of HCFR page. Zoyd started working on it when John went inactive but he originally uploaded his builds to this page. He now uploads his builds to the main HCFR Fork page created by John, and is where you can find the latest builds. This is the version zoyd links to in his sig, and is the version you should use.
post #3157 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I agree. The OP need to be updated to reflect the current version.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #3158 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

version 3 using new drivers and meter handling code described here.
version 3 has the same real-time displays as version 2 so you need to know which way your controls move each calibration point in xyY.

Excellent. Thanks. Looks like I should start here. http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_MSWindows.html

Build Thread:
post #3159 of 4431 Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I've been a Samsung guy for a long time, so I'm not familar with your set. I don't know how bad the interpolation is in Movie mode, but I'd fully calibrate both modes and decide which trade-off to settle on. Me personally, would take some interpolation and a perfectly set gray scale and gamma (the most important part of all of this in my opinion) over the alternative. But then again I don't know how bad the interpolation actually is on your set. I would definately get both modes calibrated as best you can and choose which one you like the best.

Agreed. I should try both.

Build Thread:
post #3160 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 AM

Liked: 18
@rahzel

Thanks for the clarification.

Will use v3.1.0.5 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/

Thanks
Roland
post #3161 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Notes relating to versions > 3.0.4.0

The download folder contains an installable package. Run HCFR_setup.exe
Note: the installation exe will also install color correction sample sets (ccss) to[APPDATA]\color folder and color correction matrix files for some commonly used displays/probes to the Etalon_Argyll subdir.
My Etalon_Argyll folder is empty, should it contain anything?
post #3162 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excellent. Thanks. Looks like I should start here. http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_MSWindows.html

Or you can simply replace your current driver with the one from the HCFR drivers subfolder, you don't need the full Argyll package unless you want to use it on it's own.

-----

post #3163 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

My Etalon_Argyll folder is empty, should it contain anything?

No, those notes need to be updated for the current version. specific probe matrix corrections should be created by the user if he/she has access to a spectometer.

-----

post #3164 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

I agree. The OP need to be updated to reflect the current version.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Can a mod transfer ownership of the OP to me so I can keep it current?
10k likes this.

-----

post #3165 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, those notes need to be updated for the current version. specific probe matrix corrections should be created by the user if he/she has access to a spectometer.
I installed an older version now which did contain files there. But you are saying that I should remove/not use them for the latest version?

I got an i1Display Pro 3 which I will use with a Samsung plasma.
post #3166 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Personally I would use the plasma ccss correction for plasma available on the next dialog (note the recommendation in the text box wink.gif ). Those matrix corrections may or may not improve accuracy (no way to tell without a spectrometer) but the ccss correction will improve it.

-----

post #3167 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally I would use the plasma ccss correction for plasma available on the next dialog (note the recommendation in the text box wink.gif ). Those matrix corrections may or may not improve accuracy (no way to tell without a spectrometer) but the ccss correction will improve it.
You mean this highlighted selection?
post #3168 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yes

-----

post #3169 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Can a mod transfer ownership of the OP to me so I can keep it current?

If the OP requests it.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
and help support the site. Help Support
post #3170 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

For my Samsung CMS the method I used was to open a new HCFR window, from which I then took CMS measurements. After that I enabled data editing and went into the CMS sheet and edited the readings so that they reflected the rec709 xy coordinates for primaries and secondaries. Then, based on the actual Y reading for white, I manually edited the Y reading until the target Y was achieved (luminance bar graph on bottom left) for primaries and secondaries. With that done I had an HCFR window open with correct xy coordinates and Y target for may particular display. I disabled data editing and set that window as "reference". In the table at the bottom left of the window, you will then have the target RGB readings for the correct xyY targets.

In the other window I went into live reading mode and put up the primary and secondary colors, using the RGB adjustments in my CMS to get to the RGB targets from the window that I edited. It is a little bit of manual work, but it worked very well.

Hope that helps.
Many thanks!! After creating the "reference", it was almost as simple as using the old color bars with percentages! smile.gif
post #3171 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just received my i1 Display Pro (NEC SpectraSensor) and I'm getting the "External EEPRom checksum doesn't match" error.

In Device Manager, the device is listed as "Eye-One Display 3 (Argyll)" which I believe is the correct driver I'm supposed to be using. Any idea what's wrong?

HCFR 3.1.0.5, Argyll 1.6.2
post #3172 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I must admit I don't quite follow the above recipe...after manualy entering xy references and getting the yellow luminance bar read 100% in the selected color window (down left) for each of prime and sec colors and setting this as the reference window, where do I look for RGB targets in the new window where I'm supposed to take live measurements?...
Some pictures would be great...thanks...

And how is Samsung's CMS different from panasonics and does this apply at all to other TVs?...

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030X using Tapatalk
post #3173 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My HTPC is packed up as I am moving so I cannot produce screenshots. When you have your references entered the dE calculation should be pretty close to zero if you did everything correctly. After you turn off data editing, click on one of the columns for one of the primaries that you just entered. In the table of numbers at the bottom left of the HCFR window there is an RGB entry. Those are your RGB targets. When you create a new HCFR window and enter live reading mode with a primary up, it will show the live RGB readings in that table at the bottom left of the window. You then adjust your CMS so that the live RGB readings match the RGB targets you just calculated.

The reason I did it this way is because on my Samsung my CMS controls are RGB controls for each primary and secondary. It was far easier for me to understand which of R,G,B needed adjusting using this method instead of looking at xyY coordinates and targets.

(Last update 5/20/13)

post #3174 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

Just received my i1 Display Pro (NEC SpectraSensor) and I'm getting the "External EEPRom checksum doesn't match" error.

In Device Manager, the device is listed as "Eye-One Display 3 (Argyll)" which I believe is the correct driver I'm supposed to be using. Any idea what's wrong?

HCFR 3.1.0.5, Argyll 1.6.2

not sure about the NEC version of your meter, but the i1d3 does not need any argyl or hcfr drivers, the windows driver for it works in all the software.

post #3175 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

not sure about the NEC version of your meter, but the i1d3 does not need any argyl or hcfr drivers, the windows driver for it works in all the software.
Do you mean the driver which is included on the CD which came with the meter?
Does it matter which I use for HCFR?
post #3176 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've tried both the Argyll driver, and the windows driver that just makes it show up as "USB Device" and both give the same error.
The Argyll release notes back from version 1.3.6 indicate the meter is supported:

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ChangesSummary.html
Quote:
Add support for NEC SpectraSensor Pro version of the i1d3
post #3177 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or you can simply replace your current driver with the one from the HCFR drivers subfolder, you don't need the full Argyll package unless you want to use it on it's own.

Cool. So the drivers folder should look like this? Sorry to be missing the basics....

Build Thread:
post #3178 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

I've tried both the Argyll driver, and the windows driver that just makes it show up as "USB Device" and both give the same error.
The Argyll release notes back from version 1.3.6 indicate the meter is supported:

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ChangesSummary.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Do you mean the driver which is included on the CD which came with the meter?
Does it matter which I use for HCFR?

The i1display pro does not need any drivers installed, the driver from windows 7 shows it as a HID compliant device. The NEC version I'm not familiar with, I would try removing the NEC driver, and the Argyl driver, then plug the meter in and see if windows detects it. open device manager, and expand human Interface Devices, then plug in the meter, if its like the OEM version, another HID-compliant device will appear.

post #3179 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The i1display pro does not need any drivers installed, the driver from windows 7 shows it as a HID compliant device. The NEC version I'm not familiar with, I would try removing the NEC driver, and the Argyl driver, then plug the meter in and see if windows detects it. open device manager, and expand human Interface Devices, then plug in the meter, if its like the OEM version, another HID-compliant device will appear.
Okay, it shows up as "USB Input Device," I will see if I can get it to show up as "HID-compliant device"
post #3180 of 4431 Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Zoyd, could you please explain to me how to stop the Continuous Measures feature? I know what it does and how to use it, but once it starts measuring - there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it as my system becomes unreponsive. Even when I use GDI without background - I can't untick the button or stop the process. Is there a hotkey that stops it? ESC doesn't work...

I thought I was the only one with this problem. I also find when using the "view images" in continuous read the patterns continuously change with each reading. I can't remember which version it last worked correctly in, as I was away from this since 3.0.1.2.

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page