HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #3331 of 4227 Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Just one small suggestion. I ran the latest version tonight, and noticed when stepping though the various levels the system "dings" when the reading is done. It does it on every step but the last one, not sure when the readings are done. I seem to recall the older versions "dinged" at 100% and after the last color slide.

Also noticed my readings are substantially different then the same tests on the same display ran a number of months back. Not sure if it's a driver issue, or a setting issue, the display does not look any different than it did before yet latest reading show blue levels far below what they were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 4227 Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey new friends... downloaded HCFR, plugged in my new i1 pro and it was installed and available to select immediately, chose a generator, took a greyscale measurement... got results so I'm off and running I guess!

I'll give the thread a read and get comfortable before I'm back with real questions, I just wanted to say thanks for making this possible... without your hard work I wouldn't have enough money to learn about this and feed my A/V addiction.

post #3333 of 4227 Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am preparing to calibrate my Epson 5030 with a Color Munki, which has the same general characteristics as the I1 Display3. The matrix correction files that come up (presumably those on board the Color Munki) include the following:

D3 generic white led lcd
D3 generic ccfl lcd
D3 generic plasma
D3 deneric wide ccfl lcd

I see references in this thread to a general LCD projector ccss, and a bulb projector ccss, but I don't seem to have those. Can anyone tell me where I can find one? I have the edr to ccss transformed files that Zoyd provided. Would it be just as good to use the "Projector Family" ccss that he provided? If so, can I just copy it into the "tools" folder, where my i1d3ccss.exe is found?

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
post #3334 of 4227 Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I think you should have it/put it in "users/your user/appdata/roaming/color"

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030X using Tapatalk
post #3335 of 4227 Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

I think you should have it/put it in "users/your user/appdata/roaming/color"

I replaced my old version of HCFR with the latest (3.1.0.7). The only HCFR files that are referenced in the Users\ path are the .chc, colormeasures, files. When I calibrated a Sharp DLP in 2007 and then my Panasonic Plasma last year, I thought I put my ccss files somewhere in the HCFR Calibration folder (Program Files (X86). Is there some reason ccss files should go in such an out of the way path?

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
post #3336 of 4227 Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

I think that's where argyll installed .ccss that I converted from .edr via dispcal...seems HCFR automatically picks them up since it also uses argyll...zoyd should be more precise than me in explaining...

post #3337 of 4227 Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Are there any HCFR specific files to calibrate a sammy plasma d8000??
Which hcfr for dummies starter files or howtoo do you guys reccommend to a total newby?

I really have NO idea where to start Any suggestions???rolleyes.gif
post #3338 of 4227 Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post

Which hcfr for dummies starter files or howtoo do you guys reccommend to a total newby?

Go to the first page of this thread and read any or all of the first "useful links" articles on calibration. They do a really good job of explaining the process and leading you through it. I am no expert, but the only additional files might be the driver for your colormeter and a ccss file. The ccss file you can use depends on the colormeter you will be using. Read post 507 for a quick explanation of ccss and see the index in post 1 for more info. I would read the "useful links" articles before dealing with HCFR.

post #3339 of 4227 Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post

I wrote this for calibrating the Samsung D series using the version 2.1 of HCFR but the methodology will still apply.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333561/samsung-d7000-d8000-settings-calibration-thread/2880#post_22299923

Larry
post #3340 of 4227 Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:

I think that's where argyll installed .ccss that I converted from .edr via dispcal...seems HCFR automatically picks them up since it also uses argyll...zoyd should be more precise than me in explaining...

Thanks, I found them. The fact that they are hidden and I had to specify the path in "run" before I could see them, threw me. The problem is that "display type" is grayed out in the Argyll Meter Property Page (drop down menu in HCFR). Moreover, the ccss files I found in the roaming/color folder do not appear in the drop down menu for meter correction files. My Color Munki is being recognized and seems to be working with HCFR, but it is not recognizing these correction files.

post #3341 of 4227 Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

I wrote this for calibrating the Samsung D series using the version 2.1 of HCFR but the methodology will still apply.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333561/samsung-d7000-d8000-settings-calibration-thread/2880#post_22299923

Larry

orwellflash and larry in ri thanx guys for the effort.

Rob:D
post #3342 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwellflash View Post

Moreover, the ccss files I found in the roaming/color folder do not appear in the drop down menu for meter correction files. My Color Munki is being recognized and seems to be working with HCFR, but it is not recognizing these correction files.

You should be able to select the correction presets in the third screen (after you press "finish" on the sensor selection window) ...it pays to read through this thread even though it is huge since all of this has already been covered as I recall...

post #3343 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:

You should be able to select the correction presets in the third screen (after you press "finish" on the sensor selection window) ...it pays to read through this thread even though it is huge since all of this has already been covered as I recall...

OK, after reading through a lot, but not all (thankfully), of this thread and argyll's documentation I still couldn't get my "display type" drop down menu to work (grayed out). I went back and reloaded the last version of HCFR that I used successfully (3.0.5). Fixed the problem! Except that I got an error message "wrong path specified for unnamed file". Then it occurred to me to get my meter out of diffuser/ambient mode by rotating the diffuser down from my colormeter. Bingo! I went back to the latest version of HCFR and the Display Type drop down menu appeared-- I am in business. The ccss files in the "apps/ roaming/color" folder still don't appear anywhere in HCFR's drop down menus, but I assume that I don't need them.eek.gif

post #3344 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

OK, after reading through a lot, but not all (thankfully), of this thread and argyll's documentation I still couldn't get my "display type" drop down menu to work (grayed out). I went back and reloaded the last version of HCFR that I used successfully (3.0.5). Fixed the problem! Except that I got an error message "wrong path specified for unnamed file". Then it occurred to me to get my meter out of diffuser/ambient mode by rotating the diffuser down from my colormeter. Bingo! The Display Type drop down menu appeared, and I am in business. The ccss files in the "apps/ roaming/color" folder still don't appear anywhere in HCFR's drop down menus, but I assume that I don't need them.eek.gif

haha that had me stumped for a few mins too. Till I gave in and read that little instruction manual that came with the meter.... I just had no idea it rotated even though in hindsight it's pretty obvious!

post #3345 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

haha that had me stumped for a few mins too. Till I gave in and read that little instruction manual that came with the meter.... I just had no idea it rotated even though in hindsight it's pretty obvious!

I knew how to work the diffuser because I've had this meter for a year, using it to calibrate my plasma, but I didn't realize that having it in diffuser mode affected the menu availability in HCFR.

post #3346 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

I knew how to work the diffuser because I've had this meter for a year, using it to calibrate my plasma, but I didn't realize that having it in diffuser mode affected the menu availability in HCFR.

Same here initially. I think it causes confusion because a new user's natural tendency is to start HCFR before moving the defuser, just to make sure everything is working. And they hit this problem where it apparently isn't working. Why not just offer the choice of display type anyway, unless the user explicitly checks a box for ambient light mode?
post #3347 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Same here initially. I think it causes confusion because a new user's natural tendency is to start HCFR before moving the defuser, just to make sure everything is working. And they hit this problem where it apparently isn't working. Why not just offer the choice of display type anyway, unless the user explicitly checks a box for ambient light mode?

Yes, I just attached my meter so that I could see if I could get the correction files I needed. It didn't occur to me to worry about what mode the meter was in. But this must be a fairly uncommon problem, and minor in the overall scheme of things (wonderfully skilled and generous volunteer labor improving HCFR and making it work with Argyll).

post #3348 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 AM

calibration.pdf 105k .pdf file

Hi guys! I have tried to calibrate my tv using HCFR with X-Rite i1 display pro...I have attached the log from HCFR and wanted to ask if there are some obvious things I could do to improve the image? And what is the quality of the current calibration? Good, okay, bad...?

Would appreciate some advice!

Have a great weekend!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf calibration.pdf (104.8 KB, 28 views)
post #3349 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM

Liked: 16
I would lower the contrast a little bit. 135cd/m2 is quite a lot and it could do eye's fatigue.
You should do a saturation sweep and color checker and post the results here. wink.gif
post #3350 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM

I will try to check the saturation, but I am not sure how to perform the color checker...Because I am not sure where to find the patterns that HCFR lists when choosing color checker...Can you help?

post #3351 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, after reading through a lot, but not all (thankfully), of this thread and argyll's documentation I still couldn't get my "display type" drop down menu to work (grayed out). I went back and reloaded the last version of HCFR that I used successfully (3.0.5). Fixed the problem! Except that I got an error message "wrong path specified for unnamed file". Then it occurred to me to get my meter out of diffuser/ambient mode by rotating the diffuser down from my colormeter. Bingo! I went back to the latest version of HCFR and the Display Type drop down menu appeared-- I am in business. The ccss files in the "apps/ roaming/color" folder still don't appear anywhere in HCFR's drop down menus, but I assume that I don't need them.eek.gif

That's exactly what I proposed some time ago to someone with the same problem on this very thread but this time around I guess I misunderstood the symptoms you reported...but most solutions ARE out there in this thread after all biggrin.gif
post #3352 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

... realize that having it in diffuser mode affected the menu availability in HCFR.
Quote:

I think it causes confusion because a new user's natural tendency is to start HCFR before moving the defuser, just to make sure everything is working. ... Why not just offer the choice of display type anyway, unless the user explicitly checks a box for ambient light mode?
Quote:

It didn't occur to me to worry about what mode the meter was in. But this must be a fairly uncommon problem, and minor in the overall scheme of things (wonderfully skilled and generous volunteer labor improving HCFR and making it work with Argyll).

Apologies for the quote overload, but I agree with all of the above - most notably the wonderfully skilled and generous volunteer labor improving HCFR....

I think it's a cute option, but useful only if you regularly swap between contact and ambient measures, but even then not sure you'd always want it to be automatic.

I trips me up every time, because I prefer to have the lens protected by the diffuser before I deploy it to the screen, and often just want to tinker with a workspace within HCFR.

It's great that the software notifies you, but would be better if there were say an Ok and an Ignore option, so you could either accept the ambient configuration, or just proceed with the contact configuration.

I appreciate it's extra work for something relatively minor, but as this is a recently introduced feature its worth considering some additional UX, especially given that it creates extra steps to 'undo' the smarts.

Cheers
Roland
post #3353 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

It's being context sensitive.

This is a limitation imposed by the ArgyllCMS driver. The particular API returns the available selection for the current instrument configuration. This is particularly relevant for the ColorMunki spectro wich has 4 possible configurations, not just 2. There is another API that returns all possible selections, but then you end up with the opposite UI problem - the user selects something and then gets an error message when they come to use it, and complain "why did you let me select it if you knew it wasn't going to work ?".
post #3354 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 PM

Liked: 101
I would love to see this support the C3 meter. Sorry if it's the wrong forum to post this. Just would really like to try this software.
Thanks and good day all...
post #3355 of 4227 Old 02-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

I would love to see this support the C3 meter.
Have you tried it ?
post #3356 of 4227 Old 02-22-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Code:
Connecting to the instrument ..
Instrument initialisation failed with 'Not expected instrument model' (Not a i1
Display)!
post #3357 of 4227 Old 02-22-2014, 05:25 PM

Liked: 15

When I try to apply a correction matrix - I get a "Wrong of conflicting setup" error. What is wrong? Does that mean that the correction matrix is not applied when making measurements? I simply pick a correction matrix done with i1Pro for my i1D3 from the Display Type list and get that error. I also get it before the start of any measurement.

Zoyd, could you please share any outstanding issues that you will be working on or any features you will try to add in your further update releases? Frankly, after the near-black level fix, I can't find any bugs. I did think of just a few things to add:

1. Independent color saturation level measurement

2. Basic workflow

3. Improved graphics/skins 

The last 2 are just to make HCFR a bit newbie friendly, but the first one is important to functionality.

post #3358 of 4227 Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That message occurs if you choose a display type that's available via a ccmx file, haven't had time to fix it. You need to create the correction file in HCFR, save it and then load it via the apply meter correction file dialog. Then choose either refresh or non-refresh display type.

I might add support for the Color Checker SG patterns but no other plans atm.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #3359 of 4227 Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zoyd, while on the topic of minor bugs or feature additions,
- would it be possible to add DCI-P3 as one of the color space references (some projectors, such my JVC Dila HD750, can deliver this video gamut)?
- would it be possible to make the test patterns work with madVR (even the static patterns do not work reliably on my machine and usually require killing HCFR to regain control)

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the latest HCFR version (and support for madVR)
post #3360 of 4227 Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post

Zoyd, while on the topic of minor bugs or feature additions,
- would it be possible to add DCI-P3 as one of the color space references (some projectors, such my JVC Dila HD750, can deliver this video gamut)?
This would not be too difficult so maybe, do you have source material in this gamut?
Quote:
- would it be possible to make the test patterns work with madVR (even the static patterns do not work reliably on my machine and usually require killing HCFR to regain control)

What problems are you having, displaying patterns to madVR (either directly or using madTPGenerator) has always worked perfectly for me.
Quote:
Otherwise, I'm very happy with the latest HCFR version (and support for madVR)

Thanks!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page