HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 137 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #4081 of 4089 Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THank you for your reply.

Two further questions:

1. Do I need to ever change the Colour Space Reference in HCFR preferences from REC709 to REC709 (75%)?

2. Using HCFR, how do I check color luminance? I assume hue and saturation are used to place the white dot on the reference points on the CIE chart using free measures, but what about luminance?

Sorry...still figuring this stuff out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4089 Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Luminance doesn't show up on the CIE chart. You'd have to look at the individual measurements for luminance in the Measures view in the window with x,y,Y, and delta E values. Luminance is Y out of the x,y,Y in that window. There's also the Saturation - Luminance graph too once you're measured the 0, 25, 50, 75, & 100% points for RGB & CMY.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 07-23-2014 at 04:07 AM.
post #4083 of 4089 Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@omenII : Finished the calibration of the 55W905A I had access too -

meter was the i1d3, correction used was White LED;

The device had access blue in huge volumes (warm 1 measured above 10.000k), so the warm 2 D65 whitepoint calibration came to

0,-4,-9;0,0,-1

Upon which all colors just fell in place (everything below dE2 in greyscale (below 1.5), colors (near 1), saturations. Color checker SC with average of dE 1 and a max of below 3. Neither color or tint had to be moved (LEDdimming to low, Motion to Clear, brightness 50, Contrast 98).

The excess blue freaked me somewhat - even to the point I would have bet that you cant measure these quantum dots devices with i1d3s, because I had never seen anything alike. Allthough color reproduction in critical viewing looked good... The Tv had been a on display modell before, so maybe a color shift? But that much?.... (Warm 1 at 10000K).

Graphs - before and after:
post #4084 of 4089 Old 07-24-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello together,

i have found a bug in the export feature for xls- and csv-files.

the exported deltaE-numbers on the GrayscaleSheet are not correct, except in row of 30%.

I am using Version 3.15.

greetings termi
post #4085 of 4089 Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How do you collect the graphs like that to post?
post #4086 of 4089 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
It's difficult to say anything meaningful given a comment like this. You'll need to provide more data and an explanation of exactly which data values you don't understand. Note that the gray scale grid values are not updated during continuous measures so they will be different from what you see real time. The magnitude of the difference depends on probe and display stability between measurements. If you see large differences perhaps you have an adjustment menu displayed during continuous measures that is not present during the automated run. This can affect readings on some displays, most notably plasmas and CRTs.
Zoyd, I am also seeing some issues with reported Delta E values during free/spot measures. Let me explain the issue:

1. Firstly, I did a gray scale measurement using internal pattern generator. 100% IRE had x=0.3125, y=0.3251 and Y=139.196. The reported deltaE in the table was 2.7, consistent with the cylindrical bar representation of dE for the measurement (which also listed 2.7).

2. Then, I did a single measure, again using the internal pattern generator for only 100% IRE. When I view the results in the "Free Measures" view, the reported values are: x=0.3125, y=0.3252, and Y=138.706. However, the delta E value listed in the table is 30! But, if I click on this free measure data set and look at the cylindrical bar representation, the dE bar lists dE=3.2.

To me, this certainly seems like a bug? The cylindrical bar representation lists the correct dE values I would expect, but the Free Measures table seems to be listing erroneous delta E values. I can try to post pictures later if it would help. I have double checked this multiple times and it does seem to be a bug unless I am missing something.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #4087 of 4089 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think I must of had "use measured values" checked in the gamma settings. Not sure but think that was my problem
post #4088 of 4089 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Zoyd, I am also seeing some issues with reported Delta E values during free/spot measures. Let me explain the issue:

1. Firstly, I did a gray scale measurement using internal pattern generator. 100% IRE had x=0.3125, y=0.3251 and Y=139.196. The reported deltaE in the table was 2.7, consistent with the cylindrical bar representation of dE for the measurement (which also listed 2.7).

2. Then, I did a single measure, again using the internal pattern generator for only 100% IRE. When I view the results in the "Free Measures" view, the reported values are: x=0.3125, y=0.3252, and Y=138.706. However, the delta E value listed in the table is 30! But, if I click on this free measure data set and look at the cylindrical bar representation, the dE bar lists dE=3.2.

To me, this certainly seems like a bug? The cylindrical bar representation lists the correct dE values I would expect, but the Free Measures table seems to be listing erroneous delta E values. I can try to post pictures later if it would help. I have double checked this multiple times and it does seem to be a bug unless I am missing something.

That's because the free measures table is not meant for real-time targeting. The program will only know for sure what your target is when on the grayscale or primaries table.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #4089 of 4089 Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
That's because the free measures table is not meant for real-time targeting. The program will only know for sure what your target is when on the grayscale or primaries table.
Hi Zoyd, thanks for clarifying that. Is there any utility for the Delta E entry for Free Measure table in that case? Also, why is the graphical dE value different from the one in the table and do either matter? Perhaps it might be good to consider removing them if they serve no purpose as they are a bit confusing.

I also have another issue that is really bothering/confusing me. I managed to get all my primaries and secondaries to match up really well at 100% saturation. However, I noticed that all the colors are under saturated as per the CIE chart shown in HCFR. What I don't understand is that the xy target co-ordinates for 75% saturation in HCFR do not seem to match up with stereomandan's Excel file and his excellent guide on targeting 75% saturation for calibration here. For example, as per the CIE chart in HCFR, 75% saturation red should have xy co-ordinates of 0.566,0.330. However, Tom's excel file and posts on his thread indicate that 75% saturation red should have co-ordinates of 0.558, 0.330. From looking at his thread, it looks like Tom Huffman also vetted the Excel sheet/calcs. In my case, my 25, 50 and 75% saturation readings line up quite well against the targets in the Excel sheet but are quite off in comparison to the targets in HCFR.

Could you help me understand the source of this discrepancy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Predicted_75_Sat_Targets.jpg (59.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HCFR_75_Sat_Target.jpg (106.6 KB, 4 views)
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page