HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 143 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #4261 of 4289 Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Changing it from 0 to 25 killed my contrast ratio. It makes the 0% reading much brighter (IIRC, 0.014) and raises the whole gamma curve. Doesn't seem to affect the colors much.
That's how Samsungs work, the contrast ratio is lower when viewing average screen content than when viewing dark scenes. You might want to see if any of the black optimizer settings affect the black level with the 25% APL patterns.

The measured average gamma rising with APL is a general characteristic of plasmas.

Did you happen to notice if you still needed the long latency when using these patterns?

-----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4289 Old 09-18-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Latency still made a difference, though it wasn't as dramatic (probably because the black wasn't as black).
I'll keep it high; it's not like it makes that much a difference in the duration of the sweeps.
And I guess I shouldn't bother trying to recalibrate it to this APL, so I now have some time for a movie!

I've played with black optimizer settings before:
Samsung PN60F5300B Settings And What They Do
I guess the whole point to "auto" settings like that is that they change things on the fly, so trying to calibrate to it is a crapshoot.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #4263 of 4289 Old 09-18-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Changing it from 0 to 25 killed my contrast ratio.
It doesn't change the way the plasma works, or how it will look in real content. It just changes the measurement results. Supposedly you should calibrate a plasma with APL patterns since they're more representative of real world content.

Last edited by Stereodude; 09-18-2014 at 12:30 PM.
post #4264 of 4289 Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
I guess the whole point to "auto" settings like that is that they change things on the fly, so trying to calibrate to it is a crapshoot.
On my F8500, in a dark room, Auto gave me the same performance as Bright Room, not Dark Room. Maybe the ambient light sensor is on the back and my bias light is throwing it off. I'm not sure.
post #4265 of 4289 Old 09-18-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And I guess I shouldn't bother trying to recalibrate it to this APL, so I now have some time for a movie!
APL patterns show you behavior that is more indicative of how the plasma will perform during normal use. I recommend using them to calibrate with.

Quote:
I've played with black optimizer settings before:
Not with APL patterns. The question I ask is if there is any reason to choose one black optimizer setting over another specifically using APL patterns to simulate normal use. Is the minimum luminance (maximum contrast) the same for all settings of this control?

-----

post #4266 of 4289 Old 09-18-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, so I won't watch a movie.
I'll let you know next week.
See, the fun never ends.
Michael

post #4267 of 4289 Old 09-18-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No movie watching for you, must calibrate.

-----

post #4268 of 4289 Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just about ready to buy myself a new colorimeter. Previously, I asked and was told that the X-rite i1 display pro is the one I should buy. Is there a certain rev that works best with HCFR? Just want to make sure I get the right one. Appreciate it.
post #4269 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There aren't different revs of the i1d3, just a retail and an oem version (oem usually costs more) so I suggest the retail version like this. The only advantage of having the oem version that I know of is that it is the only version supported by LightSpace.

-----

post #4270 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
There aren't different revs of the i1d3, just a retail and an oem version (oem usually costs more) so I suggest the retail version like this. The only advantage of having the oem version that I know of is that it is the only version supported by LightSpace.
Thanks Zoyd, I appreciate the info. One other question, I was using an older Spyder 2 with HCFR. I had to use an old Windows XP laptop to get things to work. Can I run HCFR and the X-Rite i1Display Pro under Windows 7? I have a Windows 7 session running under Parallels on my MacBook and was hoping it would work. Appreciate it.
post #4271 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Hi Zoyd, according to this X-Rite i1Profiler 1.5.4 Release Notes I have posted @ May 2014, that software update adds Support for New Version of i1Display Pro (i1Profiler has been updated to support a new revision level of the i1Display Pro hardware and firmware.)

There no more info about what difference or what revision number have the newer meters.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4272 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carillon View Post
Thanks Zoyd, I appreciate the info. One other question, I was using an older Spyder 2 with HCFR. I had to use an old Windows XP laptop to get things to work. Can I run HCFR and the X-Rite i1Display Pro under Windows 7? I have a Windows 7 session running under Parallels on my MacBook and was hoping it would work. Appreciate it.
Not sure why you were having problems with the spyder 2 as it works fine on my win7 laptop as do all supported probes. I have never tested under a virtual OS though so I don't know if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi Zoyd, according to this X-Rite i1Profiler 1.5.4 Release Notes I have posted @ May 2014, that software update adds Support for New Version of i1Display Pro (i1Profiler has been updated to support a new revision level of the i1Display Pro hardware and firmware.)

There no more info about what difference or what revision number have the newer meters.
Thanks Ted.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

-----

post #4273 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No movie watching for you, must calibrate.
Orion has done some tests with APL:
Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings?

He didn't change his calibration, though. I'm interested in seeing what effect that has.
You're right, movies are overrated, anyway.
Michael

post #4274 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Not with APL patterns. The question I ask is if there is any reason to choose one black optimizer setting over another specifically using APL patterns to simulate normal use. Is the minimum luminance (maximum contrast) the same for all settings of this control?
Zoyd, not sure if you saw this when I'd posted in the 60F5300 thread a while back: Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings?

Doesn't exactly answer your question, but I thought it was pretty interesting to note the differences between BO set to Dark Room, Auto and Bright Room.
post #4275 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
He didn't change his calibration, though. I'm interested in seeing what effect that has.
Well, seeing as you have the enthusiasm to test things out I decided I'd rather let you wander down that rabbit hole
post #4276 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

No problem.
Zoyd has a gun to my head.

post #4277 of 4289 Old 09-19-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Zoyd, not sure if you saw this when I'd posted in the 60F5300 thread a while back: Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings?

Doesn't exactly answer your question, but I thought it was pretty interesting to note the differences between BO set to Dark Room, Auto and Bright Room.

Thanks for pointing that out, I haven't been keeping on eye on the display forum so I missed those measurements. I guess the final answer on F series floating blacks is still out until you test using the random patterns. Another neat way to test it is to grab a variety of movie images off the web (from dimly lit to normal to bright) and then set each one as your extended desktop background for a black level measurement. To do this in HCFR switch the GDI generator to GDI(no background) and the window image will be overlaid on your video image.

-----

post #4278 of 4289 Old 09-20-2014, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The next time you get around to a total rewrite , please consider moving the dialog boxes off to the side.
Why? Because, every time a dialog pops up, it's right in the middle of the screen, BEHIND MY METER, and I have to move it over.
Just wanted you to have something to do while I recalibrate the set and run the APL patterns.
Michael

post #4279 of 4289 Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Just made more work for myself.
I noticed the same dialogue box has a radio button to change from limited (16-whatever) to full (0-255) output. Changing it to full made a DRAMATIC difference in my gamma curve, which means, I guess, that the settings on my HTPC are correct. So I'm recalibrating anyway!
I'll check black optimizer after that.
<sigh>
Michael

post #4280 of 4289 Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The next time you get around to a total rewrite , please consider moving the dialog boxes off to the side.
Why? Because, every time a dialog pops up, it's right in the middle of the screen, BEHIND MY METER, and I have to move it over.
Just wanted you to have something to do while I recalibrate the set and run the APL patterns.
Michael
The program is not really set-up well for running it on the same screen that you are calibrating but there won't be any rewrite anytime soon, sorry.

Quote:
Just made more work for myself.
I noticed the same dialogue box has a radio button to change from limited (16-whatever) to full (0-255) output. Changing it to full made a DRAMATIC difference in my gamma curve, which means, I guess, that the settings on my HTPC are correct. So I'm recalibrating anyway!
I'll check black optimizer after that.
<sigh>
Michael
It's always something. When using the PC generator it's always important to verify the levels are correct, usually the easiest way to do this is run a grayscale and make sure that 0% and 100% are where you expect them to be.

-----

post #4281 of 4289 Old 09-21-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The program is not really set-up well for running it on the same screen that you are calibrating but there won't be any rewrite anytime soon, sorry.
Actually, it runs beautifully. Compared to adding another screen, I will be very happy just moving the dialogue boxes, thank you very much.

Quote:
...make sure that 0% and 100% are where you expect them to be.
You're assuming I know where to expect them to be.
It turns out that "full" output on the video driver gives me a gamma curve I couldn't correct between now and Doomsday, so I went back to "limited" (or "default," something else I have to try). But running HCFR 0 - 255 still gives me BTB and WTW.

Though I'm not ready to cast this in stone yet, it appears that "black optimizer" actually affects whites, not blacks. It seems to lower/brighten the gamma curve at the light end, so, in a bright room, you get more light output than in a dark room, but the blacks are still the same black.

Michael

post #4282 of 4289 Old 09-21-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Uploaded a minor upgrade version 3.1.6
+ Added selection of % input [BT.1886] offset to use in transfer function target, the remainder is output offset
+ Changed selected color display precision to 3 decimals for cd/m^2 field
+ Temporary fix to allow running a matrix corrected probe sheet alongside a ccss corrected probe (i1Display pro (D3) only)
+ Fixed rollover of APL values at high end of scale
+ Fixed change meter selection not working
+ Changed Relative BT.1886 label to Effective
harlekin likes this.

-----

post #4283 of 4289 Old 09-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Yes - I had to modify ArgyllCMS earlier in the year to cope with the Rev B i1d3's - they seem to have broken the EEProm chechksum, which was fine in the Rev A's. There was no other obvious difference.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #4284 of 4289 Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Two bugs I found with the most current build.

1. HCFR reads "too fast". When having set it to use a DVD as a source device you get these pop up windows which ask you to change patterns. When clicking OK - Windows takes some time to "phase out" the OK prompt itself, while HCFR is already reading.

I found this - because I was measuring my video players output after a new intel driver install and therefore used a video as the pattern source and not the built in pattern generator.

The error averages out at 0% ire (black), but 10-50% ire got significantly wrong readings every time I measured. At 60% and above it seemed to average out again. It was only after some time that I noticed that HCFR might pick up the not already "desolved" ok prompt in windows - and sure enough, when I moved the prompt each time, before hitting ok (it always appears in the center of the desktop), readings were fine.

Btw - this MIGHT also effect HCFRs readings for 0% ire (black), or red, or ... even if you use HCFR itself as the pattern generator - because there is an OK prompt before as well.

@zoyd : I'm not sure how you should handle this one as the chances that someone would use HCFR as the measurement tool on the same device as he/she was measuring the video source - at the same time - while _not_ using HCFR as a pattern generator are slim, and also you can already circumvent the problem by moving the ok prompt in each step beforehand - but still, maybe a delay? (Dont especially like that one either...)

2. Your "yellow play symbol averaging on the softwares side" thingy is still active all the time after you start HCFR, even though the symbol shows it as deactivated. I have to manually deactivate it every time I start HCFR or else my readings take longer (i1d3 has this built in and doesnt need software side averaging). At which point (the first click), the Play symbol will NOT change to a stop symbol (which is correct) but the message that it "has been disabled" will pop up (also correct) indicating that it was running in the background all along.

Its not a settings thing, as it is persistent through reinstalls. Also it is VERY frustrating, because you _will_ notice your measurements taking excessively longer, if you forget to turn it off again...

Last edited by harlekin; Yesterday at 06:46 AM.
post #4285 of 4289 Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Though I'm not ready to cast this in stone yet, it appears that "black optimizer" actually affects whites, not blacks. It seems to lower/brighten the gamma curve at the light end, so, in a bright room, you get more light output than in a dark room, but the blacks are still the same black.
Okay, I'm done.
No, I don't believe that either, but I may actually be ready to move the tripod out of the family room.

For the ambitious, change your color checker pattern generator to CCSG, which stands for "You really need to get out more often," and, after 126 readings, you get:

My average dE is 1.05, with dE(max) = 2.40, so I'm DONE.

Maybe.

As to black optimizer, I'll summarize it here but I think further discussion probably belongs in the Samsung threads.

So it seems that a good option for daytime viewing, rather than change gamma, might be to change Black optimizer (which might actually be what it's designed for! ).

With APL at 25%, contrast drops to between 3400 and 3950:1 and 0% increases to .013ftL.
Since I have no idea how that applies to anything, I have my data attached so zoyd (or anyone else so inclined) can make sense of it.

BTW, changing the latency time to 1000 and the sensor integration time to 1.0 sec greatly improved the reliability of my individual color sweeps relative to full color sweeps.

Michael
Attached Files
File Type: zip APO0.zip (9.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: zip APO25.zip (9.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; Yesterday at 07:18 AM.
post #4286 of 4289 Old Today, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would appreciate help setting up HCFR to use its internal pattern generator.

I set my computer to extended desktop. both my computer and display tv run at native resolution but when HCFR send patterns to the display it sends them at the computer's resolution so the pattern does not fill the entire screen area of the display. Do know how to fix this. thanks.
post #4287 of 4289 Old Today, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Check that view images->target screen is set to your extended desktop and not the primary screen.

-----

post #4288 of 4289 Old Today, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Check that view images->target screen is set to your extended desktop and not the primary screen.
Target screen was set to Generic PnP monitor. when set to computer display , pattern display correctly on my computer. when set to other option ( Generic PnP Monitor ) problem still persists. computer resolution on the tv.
post #4289 of 4289 Old Today, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The resolution sent is a function of the video card, not HCFR, so I would there for a solution.

-----

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page