HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 177 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 125Likes
post #5281 of 5294 Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HCFR vs I1Pro Drivers

Hi,
Sorry to bust into the thread like this, but I'm having problems getting HCFR (V3.1.6)to recognize my I1 Pro Spectro (Rev. D). HCFR recognizes my I1 Display Pro, but if I can't get the Spectro running, I can't get the colorimeter profiled. The .dll files from I1 Diagnostics are loaded into the default directory for HCFR, but so far HCFR only provides a 'simulated sensor' option with the Spectro connected. I'm sure this has been cussed and discussed somewhere in this thread, but I can't find a search topic to sort through the 5280 posts (5281, now). Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmon View Post
Hi,
Sorry to bust into the thread like this, but I'm having problems getting HCFR (V3.1.6)to recognize my I1 Pro Spectro (Rev. D). HCFR recognizes my I1 Display Pro, but if I can't get the Spectro running, I can't get the colorimeter profiled. The .dll files from I1 Diagnostics are loaded into the default directory for HCFR, but so far HCFR only provides a 'simulated sensor' option with the Spectro connected. I'm sure this has been cussed and discussed somewhere in this thread, but I can't find a search topic to sort through the 5280 posts (5281, now). Thanks for any help!
You don't need the .dll file. You need to install the ArgyllCMS driver for the i1Pro via your Windows device-manager. The driver file (and .inf) should have been copied into you HCFR directory tree ... don't recall the exact location at the moment, but it should be easy enough to find. This process will "replace" the x-rite driver for the i1Pro, so you won't be able to use the x-rite software in this configuration.

The specific step-by-step is around here somewhere.
post #5283 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

Many thanks! The Device Manager installed the ArgyllCMS driver and now HCFR gives me the choice of either the I1 Pro or the I1 Display Pro. Unfortunately, when I select I1 Pro, it pops up an init_inst error: 'EEProm key table seems to be corrupted'. Of course, this means absolutely nothing to me (I could go to the hardware store and get a new EEProm key table - LOL). However, I suspect the EEProm in question is in the I1 Pro and may either be a hardware problem or it may be the Argyll software. I noted that there is an 'ArgyllCMS_x64' driver and I am using Win 7 64 bit, but when Device Manager installed the driver, it didn't give me an opportunity to choose which driver. Any ideas?
post #5284 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Many thanks! The Device Manager installed the ArgyllCMS driver and now HCFR gives me the choice of either the I1 Pro or the I1 Display Pro. Unfortunately, when I select I1 Pro, it pops up an init_inst error: 'EEProm key table seems to be corrupted'. Of course, this means absolutely nothing to me (I could go to the hardware store and get a new EEProm key table - LOL). However, I suspect the EEProm in question is in the I1 Pro and may either be a hardware problem or it may be the Argyll software. I noted that there is an 'ArgyllCMS_x64' driver and I am using Win 7 64 bit, but when Device Manager installed the driver, it didn't give me an opportunity to choose which driver. Any ideas?
That's a new one to me. As I understand it, there's only one ArgyllCMS driver that covers all devices. Graeme, Zoyd .... any thoughts?
post #5285 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I am having some serious problems matching the greyscale and color using HCfR to display patterns. I calibrated using the GCD disc in my bluray player. I was able to dial in the grey scale with a DE of only .17 average (not bad at all). After I finished my color calibration also using the bluray player I decided to use the CCSG 96 patch letting HCFR do the work since manually it would take a long time. After the run the DE was very large. Then I decided to check all the colors. All have De around 15. Checking back with the bluray and it still reads sub 1 for most all colors. I went into my Intel options and selected YCBCR turned on thinking this would fix it and nothing changed. I then selected limited range in HcFR and still nothing. I've gone through every combination of settings I can think of to get the two to agree with one another. What am I missing here? I also ensured that all processing was turned off in the DVD player. It is driving me crazy that I can not get the two to agree. If I could find the right settings to allow HCFR to display the patter and I could trust what the output is it would save me a ton of time. Can anyone chime in and let me know what else I could try to make this work?
post #5286 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 468
@superkyle - even if you have the video card levels set correctly you'll need to make sure that it's gain tables are linear. You can use dispcalgui, or madTPG, or dispwin (command line from ArgyllCMS) to do that. Also, most video cards when set to YCC or limited RGB over HDMI will actively scale all output to video levels, which would mean that HCFR should be set to 0-255 for that case.
post #5287 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
@superkyle - even if you have the video card levels set correctly you'll need to make sure that it's gain tables are linear. You can use dispcalgui, or madTPG, or dispwin (command line from ArgyllCMS) to do that. Also, most video cards when set to YCC or limited RGB over HDMI will actively scale all output to video levels, which would mean that HCFR should be set to 0-255 for that case.
Thanks for the info I do keep HCFR at 0-255 although I did try it both ways. I'm unfamiliar with the software but I did just install it. (Dispcalgui that is). I do have a Nvidea gtx680m card but have been instructed by others to stick with integrated(Intel) graphics. So basically you are suggesting to run a calibration of the computer and go from there? I'm assuming that's what the software is doing.
post #5288 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't mean to imply that the graphics card needs a calibration, I meant that you need to make sure it has not been calibrated by loading linear gamma tables to it. That way it will not modify the patterns that HCFR sends.
post #5289 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I can't find anything on the front page but… What was the view on this for having X-Rite profiler installed? Can it mess with the result readings in anyway? Or is it best to have it uninstalled…

As in for external DVD Images/TV.
post #5290 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that the graphics card needs a calibration, I meant that you need to make sure it has not been calibrated by loading linear gamma tables to it. That way it will not modify the patterns that HCFR sends.
I'm thinking that is exactly the problem. I've dug through the settings and cannot find any info on how to reset it other than restore default. The restore default doesn't seem to change anything however as it seems there is a system level calibration or something that I can't alter.
post #5291 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
I have a laptop with integrated Intel graphics and can choose either RGB or YCbCr with a linear gamma of 1.0

I've been using YCbCr and from what you have written in your earlier post, the pattern generator should probably be set to 0-255 in this case.

I am matching against a blue ray player that can be configured for RGB, YCbCr (4:2:2) or YCbCr (4:4:4). I've been using YCbCr (4:4:4) but if there is any reason could use (4:2:2) if it better (that is the native encoding of Bluray 1080p, correct?).

So I guess my question is if YCbCr (4:4:4) from my Bluray player is matching pretty well against the generator using 0-255 and configured for YCbCr with 1.0 linear gamma, is there any reason I may want to use Bluray player on RGB and generator using 16-235 and configured for RGB with 1.0 linear gamma instead?

And my other question surrounds the SKIN ColorChecker patterns - I am able to generate and drive CCSG through Bluray and disk, but when I switch to SKIN, I can generate fine, but when I switch to DVD manual, load up the SKIN patterns on the disk, and try Measure Saturations Color Checker, I get an Initialization Error (but the same sequence works fine with CCSG) -is there anything special I need to do to use SKIN Color Checker patterns on a disk?
post #5292 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Problem solved. The EEProm in question has to be able to do 2-way communication. When the USB cable being used is a POS, the only recourse is to replace it. Having done that, everything is good. Now I have to figure out how to use the two meters and HCFR. A question that comes to mind is the projector calibration where the Spectro wants to be further back that the D3. The separation distance comes from a paper by D. Bird (Spectracal) regarding the viewing angle and a published table showing the respective field of view angles of I1 Pro and D3 (C6). A post in AVS Forum (when fabricating a tripod mount for projector cals) indicates distance between the two meters should be 17 cm. Using a distance of 36 inches from the screen, a 5 inch diameter FOV for the I1 Pro is 6.6 inches for a D3 at the same distance. By calculation, it appears that the separation distance should be more like 21-22 cm for the D3 (C6) to see a 5 inch diameter. Am I missing something? The light opening for the I1 Pro is only 4 mm vs. the D3 which is 25 mm. I wonder if this plays into the difference?
post #5293 of 5294 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok I think I have figured out what is going on. I am able to get the greyscale to agree fairly well but when I go to saturation sweeps the primary and secondary measures line up but in doing the sweep I am getting a DE ABOVE 15 on all colors. It is high due to being too bright for whatever reason (+85 to over 100) I played around with the software and came across a setting under measures/configure/generator called intensity level and AL(video) level. It was originally set to 100% and 0% respectively. Since I am trying to calibrate using 75/75 should I set the intensity value to 75 or leave it alone? How or what can I do to lower the brightness of the readings. Should I reprofile for this output? Would that change my original profile that was produced from the DVD player?
post #5294 of 5294 Unread Today, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I have a laptop with integrated Intel graphics and can choose either RGB or YCbCr with a linear gamma of 1.0

I've been using YCbCr and from what you have written in your earlier post, the pattern generator should probably be set to 0-255 in this case.

I am matching against a blue ray player that can be configured for RGB, YCbCr (4:2:2) or YCbCr (4:4:4). I've been using YCbCr (4:4:4) but if there is any reason could use (4:2:2) if it better (that is the native encoding of Bluray 1080p, correct?).
Bluray is 4:2:0 and for calibration purposes it will not matter which chroma sampling scheme you use.

Quote:
So I guess my question is if YCbCr (4:4:4) from my Bluray player is matching pretty well against the generator using 0-255 and configured for YCbCr with 1.0 linear gamma, is there any reason I may want to use Bluray player on RGB and generator using 16-235 and configured for RGB with 1.0 linear gamma instead?
Whether you use YCC, RGB full or RGB limited shouldn't change where your display controls end up since the differences between the configurations amount to occasional single code differences in quantization levels at the panel which will not be perceivable. If you really want to measure the rounding errors from you Bluray play you should set the PC to an all video level chain which should contain no rounding errors, alternatively you can use madTPG to dither full range output to the correct video level.

Quote:
And my other question surrounds the SKIN ColorChecker patterns - I am able to generate and drive CCSG through Bluray and disk, but when I switch to SKIN, I can generate fine, but when I switch to DVD manual, load up the SKIN patterns on the disk, and try Measure Saturations Color Checker, I get an Initialization Error (but the same sequence works fine with CCSG) -is there anything special I need to do to use SKIN Color Checker patterns on a disk?
The SKIN patterns in HCFR are unique and not contained on any disk. In the near future there will be an option added to run the skin tone patterns from CalMan and Chromapure that can be found on Ted's disk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page