HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 178 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Display Devices > Display Calibration > HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software

Display Calibration

fafrd's Avatar fafrd
03:53 PM Liked: 878
post #5311 of 5316
Today | Posts: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Yes, set the pattern generator intensity to 75% in the normal Rec709 colorspace to do that. Again, if you want to run saturations after that you'll need to switch back to 100% intensity.
OK, thanks. Think I understand, but in the interest of certainty, just wanted to be surevI have it right:

1/ for whitepoint and 11-pt greyscale calibration, set pattern generator intensity to 100% because you will be sweeping anyway (and standard for primaries is inconsequential).

2a/ for calibrating primaries & secondaries at 75% / 75%, set the standard to Rec.709 (75% /75%) and set pattern generator to 75%.

2b/ for calibrating at 100% / 100%, standard is set to Rec.709 and generator is set to 100%.

2c/ to calibrate fully saturated primaries /secondaries at 75% luminance, set standard to Rec.709 and set generator to 75%.

2d/ if you ever wanted to calibrate 75% saturated primaries and secondaries at 100% luminance, I suppose you could set reference to Rec.709 (75%/75%) and generator to 100%, butbI am unsure if that would work (or if it makes sense).

3/ before running any saturation sweeps including color checker, standard needs to be set to Rec.709, generator needs to be set to 100%, and measure primaries & secondaries needs to be re-run.

Did I get all of that right?

And by the way, while drilling down into all of these technical details, I just want voice my appreciation for all the excellent work that you and whoever else has contributed to HCFR have done - the more I dive into that application's capability, the more impressed I become
fafrd's Avatar fafrd
04:01 PM Liked: 878
post #5312 of 5316
Quote:
Specific patches to display can only be selected from either the grayscale page or the primaries/secondaries page, not the saturations pages. I hope to upgrade that in the future since it would be handy for dialing in skin tones from colorchecker series.
I'd second that, Zoyd - the real-time capability of greyscale and primaries /secondaries is so fantastic, having that same capability on any of the saturation sweeps (including color checker) would be fantastic (even if only possible by using a disk as the pattern source...).

Another minor complaint I have is that I always lose the bottom line in the upper display window (believe it is displaying delta L % in greyscale) - the scroll bar won't go any further and the height of the upper-most sub-window cannot be expanded. If you don't understand what I am referring to, I can probably attach a screenshot...
zoyd
04:07 PM Liked: 469
post #5313 of 5316
Today | Posts: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Did I get all of that right?
yes for the most part except 2a and 2d. The intensity setting is meant to adjust 100% saturation points only in the normal color spaces, don't lower it for the special 75% color space, although I don't think it does any harm and white will be sent correctly anyway.

Quote:
And by the way, while drilling down into all of these technical details, I just want voice my appreciation for all the excellent work that you and whoever else has contributed to HCFR have done - the more I dive into that application's capability, the more impressed I become
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
the scroll bar won't go any further and the height of the upper-most sub-window cannot be expanded.
There is a little up/down arrow for expanding that window next to the editable data checkbox.
LastButNotLeast's Avatar LastButNotLeast
05:05 PM Liked: 325
post #5314 of 5316
Today | Posts: 5,090
Quote:
There is a little up/down arrow for expanding that window next to the editable data checkbox.
Maybe you should add that to your sig.

fafrd's Avatar fafrd
05:38 PM Liked: 878
post #5315 of 5316
Quote:
yes for the most part except 2a and 2d. The intensity setting is meant to adjust 100% saturation points only in the normal color spaces, don't lower it for the special 75% color space, although I don't think it does any harm and white will be sent correctly anyway.

Thanks!

You are really my hero now! You have no idea how many times I tried expanding this way and that way and scrolling up and down all in the that there was some magic trick or sequence to get that last hidden 'delta luminance' line to appear
zoyd
05:45 PM Liked: 469
post #5316 of 5316
Today | Posts: 5,119
Consider it a rite of passage.

Reply Display Calibration

Subscribe to this Thread