HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 178 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes

post #5311 of 5320 Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Yes, set the pattern generator intensity to 75% in the normal Rec709 colorspace to do that. Again, if you want to run saturations after that you'll need to switch back to 100% intensity.
OK, thanks. Think I understand, but in the interest of certainty, just wanted to be surevI have it right:

1/ for whitepoint and 11-pt greyscale calibration, set pattern generator intensity to 100% because you will be sweeping anyway (and standard for primaries is inconsequential).

2a/ for calibrating primaries & secondaries at 75% / 75%, set the standard to Rec.709 (75% /75%) and set pattern generator to 75%.

2b/ for calibrating at 100% / 100%, standard is set to Rec.709 and generator is set to 100%.

2c/ to calibrate fully saturated primaries /secondaries at 75% luminance, set standard to Rec.709 and set generator to 75%.

2d/ if you ever wanted to calibrate 75% saturated primaries and secondaries at 100% luminance, I suppose you could set reference to Rec.709 (75%/75%) and generator to 100%, butbI am unsure if that would work (or if it makes sense).

3/ before running any saturation sweeps including color checker, standard needs to be set to Rec.709, generator needs to be set to 100%, and measure primaries & secondaries needs to be re-run.

Did I get all of that right?

And by the way, while drilling down into all of these technical details, I just want voice my appreciation for all the excellent work that you and whoever else has contributed to HCFR have done - the more I dive into that application's capability, the more impressed I become
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5320 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Specific patches to display can only be selected from either the grayscale page or the primaries/secondaries page, not the saturations pages. I hope to upgrade that in the future since it would be handy for dialing in skin tones from colorchecker series.
I'd second that, Zoyd - the real-time capability of greyscale and primaries /secondaries is so fantastic, having that same capability on any of the saturation sweeps (including color checker) would be fantastic (even if only possible by using a disk as the pattern source...).

Another minor complaint I have is that I always lose the bottom line in the upper display window (believe it is displaying delta L % in greyscale) - the scroll bar won't go any further and the height of the upper-most sub-window cannot be expanded. If you don't understand what I am referring to, I can probably attach a screenshot...
post #5313 of 5320 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Did I get all of that right?
yes for the most part except 2a and 2d. The intensity setting is meant to adjust 100% saturation points only in the normal color spaces, don't lower it for the special 75% color space, although I don't think it does any harm and white will be sent correctly anyway.

Quote:
And by the way, while drilling down into all of these technical details, I just want voice my appreciation for all the excellent work that you and whoever else has contributed to HCFR have done - the more I dive into that application's capability, the more impressed I become
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
the scroll bar won't go any further and the height of the upper-most sub-window cannot be expanded.
There is a little up/down arrow for expanding that window next to the editable data checkbox.

Last edited by zoyd; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.
post #5314 of 5320 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
There is a little up/down arrow for expanding that window next to the editable data checkbox.
Maybe you should add that to your sig.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #5315 of 5320 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yes for the most part except 2a and 2d. The intensity setting is meant to adjust 100% saturation points only in the normal color spaces, don't lower it for the special 75% color space, although I don't think it does any harm and white will be sent correctly anyway.

Thanks!

You are really my hero now! You have no idea how many times I tried expanding this way and that way and scrolling up and down all in the that there was some magic trick or sequence to get that last hidden 'delta luminance' line to appear
post #5316 of 5320 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #5317 of 5320 Old Today, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can somebody say - How it possible in v.3.1.6?
I want use this version instead 3.0.4 (where i did it without any problem). But what is wrong with setting and measure white point and DeltasE in latest version? How i should use it right? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-26_12-05-50.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	503393   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-26_12-08-32.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	503401  
post #5318 of 5320 Old Today, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBura View Post
Can somebody say - How it possible in v.3.1.6?
I want use this version instead 3.0.4 (where i did it without any problem). But what is wrong with setting and measure white point and DeltasE in latest version? How i should use it right? Thanks.
The easiest way is to display and measure the pattern from the grayscale sweep page.
post #5319 of 5320 Old Today, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, is it bug in 3.1.6 vs 3.0.4? Or feature?

Ok. The way that you describe is good for set and measure WB in central point of display.
But other than that i need to measure uniformity of LCD panel. With v.3.0.4 i display white color on screen and measure results in 35 points. After that copied this results in MS Excel. In version 3.1.6 it turns out it is not possible ( In one place DeltaE calculate (i think) with taking into account of brightness and in other place (RGB Levels) without.

And yes - in 3.0.4 i can use continuous measures with "Test Color" window and perform unique measure with full fill (100% image area) at same time, without need to change something in Preferences. Now to do this i should set "Display Test Color during measure", but for measure Test Color only on small part of the screen i need to remove this tick in Preferences. Do't you think that it is not convenient?
post #5320 of 5320 Old Today, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Target mode using free measures is not really a supported feature so if it happened to work for your application in a previous version that was a bit of a fluke. This is because it's difficult to know what the target is unless you are running one of the known sweep sequences. Probably this is easiest to do for white because it could always check for that color first. I can take a look and see if there is a quick change that would make it work for white balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration