HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #511 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

1) Yes this is the same regardless of software, this is how most of the colorimeters do their calibration. Don't use a shiny reflective black surface, just a matte black.

2) I believe the VW85 should be non-refresh with lamp based front projection spectral. CRT and Plasma use refresh.

3) You'll use the i1d3ccss.exe in the tools directory to 'unlock' those spectral pre-set tables for greater accuracy (per display type).

Jason

Thank you so much Jason!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd View Post

Version 3.0.4.0

+ Update argyll code to latest version with fixes for i1d3
+ Add support for ccss file with i1d3
+ Various minor memory fixes

Get it here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr...p.exe/download

John

Hello John,

Nice work, we just realize you may not have the latests updates of the initial ColorHCFR sources.
There was quite some non-public work done, especially around Argyll integration and a few bug correction. Also it allows x, y and Y adjustment in direct reading and a few other improvements...

It could be late but worth having a look...

This beta could be downloaded here :
Sources : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...rc_beta166.zip
Exe : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...xe_beta166.zip

Bear in mind this was a beta version (the last one from the original team).

--Patrice

French speaking home theater HCFR Forum
post #513 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by laric View Post

Hello John,

Nice work, we just realize you may not have the latests updates of the initial ColorHCFR sources.
There was quite some non-public work done, especially around Argyll integration and a few bug correction. Also it allows x, y and Y adjustment in direct reading and a few other improvements...

It could be late but worth having a look...

This beta could be downloaded here :
Sources : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...rc_beta166.zip
Exe : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...xe_beta166.zip

Bear in mind this was a beta version (the last one from the original team).

--Patrice

Hi and thanks a lot Patrice, it would certainly be good to pick up any bug fixes and the other improvements although I'll probably leave the argyll code as it is now as it seems to be nearly there. I take a look through the other changes and merge them in.

John

My Company - Upsilon Software
Free Projects - DScaler & hcfr fork
post #514 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappat View Post

Thank you and the others on the team for your hard work!

I'm currently learning about calibration using HCFR and have a question. What does the ccss file do? After reading a bit on the Argyll site, I understand that it is a file that allows the i1d3 to be tuned to a particular display to increase accuracy. Does the user configure this file or is this something already built into HCFR/Argyll?

The i1Display Pro and the Colormunki Display and the Spyder 4 colorimeters all have the spectral sensitivities of their filters encoded in the hardware. So a spectrophotometer can be used to take a generic reading of the display that then allows one of these colorimeters to correct more accurately for this type of display.

X-Rite released 4 generic samples with the i1Profiler software. These are in X-Rites .EDR format. The argyll utility, i1d3ccss.exe, can convert .EDR format files to Argylls .ccss format. In fact, if you have i1Profiler installed, then this utility will automagically locate the .EDR files for you and install them into a location that is common to all the Argyll utilities and in which HCFR looks to find these files. If you don't have i1Profiler installed, it can read them off the installation media. Or you can locate them yourself and just call i1d3ccss -S 1
post #515 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha0tic View Post

The i1Display Pro and the Colormunki Display and the Spyder 4 colorimeters all have the spectral sensitivities of their filters encoded in the hardware. So a spectrophotometer can be used to take a generic reading of the display that then allows one of these colorimeters to correct more accurately for this type of display.

X-Rite released 4 generic samples with the i1Profiler software. These are in X-Rites .EDR format. The argyll utility, i1d3ccss.exe, can convert .EDR format files to Argylls .ccss format. In fact, if you have i1Profiler installed, then this utility will automagically locate the .EDR files for you and install them into a location that is common to all the Argyll utilities and in which HCFR looks to find these files. If you don't have i1Profiler installed, it can read them off the installation media. Or you can locate them yourself and just call i1d3ccss -S 1

If I have installed i1profiler, I just need to double click i1d3ccss.exe in the tools directory, right?

However, after I double click the i1d3ccss.exe, there is still nothing in the Etalon_Argyll directory. Is that OK?

By the way, I did not find any .edr file in the i1profiler directories.
post #516 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 14
The posts this past 24 hours have been addressing multiple issues lingering in the back of my mind... just wasn't sure how to ask the questions. Me and my i1D3 thank everyone here, not just for your input, but for all the questions as well. Cheers.
post #517 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I tried with win7 laptop just to make sure it wasn't my vbox that was screwing things up. Same result, spotread (in tools directory) works fine but driver isn't initialized properly during HCFR start-up, the debug output is a little bit different compared to vbox start-up regarding the libusb "open" call:

Just to reiterate. If you have an i1d3 then you need to run as Administrator, otherwise the Argyll libs can't open the device.
post #518 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Just to reiterate. If you have an i1d3 then you need to run as Administrator, otherwise the Argyll libs can't open the device.

yes, I saw your previous message.
post #519 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightc View Post

If I have installed i1profiler, I just need to double click i1d3ccss.exe in the tools directory, right?

However, after I double click the i1d3ccss.exe, there is still nothing in the Etalon_Argyll directory. Is that OK?

By the way, I did not find any .edr file in the i1profiler directories.

It's best to run i1d3ccss on the command line. Read the Argyll manpage for the i1d3ccss program to understand what it does.

When i1Profiler is installed, the X-Rite .EDR files are located in ":\\Program Files\\X-Rite\\Devices\\i1d3\\Calibrations". i1d3ccss will convert the EDR files and install the converted ccss files into one of the following two directories, either \\ProgramData\\color or somewhere in \\Users\\\\AppData, the former if you specify the -S l flag and the latter if the -S u flag or omit the option.
post #520 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They are reference files/tables that are actually with the meter, you do not configure them. There is an executable with HCFR in the tools directory that allows the tables to be used with HCFR. Basically it shifts some settings around in order to yield more accurate results with each type of display technology (options for plasma, ccfl-lcd, led-lcd (rgb & white), lamp based front projection, etc).

Jason

Thank you both! I will get a chance to test it out this weekend.
post #521 of 4033 Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:

It's best to run i1d3ccss on the command line. Read the Argyll manpage for the i1d3ccss program to understand what it does.

When i1Profiler is installed, the X-Rite .EDR files are located in ":\\Program Files\\X-Rite\\Devices\\i1d3\\Calibrations". i1d3ccss will convert the EDR files and install the converted ccss files into one of the following two directories, either \\ProgramData\\color or somewhere in \\Users\\\\AppData, the former if you specify the -S l flag and the latter if the -S u flag or omit the option.

Thank you! I will try again.
post #522 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 02:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Profiling the i1Pro with HCFR 2.1 and then moving that chc file into HCFR 3.0.4.0 and converting with the i1D3 chc does not work ( *GOT IT WORKING ), I get totally off the wall results with the matrix calibration file (thc).

If I try to reverse the order and send the i1D3 chc over to HCFR 2.1, in order to do the matrix conversion, 2.1 says invalid file format from the chc that came from HCFR 3.0.4.0.

So 3.0.4.0 will take the 2.1 chc file from the i1pro and allow the matrix conversion but that conversion matrix is wrong, must be a bug there somewhere (?).

Jason
post #523 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So 3.0.4.0 will take the 2.1 chc file from the i1pro and allow the matrix conversion but that conversion matrix is wrong, must be a bug there somewhere (?).

Very probably, I must say I haven't tried to do that yet, at the weekend I'll have a go at profiling an old i1d2 with a colormunki and see how I get on.

With the file formats in general you can only go from lower versions to later versions. THe new argyll features meant a version bump in the chc file format. Medium term we'll switch to the argyll ccmx format which will simplify things a bit.

John

post #524 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks John.

I just ran through it 3 more times and on the last attempt it seems to be working somewhat (not sure what happened as I did the exact same process each time). The readings are not the same as CalMan but they are not totally off the wall as they were before. Definitely something strange going on but then I doubt many will attempt what I was trying to do, figured I would mention it anyway just in case it is indeed a bug. I guess this could present itself once the i1pro is fully compatible with HCFR 3.

Thanks again!
Jason
post #525 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:

I have converted the edr files into ccss files, and they are located in a directory under \\users\\user\\appdata.

Should I copy the ccss files into any specific directory under the HCFR folder, or HCFR will find them automatically?
post #526 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 22
Hi,

nice work. I have one question :

when you speak about "colormunki", what model is it ? :

1)
http://www.amazon.fr/X-Rite-Color-Mu...5448872&sr=8-6

2)

http://www.amazon.fr/X-rite-Display-...5448872&sr=8-2

3)

http://www.amazon.fr/Xrite-Color-Mun...5448872&sr=8-1

I'm very interesting in the last (spectrophotometer) but I'm not sure you are working on it.
post #527 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

All three should be supported

1 is a rebadged i1d2
2 is a rebranded i1d3
3 is a colormunki photo (I have this one and it works fine)

John

post #528 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have converted the edr files into ccss files, and they are located in a directory under \\users\\user\\appdata.

Should I copy the ccss files into any specific directory under the HCFR folder, or HCFR will find them automatically?

It should find these fils automatically.

John

post #529 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:

yes, use refresh mode and make sure you hit "calibrate sensor" in the sensor configuration box while the sensor is viewing a pattern so it can sync properly (doesn't matter what intensity level)

Quote:

I remember that in HCFR 2.1, the sensor should be put on a black surface such as a DVD box to calibrate it. Is it same when I use HCFR 3.0.4.0?

Quote:

Yes this is the same regardless of software, this is how most of the colorimeters do their calibration. Don't use a shiny reflective black surface, just a matte black.

Just trying to clarify why one post mentions using a pattern and the intensity level doesn't matter, while post mentions using matte black. I've heard of using the inside of a dvd case before but thought that wasn't necessary with an i1D3. Sorry, I must not be following something correctly.
post #530 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

All three should be supported

1 is a rebadged i1d2
2 is a rebranded i1d3
3 is a colormunki photo (I have this one and it works fine)

John

Hi,

very good news and for the colormunki photo (I have one too), it work without problem with windows 7 ?
post #531 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM

I noticed the i1d3ccss page says in addtion to converting the EDR file to CCSS, it also installs them "where the measurement tools can automatically find them, so that they can be selected using the -X option". Then it goes on to mention using the ARGYLL_COLMTER_CAL_SPEC_SET environment variable if you are going to use the same CCSS file all the time.

I do plan to use the same CCSS file all the time but I'm only reading at this point, so does the above apply with HCFR? Couldn't find any more info on this so I just want to make sure I use the proper CCSS file each time I use HCFR. Thanks.
post #532 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC View Post

Just trying to clarify why one post mentions using a pattern and the intensity level doesn't matter, while post mentions using matte black. I've heard of using the inside of a dvd case before but thought that wasn't necessary with an i1D3. Sorry, I must not be following something correctly.

Depends on the meter. I was referring to the i1D3 which does not require dark calibration but does require syncing to the source when in refresh mode. So with that meter when you hit the "calibrate" button it goes through it's syncing routine. With a meter like the i1pro you need to block the aperture when you calibrate it because it's calculating a dark offset.
post #533 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebes View Post

Hi,

very good news and for the colormunki photo (I have one too), it work without problem with windows 7 ?

It works for me in windows 7 just fine.

John

post #534 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed the i1d3ccss page says in addtion to converting the EDR file to CCSS, it also installs them "where the measurement tools can automatically find them, so that they can be selected using the -X option". Then it goes on to mention using the ARGYLL_COLMTER_CAL_SPEC_SET environment variable if you are going to use the same CCSS file all the time.

I do plan to use the same CCSS file all the time but I'm only reading at this point, so does the above apply with HCFR? Couldn't find any more info on this so I just want to make sure I use the proper CCSS file each time I use HCFR. Thanks.

In the meter dialog page in HCFR it lists the ccss files it finds in the same place that argyll would look. It won't do anything without you explictly selecting it, that environment variable will effect spotread but not HCFR.

John

post #535 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:

It should find these fils automatically.

John

Thank you John.
post #536 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM

Thanks both zoyd and John for your answers.
post #537 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM

Installed i1Profiler to access the .edr files for my i1D3, but none of the files in the i1d3\\Calibrations directory are for a Plasma display...

CCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
ProjectorFamily_07Feb11.edr
RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr
WGCCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
WLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr

Do I have any other options?
post #538 of 4033 Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Use refresh and allow the meter to sync (calibrate) to the display.

Jason
post #539 of 4033 Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Installed i1Profiler to access the .edr files for my i1D3, but none of the files in the i1d3\\Calibrations directory are for a Plasma display...

CCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
ProjectorFamily_07Feb11.edr
RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr
WGCCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
WLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr

Do I have any other options?
I created a spectral sample file using an i1pro on my plasma and the Dispcalgui software. I haven't tried to use it in HCFR yet but you can try it out here.

edit: To install the .ccss file use tools\\i1d3ccss and it will appear as an optional correction file in the i1d3 configuration box. I ran a gray scale using it and it improves the color temperature reading on my display but not as much as a correction matrix(attached) does. It also doesn't get the green primary location as well as the correction matrix.

There is also better agreement when you use the HCFR based method to build the ccmx which uses primaries+secondaries whereas the Dispcalgui builder only uses primaries.

\tCCT [K]\tLuminance [cd/m^2]
i1pro\t6450\t53.8
i1d3(no correction)\t6890\t53
i1d3(ccss corrected)\t6650\t54.3
i1d3(ccmx corrected/HCFR)\t6530\t52.9
i1d3(ccmx corrected/DispCalgui)\t6390\t56.6

d3_i1pro_samsungD8000.mhc.zip 0.435546875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip d3_i1pro_samsungD8000.mhc.zip (446 Bytes, 33 views)
post #540 of 4033 Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:

I created a spectral sample file using an i1pro on my plasma and the Dispcalgui software. I haven't tried to use it in HCFR yet but you can try it out here.

edit: To install the .ccss file use tools\\i1d3ccss and it will appear as an optional correction file in the i1d3 configuration box. I ran a gray scale using it and it improves the color temperature reading on my display but not as much as a correction matrix(attached) does. It also doesn't get the green primary location as well as the correction matrix.

CCT [K] Luminance [cd/m^2]
i1pro 6480 55
i1d3(no correction) 6890 51
i1d3(ccss corrected) 6650 55
i1d3(ccmx corrected) 6538 54

That's excellent zoyd. Someone got onto this even sooner that I was hoping. I'm looking at putting in the functionality to generate ccss files directly from HCFR at the moment (while John works on the more important stuff ). This should make it easier for people to make and upload them so that we hopefully get a big database of files for a wide variety of displays. This one you've made should be a big improvement over not using any correction for a plasma.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page