HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 186 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 160Likes

post #5551 of 5559 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^ I've gone through them all multiple times. No particular reason that I can remember now... Except that I always use the "Res. 1956" one to position my sensor.

Actually, now that you mention you haven't gone through the whole list, that might explain why some of my "asks" a couple weeks ago didn't make sense to you (besides for the usual reasons ).

Last edited by cfraser; Yesterday at 04:10 PM. Reason: got to my HCFR PC to get proper names
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5559 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Is there an "updated" step by step guide on calibrating with HCFR and using the X-Rite i1Display Pro?

I'm using this guide as we speak: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

It seems a little outdated (not only because of the date) because some of the HCFR settings have changed.

This is time consuming! I spent an hour alone on getting contrast and brightness right and I still don't feel like it is right.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #5553 of 5559 Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
Why not add it as a setting when starting measuring? Maybe optional?
this is good idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cont_meas.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	584657  
post #5554 of 5559 Old Today, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Is there an "updated" step by step guide on calibrating with HCFR and using the X-Rite i1Display Pro?

I'm using this guide as we speak: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

It seems a little outdated (not only because of the date) because some of the HCFR settings have changed.

This is time consuming! I spent an hour alone on getting contrast and brightness right and I still don't feel like it is right.
No, there isn't. That's one of the disadvantages of open source software. The fact that the program still exists is due to zoyd's continued efforts, for which he should continue to get thanks from everyone here.
The new guide linked to in that thread is better at explaining the newer technology sets, but focuses more on using commercial software.
Don't spend a lot of time on any aspect of calibration until you've been through the whole process several times. Once you understand what you are doing, it will make more sense and the workflow will be easier. You should have spent two minutes on brightness and contrast, and probably would have been better off using a pattern disc like the AVS calibration disc or any BD movie with THX optimizer.
Unfortunately, if you're interested in DIY calibration, you're going to have to DIY.
Michael
jhughy2010 likes this.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...=bd9+demo+disc

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #5555 of 5559 Old Today, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Zoyd,

Updating from 3.1.6 to 3.1.8 to 3.1.9 I experienced the following:

Regarding the test patterns: in 3.1.6 they work. In 3.1.9 some of them show black (0:0:0), as pointed out above. And 3.1.8 shows a sort of intermediate behaviour: when selecting a pattern, screen shows black (0:0:0) for a split second, and then the selected pattern is displayed. And yes, some of the patterns have been proven very useful to me.

When selecting the PAL/SECAM colorspace in 3.1.8 and 3.1.9, the targets for saturation sweeps (the small squares) on the CIE diagram are those for HDTV-REC 709. Primaries and secondaries targets are properly shown, as are the Color Checker targets. The calculation of sweeps on the measurements tab seems to be correct though, as are Saturation-luminance and Saturation-shifts graphs. In 3.1.6 saturation sweeps were correctly shown on the CIE.

What happend to the AXIS Colorchecker in 3.1.8 and 3.1.9? I found this a very valuable feature in 3.1.6. In fact, when using HCFR as generator, it was the only colorchecker which allowed luminance sweeps (for primaries). Sure, I can manually adjust stimulus level in the generator set up (for, say, 4, 8, 10 levels....) and run primaries and secondaries after each adjustment, but that would be a rather cumbersome way of doing. Could we please have AXIS back?

Thanks for all the good work!
post #5556 of 5559 Old Today, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
No, there isn't. That's one of the disadvantages of open source software. The fact that the program still exists is due to zoyd's continued efforts, for which he should continue to get thanks from everyone here.
The new guide linked to in that thread is better at explaining the newer technology sets, but focuses more on using commercial software.
Don't spend a lot of time on any aspect of calibration until you've been through the whole process several times. Once you understand what you are doing, it will make more sense and the workflow will be easier. You should have spent two minutes on brightness and contrast, and probably would have been better off using a pattern disc like the AVS calibration disc or any BD movie with THX optimizer.
Unfortunately, if you're interested in DIY calibration, you're going to have to DIY.
Michael
Ok thank you. So you recommend sticking with the guide for HCFR? I'm only about 1/4 through the process. I'm pretty slow and methodical.

I noticed on "movie" mode on my TV (Sharp SQ) that I have a expanded (or advanced... can't remember) color gamut versus standard. Should I choose standard or expanded?

I also saw that "resolution enhancement" defaulted at Mode 2 (which it says is suitable for still images). I turned it to Mode 1 and could hardly tell a difference as compared to 2 (although the color did seem to change... how it changed I don't know). With this feature off though I could definitely tell a difference with text (I have an HTPC connected). Should I leave this feature on (probably Mode 2 as it suggests this is suitable for moving images).

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #5557 of 5559 Old Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 374
The answers to your questions are why you're using HFCR in the first place.
You want your set on whatever settings give you the most control, so I would guess advanced vs. standard.
Then you run sweeps (quickly ) at each of the other settings and compare them to your target. Differences will be especially obvious on the gamma curve.
You want to start with whatever default settings the set has that has you closest to your target. Then you go from there.
As I say, just run through the process quickly a couple of times until you get the hang of it. You can always reset the TV to its defaults and start over (yes, we've all done that once or twice ).
Have fun!
Michael
jhughy2010 likes this.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...=bd9+demo+disc

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #5558 of 5559 Old Today, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower View Post
Zoyd,

Updating from 3.1.6 to 3.1.8 to 3.1.9 I experienced the following:

Regarding the test patterns: in 3.1.6 they work. In 3.1.9 some of them show black (0:0:0), as pointed out above. And 3.1.8 shows a sort of intermediate behaviour: when selecting a pattern, screen shows black (0:0:0) for a split second, and then the selected pattern is displayed. And yes, some of the patterns have been proven very useful to me.

When selecting the PAL/SECAM colorspace in 3.1.8 and 3.1.9, the targets for saturation sweeps (the small squares) on the CIE diagram are those for HDTV-REC 709. Primaries and secondaries targets are properly shown, as are the Color Checker targets. The calculation of sweeps on the measurements tab seems to be correct though, as are Saturation-luminance and Saturation-shifts graphs. In 3.1.6 saturation sweeps were correctly shown on the CIE.

What happend to the AXIS Colorchecker in 3.1.8 and 3.1.9? I found this a very valuable feature in 3.1.6. In fact, when using HCFR as generator, it was the only colorchecker which allowed luminance sweeps (for primaries). Sure, I can manually adjust stimulus level in the generator set up (for, say, 4, 8, 10 levels....) and run primaries and secondaries after each adjustment, but that would be a rather cumbersome way of doing. Could we please have AXIS back?

Thanks for all the good work!
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've fixed a few things and uploaded a 3.1.9b version.
  • Fixed display of advanced generator patterns.
  • Fixed CIE diagram display of saturation levels in non-Rec709 color spaces.
  • Added back the 8 step RGB luminance axis scan.
  • Fixed auto lock on primaries patterns in DVD mode.

Last edited by zoyd; Today at 01:33 PM.
post #5559 of 5559 Old Today, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone,

Which LCD EDR meter profile is best for using a i1d3 pro for use on a Sony XBR900B?

Also, if anyone has experience calibrating this set could you offer any tips as I only had experience with plasma in the past thanks.

Sony 55XBR900B w/Sub
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS4 - Directv Genie HR-44 3/C41 mini's, Sunday Ticket & MLB Xtra innings
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration