HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 191 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 193Likes

post #5701 of 5724 Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It's built into HCFR; the computer generates the images on the display, which works for those of us using HTPCs as our primary source. If your source is your BDP, you are better sending the images from that device.
I think I'll give that a try this weekend. I suppose I need to have my HTPC setup as a dual display device for this; one for the calibration software and one for the images?

Do you use a specific pixel format for the pattern generation? 4:4:4 or 4:2:2? I believe the F8500 is nattively 4:2:2 so that may be best. My assumption is you don't want to use RGB Full or Limited as the color processing would be done on the video card then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5724 Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by molfious View Post
I think I'll give that a try this weekend. I suppose I need to have my HTPC setup as a dual display device for this; one for the calibration software and one for the images?
I just use one display, set up as it normally is when I watch anything.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #5703 of 5724 Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions you guys are making the learning curve a lot easier!
post #5704 of 5724 Old 03-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, I have a Vizio P602ui-B3. Has anyone calibrated their screen, using HCFR?
post #5705 of 5724 Old 03-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I been searching the web for days now, but al information looks outdated. I have a Datacolor Spyder Pro/Elite but I cant get it to work. Can someone make me a step by step walkthrough?
post #5706 of 5724 Old 03-28-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprawks View Post
Hi, I have a Vizio P602ui-B3. Has anyone calibrated their screen, using HCFR?
Try the dedicated thread. I'm sure someone has... if not then "most" Vizio settings are the same on the various models and I'm sure their is someone that can give you pointers for general calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkjan de Hert View Post
I been searching the web for days now, but al information looks outdated. I have a Datacolor Spyder Pro/Elite but I cant get it to work. Can someone make me a step by step walkthrough?
You cannot get it to work with HCFR?

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #5707 of 5724 Old 03-29-2015, 10:03 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Do you use a specific pixel format for the pattern generation? 4:4:4 or 4:2:2? I believe the F8500 is nattively 4:2:2 so that may be best. My assumption is you don't want to use RGB Full or Limited as the color processing would be done on the video card then.
Yes, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor by setting up the internal generator. Once you're set up to match your BD player's output, you are good to go. You'll want to use RGB full from the PC with raw output and set the generator to 16-235. I also suggest saving the MPEG version of the GCD disk and getting a player that will also match up with your BD for occasional non-HCFR generated patterns. I've found VCL Media Player to work well for this purpose.

In addition to pure convenience and efficiency, you'll be able to customize the number of divisions in a sweep (such as for saturation tracking).

Many of us have found that we are unable to match up the CIE at 100% color/luminance (or that 100% does not look good for various reasons) and opt for the 75% color space. The 75% space is, in essence, making the most out of a particular display's capabilities. Sweeping saturation over 8-10 points is taking this concept 1 step beyond. Combining the multi-point sat sweeps with color check patterns (and optimizing dE on color check) has provided me with the best picture on display's I've calibrated. (Thanks again, user nulsul!)

Once HCFR is generating patterns you can literally collect a 90 pt sweep (66 pt sat sweep + 24pt color check) while you take a short break. You're back and it's done. You can, for instance, make one adjustment to your gamma settings, and take a sweep in just a few seconds. This is particularly helpful when one point on the curve affects the point ahead and behind the point you're adjusting.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Vizio M652i-B2....................HCFR 3.1.6
Vizio E600i-B3.....................i1 Display Pro
Sharp LC-70C8470U............ControlCAL Elite X5 Edition v2
Onkyo TX-SR606.................AVSHD-709
PS-3
Homegrown HTPC
post #5708 of 5724 Old 03-29-2015, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkjan de Hert View Post
I have a Spyder4Pro and got it working by not installing the software that came with the device. Then let Windows find it as new hardware, then select choose a location. That location would be in HCFR drivers folder, then it will become a meter option in HCFR.
post #5709 of 5724 Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstrix View Post
Yes, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor by setting up the internal generator. Once you're set up to match your BD player's output, you are good to go. You'll want to use RGB full from the PC with raw output and set the generator to 16-235. I also suggest saving the MPEG version of the GCD disk and getting a player that will also match up with your BD for occasional non-HCFR generated patterns. I've found VCL Media Player to work well for this purpose.

In addition to pure convenience and efficiency, you'll be able to customize the number of divisions in a sweep (such as for saturation tracking).

Many of us have found that we are unable to match up the CIE at 100% color/luminance (or that 100% does not look good for various reasons) and opt for the 75% color space. The 75% space is, in essence, making the most out of a particular display's capabilities. Sweeping saturation over 8-10 points is taking this concept 1 step beyond. Combining the multi-point sat sweeps with color check patterns (and optimizing dE on color check) has provided me with the best picture on display's I've calibrated. (Thanks again, user nulsul!)

Once HCFR is generating patterns you can literally collect a 90 pt sweep (66 pt sat sweep + 24pt color check) while you take a short break. You're back and it's done. You can, for instance, make one adjustment to your gamma settings, and take a sweep in just a few seconds. This is particularly helpful when one point on the curve affects the point ahead and behind the point you're adjusting.
Thanks Basstrix, any reason I wouldn't use MKV over MPEG? Also, I seem to be having an issue with viewing the y target clearly. The window won't scroll all the way down and I can't seem to find a way to fix this. Anyone have an ideas?
post #5710 of 5724 Old 03-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Thanks Basstrix, any reason I wouldn't use MKV over MPEG? Also, I seem to be having an issue with viewing the y target clearly. The window won't scroll all the way down and I can't seem to find a way to fix this. Anyone have an ideas?

Right next to the drop down box where you select the pattern you want to display, there are two up/down arrows. Use those arrows to expand the measurement boxes and you will be able to see the Y row clearly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5711 of 5724 Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
Right next to the drop down box where you select the pattern you want to display, there are two up/down arrows. Use those arrows to expand the measurement boxes and you will be able to see the Y row clearly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank god, couldn't figure that out for the life of me
post #5712 of 5724 Old 03-29-2015, 03:32 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
For some reason unknown to me, the MKV files are much harder to navigate from the video player. I've only tried 2 different players for the MKV, however, so your mileage may vary.

BTW, that should have read VLC media player in my prior post.

Vizio M652i-B2....................HCFR 3.1.6
Vizio E600i-B3.....................i1 Display Pro
Sharp LC-70C8470U............ControlCAL Elite X5 Edition v2
Onkyo TX-SR606.................AVSHD-709
PS-3
Homegrown HTPC
post #5713 of 5724 Old 03-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstrix View Post
For some reason unknown to me, the MKV files are much harder to navigate from the video player. I've only tried 2 different players for the MKV, however, so your mileage may vary.

BTW, that should have read VLC media player in my prior post.
I typically use MPC-HC. I have already downloaded the MKV so probably won't get the MPEG file unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
post #5714 of 5724 Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
I have a Spyder4Pro and got it working by not installing the software that came with the device. Then let Windows find it as new hardware, then select choose a location. That location would be in HCFR drivers folder, then it will become a meter option in HCFR.
That's true for i1 sensors (i1Pro, i1Display, Colormunki etc.) as well. If you also want to be able to run the software that came with the device, you can have both drivers installed, and select the appropriate one depending on which software you want to run.
post #5715 of 5724 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Is it even possible to get offsets or bias level across the board even when gain adjustments affects offset? Or is it just not possible on every monitor or television.
post #5716 of 5724 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It's possible, it's just tedious. You need to go back and forth to get the best results.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #5717 of 5724 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It's possible, it's just tedious. You need to go back and forth to get the best results.
It seems like brightness, contrast, and even the backlight has some affect on the dark end of the grayscale with my set. Almost forgot to mention the static gamma has an affect as well. I was thinking it would or should work independently of brightness, etc.
post #5718 of 5724 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

That is correct. Nothing is "independent." That is why it is so important to turn off all the automatic "features" before you even get started.
Any lights in the room will have an effect, too.
jhughy2010 likes this.

post #5719 of 5724 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Liked: 2
I was wondering if there was any AVS members out there in Southern California that can help me calibrate my Vizio for a nominal fee. I am physically not able to calibrate the tv myself with a meter and HCFR.

Please PM me if you have calibrated a P series before and in So Ca.

Thanks.
post #5720 of 5724 Old Today, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Hmm, I had been thinking a few weeks ago or so zoyd and thinking about Ted's disc. How nice it would be if it was possible to have saturation sweeps line up with Ted's work flow… A drop down option or the order of the patterns. As one has to jump past 100% colours then 25%, 50%, 75% of each colour then jump all the way back to 100%.

Since HCFR wants it all in order.
post #5721 of 5724 Old Today, 11:34 AM

For the X-Rite i1 DisplayPro should I be loading a correction file? If so, where do I get it?
post #5722 of 5724 Old Today, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

No, as you wont have a Spectro. You'd get the correction data/file if you had a Spectro.
post #5723 of 5724 Old Today, 12:15 PM

Thanks xvfx - that about observer mode? Not sure how that works as I can't find it in the help file.
post #5724 of 5724 Old Today, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Observer should be Default and if you can, pick the display from the drop down thats closest to your display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration