HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 386Likes
post #6211 of 6213 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
No need to send me any data, I did swap dC and dH in the calculation - thanks for the catch!
You are more than welcome, I'm glad I was able to help and thanks for the updates.

I think something went wrong with the RGB levels to HSV levels transformation. I calibrated an older Epson projector to 75% saturation. The 100% primaries and secondaries are all oversaturated and have lower than reference luminance. R and C have near-perfect hue. See the attached file. All this is in line qualitatively with the RGB levels for each of the six colours. However, switching to HSV levels gives an S value smaller than 100% for both R and M. So in HSV values they appear undersaturated!

In other files B or G appear oversaturated in RGB, but incorrectly undersaturated in HSV.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RGBvsHSV.zip (12.0 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6213 Old Today, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower View Post

In other files B or G appear oversaturated in RGB, but incorrectly undersaturated in HSV.
This is because the saturation error is calculated as the distance to the white point in 3 dimensions and not the distance of the projection onto the xy plane. So when you are under-luminance you will pull the saturation number down with it and why you can sometimes trade luminance for saturation (or vice-versa) in minimizing dE. If you take the example you uploaded and set the red Y such that the luminance error is close to zero the saturation bar will go positive.
post #6213 of 6213 Unread Today, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well, it turns out I just had my brightness set to high. This made 16 appear as a dark grey instead of black or video black. I'm still watching TV on this Toshiba 46sv709u. Experienced the artifacts that appear after adjusting color brightness, now I've solved that by increasing color while monitoring the CIE chart, thanks for the help Zoyd and the rest of you guys, now to start from scratch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page